• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini LED to be Sony's 2024 flag ship TV

Meicyn

Gold Member
Can we stop attacking?
I dunno man, you started it. Remember when you said this?

Then you don't understand how to consume critical content on any tv. not just oled.
You dictated to me an inability to scrutinize what I can see with my very eyes, all because I game in a bright living room for most of the day. Meanwhile, the sun does this thing called setting you know, which is followed by this thing called night. Then my very bright living room becomes quite dark, and that’s the time when I watch movies. Naturally I notice the blooming on my LED TV. I’m not stupid, I know exactly what the strengths and weaknesses of LCD technology are. You on the other hand, won’t acknowledge problems with OLED.

I’ll be frank, you’re a hypocrite of the highest order. You constantly move goal posts in discussions, you dismiss data and photographic evidence when presented, and then you play the victim when you’re the one passive aggressively insulting others first. Don’t dish it if you can’t take it.

There's a big misconception about how bright FALD LCDs can make highlights outside of test patterns I agree, but to me the real advantage is just overall bright scenes, for example in Forbidden West, when you're in the desert its significantly brighter on my ZD9 than my Sony OLED. It's disappointing on the OLED when you see how the LCD handles it.

Granted that's the ZD9 and not much compares so most people can't get that (well you can buy 2nd hand but obviously most don't want to), but if Sony is going back to it with this TV maybe people can have it new again.
The Z9D was a special TV, and pretty much what Sony is going for with this year's mini-LED flagship. The only other mini-LED that's impressed me is the newer 16" MacBook Pros.

I got to mess around with the HX-3110 a few months ago. If the X95M or Z9M or whatever it's called gets anywhere close to it, then it's going to be the most impressive consumer display of 2024–unless Samsung brings micro-LED mainstream, which I don't see happening for at least 3-5 years.
oGWwyOL.jpg

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

yeah it's that one. I had few of these years ago. One of better SDR ips monitors I've tested. At least with right settings which I don't remember.
Sure, it's personal preference to some degree

Fair enough. I already explained my pov though. Sony tvs are not "better" for movies. there is no special magic or processing here. You can raise blacks in many ways on lg oleds too.
We are splitting hairs here.
For gaming yes of course. LG has more functions but it's not a big difference

Anyone still arguing lcd vs oled should get fact checked S0ULZB0URNE S0ULZB0URNE
Bpy6xI5.png

SQ3AweI.png

The only area where BEST 240hz monitors can match oled is input lag. But then you add pixel response times for image to actually move
hQJ8yfS.png
Of course LG wins nowadays.
They have best tvs and some of best monitors.
And don't tell me what is a tv and what is a monitor. I use c1 for a monitor. It's all the same category.

G8 is certainly way better than usual trash VA. 240hz is doing nothing to poor va pixel response but black frame response maybe so.
But yeah, I guarantee you 27uk650 have better image quality... like better colors, better viewing angles and so on. Of course it's only 60hz so it's a trade off
Again lol Y You mentioning IPS.
Sony tv's put out a better picture than LG and it's dated tech.
C1 isn't a monitor.
Those graphs mean nothing to me.
LG loses and been losing vs Sony the last few years.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The Revenant (2015) at the 19:55 mark.

Godspeed in your quest my OLED bro.
yeah that scene is dark as heck. I skimmed some scenes and that movie in general is very dark and when sun shines, it's very bright.
It's seems a bit unique in this way. Must be why hdtvtest uses it for this test.
Anyway. here is the shot.... yeah it's a mess to capture with iphone. I turned night mode off because it made a mess.
ignore the soft look. iphone does that...
IyYCYAV.jpg

Could be a bit crushed, considering it's pitch black here (tested with pc leds off too but hard to capture a pic)
Can't say it ever bothered me. I need to finally watch this movie in hdr. it looks fucking awesome.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Again lol Y You mentioning IPS.
Sony tv's put out a better picture than LG and it's dated tech.
C1 isn't a monitor.
Those graphs mean nothing to me.
LG loses and been losing vs Sony the last few years.
Ips is ips. best lcd tech.
sony can do different processing. of course. thats why there are different brands. small difference though
c1 isn't a monitor? why not? who say so? It is to me. Full rgb, 120hz, 4k and other resolutions. It is a monitor.

