• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini LED to be Sony's 2024 flag ship TV

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Rac3r

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

"There’s no perfect display device, admits Sony Distinguished Engineer Toshiyuku Ogura, but he seems to believe that Mini LED has the greatest potential, when it comes to colour volume, brightness and viewing angle."

Bojji

"There’s no perfect display device, admits Sony Distinguished Engineer Toshiyuku Ogura, but he seems to believe that Mini LED has the greatest potential, when it comes to colour volume, brightness and viewing angle."

I can't believe he speaks this bullshit about viewing angles, unless they develop some new LCD tech (other than VA and IPS) it will never have "greatest potential" in this regard.

White screen, the most common scene in movies.

Last edited:

Reallink

Pretty telling that they chose to demo them in Vivid mode, against their low end OLED model with less than half the peak brightness of high end OLED models. Samsung/LG display arms probably raised (or didn't lower prices) on panels this years, while some Chinese firm offered them a bargain on LCD panels.

Can't really blame them though, as their OLEDs typically run $1000 - $1500 more expensive than their competitors for a few barely perceptible gains (and several regressions). Then again, they shouldn't have abandoned OLED research more than decade ago, and they wouldn't have to be buying their technology from the Koreans at inflated prices.

Last edited:

Bojji

Whatever... it's still ips with ips glow and all those problems.
Or even worse - they put this backlight under va... yuck

IPS glow and low contrast without LD or shit viewing angles of VA and black smearing.

They slapped "mini led" branding on old tech and many people forgot general issues of LCD technology.

Sony is into it because it's cheaper to produce so they can get higher margins.

I have seen many LCD screens in my life and not even one of them had good viewing angles. IPS is much better than VA but worse in other aspects.

Core LCD tech hasn't advanced that much in years, most advances are done in back light tech.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

IPS glow and low contrast without LD or shit viewing angles of VA and black smearing.

They slapped "mini led" branding on old tech and many people forgot general issues of LCD technology.

Sony is into it because it's cheaper to produce so they can get higher margins.

I have seen many LCD screens in my life and not even one of them had good viewing angles. IPS is much better than VA but worse in other aspects.

Core LCD tech hasn't advanced that much in years, most advances are done in back light tech.

Blooming as well, I could never.

I wouldn’t say blooming was entirely removed on our demonstration display, but it was the most suppressed by far I’ve seen with any mini LED screen to date.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No it isn't IPS.
VA looks great on angle.
If off angle it could be a issue for some but isn't for me.
No va doesn't look good at an angle.
Even straight on, middle is darker than edges. VA cone gamma exists for a reason.
Off angle, the gamam suffers too. not to mention extreme blur which cannot be helped on va.

I will take ips over best va any day... that said - oled is light years ahead of both.

Btw. IPS glow is on every ips monitor. It's not a defect. It's just how the tech works. Even with very low brightness. We can add ips bleed to that which is a production defect and that's... on every ips screen essentailly.
Like Black Crush

Sony-X95-L-Review-Chasing-OLED-with-Less-Zones-vs-Samsung-TCL-Mini-LED-TVs-14-41-screenshot.png
I never found that to be a problem. Maybe vincent ses his stupid hgig even for movies....
OLED tv should be viewed with minimal light possible. If your shadow area in a movie is 20 nits and your room is 500 nits, that's obviously going to fight and obfuscate some of the shadowed areas.
Remember, the oled light floor is 0. Pixels can have any brightness. Not only on/off or few basic levels like mini leds.
Besides - LG created Dynamic Tone Mapping exactly for that reason. For movies especially. DTM would lift that area right up and it would look awesome.
I've switched from hgig to dtm after 2 years and I couldn't be happier. i also disabled tpc and gsr (dimming over time when no radical brightness change was detected). I have only c1 though. This is fixed on c3/g3.

I am not saying there isn't some black crush but it's way overblown out of proportions and dont exist when using dtm or many of other lift black or other settings available to you in the tv.
And that's still camera capture. When viewing in the middle of the night, your eyes have very good dynamic range.
When I got the tv, I was playing some horror games and even lowered in-game brightness to have it pitch black. lol it's like vr in the middle of the night

King Dazzar

See that all sounds plausible up to the last part. And I prefer my Sony LCD over my OLED's, but there is no way currently that they'll beat emissive for off angle viewing.

