• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

Shin

Banned

Yeah it does say that, still reading the article as this thread is moving fast :p
CPU account for some glops, nothing big but does add to the equation.

Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The fact some of yall think sony isn't gonna match/be better is hilarious you honestly think they are gonna give ms that again?
Maybe, but whether or not they'll be able to stay competitive on price is still unknown. At least in the US and probably in a lot of other places, your premium high priced product probably won't outsell the cheaper competition.

EDIT: from either side.

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
b287dfe1c5e4f696ab6e21b116965169d5503f98_hq.gif

roSJlpg.jpg

Absolutely nothing really new outside of the confirmation of the 12TF number. All the HDMI 2.1 features were expected. We already knew about ray tracing, the presence of the SSD, and I believe fast resume was confirmed as well. This looks like typical PR fluff.

• How big is the SSD?
  • Is the SSD user-serviceable?
  • How does storage expansion work?
  • How much RAM?
  • What's the CPU speed?
  • Are there any comparisons between games running on XBX vs. XSX available? I see generic "faster load times, better fps, etc.", but how does this play out for actual titles? Will these be noticeable improvements, or just minor bumps here and there, similar to how unpatched games run on the enhanced vs. base consoles?

They have so much time to get more into detail. I'll take this over a logo any time.

Vawn

Banned
The fact some of yall think sony isn't gonna match/be better is hilarious you honestly think they are gonna give ms that again?

The Xbox was more powerful than PS2 - PS2 dominated.

The PS3 was technically more powerful, but the 360 ran many games better - neither dominated

The PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One - PS4 dominated

The Xbox One X was more powerful than the PS4 Pro - PS4 dominated

These specs are looking great. But, Price and Games remain the biggest factors. No one wins or loses console generations based on being the most powerful console.

Last edited:
Let say this beast Xsx has a gpu die size of 350mm, and zen2 chiplet about 75mm. Total 425mm or so.
Sony leaked their PS5 bom around $450.

There is no way they can build a 425mm apu at $450 total bom.
It is over mate.

O sorry sony announced the price already?

And all these leaks lol didnt I just read YESTERDAY that's the xsx was gonna be weaker than the ps5. I think we all need to wait till it's all on the table.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
This thread shows that Sony has little to worry about. Their fans are gonna stay loyal. Just as MS fans probably would have or still will(depending on PS5 specs)

Fans will be fans. What Sony worries about are the people that just buy a console based on its multiplatform performance. Around 13 million people in the US shifted from Xbox 360 to PS4 this gen (Xbox 360 had a ten million lead over PS3 in the US, now PS3 has a 3 million lead over Xbox One). They will easily switch again if price/performance suggests it.

Old Empire.

The Xbox was more powerful than PS2 - PS2 dominated.

The PS3 was technically more powerful, but the 360 ran many games better - neither dominated

The PS4 was more powerful than the Xbox One - PS4 dominated

The Xbox One X was more powerful than the PS4 Pro - PS4 dominated

These specs are looking great. But, Price and Games remain the biggest factors. No one wins or loses console generations based on being the most powerful console.

PS4 was more compelling than the xbox one. Upgrades are meaningless at the end of the last console cycle. The bulk of Sony sales are the standard model PS4. They won based on a power in 2013. To suggest otherwise is not being truthful. Sony had no heavy first party games at launch. It took them 4 plus years to start releasing big games.

This is an advance cycle because both the PS5 and Xbox series have newer hardware- CPU and GPU it a new battle for sales.

Shin

Banned
I think both companies put too much stock into a single country, especially when it's not the only one they are selling to.
Despite the major screw up that Xbox One was/is this gen, the shift within US itself seems negligible looking at the recent sales leak.
It's everything else they both should work their ass off to fight and earn IMO, gamers are so damn dumb to get shafted and accept with arms wide open.
More and more are our games centered around the US and US policies and whatever the hell, it's stupid IMO and should have never came to this.

/end_rant

Vawn

Banned
PS4 was more compelling than the xbox one. Upgrades are meaningless at the end of the last console cycle. The bulk of Sony sales are the standard model PS4. They won based on a power in 2013. To suggest otherwise is not being truthful. Sony had no heavy first party games at launch. It took them 4 plus years to start releasing big games.

