• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mini LED to be Sony's 2024 flag ship TV

I’ve got a QN90A as well. It’s been great so far. What’s your experience with yours been like?

I love my QN90A. I have no reason to replace it besides greed for something new and superior. The QN90A is superior in native contrast, black levels, and local dimming to the QN90B and QN90C. It's true successor is the QN95C.

I owned 65" QN90A, tested a QN90B and currently own a QN90C. On paper the 90A may be better, but in actual use, the 90C is easily the best of the 3.

zeroluck

Lets say I never had moment that put a huge smile on my face when using my OLED compared to my MiniLED. Was playing Spider-Man PC with Reshade to increase brightness/contrast to a ridiculous level enough to trigger my brain into thinking I am in Manhattan during a sunny afternoon.

Bojji

And yet he awarded Sony QD-OLED title of the best tv of 2023 and there were mini LEDs far brighter than this tv. It can do 1100 nits on 10% window and 200 nits full screen so according to some people here it's garbage;

mSbgBcz.jpg

"Nit race" is like adding more cameras to smartphones, something that producers use to differentiate their tvs every year but also something that procures diminishing returns at some point.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
And yet he awarded Sony QD-OLED title of the best tv of 2023 and there were mini LEDs far brighter than this tv. It can do 1100 nits on 10% window and 200 nits full screen so according to some people here it's garbage;

mSbgBcz.jpg

"Nit race" is like adding more cameras to smartphones, something that producers use to differentiate their tvs every year but also something that procures diminishing returns at some point.

The QD-OLEDs are fine besides the burn in risk. The LG OLEDs are bullshit with their on paper brightness measurements due to heavy nerfs from ABL.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

mSbgBcz.jpg

And MLA with heatsink can do even better than A95 on 50% and smaller windows if someone really wants those nits. Since HDR content is mastered with diffuse white usually targeting 200 nits, in most cases you don't need (much) more on a 100% window to accurately display HDR scenes as bright highlights take small portions of screen, this is the reason why 10% window is an industry standard for measuring HDR brightness. There are some exceptions like that Matrix scene with white color blasting at 800 nits and covering most of the screen but they are rare. For content mastering it's important to have all the nits you can get for those rare occasions but just for watching and enjoying movies - not really. Many movies don't even exceed 600-800 nits on the very brightest highlights and they still look amazing.

screenshot-2023-03-11-at-11.07.06-am.jpg

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

mSbgBcz.jpg

Doesn't hold it.

magnumpy

the advantage of the brighter tv is not that it would always be blindingly bright, but simply having the capability that it could produce that brightness. for example your eyes are capable of seeing a much wider range of brightness than current TVs can produce, with your iris naturally and automatically adjusting to that level of brightness. it happens without you thinking about it.

it's like walking around with a pair of sunglasses on vs. no sunglasses. some activities like driving it is better to have sunglasses on, but if you're watching a movie or inspecting a work of art it's obviously better not to have the sunglasses.

What makes it better?

• No local dimming bug
  • Better backlight control, much better control over desaturating small bright elements
  • Barely any noticeable DSE
  • Game Motion Plus on my 90C (and other C series) is actually good. I always turn it on when I play FFXVI and Diablo 4.
  • Game bar with useful stuff like being able to quickly change between custom picture profiles, turn GMP on and off, etc
  • You can pick static tone mapping. Or if you want a light cannon turn on dynamic.

What makes it better?
RTings discusses the QN90A vs. QN90B vs. QN90C in the review

The whole point of Mini-LED's is to allow better control of local dimming, reducing the significance of native contrast ratio. So you don't need to care about the underlying panel tech (VA vs. IPS) as much, or at all. The QN90C has better color gamut and volume, better color accuracy, and better local dimming tech. And the fact that it now uses an ADS (IPS) panel means it has superior viewing angles over VA without the need for a fucking wide-angle anti-reflective filter that smears reflections into rainbows that cover the entire screen, one of the biggest complaints about the 90A and 90B and other Mini-LED TV's of that era vs. the 90C. Other manufacturers who sell Mini-LED TV's have also given up on the fucking rainbow reflections filters because everyone hated them, except Sony (sigh). For gamers, IPS panels also handle VRR better than VA, an inherent advantage of IPS tech.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
RTings discusses the QN90A vs. QN90B vs. QN90C in the review

