• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft confirms 12 TF RDNA 2 for the Xbox Series X

What do you need to be impressed??
Even people who talk big in this topic was absolutely not certain about 12tf rdna2 because it's fucking BIG for a home console.

Also why using a console for anything besides videogames? They are born for that, but maybe it's the old man inside me who talk right now :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

I needed another media device for my office since my PS4 handles that for my bedroom. I like console interfaces over using a dedicated Blu-ray player or something similar, plus I occasionally play some NHL20 or Madden in it. The load times/frame rate were definitely appreciated over playing the NHL games on the PS4 Pro.

If they actually put the EA NHL series on PC I definitely have 0 need for a next gen console. Ps4 got way more interesting exclusives this go around. I suspect it to be similar next gen too.

pr0cs

I wonder what the price will be, I know there are the usual pontificating that there is some silent barrier that 499 will not be breached otherwise the masses won't be on board but I seriously can't see them selling it for less than 599 on parts alone, likely even then at a loss.
Due to my shit gov't I expect it to be much worse here in Canada

HolyTruth

Banned
These system specs look great on paper, but we can all agree the games are more important than all other factors combined, right?

OK, so what?
Maybe something about games?

All Multiplatform games are not games? Like 99% of all games (total number of sold units) on PS4 are Multiplatform titles, not exclusive games

And all Multiplatform games will look and run better on Xbox. (Potentially, if leaks are true)

Also, Microsoft bought a LOT of studios. There will be much much more games nextgen.

Last edited:

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
TLoU2 will be a big seller. Still, Sony’s first party games aren’t exactly the console sellers that Nintendo games are. The majority of the world cares mostly about multiplats and Nintendo exclusives, IMO.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Funnily enough, my biggest worry with MS is also its biggest strength, being Gamepass.

It would be a pity if games lacked that final six months of polish, because Developers said ‘just stick it on Gamepass and we can patch it later’.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Funnily enough, my biggest worry with MS is also its biggest strength, being Gamepass.

It would be a pity if games lacked that final six months of polish, because Developers said ‘just stick it on Gamepass and we can patch it later’.

where has this happened so far? Forward horizon 4 was amazing day one and gears 5 was great. I suffered no problems at all with these games on day ome

vkbest

I am really not sure if people are joking or not... are you for real now? no one uses half precision when giving out performance numbers

Don't think MS is cheating us, but 12 TFLOPS (FP32) RDNA2 should be > 3x powerful 6TFLOPS from XBOX X.

Nvidia did that with K1 and X1 chips for mobile. I remember read about K1 being x times powerful than iPhone, and the same from Switch where X1 was near of XBOX 1.3 TFLOPS.

Last edited:

Banned
Don't think MS is cheating us, but 12 TFLOPS (FP32) RDNA2 should be > 3x powerful 6TFLOPS from XBOX X.

Nvidia did that with K1 and X1 chips for mobile. I remember read about K1 being x times powerful than iPhone, and the same from Switch where X1 was near of XBOX 1.3 TFLOPS.

the thing is we have the github data and people know in pretty high detail how that GPU is set up. we knew the 12TF number through people using the leaks to do the math, and Microsoft just came out and basically confirmed it now.

Vawn

Banned
All Multiplatform games are not games? Like 99% of all games (total number of sold units) on PS4 are Multiplatform titles, not exclusive games

And all Multiplatform games will look and run better on Xbox. (Potentially, if leaks are true)

Also, Microsoft bought a LOT of studios. There will be much much more games nextgen.

I'll take the console with both over the one that just has third-party games and not much else.

PlayStation and Nintendo have TONS of great exclusive games. Quite often these are many of the very best games each generation. In Sony's case, those are in addition to all the third-party games.

Microsoft sadly hasn't been able to compete on the front in a long, long time. Quality of exclusive games is just not a priority for Xbox sadly. At least they're buying some mid-level, B-tier studios to pad things out, so I guess that's something.

Last edited:

CeeJay

I'll take the console with both over the one that just has third-party games and not much else.