This is an advance cycle because both the PS5 and Xbox series have newer hardware- CPU and GPU it a new battle for sales.

They has three prior generations of having better game libraries. People will buy PS5s because of the games PS1-4 had. It's trust in the brand.

Power us awesome. Especially for our hardcore crowd, but history proves every generation it has very little sway in the outcome of the most sold consoles. Games and Price. Price and Games.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Considering Sony is skipping E3, Pax East and GDC, it’s so far been a complete whiff.
The latest revelations of skipping the last two have been because pf a virus spreading and they dont want their employees get sick....how dare a major corporation care about the health and well being of their employees.....

Also E3 was known long ago and rumors are and were they are having their own event.

Interesting. I'm inclined to believe it's actually a bit over 12, probably at least 12.18, but it could be more than that.

But not SO much more that it'd be near 13 or past 12.5, otherwise I think they would've said "more than 12TF" or "almost 13TF" or something to that effect. So even if it's 12.18, that isn't enough to justify saying "more than 12TF" imho and it's probably why they didn't say that.

Besides, CPU can utilize the GPU dynamically IIRC; both CPU and GPU already dynamically access the memory, that's why memory reserve limits for games get freed up down the line. Software-based partitions are adjusted, dynamic scaling access for CPU and GPU through BIOS/UEFI settings through microcode firmware updates I'd assume. So the GPU could be more than 12TF, but it wouldn't need that much more for OS GUI features.

It's very possible they will match it. But the probability of them doing so feels a bit lower than it was a few weeks ago. There's a lot of solid data evidence and circumstantial stuff out there painting a different performance range for PS5 that comes in lower. Meanwhile there are rumors from various insiders claiming comparable performance metrics but there isn't a lot of context to some of them and no corroborative data backing up/verifying a lot of those claims (yet).

I think it's still probable they may be somewhere around 10.4-11 TF, either mixed RDNA1 & RDNA2 or full RDNA2, etc. But there's no actual data or evidence out there backing this up, just my best-case optimistic outlook. And like D darkinstinct mentioned earlier, all the other Github leaks and GPU benchmark tests have ended up confirmed as actual products, or have official proof of their existence matching the data that was found on them. So that lends a very high probability the Oberon we know so far (E0, as of December 2019) is in fact very likely PS5.

Maybe another Oberon stepping will surface, but that'd be an extremely recent chip. Like, last month recent or even as recent as this month. And that's just a stepping; an Oberon with more CUs on it and other changes would probably be a fuller revision, and it'd be somewhat crazy for even a new steppping to surface this late, much less a full revision. Unless the dates for the steppings are referring to their log dates; maybe the steppings themselves were sent out a couple months before the log dates?

But yeah, that's kind of where I'm seeing things ATM.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Fans will be fans. What Sony worries about are the people that just buy a console based on its multiplatform performance. Around 13 million people in the US shifted from Xbox 360 to PS4 this gen (Xbox 360 had a ten million lead over PS3 in the US, now PS3 has a 3 million lead over Xbox One). They will easily switch again if price/performance suggests it.

Yeah that's basically all on price. There's always gonna be a bunch of young kids and a bunch of moms going to Walmart and just buying a console with little to no info on specs. But then theres loyal fans who aren't switching unless its something huge.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I think both companies put too much stock into a single country, especially when it's not the only one they are selling to.
Despite the major screw up that Xbox One was/is this gen, the shift within US itself seems negligible looking at the recent sales leak.
It's everything else they both should work their ass off to fight and earn IMO, gamers are so damn dumb to get shafted and accept with arms wide open.
More and more are our games centered around the US and US policies and whatever the hell, it's stupid IMO and should have never came to this.

/end_rant

Oh no, I am perfectly fine with that. Bad sales of Xbox in Europe lead to great deals.

Codes 208

Gold Member
I wonder how they’ll push smart delivery, with cyberpunk confirming an upgrade program, i hope others (especially their first party) will follow suit.

Are you expecting MS to eat $150 of cost per XSX console sold?
They probably wont eat a negative that big but they were selling the 360 at a loss and made up for it with xbox live, they could do the same thing here.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
They probably wont eat a negative that big but they were selling the 360 at a loss and made up for it with xbox live, they could do the same thing here.

