• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft sending people surveys about handheld consoles

Yeah but I thought at one point, there next gen box was going to be an amazing performance/technical leap? Or would there be more than one option, power wise?
I think their nextbox comes 2026 maybe late next year and is a next gen big boy machine but coming in at a hefty price tag so not really going head to head with Sony and just giving them the $500 traditional based market

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
There is a rumor that sony us also coming back tho. It made sense to not doing another one if their 1p don't support it anyway.

I guess that explains why they are not releasing anything upcoming for the PSVR2. They are moving back to handheld

Excited for a Sony handheld.

Last edited:

midnightAI

I think their nextbox comes 2026 maybe late next year and is a next gen big boy machine but coming in at a hefty price tag so not really going head to head with Sony and just giving them the $500 traditional based market
I think the concern there though would be if in approx two years after that Sony bring out their next gen machine, overpower and undercut it

StereoVsn

The point is you can install everything you have in your PC library+gamepass. I don't think they will only make this for gamepass.
Also I will appreciate if spec are close to Series S & option so you can connect it to TV !!!
You already have Asus, Lenovo, MSI, and bunch of Chinese vendors playing in this category.

I could install GamePass games on my ROG Ally just fine.

MS needs some additional hook, IMO, otherwise what’s the point. And all the Xbox games are on PC already so that’s not a good draw. Xbox 360 and OG Xbox BC is great, but not mass market attraction.

King Dazzar

If it really does become just a game UI focused PC as expected, with all the PC store fronts. I guess they can then expand with the handheld and onto other lower powered box options too. And it all starts to make sense. How well it all does, will be really interesting to see. Part of me thinks it could do really well. But then the other part of me thinks it just gets ignored and everyone carries on in the PC space. Time will tell...

I think the concern there though would be if in approx two years after that Sony bring out their next gen machine, overpower and undercut it
If it really does become just a game UI focused PC as expected, with all the PC store fronts. I guess they can then expand with the handheld and onto other lower powered box options too. And it all starts to make sense. How well it all does, will be really interesting to see. Part of me thinks it could do really well. But then the other part of me thinks it just gets ignored and everyone carries on in the PC space. Time will tell...
They have to do something different as their current model isn't working

This feels like a Hail Mary type of move imo

King Dazzar

Yeah, on one hand they stand to lose all of their current console base and the subs which go hand in hand with it i.e their existing console customers. But I guess commercially, if the hardware is sold at a profit, and they are releasing stuff on PS5 and PC too, then they still fall back on being a huge third party publisher. Whilst not taking a loss on hardware moving forward.

They're certainly keeping things interesting... for me it'll be the pricing that's going to be a real eye opener potentially.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Which are ? PS4 ports and privatized third party games right ?
Since Series consoles were launched, there were only two Forza games and not much else except the terrible Halo Infinite (SP campaign) from their internal 1st party studios. I gotta say though that they're good at making games from older generations of consoles work great and much better on X, but it's not new games. Sony has much better 1st party output, that's just a fact, whether you or I like some of their games or not. And yeah, they're porting their games to PC as well, with various degrees of success and technical states.

I think the split is actually close to 50 / 50 between X and S, how is this not a lot of people ?
It's a lot of problems for developers and compromised a lot of 3rd party games. S is shit and should not exist. They should've gotten rid of the BD drive from X and sold it at a lower price. Also, from what I've seen an article or something claiming that X sold much less than S and it's not 50/50. I think I've seen the link on GAF and it was related to Xbox and Activision stuff but I'm not sure, I don't remember the name of the thread.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
But the market doesn't care about the Series consoles, so that sounds like it would sell worse than a Windows based machine.

It doesn't care about traditional xbox consoles right now. But a portable offers a completely different proposition......if it did not the switch would not have sold so well, it would havevsold like the wii u.. (Crappy controls, tiny screen, low power vs competitors, etc)

Even more relevant if it happens to be pretty powerfull, offers an excellent screen, wireless hdmi, better controls, full entertainment apps, and gamepass and cloud plug and play out of the box. A 1080p console and a portable in one. A value proposition no xbox currently offers.

It's a lot of problems for developers and compromised a lot of 3rd party games. S is shit and should not exist. They should've gotten rid of the BD drive from X and sold it at a lower price. Also, from what I've seen an article or something claiming that X sold much less than S and it's not 50/50. I think I've seen the link on GAF and it was related to Xbox and Activision stuff but I'm not sure, I don't remember the name of the thread.
S is fine. Without it they would have lost even worse. Nothing was held back at all except a split screen mode or two. MS now has a lower spec version of every game on their whole store, so those can be used on a handheld.

THE DUCK

Glasses Why Dont We Have Both GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

I'm not sure that would be a great idea, here is our new handheld, optimized for our games that also happens to offer a slower version of an os that is less plug and play? People like us might like that idea but casuals would just be confused by it.

THE DUCK

Yeah, on one hand they stand to lose all of their current console base and the subs which go hand in hand with it i.e their existing console customers. But I guess commercially, if the hardware is sold at a profit, and they are releasing stuff on PS5 and PC too, then they still fall back on being a huge third party publisher. Whilst not taking a loss on hardware moving forward.