PlayStation and Nintendo have TONS of great exclusive games. Quite often these are many of the very best games each generation. In Sony's case, those are in addition to all the third-party games.

Microsoft sadly hasn't been able to compete on the front in a long, long time. Quality of exclusive games is just not a priority for Xbox sadly. At least they're buying some mid-level, B-tier studios to pad things out, so I guess that's something.
Do you not want to factor in the new studio acquisitions for your predictions?

Tiamat2san

where has this happened so far? Forward horizon 4 was amazing day one and gears 5 was great. I suffered no problems at all with these games on day ome

Gears 5 was a terrible game at launch.
The campaign crashed very often, the game crashed randomly in all modes, the saves had big problems (no collectibles saved during 10 to 50 minutes)
It was a problem with the servers.
It ruined my enjoyment to play with my wife in coop.

Now it’s fine but still it lasted for 1 month.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Gears 5 was a terrible game at launch.
The campaign crashed very often, the crashed randomly in all modes, the saves had big problems (no collectibles saved during 10 to 50 minutes)
It was a problem with the servers.
It ruined my enjoyment to play with my wife in coop.

Now it’s fine but still it lasted for 1 month.
I honestly never had any crashes with it. I was playing the xbox X and everything went smooth for me. not saying it didn't happen just I never had those issues, I did read about a few issues though

Tiamat2san

I honestly never had any crashes with it. I was playing the xbox X and everything went smooth for me. not saying it didn't happen just I never had those issues, I did read about a few issues though
Seriously ?
I was on X too.
I have an excellent internet connection.
It was almost the only thing people were talking on Gears forums.
It was a worldwide phenomenon.
You are a very lucky guy.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Seriously ?
I was on X too.
I have an excellent internet connection.
It was almost the only thing people were talking on Gears forums.
It was a worldwide phenomenon.
You are a very lucky guy.
honestly 100% nothing happened. I took about a week to complete it and had no glitches or anything and I like to look everywhere in a game, explore every corner

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Are you concerned? You seem like you are.

NickFire

I bet this beast will be $599.
I'm thinking 499 at most. The comment about competing on both performance and price has gotten louder and louder in my mind. They've backed up their word on performance, made lots of moves I think on devs, and are all in on gamepass. Seems doubtful to me that they let the air out of the balloon with a price point that I do think will be rejected by casuals. Although, that rumored Series S could be their justification for such a high X price.

Plus, MS knows it cannot make any mistakes I assume. They were in a great position with 360, but then (IMO) shot themselves in the foot with the RRoD that gave them all sorts of bad press once they have inventory to move. Then the last launch was an absolute disaster on pretty much all fronts. I just can't see them shooting themselves in the foot again with a price only PC gamers think is reasonable. Honestly, I won't be shocked in the least if they copy the Sony playbook and mic drop an unexpectedly low price.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
$499 seems too cheap. Its a high end product meant for console gamers willing to pay extra for a premium experience. I don't think, even MS, is willing to take a real big loss on hardware.

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
Sales seem to matter to you. So go support Dreams rather than lurking in an Xbox thread. Heard 1500 people bought it the opening week, they need your support. Bye.
I would tell you to go support one of the many many flops Microsoft put out this gen but now that they got degrated to 1$ gamepass filler there is no point anymore, I guess. Hope you and your fellow xbros enjoy another gen dominated by Playstation.

I bet this beast will be $599.

id happily spend it for this beast

giphy.gif

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Me too, that’s why I played the campaign a second time because 50% of what I found were MIA.
I love this game and can’t wait for nextgen to play gears 6 !
Yeah I thought it was a great game, the open world bits could of been a bit tighter I suppose but I realy thought it was great.

It’s funny how gears gets critiqued for being to similar to what’s come befor it but uncharted gets praised for the same lol

Jigsaah

Gold Member
The equivalent GPU is $800 alone, let alone the cost of the case, power supply, the SSD, disc drive, and controller. I think the cost of the machine will actually be $900 but Microsoft will eat $100 of the price at launch to retail at $799.