I really dont care anymore

Lethal01

Not sure some deny it but the major flaw with oled has always been crushing blacks and overly dark appearance and scenes with quick transitions fail to light up enough even. All this talk about oled colour accuracy goes out the window.

One major problem with LCD/LED is motion resolution, so how much improvement does this Sony 2024 mini LED have in that regard?

Nah both have the major flaw of motion blur, 20 years and they still cant compete with CRT motion clarity

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The Z9D was a special TV, and pretty much what Sony is going for with this year's mini-LED flagship. The only other mini-LED that's impressed me is the newer 16" MacBook Pros.

I got to mess around with the HX-3110 a few months ago. If the X95M or Z9M or whatever it's called gets anywhere close to it, then it's going to be the most impressive consumer display of 2024–unless Samsung brings micro-LED mainstream, which I don't see happening for at least 3-5 years.
oGWwyOL.jpg

I wonder how much it would cost for Sony to make me a custom 65" HX-3110.

Minsc

Gold Member
Maybe buy a good LED with more than 60 zones next time?

1 zone per pixel please and I'm in.

Edit: Really though, what's the point of HDR if the tone-mapping has to be shared between pixels that should be lit and not lit. Logically HDR fails completely if it cannot be turned on/off by individual pixels.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Ips is ips. best lcd tech.
sony can do different processing. of course. thats why there are different brands. small difference though
c1 isn't a monitor? why not? who say so? It is to me. Full rgb, 120hz, 4k and other resolutions. It is a monitor.

I really dont care anymore
Ips is the worst tv tech period.

Sony processing smokes LG's especially the dated C1.

No it isn't a monitor.

S0ULZB0URNE

1 zone per pixel please and I'm in.

Edit: Really though, what's the point of HDR if the tone-mapping has to be shared between pixels that should be lit and not lit. Logically HDR fails completely if it cannot be turned on/off by individual pixels.
No HDR fails when ABL kicks in with OLED.

Peak brightness with HDR is where the industry is going with one tech struggling to keep up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I dunno man, you started it. Remember when you said this?

You dictated to me an inability to scrutinize what I can see with my very eyes, all because I game in a bright living room for most of the day. Meanwhile, the sun does this thing called setting you know, which is followed by this thing called night. Then my very bright living room becomes quite dark, and that’s the time when I watch movies. Naturally I notice the blooming on my LED TV. I’m not stupid, I know exactly what the strengths and weaknesses of LCD technology are. You on the other hand, won’t acknowledge problems with OLED.

I’ll be frank, you’re a hypocrite of the highest order. You constantly move goal posts in discussions, you dismiss data and photographic evidence when presented, and then you play the victim when you’re the one passive aggressively insulting others first. Don’t dish it if you can’t take it.
I don't see it that way. That's your pov.
I am posting facts and my observations.
Oh I've acknowledged the problems alright. it's you who posts nonsense about watching in broad daylight and how one tv tech is better than other in this conditions which is nonsense.
In your post, you expressed that you watch in this room in broad daylight.
Dont need to be a smartass and tell me that there is a night in your room too. You fucking smartass

Ips is the worst tv tech period.

Sony processing smokes LG's especially the dated C1.

No it isn't a monitor.
wrong wrong wrong.

And why do you ask about c1 being a monitor? what does it fucking care if lg puts "monitor" label on a box? Why are you so fucking petty. just stop.

S0ULZB0URNE

I don't see it that way. That's your pov.
I am posting facts and my observations.
Oh I've acknowledged the problems alright. it's you who posts nonsense about watching in broad daylight and how one tv tech is better than other in this conditions which is nonsense.
In your post, you expressed that you watch in this room in broad daylight.
Dont need to be a smartass and tell me that there is a night in your room too. You fucking smartass

wrong wrong wrong.

And why do you ask about c1 being a monitor? what does it fucking care if lg puts "monitor" label on a box? Why are you so fucking petty. just stop.
Everything you post is wrong wrong wrong with the ips crap being hilarious.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Peak brightness with HDR is where the industry is going with one tech struggling to keep up.
you keep going on the same spiel.
ABL is overrated issue. It's fine.
Nobody wants more brightness except for reviewers. every oled user tells you they are blinded by oled even with it's ABL oh so scary dimming on full screen white screen.
Oled is the best for hdr. You cannot say it;s not. You act like brightness is all there is to hdr.
Everything you post is wrong wrong wrong with the ips crap being hilarious.
if you think ips is worse than tn and va, you are just uninformed and not experienced.

