• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Appreciation Thread

Tab0203

2e55zxz.jpg

11tblnt.jpg

257kigh.jpg

vwwcb5.jpg

vcv4t0.jpg

rka73c.jpg

Taichu

I loved this one, probably tied with Hunters as my favorite of the Prime games. They were all great though.

The only thing I didn't like about the game was the overly difficult ending. You have to traverse down the planet AND fight some minibosses AND fight 3 bosses AND get no health back the entire time. Also, they changed the health system at the very end which throws you off. That's some Echoes' design gameplay and really my only gripe with the single player game. I can't beat that part on Veteran and gave up, though I'll probably give it another shot sometime. I'd really like to play through again on the hardest mode without losing all my tokens and scans.

Also, I was disappointed with the lack of a multiplayer mode. I know that Echoes' multiplayer wasn't too great, but with Hunters-esque gameplay and the Wii controls, that would have been superb. They could have brought back the classic Hunters and added the new ones too... Such a lost opportunity.

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Great series, haven't played this one yet. Acutally supposed to be borrowing it again this weekend. Thread has me HYPED.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Best First Person Gameplay of this generation.

Disappointed a bit by the soundtrack and the lack of free exploration.

9.4/10 IMHO
OK --- a little OT tangent here:

9.4? Seriously? When you play a game you evaluate it on a scale of 1 through 10 with tenths of points thrown in? I've always wondered why websites do this, but to see it happening on a micro/individual level astounds me. Why assign a number? Moreover, why use tenths of points as well? What makes a game a 9.4 and not a 9.3 or 9.5?

EDIT: I want to be clear that I'm not attacking you personally, but would genuinely like to know the thought process behind this.

Christine

I don't know why the morphball segments are so cruelly underrated - Corruption might not be the equal of Echoes in this regard, but it stomps all over the first Prime.

Haruspex

Banned
Truly excellent title, even if it sometimes veered a little too close to standard FPS territory for my liking and the other hunters broke the seclusion that characterises Metroid titles. Also the visors didn't come into play much.

Artistically the Prime games are at the pinnacle of gaming in my eyes, and Skytown is one of the most majestic locales in gaming. And stepping into the main hall in Bryyo for the first time was exhilarating. Controls were near perfect as they could be and the soundtrack was superb as ever, if not quite as memorable as the original Prime. In some ways the game was 'dumbed-down' but sometimes people use this to describe a streamlined gameplay experience.

It will be really interesting to see where the series heads next, the Metroid games have been consistently remarkable (except maybe Hunters and Pinball, if that counts) and if Retro are not working on the next game I just hope the art is somehow retained, they are one hell of a talented bunch.

... oh and Bryyo Cliffside music is stunning!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TwinIonEngines said:
Actually, the inglets were not possessed indigenous creatures - they're an amorphous blob of pure ing-stuff until they extrude a tentacle.
ok, after regrouping my memories, i have to admit i was wrong - i originally meant darklings, but of course, the inglets are not darklings, they're just young/undercast ings.

My best guess if you want a 'canonical' explanation for the similarity is that the Ing are actually a form of Phazon life - the reason for the drastic differences between the two comes from the Luminoth's attempts to stop or divert the Leviathan meteor striking Aether. Trapped in the alternate space of Dark Aether, the normal course of Phazon biology couldn't occur so it instead expressed itself as the Ing.
hmm. though a plausible explanation, i'm not sure i'd accept it. the ing seem like an evolved, sentient species with a social structure, etc, and while the canon gives no account of their existence prior to the aether events, it seems rather natural for me to assume their original existence in their home dimension. we may surely assume some effect of phazon on them, and i'd much rather side with the idea the the ing, as a whole, are (dark) aether's version of a seed quardian, it's just that this time it was not a single creature but a whole race that got corrupted. after all, in corruption we get hints of this being the fate of leviathan-struck civilizations (here i'm referring much more to elysia and pirates' civilization than bryyo). actually, one can think of the ing as being the leviathan-struck space pirates of dark aether.