S0ULZB0URNE

No va doesn't look good at an angle.
Even straight on, middle is darker than edges. VA cone gamma exists for a reason.
Off angle, the gamam suffers too. not to mention extreme blur which cannot be helped on va.

I will take ips over best va any day... that said - oled is light years ahead of both.

Btw. IPS glow is on every ips monitor. It's not a defect. It's just how the tech works. Even with very low brightness. We can add ips bleed to that which is a production defect and that's... on every ips screen essentailly.

I never found that to be a problem. Maybe vincent ses his stupid hgig even for movies....
OLED tv should be viewed with minimal light possible. If your shadow area in a movie is 20 nits and your room is 500 nits, that's obviously going to fight and obfuscate some of the shadowed areas.
Remember, the oled light floor is 0. Pixels can have any brightness. Not only on/off or few basic levels like mini leds.
Besides - LG created Dynamic Tone Mapping exactly for that reason. For movies especially. DTM would lift that area right up and it would look awesome.
I've switched from hgig to dtm after 2 years and I couldn't be happier. i also disabled tpc and gsr (dimming over time when no radical brightness change was detected). I have only c1 though. This is fixed on c3/g3.

I am not saying there isn't some black crush but it's way overblown out of proportions and dont exist when using dtm or many of other lift black or other settings available to you in the tv.
And that's still camera capture. When viewing in the middle of the night, your eyes have very good dynamic range.
When I got the tv, I was playing some horror games and even lowered in-game brightness to have it pitch black. lol it's like vr in the middle of the night
Yes it does look great on Angle.

4:15 in

IPS and it's glowing blacks are terrible in comparison to a good VA.

S0ULZB0URNE

no. I had like 10 va monitors. I am not getting fooled again. Looks like shit in reality.
Angles are fine on bright scenes but terrible on dark/shadowy/grey scenes.
You obviously never had one on the level of the ZD9/Z9D.

Besides...you lost all credibility saying IPS was better than VA🤦‍♂️ and anyone who is in the know won't take you serious anymore 🤷

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You obviously never had one on the level of the ZD9/Z9D.

Besides...you lost all credibility saying IPS was better than VA🤦‍♂️ and anyone who is in the know won't take you serious anymore 🤷
It doesn't matter. VA is VA. Zones or not. It was, is and will be shitty tech.
Good IPS, with glossy screen, no backlight bleeding and limited ips glow can look good.
I will die on that hill. I extensively tested tens of monitors few years back before I got oled.

Stupid lg 27uk650 looked way better than 2x the price va monitors
edit: let me leiterate. Contrast is not everything. VA will always have bad va glow/contrast viewing angles. terrible motion and pixel response. always.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

It doesn't matter. VA is VA. Zones or not. It was, is and will be shitty tech.
Good IPS, with glossy screen, no backlight bleeding and limited ips glow can look good.
I will die on that hill. I extensively tested tens of monitors few years back before I got oled.

Stupid lg 27uk650 looked way better than 2x the price va monitors
It does matter.
Sony(the leaders in TV makers) again is choosing a VA panel for its flagship for a reason.
IPS is trash and Sony is better than LG.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It does matter.
Sony(the leaders in TV makers) again is choosing a VA panel for its flagship for a reason.
IPS is trash and Sony is better than LG.
Sony choosing VA for this is dooming the whole project.
Off angles gamma of dark scenes, middle of the screen being darker because of gamme (at least when viewing up close, not a problem on tv far away) and pixel response are not going to be fixed.
va is va. lcd is lcd. Why are you arguing facts.
They are inventing better backlight. It's not fixing ANY va issues.

Arioco

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony choosing VA for this is dooming the whole project.
Off angles gamma of dark scenes, middle of the screen being darker because of gamme (at least when viewing up close, not a problem on tv far away) and pixel response are not going to be fixed.
va is va. lcd is lcd. Why are you arguing facts.
They are inventing better backlight. It's not fixing ANY va issues.
It didn't doom the Sony in 2016/17
Keep repeating off angle nobody has debated that so you are talking to yourself.

King Dazzar

Not sure arguing view points in absolutes is realistic or constructive.

I've seen rubbish IPS and I've seen a superb one too recently with Samsung. Surprisingly good. But also in my experience, not all VA panels are the same either. The CSOT ones will usually show a blue tint at times with any light diffuse type blooming, whilst AUO sourced ones are far better.

As for pixel response times. That can vary form TV to TV too and even size, within the same tier. I've seen very, very fast VA panels and slower ones too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom