• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

Tiamat2san

Got to remember folks that console spec prices and PC retail prices are totally different.

Console makers buy these chips by the millions and are fabricated direct into the hardware. Console maker sells hardware roughly break even...... some years a small profit, some eras at a loss. The chip maker sells at a lower cost due to so many chips ordered.

PC parts is different.

- sold individually to gamers
- fancy packaging
- depending on the retailer, it might go through a wholesaler first
- chip maker sells chips at higher price to start with
- add in wholesaler mark up maybe 5-10%?
- add in retailer mark up of maybe 25%?

I wouldn’t be surprised if a PC GPU selling for let’s say $500 to people, MS and Sony could do a contract where they pay $200-250. While it would would be a starting price of maybe $350 + wholesaler mark up + retailer mark up = $500 for a PC gamer.

my numbers are off but you get the idea of value chain and costs
We sell classic and gaming PC where i’m working.
Laptop and desktop.
HP Omen, Asus ROG, MSI.
The commercial margin (money for us) is about 10% on normal PCs and between 15 to 35% in Gaming.
The more expensive is the PC the bigger is the margin.
Same goes with graphic cards.

So I guess , the price for big corporations like Sony and MS are really not that expensive.

I am wondering if MS can negotiate harder being windows (even if their surface line is nvidia, they can forge a big partnership)

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
Got to remember folks that console spec prices and PC retail prices are totally different.

Console makers buy these chips by the millions and are fabricated direct into the hardware. Console maker sells hardware roughly break even...... some years a small profit, some eras at a loss. The chip maker sells at a lower cost due to so many chips ordered.

PC parts is different.

- fancy packaging

I wouldn’t be surprised if a PC GPU selling for let’s say $500 to people, MS and Sony could do a contract where they pay $200-250. While it would would be a starting price of maybe $350 + wholesaler mark up + retailer mark up = $500 for a PC gamer.

You completely forgot adding unnecessary, yet controllable LED lighting to every single PC component, which drives up cost.

The R&D alone from adding LED lighting to a SATA cable is astronomical.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I don't mean to be rude, but are you in remedial class?
Let's see.. My recent Xbox One X issues..
Game disc installation has corrupted trying to install when connected to internet and update starts downloading. (known issue)

Xbox audio in game does not working sometimes when booting game for the first time, need to reboot console to fix.

Xbox Live has trouble signing in, sometimes signs itself out. (nothing to do with my internet connection)

OS consistently slow with intermittent freezing between menus. (This is just the OS - A POS)

External hard drive sometimes does not recognise, needs to be unplugged and plugged in again. (this is not specific to my drive, it has happened with 3 different drives and cables and is a known issue)

Xbox X console randomly crashes in some games and shuts down. (i do not get this at all with my Pro ever!)

Sometimes the Xbox will not turn on with the controller.

These are some issues off the top of my head. I've never had any of these problems on my Pro. And no, I'm not in remedial class but thanks for asking.

Last edited:
OK, so what?
Maybe something about games?

The so what, what about the games stuff is getting old and tired. Xbox has a ton of games, and according to sales numbers, most of them are what most people are playing. They need to do better on their first parties, yes, but they now have additional very talented studios that can take care of that. I get a chuckle out of people pretending xbox is in stadia's position lacking games. Xbox will get every major third party title out there and then some on top of their own unique exclusives.

I am wondering if MS can negotiate harder being windows (even if their surface line is nvidia, they can forge a big partnership)
It's possible, however in this specific market Sony and Nintendo have proven sales the track record, so my guess is unless MS can re-use some parts from their Surface division to get bigger lot discounts I'm not sure that having Windows in and of itself means much (unless they go around threatening people who don't cooperate price wise will have broken drivers for their hardware, or their windows licenses will cost more than usual, etc.).

MilkyJoe

Game disc installation has corrupted trying to install when connected to internet and update starts downloading. (known issue)

Xbox audio in game does not working sometimes when booting game for the first time, need to reboot console to fix.

