• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Appreciation Thread

Some of you may have been part of my Twilight Princess Appreciation Thread, and after its success I've decided to do another one. Hope we get some good discussion going. Remember that even if you feel negatively the game, still share your thoughts.

By the way, spoiler warning guys. Spoilers are going to be up the wazoo in this thread.

metroid3title.jpg

The final installment in the Metroid Prime trilogy, Corruption was first revealed at E3 2005 during Nintendo's keynote speech. Most people were very excited to learn about the game, despite the fact some felt Metroid Prime 2: Echoes was a disappointment after the highly acclaimed Metroid Prime (fools).

metroid_prime_3_trailer.jpg

The small trailer was said to be running on an advanced gamecube engine. As you can see, the planet Samus lands on ultimately turned out to be Phaaze. Samus' redesigned ship, which contained missiles as well as numerous other enhancement, was also first shown during this speech.

From then on, we heard practically nothing about the title. Indeed, for a whole year, the only redeeming event was TGS 05, which not only revealed the (then) Revolution's control scheme, but also provided a private demo of Metroid Prime 2 using the remote and nunchuk. Impressions were largely positive, despite the obvious fact that the controls were very early. More importantly, it provided a great deal of insight into how Metroid Prime 3 would control.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060509000456051_640w.jpg

The old logo

E306 was the game's major breakout. But it wasn't overly positive. Early media was noticeably blurry and, considering the standard Retro had set with the previous two titles, somewhat of a letdown. It was widely known by now that Wii was nowhere near as graphically capable as its competitors, but screens suggested the game barely managed to improve from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

Furthermore, the controls were still noticeably early. Whilst functional, concerns were made towards Samus' turning speed as well as several button placements, such as using the d-pad for the visor. This was worrying as Nintendo stated during the event that Metroid Prime 3 was to launch with the console.

metroid-prime-3-corruption-20060510043406529_640w.jpg

Do not want?

However, things slowly improved over the coming months. New footage was released to the public, detailing a great amount of new game mechanics as well as showing off some much more impressive visuals. I recall GAF almost being in unanimous celebration after witnessing it. Furthermore, we soon learned that Corruption had been delayed and would no longer be a launch title. Disappointing to some, yes, but most of us realised this was a big plus, since early impressions were concerning.

Metroid Prime 3, which was promised by Iwata to have the best first-person controls of any console game ever, made a strong comeback at E3 2007. Impressions were largely positive, with some claiming that it was the first game to truly prove the potential of the Wii controls, as well as plauding the much-improved visuals. The same reception occurred when the game finally came out at the end of August, receiving mostly positive reviews, particularly from sites such as IGN and Shacknews.

However, Nintendo's marketing of the title was decidely poor. A series of low-res trailers were released on the 'Metroid Prime 3 Channel' avaliable online, but Nintendo's lack of attention to the title, as well as the fact that it launched right next to Bioshock (which had generated substantial hype) hurt its sales. That said, Metroid Prime 3 did manage to sell over 200K in its first month in the USA, and has sold nearly 1.4 million worldwide, placing it above Echoes in sales but below Metroid Prime.

But what of the game? How did us gamers feel about it? Well, that's what this topic is for. Let's Talk About Metroid Prime 3.

Locations

Hunter-class Gunship

004.jpg
022.jpg

You begin in your new ship, having just woken up from a 'nightmare' of Dark Samus being resurrected. This section of the game introduces you to the pointing controls as well as letting you figure out the surpringly deep amount of options within, including a defence shield, radio transmission, a list of your various achievements within the game, and more. A cool feature within the ship is the ability to check how much phazon lies within your body, or your 'Corruption Level'. This level will grow thoughout the game as you become more and more infected, something that will not only greatly affect gameplay, but Samus' appearance. Though you do not directly control the ship, you will use it a lot throughout Corruption, as it allows you to reach all sorts of new areas, including the Leviathan within each world. The ship will also receive numerous upgrades during your adventure.

GFS Olympus

058.jpg
263.jpg

513.jpg
435.jpg

453.jpg
475.jpg

One of GF's most valued ships, you'll find a great deal of neon blue corridors, high-tech machinery and GF troops within its confines. You don't stay in this area for long (though you do return back to it for a short period of time later in the game), as it basically serves as a tutorial for all the controls in the game, as well as introducing you to a variety of important characters, including Rundus, Ghor and Gandrayda. You learn that an Aurora Unit has been infected with a virus and stolen by the Space Pirates on the GFS Valhalla, a derelict space station. Soon enough, the space pirates attack the Olympus, and it's your job to get down to Norion to help repel the attack.