Minsc

Gold Member

I mean, that's not wrong either. I guess it's a question of finesse. You're saying it should bother someone more to have nuclear explosion level brightness cause an issue with the TV vs to have something much more precise and calculated to be approximated by zones, or potentially to create a box behind them?

And how does the contrast ratio of MiniLED compare to OLED?

I wonder how much it would cost for Sony to make me a custom 65" HX-3110.
More than a micro-LED, but at least you could offset the cost by never paying to heat your home again.

There aren't many scenes with a high enough APL to kick in ABL so aggressive that it would make HDR less impressive. WOLED is more sensitive than QD-OLED, but we're talking about <0.1% of scenes in all of cinema that would trigger it (1000+ nit APL) for more than a few seconds.

S0ULZB0URNE

you keep going on the same spiel.
ABL is overrated issue. It's fine.
Nobody wants more brightness except for reviewers. every oled user tells you they are blinded by oled even with it's ABL oh so scary dimming on full screen white screen.
Oled is the best for hdr. You cannot say it;s not. You act like brightness is all there is to hdr.

if you think ips is worse than tn and va, you are just uninformed and not experienced.
How is going down to 175 nits a overrated issue 🤣😂😆

The INDUSTRY wants brighter pay attention.

Not having the ability to draw peak highlights is far from the best HDR.

Still talking dumb shit mentioning ips...I'm guessing it's a LG thing with you 🤭

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
More than a micro-LED, but at least you could offset the cost by never paying to heat your home again.

There aren't many scenes with a high enough APL to kick in ABL so aggressive that it would make HDR less impressive. WOLED is more sensitive than QD-OLED, but we're talking about <0.1% of scenes in all of cinema that would trigger it (1000+ nit APL) for more than a few seconds.
yeah but when you open notepad on full screen it gets dimmer(it's still almost 200 nits lol) !!!! oled bad !!!!
he is a fool. don;t waste your breath

Last edited:

Kuranghi

oGWwyOL.jpg

I haven't seen the HX-3110 yet but I did have a quick play with the HX-310 in 2018, was pretty cool to see in person.

Here's hoping I can replace my ZD9. It makes more sense to me why Hisense dropped OLED in 2023 now, maybe they knew/suspected Sony would also reduce focus on OLED since LG and Samsung control the panel supply.

Perhaps they will both go back to it when TCL gets their inkjet printed OLED method going, though Hisense seems reluctant to buy LCD panels from TCL CSoT so maybe just Sony.

I personally can't stand OLED motion, sample and hold motion is bad enough but I prefer how LCD makes it tolerable by way of blurring, ZD9 doing the best job imo.

I get people who own modern OLEDs (mine is a Sony AF9) all the time and show them ZD9 and they make fun of the VA blur/smearing but then when I show them movies they are conflicted because they've long since given up getting their OLEDs to show motion like that.

Here's hoping that ultra-high brightness + an updated X-Motion clarity BFI solution can take the motion to a new level.

S0ULZB0URNE

I mean, that's not wrong either. I guess it's a question of finesse. You're saying it should bother someone more to have nuclear explosion level brightness cause an issue with the TV vs to have something much more precise and calculated to be approximated by zones, or potentially to create a box behind them?

And how does the contrast ratio of MiniLED compare to OLED?
How is missing peak highlights and dimming the screen precise?

You say contrast? I say crushed and floating blacks with macro blocking in dark scenes.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
How is missing peak highlights and dimming the screen precise?

You say contrast? I say crushed and floating blacks with macro blocking in dark scenes.

I guess we'll see! I'm not opposed to changing my mind when the tech makes it to some product I care about. Right now, I've never seen a laptop screen, tablet screen or handheld screen (or PC monitor) that OLED isn't the king of. The OLED screens on all my devices look far better than any other type of screen I've owned.

I don't really buy TVs yearly or multiple times a year, so I can't get as invested in TV tech. But show me a tablet, or portable handheld device that has a better display than the OLED Switch, OLED Deck, or an OLED Lenovo laptop, and I'd probably buy it lol.