Xbox Live has trouble signing in, sometimes signs itself out. (nothing to do with my internet connection)

OS consistently slow with intermittent freezing between menus. (This is just the OS - A POS)

External hard drive sometimes does not recognise, needs to be unplugged and plugged in again. (this is not specific to my drive, it has happened with 3 different drives and cables and is a known issue)

Xbox X console randomly crashes in some games and shuts down. (i do not get this at all with my Pro ever!)

These are some issues off the top of my head. I've never had any of these problems on my Pro. And no, I'm not in remedial class but thanks for asking.

Not had any of those = you should do a factory restore or accept you have a dud. It's a shame your luck over two generations is dud units...

Yes, what OS you find better if not Windows?
For a device dedicated to a single use Linux is always better, they will have to develop custom drivers, and much more custom software on top of their OS, they may as well get a lean one, one that has a great scheduler, a better security track record, and one that a lot of developers swear by these days.

Obviously they would go with some BSD variant, not Linux, because it gives them more freedom to modify the code without giving away credit or sharing the modified piece of code. Just look at what Sony did with the PS4, this is an amazing embedded device OS they have there.

Justin9mm

LOL. A PS3 game 😂👍
A game that is so damn overrated. It only got the score because of the STORY and not gameplay. Because the gameplay is horrible. Anyway. Let’s get back to topic.
Yep you never played the game or talking through your ass because there was a lot of gameplay and it was far from horrible.

Just because the game has a big story narrative behind it, doesn't mean there is no gameplay. How is it overrated? For its time, it was incredible. It got remastered and still sold gangbusters. So basically you are saying that the millions of people who thought this game is actually good, you insult and you are implying that they know fuck all about good games and you alone know better than all of them! You're an idiot!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
For a device dedicated to a single use Linux is always better, they will have to develop custom drivers, and much more custom software on top of their OS, they may as well get a lean one, one that has a great scheduler, a better security track record, and one that a lot of developers swear by these days.

Obviously they would go with some BSD variant, not Linux, because it gives them more freedom to modify the code without giving away credit or sharing the modified piece of code. Just look at what Sony did with the PS4, this is an amazing embedded device OS they have there.
I know it's based on Free BSD fork, but I think that if you strip down, just what you need, I can't see Windows being a bad system. It's not like PS4 somewhat operates way better than Xbox, so nothing suggests, that it would be better on anything. Not the mention implemetation of Direct X and Direct - something - libraries, which are probably essential to MS ecosystem, easy ports, etc...

And well, for single purpose devices, it's obviously better to use Linux, but I don't actually expect people in here to know much about embedded devices, where obviously Windows would be stupid. I agree in this sense.

Justin9mm

Not had any of those = you should do a factory restore or accept you have a dud. It's a shame your luck over two generations is dud units...
Not a dud, have done factory reset, most of these are known issues. Your last post implied I was retarded, I'm not sure what for though, is it because you believe the Xbox does not have issues or is it the PlayStation that you don't believe doesn't have issues? Because if it's the latter, I could say the same to you.. You should do a factory reset or accept you have a dud.

Justin9mm

I know it's based on Free BSD fork, but I think that if you strip down, just what you need, I can't see Windows being a bad system. It's not like PS4 somewhat operates way better than Xbox, so nothing suggests, that it would be better on anything. Not the mention implemetation of Direct X and Direct - something - libraries, which are probably essential to MS ecosystem, easy ports, etc...

And well, for single purpose devices, it's obviously better to use Linux, but I don't actually expect people in here to know much about embedded devices, where obviously Windows would be stupid. I agree in this sense.
The PS4 does operate way better than Xbox. I have both.

M1chl

Wonder in what way, but ok then. Mine is slow, downloading patches requieres you to format all the drives in the house, just to fit one 100MB patch, trophies needs a resync, when you want to operate dashboard while you have game in background is terribly laggy. And store fucking suck. It's not like Xbox is perfect (the milion levels of submenus, slow community page, etc), but "way better" yeah no.