kinosama

Neo Member
jjasper said:
I completely disagree with this. For all the build up to the final show down with Dark Samus the final fight was severely lacking. It is a big part of the reason why I think it is the worst of the Prime games.
The last boss fight was pretty weak, but the game as a whole was an excellent addition to one of the best series in videogame history, and a worthy conclusion to the trilogy that reinvented it. At least that's what I felt when I beat the final boss and stood watching the ending to a story arc I'd started five years earlier on the Gamecube.

This thread needs some more good screens :D

928517_20070827_screen092.jpg

928517_20070827_screen097.jpg

928517_20070827_screen109.jpg

928517_20070827_screen082.jpg

928517_20070827_screen079.jpg

928517_20070827_screen086.jpg

928517_20070827_screen006.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001355148.jpg

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20070822001350210.jpg

Amazing game, but my least favorite of the Prime trilogy. Mainly because I had wanted something a bit more different, crazier, and more innovative. I felt Echoes had the perfect difficulty level (my favorite of the series), but the streamlining in Prime 3 definitely helped the pacing of the game a lot. There were some great boss battles and cool uses of the Wiimote (I wish there was way more of it). Aiming was super smooth, everything was very polished - typical Retro/Nintendo. Can't wait for Retro's next game. 9.5/10

dkeane

Probably my favorite Wii game. The controls just felt so great and although the beginning was a little generic the later sections made up for it. I liked using the ship for saves and traveling and all the un-lockables were fun. Also looks frickin great on my plasma.

Hiltz

I originally didn't plan on picking up Metroid Prime 3, but after Nintendo demonstrated the FPS controls and after having read one of the last interviews with Retro Studios, I just had to get the game. Overall, MP3 turned out to be the most enjoyable out of the three titles for me despite some of its disappointing flaws.

Pros:

- Cool game intro with it having Samus wake up in her spaceship and having the player getting used to the controls

- Great looking graphics and some really nice special effects

- The art style and attention to detail to the alien architecture and environments are impressive

- Loading times were masked in a clever way for both with the door loading and spaceship cut scenes

- Impressive FPS controls

They were intuitive, fast, responsive, and accurate. They worked really well to keep the gameplay at a smooth and fluid pace without causing any frustration or inconveniences

- The Phazon weapon was a well-balanced and useful new feature

- The spaceship as an alternative save system was quite convenient and its limited use for puzzle-solving was a good new feature too

- Good level design, good game pacing and easy to understand map navigation

- The game's menu title screen with the alien bug looks awesome

- The surprisingly cool early boss battle with Ridley down the shaft

- The Grapple beam and lasso and the torch wielder beam were satisfying to use

- Combat felt tighter and less chaotic due to the combination of Wii controls and beam stacking

- The achievement reward system was a nice little touch and a good way to gain access to the unlockable content

- A good combination of relaxing and intense music

- The informative visor scanner continues to be one of the most interesting, unique and innovative ways to learn more about the game's story,characters, technology, history and how to deal with enemies and puzzles

You either love it or hate it

- Omega Ridley looked awesome

- As much as I dislike fetch quests, I thought Prime 3 used the right approach when it came to implementing them

Cons:

- Dumbed-down puzzle-solving

- There could have been more tunes to the soundtrack as it just that it seemed like the main world theme tunes were used too much

- The main theme music of MP3 was good but not as good as Prime 1 & 2's

- Some fairly annoying door loading times

- I wish Retro would have included more diversity with the boss fights

- While it made things easier, I still wasn't a big fan of the talking super computer telling the player where to go and stating mission objectives

It just contributed to helping make Prime 3 feel like a different kind of Metroid game that kind of betrayed the franchise's roots of granting free exploration and figuring out what to do by yourself

- Retro Studios should have done more stuff with the achievement reward system

- I was disappointing that Retro Studios did not include more special effects for Samus's visor beyond the lava and the mist special effects

- I wish there were more weapon and suit upgrades

What was available was great but it could have used more even though Retro said that this was done due to the limit of buttons on the Wii controls and they also wanted the player to use their current weapons more often

- The ending was lame

I couldn't help but laugh at how dorky Samus looked when she gave the thumbs up sign while her spaceship

- No Mother Brain boss

I know Prime 3 falls into a certain part of the Metroid storyline, but how awesome would it have been to face a proper 3D Mother Brain boss ?