The whole point of Mini-LED's is to allow better control of local dimming, reducing the significance of native contrast ratio. So you don't need to care about the underlying panel tech (VA vs. IPS) as much, or at all. The QN90C has better color gamut and volume, better color accuracy, and better local dimming tech. And the fact that it now uses an ADS (IPS) panel means it has superior viewing angles over VA without the need for a fucking wide-angle anti-reflective filter that smears reflections into rainbows that cover the entire screen, one of the biggest complaints about the 90A and 90B and other Mini-LED TV's of that era vs. the 90C. Other manufacturers who sell Mini-LED TV's have also given up on the fucking rainbow reflections filters because everyone hated them, except Sony (sigh). For gamers, IPS panels also handle VRR better than VA, an inherent advantage of IPS tech.

The 90A beats the 90C in Contrast, Blooming, Lighting Zone Transitions, HDR Brightness, Color Gamut, and Black Uniformity. I'm not seeing this victory you guys are pronouncing for the 90C. Especially when the whole point of Samsung's Neo QLED line was to improve contrast and mitigate blooming.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Didn't you hear Heisenberg. Apparently like Sony, Dolby is in on the grand conspiracy to make OLED tech look bad. Surprised Dolby is going through such lengths to help Sony sell High Nit Mini LEDs.
Dolby is terrible. Their stuff looks the same as hdr10. Yeah it’s dynamic metadata but it doesn’t show. I compared few movies and Dolby movies look the same to hdr movies. I am sure there are differences but not that anyone could spot.

And Dolby makes everyone pay for it. It’s just a pain in the ass

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
HDR 10, HDR 10+, and Dolby Vision all go up to 4000 nits with technical capability up to 10,000 nits but virtually all Hollywood studio content is mastered up to 1,000 nits due to how human vision works. The baseline median brightness for all SDR and HDR content is supposed to be 150 nits in a pitch black movie theater auditorium, at that brightness level, the highest practical brightness you can make HDR highlights is about 1,000 nits.

Beyond that and you will begin to cause visible discomfort in humans and their pupils will contract in much the same way going outside on a sunny day after watching a movie at a theater will make you squint getting the sudden brightness change. This is not ideal for enjoying a movie, so actually trying to blast 4,000 nits of HDR brightness at someone is not going to realistically happen.
Yeah. You watch tv in a room. Usually darkened or at night. Your eyes are adapted. Blasting 10k would probably blind you. It’s like going outside. You get blasted until you get used to it

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The important spec that no one talks about is brightness in a 100% window, i.e. full screen white. To meet the requirements of 1,000 nits when the screen is just a white field, you need more effective brightness in a limited size field. About 4,000 nits in a 10% window, the commonly used spec to sound impressive, can also deliver 1,000 nits in a 100% window without ABL.

Basically it's a dumb spec war to have impressive sounding numbers on something that doesn't actually matter. No content will actually be mastered to actually try and send 4,000 nits to your eyeballs in the highlights. I hope. Of course video games are a different story, those can go as bright as you want. We'll see how it goes with that.
Well said. Aren’t movies 4k nits? Dtm is expecting 4k nits.
And Max brightness in resident evil games is also 4k nits

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Dolby is terrible. Their stuff looks the same as hdr10. Yeah it’s dynamic metadata but it doesn’t show. I compared few movies and Dolby movies look the same to hdr movies. I am sure there are differences but not that anyone could spot.