NickFire

PC parts is different.

- fancy packaging

I would be surprised if they even paid that much.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The problem with that Github leak was that pretty much everything hinges on the number of active CU's.

36 versus 56 meaning that despite the (supposed) PS5 spec being clocked higher, there's a sharp discrepancy in theoretical performance. Higher clocks typically mean more heat to dissipate so it kinda struck me as odd that this part was running at 2ghz.

Then there was the lack of information suggesting the PS5 chip supporting RT, despite Sony mentioning repeatedly as a hardware feature.... I dunno the whole thing seems kinda odd.

pr0cs

but "way better" yeah no
A lot of issues are simply everyone's different scenarios and equipment.
Having both consoles I've seen strange shit both machines do depending on where and to what they're plugged into.

Gone are the days when a game console was a matter of plugging in and working.
HDMI handshaking, arc, audio type, networking and a myriad of other situations make each customers problems different.

To blank say "console ABC is worse than xyz" is foolish

Justin9mm

Wonder in what way, but ok then. Mine is slow, downloading patches requieres you to format all the drives in the house, just to fit one 100MB patch, trophies needs a resync, when you want to operate dashboard while you have game in background is terribly laggy. And store fucking suck. It's not like Xbox is perfect (the milion levels of submenus, slow community page, etc), but "way better" yeah no.
Re-build the database of your hard drive.. you won't lose anything.. just plug in your PS4 controller with the cable, boot in safe mode and then select it. It's like a defrag and it will fix it like new again.

Edit: To boot in safe mode you turn console off first then when you power on, hold the power button down until you hear the second beep. (just in case you weren't already aware)

Last edited:

M1chl

A lot of issues are simply everyone's different scenarios and equipment.
Having both consoles I've seen strange shit both machines do depending on where and to what they're plugged into.

Gone are the days when a game console was a matter of plugging in and working.
HDMI handshaking, arc, audio type, networking and a myriad of other situations make each customers problems different.

To blank say "console ABC is worse than xyz" is foolish
Ohh HDMI handshaking occured to my launch PS4, it looked like a analog TV without a signal and I thought, I am done : D But I agree : )

Great Hair

Banned
Rather, it's 1 Teraflop per Playstation exclusive that ends up being a reskinned Uncharted.

Give us all a break. Talking about recycling, rewriting, re-skin the same "game" for 20 years. Let´s us all play some : #BINGO!!!

Halo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Halo Wars 2 "we love PC"
Gears 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forza 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, 1, 2
Horizon 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I'm thinking 499 at most. The comment about competing on both performance and price has gotten louder and louder in my mind. They've backed up their word on performance, made lots of moves I think on devs, and are all in on gamepass. Seems doubtful to me that they let the air out of the balloon with a price point that I do think will be rejected by casuals. Although, that rumored Series S could be their justification for such a high X price.

Plus, MS knows it cannot make any mistakes I assume. They were in a great position with 360, but then (IMO) shot themselves in the foot with the RRoD that gave them all sorts of bad press once they have inventory to move. Then the last launch was an absolute disaster on pretty much all fronts. I just can't see them shooting themselves in the foot again with a price only PC gamers think is reasonable. Honestly, I won't be shocked in the least if they copy the Sony playbook and mic drop an unexpectedly low price.
You know, I've been thinking the same. I mean, if they really wanted to, they could release at $450 with a month of GP and Xcloud and literally shake the industry as a whole.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Awhile ago:

I don't understand why they are confusing people by focusing on the words "3D audio" here when in fact we've already had 3D audio since the 70's, and in games for decades. Today it's basically mandatory to use headphones (basically the only way to get 3D audio for normal people) to be competitive in many fps multiplayer games. How I translate Sony's pr speak is that better dedicated processing of 3D audio is good because it means clearer richer sound, and automation toolset is good because it's going to be easier for devs to make good sound in games. And possibly it also means more use of raytraced audio which we all know is the future standard.