MP Corruption is a truly exceptional game. A bit on the user friendly and casual side since it's not very difficult and almost looked like a reboot, but it's a really minor complaint since it's got everything: incredible design, spot on controls, diverse locations, superb soundtrack, and last but not least, FINALLY a long and meaty single player experience.
I'm dso totally sick of great games ending in less than a weekend, and MP3 delivered a 20 hours adventure..and a damn funny one as well

online is useless, but who cares. BUY THIS GAME IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY

jjasper

Hiltz said:
I know Prime 3 falls into a certain part of the Metroid storyline, but how awesome would it have been to face a proper 3D Mother Brain boss ?

What really sucks is that they had a chance to tie in the prime series with the original but they completely dropped the ball. All they had to to was have the Aurora unit survive and stolen by the pirates and at the end instead of having one of Samus's shitty friends chase after her have the Gen or whatever he was(who should have been named Adam) send her to SR388.

Christine

blu said:
hmm. though a plausible explanation, i'm not sure i'd accept it. the ing seem like an evolved, sentient species with a social structure, etc, and while the canon gives no account of their existence prior to the aether events, it seems rather natural for me to assume their original existence in their home dimension. we may surely assume some effect of phazon on them, and i'd much rather side with the idea the the ing, as a whole, are (dark) aether's version of a seed quardian, it's just that this time it was not a single creature but a whole race that got corrupted. after all, in corruption we get hints of this being the fate of leviathan-struck civilizations (here i'm referring much more to elysia and pirates' civilization than bryyo). actually, one can think of the ing as being the leviathan-struck space pirates of dark aether.

I think we're more or less on the same page as far as the principle goes - Phazon uses whatever is available, in this case the stuff of Dark Aether... but I really don't think that the Ing have an existence prior to the cataclysm on Aether.

Luminoth Lore - The Stellar Object said:
We fired numerous weapons at it in a vain attempt to alter its trajectory. Nothing worked. Our efforts placed a great strain on the Energy Controllers, and weakened Aether.

Luminoth Lore - Age of Anxiety said:
Half of the planet's energy had vanished from the Energy Controllers. Aether became violently unstable as a result. Of the stellar object which struck our home, there was no sign.

This is markedly different from every other Leviathan impact seen in the series - Tallon IV, Bryyo, Elysia, the Pirate Homeworld and presumably even Phaaze were not split into parallel dimensions. The ending of Echoes very clearly establishes that when all the planetary energy is returned to Light Aether, Dark Aether ceases to exist. It naturally follows that it did not exist prior to the disappearance of planetary energy from the Energy Controllers. My interpretation is that the Luminoth overtechnology was at least partially successful at diverting the Leviathian by imprisoning it in an alternate dimension, or that there was some unintended reaction involving the planetary energy distribution that caused the Aether/Dark Aether split.

One thing of note is that there isn't a standard Leviathan Seed / Impact Crater structure in the second game. The Emperor Ing is guarding the planetary energy, not anything that produces phazon. I like to think of the Ing as a new lifeform created by the introduction of phazon into an alternate dimension - in other words, had Samus not been around to save the day, Aether would not develop into a Phaaze-like world, which is the clear destiny of all the other leviathan-struck worlds in the series.

