• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

AffectionateRadiantCockerspaniel-size_restricted.gif

Old Empire.

You can use a pc exactly like a console tho, i have mine connected to my 55" oled tv and i play with controllers in my comfy chair.

For people with a gaming pc and money to upgrade their machine every 2-3 years a series x console is absolutely useless unfortunately.

We can only hope that sony release their game on pc day one so we don't even need a console to play every game on the market.

But if fucking sony doesn't do that, we are forced to buy their cheap console becauae you can only play their game on a ps5, that's the big difference between the 2 consolles for now.

True, but gamers who use a controller want to play with people who use the same imput device. Controller much more difficult to use on PC when playing multiplayer. There aligment issues and lack of controlled aim on PC. Skilled gamers can do ok, but the casual will get destroyed online.

You’d only play a game like Battlefield on PC, if you use a mouse and keyboard, you not going to use a controller there.

Is there an actual difference for those that have the controller or is it marketing jargon?
It actually sounded a lot like the run-ahead feature from Retroarch. There is lag from the system itself (whether from the controller, the system, the way the game in particular was programmed, etc) and from the TV screen you are using.

Eliminating input lag on the console side would be nice.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Are you expecting MS to eat $150 of cost per XSX console sold?

A 400 mm^2 APU vs. a 350 mm^2 APU would just be a $20 price difference ($110 to $130). Microsoft has DRAM less SSD, so the increase in DRAM pricing that was reported by Bloomberg regarding Sony's BOM could already even out the playing field if the rest is pretty much the same (RAM especially). Or they could use what they save on DRAM to put in a bigger overall SSD. I would not be surprised if MS can sell the console at pretty much cost for $499. The real question is if they want to do that. $399 is not completely impossible (at a $100 loss). Of course that would mean no Lockhart.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Oh wow. Super nice. Ms totally running the agenda for next generation.

I'm seriously considering jumping ship to Xbox after this... Wow.

Need more ps5 info.... By that I mean any of course. I was pretty much locked into ps5 but this hits everything I wanted hardware wise.

I think going to hold off on day 1. See how it all goes first.

Great work ms!

Really nice specs! 💪
What is still missing? SSD, Memory and price info?

Hope Sony can match or come close.
Would be disapointed with just 8-9TF now.

Shin

Banned
There is lag
That's why I find it interesting as there seems to be some really good thinking behind the console.
I'm reading the article now bit by bit and they seem to have tackled some import issues or improve upon them (whether people had or have or will notice is a different question).
Though the way this reads is like they've put the gamer at the center and tried to make it as easy as possible and gaming as enjoyable as possible (at least that's what I get out of it).

Though with companies shit is always sugar coated and one has to be able to tell the nonsense apart from reality.
Interesting stuff regardless.

Nevermind, this is way at the bottom.
A generation with players at the center
facepalm...

Last edited:
This is awesome news. My cousin plays a lot on Xbox and recently got an Xbox One X which has been a pretty awesome console for him so far. I already know he's very interested in getting the Xbox Series X since I started telling him about the improvements I've heard of, but with specs and features like these I think he's going to be even more excited.

I'm excited for what the next generation has in store.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
True, but gamers who use a controller want to play with people who use the same imput device. Controller much more difficult to use on PC when playing multiplayer. There aligment issues and lack of controlled aim on PC. Skilled gamers can do ok, but the casual will get destroyed online.

You’d only play a game like Battlefield on PC, if you use a mouse and keyboard, you not going to use a controller there.
I'm mostly a single player games type, but you have a point.

Does 12 Tflops RDNA 2 offer something over perhaps better power consumption than 12 Tflops RDNA 1?

Yes. Hardware-based RT (ray-tracing), VRS (Variable Rate Shading), and further efficiency improvements in the architecture (RDNA is about 20-25% improvement over GCN; RDNA2 could be about 5-10% improvement over RDNA (just guessing on that amount; someone more informed could probably clarify)).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just like there was a "posse" of sony fans hoping and praying the leaked spec were false. And when the opposite was leaked they were posting everywhere like it was gospel.

Like I said then, "eventually one side is gonna have a meltdown".

Yes, we all know #SonyToo. That does not take away my point, at all.

Sony doesn't need power to sell their console, that's why we are scared as fuck for a cheap console from them.
Casual doesn't give a fuck about teraflops, us hardcore gamers are the one who get fucked in the ass in this situation.

Like Lockhart. Please don't be a Lockhart. Please only be this 12TF beast.

Last edited:
500 is the minimum, imo

This kind of power isn’t cheap

You’re right that power isn’t cheap, but I think we’re looking at a 400 dollar box here, ESPECIALLY if it is more powerful than the PS5.

I think they’ll risk taking a notable loss on every unit sold and chalk it up to buying back marketshare they lost this generation.

NickFire

Looks good, I wonder if these numbers could change the mindset of a small percentage of those 120 million ps4 users out there.
As one of those users, I can confirm that these numbers certainly grab my attention. Still much to be learned, but I'm intrigued so far. And if MS says screw it and comes out a couple flops higher for the same price, well, that could be game over on the decision making.

