• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Appreciation Thread

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
sp0rsk said:
Yeahhhh actually. It was nice and alien and everything, but I cant remember a damn thing about it besides those god awful zip lines. It's certainly not bad, but it hasn't really changed much since the original prime.

Also, don't forget fetus woman and all the human designs looking pretty fucking awful.
well, to each his own and yadda yadda, but for me metroid was never about humans. actually, i did not have much of an issue filtering those out on a sub-conscious level. especially the abominable end scene at the deck. i don't even remember who was there and what those figures were saying. and i've beaten the game 4 times.

EmCeeGramr said:
MP3 actually uses achievements in a good way. I loved the feeling of working my way towards unlockables. The friend voucher shit was stupid however.
friend vouchers could've been much more useful if their did not yield their own token type but could be used as a wildcard token instead.

DEO3

Loved MP1, never really got into MP2, and wasn't really sure about MP3 - until I got to Bryyo. At the start, you could almost confuse MP3 for Halo, what with all the dialogue/space marines/etc., it just wasn't very Metroidy. But once you find yourself alone and lost on an ancient alien planet, it all comes back to you. Loved MP3. Loved Bryyo, really loved Skytown, really really loved Pirate Homeworld.

I was so stoked after beating it I wanted to play through it again - and so I did, on Hypermode - which was an incredible experience.

AniHawk said:
By far the last in the trilogy.
:lol

Oh you.

Amir0x said:
I was so fond of this game, especially the entire sky city segment. And I appreciate that while Wii is obviously a last-gen system in terms of power, competent developers can still create extremely attractive games that aren't cel-shaded with some clever techniques. Lots of texture variation!

I think it was a worthy end to the trilogy. Third favorite game on Wii, after Boom Blox and Super Mario Galaxy.
Gotta agree with the Hopium addict.

legend166 said:
I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a 8.5, maybe a 9/10. Not as good as Prime 1, but that was my favourite game of last gen.

woah, I wonder how you'd rate Galaxy then since it wasn't even your favourite

ziran

For me the stand out was the music, I preferred it to Echoes and thought it was nearly as amazing as Prime 1 (one of the best ever). The art direction was very good, the FPS controls were great and much better than dual analogue which has always been a shitty retarded control system anyway, and they gameplay was mostly good.

The other motion controls, they were nice first time, but annoying for most of the game. The level design was decent, but sometimes poor, and not a patch on Prime 1. The puzzles were mostly too easy, to the extent they weren't really puzzles, and when they were harder, like the Energy Cell in Bryyo's crane, they were so bizarre you weren't ready for them. Not difficult, just incongruous to most of the game. The boss battles were okay/good, but not as great or satisfying as Prime 1.

The biggest problem I had with the game is Retro tried to do too much. The contents of the game were spread too thin. I'd have rather had less abilities that were more useful and fleshed out. A longer game may have helped, but I'd had enough by the end.

Overall, I enjoyed it, in a 8/10 - 8.5/10 way.

Not as good as Prime 1, which is one of the greatest games ever made imo, and easily the best game from a first person point of view, ever, but still very good.

sp0rsk said:
Yeahhhh actually. It was nice and alien and everything, but I cant remember a damn thing about it besides those god awful zip lines. It's certainly not bad, but it hasn't really changed much since the original prime.

Also, don't forget fetus woman and all the human designs looking pretty fucking awful.

How are the zip lines awful? They were a fun and novel way to traverse the city. And the humans played such a minor role that I find it hard to believe that they could detract from your enjoyment of the game.

bigmakstudios said:
How are the zip lines awful? They were a fun and novel way to traverse the city. And the humans played such a minor role that I find it hard to believe that they could detract from your enjoyment of the game.

Yeah I love the ziplines, they were fun and rarely boring since Retro gave you enemies to pinpoint as you slid along to your next destination. Besides, soon enough you were given access to cannons which saved you the trip.

In my opinion, the real problem with Skytown is that it has so many elevator rooms that look the same. It holds the world back from being a true mastepiece, as everything else is just sublime. Amazing atmosphere.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Prime 1 is probably in my top five favorite games of all time.

Comparing prime 3 to other prime games
Improvements:
Controls
Graphics Technical (better hardware, but of course 1 was more impressive at the time)
Graphics artistic (better than 2, one had more diversity and was more original at the time)
Pacing
Ship usage
Grapple usage
More combat

Better in previous games:
Music (I can still hum PDrifts and MCaves music)
Usage of skills acquired (used ship missiles and grapple voltage once or twice)
Environment variety (1 is unmached)
Originality factor
Samus design in 1 is the best. (most realistic, less cartoony looking)
Different beams.
Visors
Suit upgrades

amtentori said:
Prime 1 is probably in my top five favorite games of all time.

Comparing prime 3 to other prime games
Improvements:
Controls
Graphics Technical (better hardware, but of course 1 was more impressive at the time)
Graphics artistic (better than 2, one had more diversity and was more original at the time)
Pacing
Ship usage
Grapple usage
More combat

Better in previous games:
Music (I can still hum PDrifts and MCaves music)
Usage of skills acquired (used ship missiles and grapple voltage once or twice)
Environment variety (1 is unmached)
Originality factor
Samus design in 1 is the best. (most realistic, less cartoony looking)
Different beams.
Visors
Suit upgrades

I can agree with nearly all of this.

However, i will say that although the environments were more varied in Prime, those in Corruption (and Echoes for that matter) were less generic and adhered much more to the notion of an alien world. The areas were visited in Prime were all very nice, but not truly alien or unique - rather they felt like they ticked the boxes of what sorts of environments we should see in a game, or earth for that matter. Thankfully, places such as the bottom level of Phazon Mines and of course the Impact Crater made up for this slight shortcoming. It's more me just nitpicking, but really, even the standard areas in previous Metroid games (Brinstar, Norfair, etc - these were all 'generic' environments) were made unique by small, but intricate alien details. The bubbles of norfair, for instance.

It's this reason why i loved seeing the amazing art direction found in Echoes and Corruption. Just those small alien details. You had the bright blue holographic trees in Agon. The hanging pods in Torvus. Pretty much everything in Sanctuary (especially the electric rain). The spiky mushrooms in Bryyo (not to mention the moons attached to giant chains). The swaying tentacles of Phaaze. And so on. Prime didn't really have these kinds of details to seperate them from ordinary environments. That's not to ignore how well each area in Prime was conveyed (the Chozo Ruins in particular were pretty much perfectly realised) but i do not think they were truly alien.

Top Bottom