S0ULZB0URNE

You can watch 100 nit ota sports and ABL kicks in!

S0ULZB0URNE

I guess we'll see! I'm not opposed to changing my mind when the tech makes it to some product I care about. Right now, I've never seen a laptop screen, tablet screen or handheld screen (or PC monitor) that OLED isn't the king of. The OLED screens on all my devices look far better than any other type of screen I've owned.

I don't really buy TVs yearly or multiple times a year, so I can't get as invested in TV tech. But show me a tablet, or portable handheld device that has a better display than the OLED Switch, OLED Deck, or an OLED Lenovo laptop, and I'd probably buy it lol.
You are absolutely entitled to what makes you happy 😀

Elios83

Eventually the future will be inorganic and based on microled. It's just taking too much long to get there.
OLED has made progress with QD-OLED and LCD with the miniLED.
It will be interesting to see the bloom level on these new flagship Sony TVs and also the improvements on the QD-OLED panels by Samsung.
I won't upgrade TV this year though.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
I did no such thing. QDOLED is capable of very high brightness. The problem is that it comes with significantly higher screen retention issues which is why it’s a nonstarter for me since I game more than I watch movies. I really don’t need to see traces of the Stellaris HUD when I switch to a movie or television viewing.

WOLED had brightness limitations, but MLA on the LG G3 changed that situation. I literally said in my post that you responded to that the upcoming LG G4 is under consideration. It’s right there unedited, feel free to go back and review. If LG resolves motion stutter for sub-40 FPS content while maintaining low latency for gaming, and if they fix their aggressive ABL algorithm when certain static bright elements like a HUD are on screen for awhile, then I may pick up the G4. Though as it stands the upcoming Sony X95M will likely be my pick.

You fucking smartass
lmao

Sony sells a studio mastering monitor and it's LCD not OLED. Sony aren't dumb. If they think they can get the best performance out of LCD, they will only sell LCD

Also the few Sony QD-OLED TV's which have reached the market have had pretty bad burn-in issues, maybe they also don't want to deal with that

OLED cultists can explode

dotnotbot

Sony sells a studio mastering monitor and it's LCD not OLED. Sony aren't dumb. If they think they can get the best performance out of LCD, they will only sell LCD

Also the few Sony QD-OLED TV's which have reached the market have had pretty bad burn-in issues, maybe they also don't want to deal with that

Yes, it's an LCD but it's using Dual-layer tech, big difference from even the best MiniLEDs. Their flagship mastering monitor was an OLED before that.

Dual-layer tech is not only expensive but also very inneficient for larger sizes (and the energy laws are becoming more and more strict).

Last edited:

Bojji

damn, this pic perfectly shows an issue I have been having with lg c3 I bought recently.
green tint across the entire image.

wish I hadnt bought this shit tv .

Green tint? Are you using correct settings?

Yes, it's an LCD but it's using Dual-layer tech, big difference from even the best MiniLEDs.

Dual-layer tech is not only expensive but also very inneficient for larger sizes (and the energy laws become more and more strict).

Hisense made panel like that:

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Green tint? Are you using correct settings?

Hisense made panel like that:

Yeah I know but it failed. Horrible ghosting was one of the main problems and brightness wasn't super impressive for an LCD, newest OLEDs beat it at <50% window sizes and are probably cheaper to manufacture at this point.

Precise and independent control of 1920x1080 dimming zones may also be too big of a challenge for SOCs used in current TVs.

Last edited:

CGNoire

"There’s no perfect display device, admits Sony Distinguished Engineer Toshiyuku Ogura, but he seems to believe that Mini LED has the greatest potential, when it comes to colour volume, brightness and viewing angle."
Everything but Motion Resolution :(

It has nothing to do with whether miniled is better, and everything to do with Sony being able to make them cheaper, get more margin. The mastering is part of it - they’ll sell the monitor, encourage 4000 nit mastering and promote their own tvs as the only way to actually watch that content properly.
The brightness game is moronic. I hate lcd tvs.

CGNoire

Forget about it, manufacturing costs for large panels face certain technological issues that appear impossible to overcome at this stage. Best estimates put a 10 inch panel costing over a thousand dollars in 5 years time with TV size panels still costing tens of thousands. At this point it's not going to be a thing even in ten years time.
The Horror

Top Bottom