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned

I had similar software problems on xbox x and none on PS4P, however xbox x build quality was far superior so I'm guessing PS4P failure rate is higher (PS4P plastic looks extremely cheap and whole console is IMO too hot during gaming). I hope MS will improve their software on XSX and I also hope sony will build PS5 with higher quality materials.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Give us all a break. Talking about recycling, rewriting, re-skin the same "game" for 20 years. Let´s us all play some : #BINGO!!!

Halo Wars 2 "we love PC"

Uncharted 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Lost Legacy
God of War 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Ascension, PSP 1, PSP 2, GoW Collection, GoW Origins Collection, GoW Saga, God of War 3 Remaster

MLB 98, 99, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006...............

............... The Show 06 (which makes two different baseball games with 2006 in it), The Show 07, The Show 08, The Show 09, The Show 10..............

............... The Show 11, The Show 12, The Show 13, The Show 14, The Show 15...................

............... The Show 16, The Show 17, The Show 18, The Show 19, The Show 20

Last edited:
No but you do realise that the Xbox OS is a form of Windows. Are you one of those people that actually think Windows is good?
According to cybersecurity software company Malwarebytes’ latest State of Malware report, it’s time to think again. The amount of malware on Macs is outpacing PCs for the first time ever, and your complacency could be your worst enemy.
Mac OS is a derivative of Linux. Every product of microsoft is value for money.

The problem with that Github leak was that pretty much everything hinges on the number of active CU's.

36 versus 56 meaning that despite the (supposed) PS5 spec being clocked higher, there's a sharp discrepancy in theoretical performance. Higher clocks typically mean more heat to dissipate so it kinda struck me as odd that this part was running at 2ghz.

Then there was the lack of information suggesting the PS5 chip supporting RT, despite Sony mentioning repeatedly as a hardware feature.... I dunno the whole thing seems kinda odd.

It does seem odd, but the good thing is we will find out when both machines launch and we start seeing the games. There will be some major headline games that will feature ray tracing.

i think sony will put out 12.1 tf console. no way sony loses a power war to a software company.

I'm laughing at this. A software company, especially one of the most capable and largest in the world, are no amateurs when it comes to building out hardware. That "software" company just so happens to be one of the leading group of experts on gaming and graphics technology out there. What exactly do you believe the DirectX team sits around and does all day? They are in constant communication with the best people from the top graphics card makers. They put billions into research and inventing and refining techniques with those partners. Microsoft also happens to have some of the best in the hardwre business internally at their company. Just because they're a software company doesn't mean they are at a deficit compared to Sony.

Microsoft has made a monster of a system every single time they've ever tried, only visibly coming up short against Sony during Xbox One vs PS4. When Xbox One X came they went right back to what they always did. 360 released a whole year before ps3 and had a clearly more advanced GPU that, at the time, wasn't even available tech wise on PCs. Sony is good, but give Microsoft some credit lol. They aren't just ANY software company. You see what they do with the surface devices?

njean777

IDK my base PS4 is not really something Sony should be proud of right now. The store doesn't even load half the time when I try to get in it. Nor my friends list, trophies or any of the OS level stuff that should work. Then again I have a One X and only a base PS4 so I don't know if the pro has any of these problems.

bigdawg69

Banned
I'm laughing at this. A software company, especially one of the most capable and largest in the world, are no amateurs when it comes to building out hardware. That "software" company just so happens to be one of the leading group of experts on gaming and graphics technology out there. What exactly do you believe the DirectX team sits around and does all day? They are in constant communication with the best people from the top graphics card makers. They put billions into research and inventing and refining techniques with those partners. Microsoft also happens to have some of the best in the hardwre business internally at their company. Just because they're a software company doesn't mean they are at a deficit compared to Sony.