Teknoman

Thats the first thing I though of when I saw the Aurora Unit blueprint on the preview channel, big 3d highly detailed Super Metroid esque bipedal Motherbrain. Also Kraid should've made an appearance in the game. Ridley is cool and all but you can just leave the other Metroid staple boss out.

I just wish there were more first person adventure or survival horror games for the Wii. The motion controls and aiming were just great for the game. That being said, are we going to have to wait a long time for another Metroid game to be revealed?

All I can say is that when I first landed on Skytown, and the music kicked in, I knew that I felt something special about this game.

My favorite game for the Wii. SMG was fuckawesome and all, but, nothing this gen made me feel this immersed than MP3. I actually didn't mind it being linear. I just wish Samus starts to fucking talk in the next installment, and that the production values are significantly raised. She sounds hot in Brawl, damnit!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Least favorite in the trilogy by a large margin. All the usual complaints mentioned apply for me. I mostly disliked the overabundant use of the hyperbeam for bosses and greater enemies(veteran mode at least). The worlds didn't feel cohesive or interesting as an exploration game or a corridor shooter. The plot was really limp and the narrative messed with isolationist aspect I so adore about the franchise usually. Also, I was already tired of Dark Samus after MP2 that it was a total joykill here. I did enjoy the controls however.

I've played it for about 2 hours and I don't like it. I'm not comfortable with the control system, the 'weapons' have no impact and are lackluster, the enemies are boring to fight and the whole thing just feels average too me.

I finished Metroid Prime 1. I think that's enough Metoid for the rest of my life.

marwan

Banned
MP3 was great, but the 3 things that bugged me the most were:

-The none sense talking in the game, i prefer the mute and mysterious atmosphere of Metroid

-The bosses were pathetic and uninnovative

-The game was way too easy. Metroid Prime 1 had the best difficulty and bosses.

regardless of that i still enjoyed MP3, but MP1 was simply amazing in every way. (MP3 had the best controls)

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I haven't touched the game for a bunch of months now. I've made it to the space pirate planet, but I guess some other game came up and stole my attention from Corruption.

Gotta try to finish it soon, but it really sucks to pick up a game several months after you last played it.

My jaw hit the floor when i turned around on Bryyo after landing and just marveled at the back drop. Chucks of planet and small moons held together by chains with exposed molten cores hanging in a twilight of multiple suns. Awesome.

legend166

I really enjoyed it. I'd give it a 8.5, maybe a 9/10. Not as good as Prime 1, but that was my favourite game of last gen.

I know some people wouldn't like it, but I'd buy Prime 1 + 2 redone on Wii with Wii controls. As long as it didn't take away too many resources from whatever Retro is working on now.

pakkit

Banned
Needed MoH:H2 turn speed/customizability for controls. Other than that, my favorite game for Wii. The controls were complex and daunting at first, but eventually they became second natures. This was the first (and last) game for that really steeped me in its atmosphere and where I felt that the Wii controls really aided in the immersion. I know it's a PR line, but, for this game, I actually genuinely agreed.

This game also helped me recognize what I didn't like about LoZ: TP, and played like a more fulfilling version of that adventure style game.

pringles

Awesome game. In many ways the best in the series, and definitely one of the top games of last year.
Took me a while to really get into it, but when I did I played through most of it in a couple of days.

I also thought the graphics were absolutely spectacular in some places (this coming from someone who's played Crysis on High).

AniHawk

tetrisgrammaton said:
the boss battles in it SUCK

Agreed. The first Ridley fight was fucking awesome, but everything afterwards was essentially the same. The only fights I found worthwhile in the three games were the first Ridley fight in Corruption and the Quadraxis battle in Echoes.

beef3483

This is still my favorite game of this generation and it further cemented Retro as my favorite developer in the world.

Gamer @ Heart said:
My jaw hit the floor when i turned around on Bryyo after landing and just marveled at the back drop. Chucks of planet and small moons held together by chains with exposed molten cores hanging in a twilight of multiple suns. Awesome.