They're certainly keeping things interesting... for me it'll be the pricing that's going to be a real eye opener potentially.

If they do end up going this route, this expect 2 things from them - a portable Xbox one gen newer than what we have now, but not an absolute monster, you keep costs down.

Second, an Uber xbox in the $699 range that maybe also runs windows.

Calverz

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to focus on having the Windows Store compatible with Steam Deck? This way they don't need to build hardware and have the benefits of people potentially buying games from their own storefront.

I'm sure there are a lot of technical and legal hurdles to get through, but this seems like most appropriate solution over releasing another device when the Steam Deck has the majority of the market (I assume!).
And effectively surrender the biggest growth market to a competitor with a competing os?

DragonNCM

You already have Asus, Lenovo, MSI, and bunch of Chinese vendors playing in this category.

I could install GamePass games on my ROG Ally just fine.

MS needs some additional hook, IMO, otherwise what’s the point. And all the Xbox games are on PC already so that’s not a good draw. Xbox 360 and OG Xbox BC is great, but not mass market attraction.
You are right about this but I think MS will offer much more at that price from above makers & surly will get better performance + some net futures that others can dream off.

midnightAI

I'm not sure that would be a great idea, here is our new handheld, optimized for our games that also happens to offer a slower version of an os that is less plug and play? People like us might like that idea but casuals would just be confused by it.
Well I'm thinking of my ideal handheld. In handheld mode uses stripped down XBox os etc. in docked mode either stripped down or full Windows (dock has full Windows installed on separate SSD as well as additional ram, maybe even SLI style additional GPU, uses CPU from handheld though) sell handheld at decent price, add additional cost to purchase dock.

So handheld mode like Switch, docked mode like Switch but on steroids.

Last edited:

rm082e

It doesn't care about traditional xbox consoles right now. But a portable offers a completely different proposition......if it did not the switch would not have sold so well, it would havevsold like the wii u.. (Crappy controls, tiny screen, low power vs competitors, etc)

Even more relevant if it happens to be pretty powerfull, offers an excellent screen, wireless hdmi, better controls, full entertainment apps, and gamepass and cloud plug and play out of the box. A 1080p console and a portable in one. A value proposition no xbox currently offers.

I look at the Switch as a successor to their handheld line, not their previous consoles. It's the next evolution after the Gameboy and DS product lines. Their handhelds always sold well to kids and younger people, so it makes sense that the Switch would as well.

For Microsoft, I don't think their core demographic is nearly as interested in a handheld. And for those that are, they already have handheld gaming machines that can be used to access Game Pass. We could also look back at the PSP and Vita.

DAHGAMING

Day 1, big Phil hit me up when we can preorder this beast. No doubt its going to be the most powerfull portable gaming device, even putting the most top spec gaming laptops to shame. My wife wont be happy, I can imagine it now, were both out for a meal, im there playing my Xbox handheld and all the woman who see will be all over me.

King Dazzar

If I were a gambling man, I'd bet on the handheld not doing very well. And the uber high end box being too expensive and for too niche an audience (even though the concept I like). But a lesser/cheaper box doing better, but being still expensive compared to PlayStation. Some will love it. But it'll be a low volume seller. I also think by the time this all comes out, Xbox will have an even smaller, tiny physical brick n' mortar presence. Yeah I'll place my money on this doing so so at best.

Only way I see MS making this a success if it were exceptionally great value for money (thinking more next gen boxes). And that doesnt appear to be the strategy. What would all the current Series S users upgrade to? Nah MS are in the process of fucking it up again...unless very, very price competitive.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

I look at the Switch as a successor to their handheld line, not their previous consoles. It's the next evolution after the Gameboy and DS product lines. Their handhelds always sold well to kids and younger people, so it makes sense that the Switch would as well.

For Microsoft, I don't think their core demographic is nearly as interested in a handheld. And for those that are, they already have handheld gaming machines that can be used to access Game Pass. We could also look back at the PSP and Vita.

I think MS should be looking outside of thier core demographic to expand who they are attractive to. They need to reach the casual audience that is ignoring them, not us. People like us are already covered pretty well by windows handhelds and steam deck. (I mean I know we want our dedicated OS handheld still but we are still "ok")

The casual audience right now has zero access to gamepass on a handheld.

PSP and Vita are not viable comparisons due to tons of reasons, market, price, lack of game due to architechture, overpriced memory, crappy controls, no hybrid nature, the list goes on and on.

THE DUCK

Well I'm thinking of my ideal handheld. In handheld mode uses stripped down XBox os etc. in docked mode either stripped down or full Windows (dock has full Windows installed on separate SSD as well as additional ram, maybe even SLI style additional GPU, uses CPU from handheld though) sell handheld at decent price, add additional cost to purchase dock.

So handheld mode like Switch, docked mode like Switch but on steroids.

I like the more powerfull dock idea.

StereoVsn

You are right about this but I think MS will offer much more at that price from above makers & surly will get better performance + some net futures that others can dream off.
Why would it get better performance? Next major improvements for AMD or Intel chipsets will be out next year and there likely to be nothing this year.