Microsoft has made a monster of a system every single time they've ever tried, only visibly coming up short against Sony during Xbox One vs PS4. When Xbox One X came they went right back to what they always did. 360 released a whole year before ps3 and had a clearly more advanced GPU that, at the time, wasn't even available tech wise on PCs. Sony is good, but give Microsoft some credit lol. They aren't just ANY software company. You see what they do with the surface devices?
i thought the 12.1 gave it away. ms is goin big this time. gonna shit all over ps5 specs. good news is sony fanboys don't care about power.

Justin9mm

IDK my base PS4 is not really something Sony should be proud of right now. The store doesn't even load half the time when I try to get in it. Nor my friends list, trophies or any of the OS level stuff that should work. Then again I have a One X and only a base PS4 so I don't know if the pro has any of these problems.
I have a lot of niggling issues on my X and none on my Pro so no idea. Only going by my own experience. My Pro just works but my X intermittently could throw up any issue. Could go weeks to months and then something will eventually happen like Xbox Live dropping out, no audio when I start a game. External HDD sometimes fails to recognise etc.

Last edited:

Trimesh

Banned

The biggest problem with Linux is the license. In an embedded system you are often dealing with code that is either supplied under NDA or has some other restrictions (a typical one being that it's only usable with devices manufactured by some specific vendor). In both cases, you can't comply with both the GPL and the other license at the same time.

MIT or BSD licensed stuff doesn't have this issue, which is why a lot of complex embedded systems end up using it.

Goalus

Halo Wars 2 "we love PC"

That's a lot of games. And a lot diversity compared to reskinning Uncharted over and over again.

And there's even more:
Ori 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
MS Flight Simulator "we love PC" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Wasteland 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Gears Tactics "we love PC" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Age of Empires "we love PC" 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Killer Instinct 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Hellblade 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
State of Decay 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Wow, I could go on and on.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

I haven't had any of those issues with my x ever? the os is at times a bit laggy but not always. installing games has always been ok for me

I have the same amount of legginess on my ps4 os as me xbox, again I have had issues with the ps4 not switching on or detecting the controller. all systems have quirks

phil_t98

#SonyToo

Halo Wars 2 "we love PC"

and yet the most talked about response to xbox's new console by Sony fans is the last of us 2 lol

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sure it’s Last of Us 2?

Going by history, it might be Last of Us 2 for PS4, and another $60 for Last of Us 2 Remastered for PS5.
well the poster was spouting all Microsoft do is sequels and yet Sony has a massive history of sequels to, also as your right you will prob have to buy the game twice on ps4 and then ps5

Kenpachii

I start to wonder if it's actually 12 tflops of rnda 2. I got the feeling its not. I got the feeling its 12 old tflops but on a rdna 2 architecture which means the tflops are probably lower.

Just read there website:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/02/24/what-you-can-expect-next-generation-gaming/

Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One

Xbox one = 1.3 tflops that's 10,4 tflops
Xbox one s = 1,4 tflops that's 11.2 tflops
Xbox one x = 6 tflops that's 12 tflops.

Those are all old architectures. If we have to believe its 12 tflops of rnda2 that thing would be far faster then only 8 times the original xbox one or one S.

Last edited:

Halo Wars 2 "we love PC"

1 Shooter
1 cover shooter
1 strategy game
1 racing sim
1 arcade racer

all this games ARE DIFFERENT GENRES and have:
Single player game
coop
great multi player
=
hundert hours of fun

vs

sonys SP interactive movies
with 20-40 hours of playtime,..

Shin

Banned
Dutch translation of the recent podcast:

By supporting hardware raytracing, not only more realistic lighting and better reflections are possible, but also spatial audio via raytracing. Jason Ronald, director or program management of Xbox Live, said this in a podcast . According to Ronald, the intention is that the user is more immersed in the game world, because the sound is placed more precisely in the space. It is unclear to what extent that adds to the support of the Dolby Atmos standard on the Xbox One; Ronald gave no further details.

Top Bottom