Landing on each new planet (and then subsequently exploring) was the most satisfying aspect of the game. Retro took thier art direction up another notch with this title.

I wish I played Prime 3 before Prime 1 and 2, because I got really worn out of the Prime games by the time I was playing 3. The controls are great (dispite my thinking that first person shooters on the Wii will always be flawed and third person is the way to go.) and everything else was pretty much solid. I had some small problems with the game, but more or less I thought it was great. I may not really like it as much as some of you guys, but again that is because MP2 was the game that drained me, so when I got up to MP3 I liked everything about it, but I didn't have that much will to play it.

AniHawk said:
Agreed. The first Ridley fight was fucking awesome, but everything afterwards was essentially the same. The only fights I found worthwhile in the three games were the first Ridley fight in Corruption and the Quadraxis battle in Echoes.

my main complaint is that most battles take entirely too long.

i mean you can defeat mother brain in the original in like 1 minute but its still a challenge

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Such a wild ride going through this trilogy. Prime 1 was my game of the previous generation, I didn't even finish Echoes, and 3 is good, but not great. The phazon/dark samus thing never really appealed to me too much I guess.

I would kill for a Prime 1 remake with Wii controls.

Fucking love this game so much.

MP series. <3

The Ridley fight was amazing, landing on the destroyed spaceship thing, amazing! I remember thinking wow - wish all Wii games looked this goood.

PA050528b.jpg

Jiggy

I was feeling really iffy on even getting this since I hated MP2 so much--immense disappointment after liking MP1 quite a bit--but it turned out that I liked MP3 a lot. It may not be a Metroid game in feel (or anything terribly resembling one, for that matter), but it's my favorite in the Prime trilogy. As far as games that take place in space and are playable on a Wii go, I think it's my second favorite there.
With the first being Super Metroid
. I immediately went to play on Hard after beating it, and then after beating that I immediately went to play on Hyper, which I would count as a good thing--possibly one of the best things I could say about MP3. Extreme linearity still isn't my preference in the case of games with this many tools at players' disposal, though.

blu

TwinIonEngines said:
This is markedly different from every other Leviathan impact seen in the series - Tallon IV, Bryyo, Elysia, the Pirate Homeworld and presumably even Phaaze were not split into parallel dimensions. The ending of Echoes very clearly establishes that when all the planetary energy is returned to Light Aether, Dark Aether ceases to exist. It naturally follows that it did not exist prior to the disappearance of planetary energy from the Energy Controllers. My interpretation is that the Luminoth overtechnology was at least partially successful at diverting the Leviathian by imprisoning it in an alternate dimension, or that there was some unintended reaction involving the planetary energy distribution that caused the Aether/Dark Aether split.
i pretty much share the dimensional rift part of your paragraph, but let me give you my version for the rest:

* the luminoth most likely did manage to divert the leviathan aside of their time-space (or maybe aether was predisposed to dimensional rifting if hit, or the seed just had a bad day), and the essential outcome of that, and judging by the fact that dark aether is rather abound on phazon, is that the seed ended up there. did it proceed with its colonization cycle or was it dysfunctional due to damage by luminoth's barrage, we're not given to know, but the seed, or at least what was left of it, did end up there.

* dark aether did appear 'out of the blue' in luminoth space-time, and it did eventually disappear in a similar way, but i don't think there's any creationism, or planetary destruction, involved - it was just a case of continuum interlacing/overlap, which was terminated with the cease of planetary energy theft/redirection. note, that the ing themselves possess some inter-dimensional traversal capabilities (see hunter cast), and for all we know, their motivation was expansionistic, i.e. they meant to finish their planet's shift into aether's space. but we don't need to attribute that to any 'phazon origin' - phazon corruption is more than sufficient for that, bar any natural behavior. see space pirates' case for a parallel.