One possible criticism (or possible question) which would apply to PS5 as well if the feature is copied. My guess is suspending multiple games at once will use up some significant resources, though with the SSD speeds maybe it's not an issue. If it does use significant resources, why bother with it? I've never in my life felt burdened from closing a game and opening another.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Yes, we all know #SonyToo. That does not take away my point, at all.

Like Lockhart. Please don't be a Lockhart. Please only be this 12TF beast.

Never said it took away from it. I called the meltdown tho and it seems some already are and Sony hasn't even shown their specs.

I will just enjoy the meltdowns. They set themselves up for it, being so emotionally invested.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Sure, the moment where stick are in proper place.
They already are.
I don't see that as a dig at Sony. I swear people look for some of the craziest stuff.

More like, MS speak after they royally fucked up half this generation.
It is not, people forget how microsoft fucked every guy with a gaming pc during this gen.
I have a useless xbox one because M decided at some point to port every exclusive on pc.

This is stuff that you announce at the begin of a gen, not when people with a gaming pc already bought your shitty console to play your exclusive games.

Old Empire.

I'm mostly a single player games type, but you have a point.

PC fine for xbox first party games, as you paired up with xbox one console players online.. For gamers who are locked into using a controller, it not great for third party.

PS4 now on PC presently, there no reason for PC gamers to buy consoles.
#

Consoles are for individuals who prefer using a controller online. Since you're a single player gamer, you can wait it out and Sony will put most of their first party games on PS4 now eventually. Sony didn't sign a contract for Microsoft Azure for nothing. They're going to start doing similar things like gamepass on PC eventually.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Does 12 Tflops RDNA 2 offer something over perhaps better power consumption than 12 Tflops RDNA 1?
Just your typical efficiency gains within an architecture. Vega is around 15 % more efficient than Polaris. RDNA2 will be in a similar ballpark, but I wouldn't expect more than 10 % just based off of how soon after RDNA it follows. Then again RDNA was delayed by half a year or so, so who knows what they are cooking, they might not be as close to each other as the release dates suggest.

GymWolf

Gold Member
PC fine for xbox first party games, as you paired up with xbox one console players online.. For gamers who are locked into using a controller, it not great for third party.

PS4 now on PC presently, there no reason for PC gamers to buy consoles.
#

Consoles are for individuals who prefer using a controller online. Since you're a single player gamer, you can wait it out and Sony will put most of their first party games on PS4 now eventually. Sony didn't sign a contract for Microsoft Azure for nothing. They're going to start doing similar things like gamepass on PC eventuonnaally.
"Eventually" is the key word here.

Ps now is a joke right now, it doesn't substitute great exclusives at launch.

Nobody who love sony exclusives is gonna wait years to play gow 2 or horizon 2 with input lag and mediocre performance.

We need clarity from sony, i'm not gonna wait months or years to play their games on pc, if they don't annunce their games at day one on pc i'm forced to buy a ps5., And like me, a shitload of people.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm so excited to see these specs. I've been following the PS5 circle jerk aka Next Gen speculation thread hoping for leaks for the XsX, but who needs leaks when Microsoft gives us the real details and they exceeded my hopes and speculation.
Xbox One Series X - DAY 1 for me!!

500 is the minimum, imo

This kind of power isn’t cheap

Absolutely. I'm hoping for around $700 or maybe even a little less, although I thought the same for the 1X and was very pleasantly surprised when it came in at $499.

No way will it be cheaper than $500 as this kind of power has to cost more than the $450 BoM Sony revealed for the PS5.

Senua

Gold Member
I'm so excited to see these specs. I've been following the PS5 circle jerk aka Next Gen speculation thread hoping for leaks for the XsX, but who needs leaks when Microsoft gives us the real details and they exceeded my hopes and speculation.
Xbox One Series X - DAY 1 for me!!

Absolutely. I'm hoping for around $700 or maybe even a little less, although I thought the same for the 1X and was very pleasantly surprised when it came in at $499.

No way will it be cheaper than $500 as this kind of power has to cost more than the $450 BoM Sony revealed for the PS5.
Hoping for $700? what. I reckon $600.

Shin

Banned
I wonder if they'll use 5nm, 7 or 7 EUV considering Apple is using it for it A14 for it's September phones.
Apples and peer comparison, but considering the yield and stage it's in it might be a missed oppertunity.

GymWolf

Gold Member
And that is a problem how exactly?

Just means that any MS exclusive you play on PC are going to be balls to the wall amazing.

Even if I were PC only minded I would see this as a good thing.
I think he is talking about the reason why he doesn't need a series x console.

Vawn

Banned
Sony and Microsoft only truly battled last gen and this gen. Sony both occasions had the power position.

Any reason you are excluding the Xbox/PS2 generation?

I don't agree that Sony had the power position on PS360. The proof was in the pudding. 360 games generally looked and ran better. PS4 only has the power position for the first half of this generation, then it swapped.

Last edited:
Top Bottom