And Dolby makes everyone pay for it. It’s just a pain in the ass

You can't spot the differences because your display is incapable of showing them. Which is why Sony wants higher Nit displays.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can't spot the differences because your display is incapable of showing them. Which is why Sony wants higher Nit displays.
Maybe so.
I've tried only few movies with dolby since the only place for me to watch dolby movies is on internal netflix tv app since dolby is not supported by ps5 or by windows.
I then downloaded the same movie on pc and ran with hdr there. It looked identical.
If the difference is as you say - in nits and my tv is incapable of showing it... then whatevere. That's not a difference many will see and not a difference certainly I care about.

Also btw - if HDR10/10+ is maxing at 1000 nits, how does it explain movies being 4k nits and games reaching higher levels too ?

King Dazzar

Well said. Aren’t movies 4k nits? Dtm is expecting 4k nits.
And Max brightness in resident evil games is also 4k nits
Quite a lot of 4k UHD discs are mastered at 4k nit, a few even 10k nit. But many even then dont use anywhere near the 4k nit. However most films started hitting a trend of just being mastered at 1k nit. Its encouraging to hear that may be starting to change though.

DTM on my C1 did its own artificial luminance boosting stuff regardless if its 4k nit or lower. However iirc on mine, if you fed it up to 4k nit content, then as well as still boosting the luminance artificially. It would also preserve highlight detail on up to 4k nit content i.e instead of clipping the peak detail off and you not seeing it, it would tone it down to still show the detail, just at a far lower nit than 4k nit, aligning with the panels native capabilities - hope that makes sense...

Best TV's I've seen, to my eyes, in the past few years have still been Sony. Its just that the competition are far closer these days.
I don't think SONY has made the best TV for decades. They were late to the plate over LCDs bet far too big on 3D and didn't see OLED coming. All that said I used to think Panasonic made the best TV until OLED came along
.Miss my Panasonic Plasma

King Dazzar

I don't think SONY has made the best TV for decades. They were late to the plate over LCDs bet far too big on 3D and didn't see OLED coming. All that said I used to think Panasonic made the best TV until OLED came along
.Miss my Panasonic Plasma
What's your preferred TV these days? I still prefer Sony high end LCD's over Samsung and I prefer Sony's QD-OLED over Samsung's. To each their own of course.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maybe so.
I've tried only few movies with dolby since the only place for me to watch dolby movies is on internal netflix tv app since dolby is not supported by ps5 or by windows.
I then downloaded the same movie on pc and ran with hdr there. It looked identical.
If the difference is as you say - in nits and my tv is incapable of showing it... then whatevere. That's not a difference many will see and not a difference certainly I care about.
Its pretty easy to say "That's not a difference many will see" when you haven't seen it

Coming from someone who owns a TV that can get close to 2k nits in small windows I can say its a difference many can see once they actually see it.

Again its great OLED works for you and many others here and like you said its not a difference you care about but really shouldn't pretend what you prefer should work for everyone else

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Its pretty easy to say "That's not a difference many will see" when you haven't seen it

Coming from someone who owns a TV that can get close to 2k nits in small windows I can say its a difference many can see once they actually see it.

Again its great OLED works for you and many others here and like you said its not a difference you care about but really shouldn't pretend what you prefer should work for everyone else
It's easy to say "not many will see the difference" because:
1)the difference is small if existing at all
2)Not many people got better TVs than top of the line oleds... Like, what kind of tvs people have that are not sold lol

The speculated difference barely seems worth discussing. Ifgoing from sdr to hdr is 10 to 90. Then hdr to dolby is 90 to 97 ? would you rate it that way?

Last edited:
What's your preferred TV these days? I still prefer Sony high end LCD's over Samsung and I prefer Sony's QD-OLED over Samsung's. To each their own of course.