* the ing seem to be more fascinated by dark samus, than subdued to it. for phazon-based lifeforms, i'd expect a stronger bond between these two entities. instead, they are in a more of a mutually-beneficial relationship than anything else. again, a similar condition can be found with the space pirates.

One thing of note is that there isn't a standard Leviathan Seed / Impact Crater structure in the second game. The Emperor Ing is guarding the planetary energy, not anything that produces phazon. I like to think of the Ing as a new lifeform created by the introduction of phazon into an alternate dimension - in other words, had Samus not been around to save the day, Aether would not develop into a Phaaze-like world, which is the clear destiny of all the other leviathan-struck worlds in the series.
well, we can surely agree that by the time samus interfered a seed, as known from the other cases of struck planets, was not active on dark aether.

kinosama

Neo Member
After wondering why so many posts complained about the game being too easy, I realized I played in veteran mode+expert controls straight away. Thank you for allowing the difficulty choice from the beginning this time, Retro :).

Cuu

I just started playing this again after reading the thread. I haven't touched it for a while because I started it on my roommate's Wii, and had the save on there still. I wanted to wait for my save, but I just decided to start over today.

I like the game's controls. I think the game seems a bit too generic in parts though. Ridley fight was cool though. We'll see how I feel once I complete the game.

TwinIonEngines said:
This is markedly different from every other Leviathan impact seen in the series - Tallon IV, Bryyo, Elysia, the Pirate Homeworld and presumably even Phaaze were not split into parallel dimensions.

Not necessarily. If you recall, to acquire the Screw Attack, Samus Aran travels through a rift in space to arrive at the site where the Chozo first appeared to the Bryyonians. However, from scan logs, one can gather that this location is on the other side of the planet, which was made unhabitable by the Leviathian impact. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Ydahs

I started the game knowing that I probably won't finish it as I couldn't get into MP1. A few hours into the game and I was hooked. Couldn't put it down.

The game is absolutely beautiful and the controls are so damn immersive.

I really want to retry MP1 but I doubt I'll get into it because the controls with feel so outdated.

AAA game.

blu

sp0rsk said:
Loved the controls, hated everything else.
everything? even the art direction?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
blu said:
everything? even the art direction?

Yeahhhh actually. It was nice and alien and everything, but I cant remember a damn thing about it besides those god awful zip lines. It's certainly not bad, but it hasn't really changed much since the original prime.

Also, don't forget fetus woman and all the human designs looking pretty fucking awful.

Amir0x

Banned
I was so fond of this game, especially the entire sky city segment. And I appreciate that while Wii is obviously a last-gen system in terms of power, competent developers can still create extremely attractive games that aren't cel-shaded with some clever techniques. Lots of texture variation!

I think it was a worthy end to the trilogy. Third favorite game on Wii, after Boom Blox and Super Mario Galaxy.

anachronous_one said:
Great series, haven't played this one yet. Acutally supposed to be borrowing it again this weekend. Thread has me HYPED.

OK --- a little OT tangent here:

9.4? Seriously? When you play a game you evaluate it on a scale of 1 through 10 with tenths of points thrown in? I've always wondered why websites do this, but to see it happening on a micro/individual level astounds me. Why assign a number? Moreover, why use tenths of points as well? What makes a game a 9.4 and not a 9.3 or 9.5?

EDIT: I want to be clear that I'm not attacking you personally, but would genuinely like to know the thought process behind this.

I rate all my games and I use that system. Basically it offers me the freedom to distigush games from one another. Its not about what makes a game a 9.4 or a 9.3 its just a feeling. It helps in seperating games from each other, go by a 1 or .5 system and I would have like 30 games with the same score when I don't feel they are all equal to each other.

MP3 is one of my favorite games of this gen so far, almost as good as the original. Second best original Wii game (meaning not including TP) behind Mario Galaxy.

MP3 actually uses achievements in a good way. I loved the feeling of working my way towards unlockables. The friend voucher shit was stupid however.

Top Bottom