They caught major shit from board members for that and went the complete opposite direction with the XoX.

I would not expect a major loss leader here.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Why is everybody ignoring this dev that just did the winky face? Clearly they've heard or seen what's going on and you guys just ignored it to keep console warring back and forth.

let me just shoot this down right now... no. Nothing extra, no hidden details, no codes, nothing.

But what I will say is it’s nice to know everything I said down to the t is correct.

Next up, PS5, let’s go again.

Last edited:

DarkestHour

Banned
Interesting. I'm inclined to believe it's actually a bit over 12, probably at least 12.18, but it could be more than that.

But not SO much more that it'd be near 13 or past 12.5, otherwise I think they would've said "more than 12TF" or "almost 13TF" or something to that effect. So even if it's 12.18, that isn't enough to justify saying "more than 12TF" imho and it's probably why they didn't say that.

Besides, CPU can utilize the GPU dynamically IIRC; both CPU and GPU already dynamically access the memory, that's why memory reserve limits for games get freed up down the line. Software-based partitions are adjusted, dynamic scaling access for CPU and GPU through BIOS/UEFI settings through microcode firmware updates I'd assume. So the GPU could be more than 12TF, but it wouldn't need that much more for OS GUI features.

IMO the improved CPU is going to be huge this gen. The CPU in PS4/Xbone was incredibly shit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't see that as a dig at Sony. I swear people look for some of the craziest stuff.

More like, MS speak after they royally fucked up half this generation.

Exactly. Just like the "eat the monsters" has nothing to do with Sony since their Scorpio video which was in the same format, they called their machine "a monster".

They are talking about themselves. Gamer's gonna project though.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

They has three prior generations of having better game libraries. People will buy PS5s because of the games PS1-4 had. It's trust in the brand.

Power us awesome. Especially for our hardcore crowd, but history proves every generation it has very little sway in the outcome of the most sold consoles. Games and Price. Price and Games.

Sony and Microsoft only truly battled last gen and this gen. Sony both occasions had the power position.

However PS3 was so hard to code for- the third party games suffered. Microsoft indeed did very well last gen and sold over 80 million Xbox 360 consoles. Sony online multiplayer was free and Microsoft charged for it. And Sony, late in the game, started coming back, but at a cost loss.

PS4 had the advantage over Xbox one at launch and Sony dominated. I think power matters as one of the preferences for people.

Sony PS5 specs are weaker by a lot we have to watch see what happens?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shin

Banned
Is there an actual difference for those that have the controller or is it marketing jargon?

Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.

SleepDoctor

Banned
There is a posse of Xbox fans online that are hoping and praying that the PS5 is 9.2 from GitHub, for some really strange mentally deficient reason.

Just like there was a "posse" of sony fans hoping and praying the leaked spec were false. And when the opposite was leaked they were posting everywhere like it was gospel.

Like I said then, "eventually one side is gonna have a meltdown".

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is accurate for most people. Still consoles are planned for people who prefer to use a controller not a mouse. If you’re going to spend 400 to 500 euros/dollars upgrading you might as we well purchase the best console with the best specs.

Sony has not revealed anything so it much difficult to pick one console over another. Sony very slow out of blocks releasing first party games, it took them 3 to 4 years to get going after launch in 2013.

I’ll be buying the console that has best performance at launch for third party. I still buy the PS5 at later stage if the specs are lower?
You can use a pc exactly like a console tho, i have mine connected to my 55" oled tv and i play with controllers in my comfy chair.

For people with a gaming pc and money to upgrade their machine every 2-3 years a series x console is absolutely useless unfortunately.

We can only hope that sony release their game on pc day one so we don't even need a console to play every game on the market.

But if fucking sony doesn't do that, we are forced to buy their cheap console becauae you can only play their game on a ps5, that's the big difference between the 2 consolles for now.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
best banger is def 120fps support out of the box,
That means all LG oled 7 series and up are golden

Shin

Banned
Damn can we leave the fanboy nonsensical war out of this thread at least?
I have a lot of questions as there are a handful of informative tidbits in this article which is worth discussing, would be nice if we could stick to those.
I wonder which TV manufacturer's they've worked with, Samsung and LG is probably a given, need more info (goes well with Dynamic Latency Input (DLI) I reckon).

HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.

Top Bottom