LG now sadly. I was a bit of a Panasonic fanboy before OLED and the sort of person who thought the Japanese made the best TVs bar none

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
It's easy to say "not many will see the difference" because:
1)the difference is small if existing at all
2)Not many people got better TVs than top of the line oleds... Like, what kind of tvs people have that are not sold lol

The speculated difference barely seems worth discussing. Ifgoing from sdr to hdr is 10 to 90. Then hdr to dolby is 90 to 97 ? would you rate it that way?
That's the thing, people are telling you there are differences you just can't see it with your set and refuse to admit the differences exist

Saying you don't care about the difference is much better than telling others there isn't a difference when others have seen it and experienced it

Honestly, I hate to be this guy but it kind of circles back to your post on a Ferrari that you don't need to own one but pretty sure you know how fast it goes

That's stupid.
ownership bias is one thing but I am pretty sure I know how fast ferrari goes without ever owning one.

There are those of us who have owned said car and still want to own those types of cars (sorry for the old photo only one I could find of them together from 15 years ago)

lsDO9wa.jpg

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That's the thing, people are telling you there are differences you just can't see it with your set and refuse to admit the differences exist

Saying you don't care about the difference is much better than telling others there isn't a difference when others have seen it and experienced it

Honestly, I hate to be this guy but it kind of circles back to your post on a Ferrari that you don't need to own one but pretty sure you know how fast it goes

There are those of us who have owned said car and still want to own those types of cars (sorry for the old photo only one I could find of them together from 15 years ago)

lsDO9wa.jpg
ok I will let go.
But I am still not a fan of dolby for many other reasons even if it looks better

King Dazzar

LG now sadly. I was a bit of a Panasonic fanboy before OLED and the sort of person who thought the Japanese made the best TVs bar none
You can still get award winning Panansonic OLED's, and I believe they're venturing into premium LCD if not already released... for me they've just always neglected the bigger sizes. I used to have a 32" iirc Panasonic CRT widescreen. Thing killed me and 3 others trying to get it up a flight of stairs!

ok I will let go.
But I am still not a fan of dolby for many other reasons even if it looks better
I find Dolby can be superb and not so superb. On my LG OLED's I usually loved it and my Philips OLED too. But on my Sony LCD, usually normal HDR 10 looks better, so I keep it disabled. Definitely a case of YMMV. And if you take something like Alita 4k blu-ray, which has HDR10, HDR10+ and DV on the disc, my Philips OLED has them look all identical - but the disc is a poor example of HDR. So it varies not only from TV to TV, but content to content too.

You can still get award winning Panansonic OLED's, and I believe they're venturing into premium LCD if not already released... for me they've just always neglected the bigger sizes. I used to have a 32" iirc Panasonic CRT widescreen. Thing killed me and 3 others trying to get it up a flight of stairs!

I find Dolby can be superb and not so superb. On my LG OLED's I usually loved it and my Philips OLED too. But on my Sony LCD, usually normal HDR 10 looks better, so I keep it disabled. Definitely a case of YMMV. And if you take something like Alita 4k blu-ray, which has HDR10, HDR10+ and DV on the disc, my Philips OLED has them look all identical - but the disc is a poor example of HDR. So it varies not only from TV to TV, but content to content too.
I get that, it's hard to beat LG for OLED and that's who I went with.

I'm in the market for a 77" OLED, and was looking at the C3 or G3 ones. I like QD-OLEDs from Samsung, but they don't have Dolby Vision, which 95% of my UHD collection has. A couple of days ago, Vincent from HDTVtest and Caleb from Digital Trends previewed some 32",4K, QD-OLED monitors, so now I'm looking at buying one of those as well for my PS5. I've never gamed on a monitor before, so I'm looking forward to see what all the hubbub is about.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm in the market for a 77" OLED, and was looking at the C3 or G3 ones. I like QD-OLEDs from Samsung, but they don't have Dolby Vision, which 95% of my UHD collection has. A couple of days ago, Vincent from HDTVtest and Caleb from Digital Trends previewed some 32",4K, QD-OLED monitors, so now I'm looking at buying one of those as well for my PS5. I've never gamed on a monitor before, so I'm looking forward to see what all the hubbub is about.
A little hands on with one coming in Feb for $1199, no real review yet

Looking forward to getting one myself

Fake

People get too much focus on the SCREEN, but IMO Sony will show the power of their pos-processing technology, now with AI.