Care to make a bet? If it comes out at $599, I'll make my avatar white text on a black blackground that says VAWN WAS RIGHT and leave it up for a year. If it retails at $799, you make your avatar say SHIFTY WAS RIGHT and leave it up for a year. Any other retail price cancels the bet.
Shifty you aren't considering they buy these parts wholesale are you? I think Vawn has a better chance of being right than you do....but too late now. Enjoy your new Avatar bro.

Larry Hryb:
Yeah. I mean I saw, I was, when we made the announcement earlier this week, I was kind of looking through of all the details I was looking through some of the gaming forums and people like you can't build a gaming PC like this today at almost any price. Right?

Jason R:
Absolutely. And that's the thing is we have a great partnership with AMD and we're really leveraging the bleeding edge technology from them to make sure that this console is really designed for the future.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Banned
Larry Hryb:
Yeah. I mean I saw, I was, when we made the announcement earlier this week, I was kind of looking through of all the details I was looking through some of the gaming forums and people like you can't build a gaming PC like this today at almost any price. Right?

Jason R:
Absolutely. And that's the thing is we have a great partnership with AMD and we're really leveraging the bleeding edge technology from them to make sure that this console is really designed for the future.
There it is. 😎

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So, I’m dead set that it will be 499 minimum, but I was wondering:

IF they somehow manage to sell this beast for 399, would that in turn cause a drop in desktop GPU prices?

why buy a 2070 Super for 499 when you can get the XsX for 399, for example?
At $399 Microsoft would basically be subsidizing next gen. I'm trying to wrap my mind around a $399 XSX. It's like feeding a robot a paradox... it just does not compute.

Ok, subduing my logical mind...Alright XSX is $399, first of all, Sony headquarters is on fire and Microsoft is crashing the market. I think the upcoming 30 series would have a larger effect on overall GPU prices. That and whatever AMD drops roughly around the same time. They are known for undercutting the competition pretty deep. Of course RTX made it so NVidia could maintain relatively ridiculous prices for 2080 ti and the like. Short answer to your question is yea, probably, but there are other factors to consider?

NickFire

So, I’m dead set that it will be 499 minimum, but I was wondering:

IF they somehow manage to sell this beast for 399, would that in turn cause a drop in desktop GPU prices?

why buy a 2070 Super for 499 when you can get the XsX for 399, for example?
I don't put much stock in any relationship between MS/Sony prices and retail. MS/Sony probably don't pay anything close to wholesale I would think. Their purchase orders probably help the gpu manufacturer with overhead on their other sales. Volume always comes in cheaper. And I would assume MS / Sony could waive warranties for the right price. That let's GPU avoid dealing with warranty claims, and they already don't need any sort of customer service team for sales to MS/Sony I'm guessing because end users call MS/Sony. Then you take away almost all packaging, consolidate shipping, etc.

I will say this, again on this thread PS5 is most likely a 100$ cheaper, 9tf machine. Playstation fans should be happy about the competition that xbox is gonna bring in terms of consoles' vfm and exclusives.
What makes you think it will be $100 dearer?
If, the XSX has more tflops, why do you think that would add $100 to the BOM?
The only difference would be maybe $10 extra for the APU cost.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got to remember folks that console spec prices and PC retail prices are totally different.

Console makers buy these chips by the millions and are fabricated direct into the hardware. Console maker sells hardware roughly break even...... some years a small profit, some eras at a loss. The chip maker sells at a lower cost due to so many chips ordered.

PC parts is different.

- sold individually to gamers
- fancy packaging
- depending on the retailer, it might go through a wholesaler first
- chip maker sells chips at higher price to start with
- add in wholesaler mark up maybe 5-10%?
- add in retailer mark up of maybe 25%?

I wouldn’t be surprised if a PC GPU selling for let’s say $500 to people, MS and Sony could do a contract where they pay $200-250. While it would would be a starting price of maybe $350 + wholesaler mark up + retailer mark up = $500 for a PC gamer.

my numbers are off but you get the idea of value chain and costs

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Larry Hryb:

Jason R:
Certain PC people will still be in denial.

Top Bottom