MS is not going to do anything radically different if they want full Win 11/12 compatibility.

For pricing, MS Surface devices are very pricey compared to performance so there is no guarantee that MS will underprice everyone. Plus they don’t want to piss off their vendors who are manufacturing other systems also running Windows.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I think T.S. Elliot said it best. This is the way the Xbox brand ends. Not with a bang but with a handheld.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
at this point they are probably already deep within the build of a device so this survey wouldn't really be helpful. If they are just starting to think about a handled this this is years out!

SenkiDala

Would be cool honestly. But I hope a 300/450 machine max. When I see the Legion Go and all that machines at 700/800€... Well that's not a market for me it is too much.

a 300/400$€ handheld, OLED screen, capable like a Steamdeck, nothing fancy, to play some Xbox(PC) games on the go... With the interface of the Xbox, all your "pins", friendliest, achievements, etc in one handheld, would be cool to me.

THE DUCK

at this point they are probably already deep within the build of a device so this survey wouldn't really be helpful. If they are just starting to think about a handled this this is years out!

It could be they are just deciding what os to run, and or to launch it at all still. The design might be ready for the most part.....

Oppoi

Reactionary plaform wars as always. They will piss money only to get fucked once again. Unless they make all their games exclusive...

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks this is a good idea must be completely oblivious that the handheld market is VERY crowed. And I'm not just talking about Switch and Steamdeck. Asus, MSI, and Lenovo all have their own handhelds, so at best they are entering an already saturated market as 6th guy, not even top 5.

These handhelds are not exactly cheap either. It will cost more than current consoles unless they want to sell them at a loss.

And more importantly, you need a library of strong exclusives to be successful, which xbox has none.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I'd like to see MS's take on a handheld, but they also sent me two surveys about adding DualSense-like features such as an onboard mutable mic to the Xbox controller - a few years apart - and we still haven't seen any real changes with their regular or pro controllers.

But I want to believe.

Last edited:

Puscifer

How about starting full on marketing campaign for Hellblade II? To put it lightly, there's not enough shit to put into OT in a couple of weeks FFS. There's zero fuckin' raw gameplay screenshots, absolutely fuckin' nothing in regards to lore or discriptions, zero fuckin' press kit with assets and such to use. HOLY FUCK it's horrible!
I literally didn't even know it was coming out till I read this post lol

Last edited:

Puscifer

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea must be completely oblivious that the handheld market is VERY crowed. And I'm not just talking about Switch and Steamdeck. Asus, MSI, and Lenovo all have their own handhelds, so at best they are entering an already saturated market as 6th guy, not even top 5.

These handhelds are not exactly cheap either. It will cost more than current consoles unless they want to sell them at a loss.

And more importantly, you need a library of strong exclusives to be successful, which xbox has none.
Not to mention that the Steam deck is still winning. Basing it off a custom Arch distro that's super lightweight and only gets more optimized overtime is a massive advantage over windows. If they're still going to be ballsy with the planned desktop version I could easily see a switchover for a chunk of users who just want to play games without Windows nonsense.

eNT1TY

I am so down for an MS steam deck like device with a premium Surface aesthetic and high quality materials like an anodized aluminum or magnesium alloy body for the higher end models.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I'd like to see MS's take on a handheld, but they also sent me two surveys about adding DualSense-like features such as an onboard mutable mic to the Xbox controller - a few years apart - and we still haven't seen any real changes with their regular or pro controllers.

But I want to believe.

The controller leaked in the ABK trial.

Ozriel

M$FT
Tbh, I don't see the point of a Xbox handheld when Steamdeck already exists. The only new thing it would bring would be Gamepass, no?

Haven’t seen an ‘options suck’ argument like this in years now.

The form factor is the main draw here, not exclusives.
I’m not convinced this study is for anything other than surveys around handheld windows gaming devices like the Ally, and moves to improve the Windows experience on those devices.
But we’ll see.

A real ‘Hail Mary’ plan wouldn’t be to launch a next gen console in 2026. It’d be to start steeply discounting the Series consoles.

DragonNCM

Why would it get better performance? Next major improvements for AMD or Intel chipsets will be out next year and there likely to be nothing this year.

MS is not going to do anything radically different if they want full Win 11/12 compatibility.

For pricing, MS Surface devices are very pricey compared to performance so there is no guarantee that MS will underprice everyone. Plus they don’t want to piss off their vendors who are manufacturing other systems also running Windows.
Handheld (if ever happens from MS) will be launched at least 2 years from now & we don't know anything about it, even we don't have speculation about the hardware. More likely it will be launched with next generation of MS hardware & that is 2027/2028. They have 2 or 3 years to bake the hardware & software. Probably in next 1/2 year, AMD or Intel hardware will be a good measure what we can expect from next MS consoles.
Also ARM snapdragon PC processors are not out of the question. You can see it in this link

I agree. I don’t think it works at all for MS. Hell even with how much praise the Steamdeck gets it still hasn’t sold that much compared to consoles. With that said they need to do something different like you said and who knows maybe this will work out for them.

Top Bottom