If using AI really can solve some OLED screen problems, can't see why is not a bad ideia.

amigastar

Currently i have an Eizo IPS Monitor with Full HD. When i switch to an RTX 6070 i will probably buy a 4k monitor. But for now i'm good with 1080p.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member

No interest in the Sony A95L?

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Jesus Christ this thread.

(turns on my Epson UST projector and projects onto what I am certain is a gray screen, reclines on my couch and proceeds to rub my belly)

Take that you fuckers. Some of you better be getting an aneurysm.

Ahead of CES 2024 tomorrow, Samsung Display has teased that the 2024 QD-OLED TV panel will achieve a peak brightness of over 3000 nits.

Here is the relevant passage from the press release sent out in anticipation of CES 2024:

- "The TV panel has been upgraded to a brighter third-generation QD-OLED, which will be showcased at CES. This new version utilizes advanced panel drive technology and artificial intelligence (AI) to achieve a maximum brightness of over 3000 nits. This makes it the brightest OLED TV panel available, surpassing previous models. Each RGB color also sees a significant increase in brightness, approximately 50% more compared to last year’s version,"

Welp the nits war is heating up enthusiasts thought OLED couldn't get past 2000 nits looks like Samsung disagrees 😆 even if abl is aggressive this TV is still going to be extremely bright this is completely unexpected I didn't expect much improvement this year from OLED.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ahead of CES 2024 tomorrow, Samsung Display has teased that the 2024 QD-OLED TV panel will achieve a peak brightness of over 3000 nits.

Here is the relevant passage from the press release sent out in anticipation of CES 2024:

- "The TV panel has been upgraded to a brighter third-generation QD-OLED, which will be showcased at CES. This new version utilizes advanced panel drive technology and artificial intelligence (AI) to achieve a maximum brightness of over 3000 nits. This makes it the brightest OLED TV panel available, surpassing previous models. Each RGB color also sees a significant increase in brightness, approximately 50% more compared to last year’s version,"

Welp the nits war is heating up enthusiasts thought OLED couldn't get past 2000 nits looks like Samsung disagrees 😆 even if abl is aggressive this TV is still going to be extremely bright this is completely unexpected I didn't expect much improvement this year from OLED.
Wonder if this means anything towards monitors coming.

3k nits is getting there

fuck yeah yes GIF

dotnotbot

Yeah, MLA was a bit ahead so Samsung had to make some moves. They're stating that each RGB color is 50% brighter so it's not bullshit vivid mode measurement but probably an actual significant improvement.

I'm glad they're not slowing down. Also the brighter and faster these panels get, the closer we are to BFI being usable even with HDR.

Last edited:
Yeah, MLA was a bit ahead so Samsung had to make some moves. They're stating that each RGB color is 50% brighter so it's not bullshit vivid mode measurement but probably an actual significant improvement.

I'm glad they're not slowing down. Also the brighter and faster these panels get, the closer we are to BFI being usable even with HDR.
Yup and MLA looks to be an incremental upgrade this year the G4 is the same peak brightness as the G3 their processor looks to be a big jump at least but that's probably not good enough with Samsung bringing the heat I'm loving all of this competition hopefully mini-led really shakes things up.

S0ULZB0URNE

It doesn't hold it though.
Don't expect major developments until PHOLED.

It doesn't hold it though.
Don't expect major developments until PHOLED.
Over 3000 nits is a major development the S95C was around 1400 nits the demonstration is tomorrow at CES but if it's not smoke and mirrors this is what I would consider to be a game changer... PHOLED is at least 2-3 years away they've had some hiccups.

S0ULZB0URNE

Over 3000 nits is a major development the S95C was around 1400 nits the demonstration is tomorrow at CES but if it's not smoke and mirrors this is what I would consider to be a game changer... PHOLED is at least 2-3 years away they've had some hiccups.
The A95L hit around 1700 peak nits.. but again it doesn't hold it long at all.

PHOLED could be as early as this year actually.

Mr.Phoenix

I don't trust Samsung.

Top Bottom