Norion

0025.jpg
0189.jpg

0320.jpg
0350.jpg

0540.jpg
0815.jpg

Aesthetically very similar to the GFS Olympus, Norion's cliffs are home to a massive GF base. Upon arrival you're immediately told to help get back the generators online in order to repel the Space Pirate assault, with the help of the other hunters. It's unfortunate then, that both Ridley and Dark Samus are present to do everything in their power to stop you from preventing a leviathan seed from corrupting the entire planet. Thankfully, Samus manages to destroy the leviathan in time, but suffers Corruption from Dark Samus.

Bryyo Cliffside

017.jpg
027.jpg

299.jpg
086.jpg

344.jpg
437.jpg

Bryyo is the first 'real' world you visit in the game. All sorts of alien vegetation populated the area, most notably the many 'mushrooms' that grow among the area's crumbling walls. It's very archaic in design, showing faint signs of a fallen tribal empire. Home to the reptilicus, the cliffside area is full of dangerous beasts who have been corrupted, and enhanced, by the powers of Phazon. You can also see signs of Rundus' recent activity in the ara, including frozen enemies and bridges made out of ice.

Fiery Bryyo

384.jpg
428.jpg

102.jpg
057.jpg

The fiery confines of Bryyo, home to the highly-valued substance known as Fuel Gel. Various statues within the area provide insight into a heirachy that once existed within the planet. Flames emenate from all corners, and it is within these walls that Samus meets Rundus, who has changed noticeably since the last time they met...

Bryyo Thorn Jungle

030.jpg
429.jpg

174.jpg
649.jpg

As Samus moves closer and closer towards the Seed, so too do her enemies become more aggressive and numerous. Danger lurks within every corner, and it is up to Samus to destroy the generator that protects the Leviathan seed. Once she destroys the two generators (the other being located in the depths of Fiery Bryyo), Samus is finally allowed to enter the leviathan and destroy it.

Bryyo Ice

191.jpg
181.jpg

122.jpg
216.jpg

A secret world that Samus is able to teleport too once she acquires the Plasma Beam. Reminiscent of the much-loved Phendrana Drifts, this area is very small but contains the vital Screw Attack. A eeire moment occurs when Auroria Unit 242 tries to contact you, yet all you hear is scrambled dialogue.

The Seed

006.jpg
272.jpg

013.jpg
023.jpg

You'll come across one of these areas several times throughout the game. Twisted by the mutagenic powers of Phazon, the seeds feature some of the most alien art direction to be found in the entire series. Each one is home to a frightening boss, who Samus must take down in order to expose the core of the leviathan. Destroying the core rids the entire planet of corruption.

Skytown

004.jpg
138.jpg

070.jpg
075.jpg

004.jpg
676.jpg

A deserted city located high abovethe storm clouds of Elysia, containing a unique rail system which Samus grapples onto, as well as variety of elevators, boost ball cannons, and other machinery. Poison has struck a technically advanced race created by the Chozo. The Aurora Unit who governs the area has been corrupted by Phazon, and requires Samus' help to perish the entire world of the blue mutagen before it is too late, even it means the end of Ghor.

Pirate Homeworld

013.jpg
171.jpg

267.jpg
275.jpg

015.jpg
276.jpg

The land of the Space Pirates. Under the control of Dark Samus, the pirates infected their planet with a leviathan, which has slowly turned the planet into a phazon world. The world glows with an orange hue. Acid rain cascades upon the highly advanced machinery that exists within, including a train system, and Samus must overcome all obstacles in order to perish the world of not only the seed, but the corrupted Gandrayda as well.

GFS Valhalla

025.jpg
056.jpg

306.jpg
409.jpg

A derelict GF vessel recently invaded by not only space pirates, but also metroids. GF troopers lie around the ship, their bodies completely sucked dry. The atmosphere is incredibly haunting and depressing, but Samus must persevere and find her way throughout the ship in order to gain the entry codes to the leviathan that will help her find Dark Samus and end the spread of Phazon once and for all.

Phaaze

028.jpg
134.jpg

279.jpg
228.jpg

The Phazon planet. This is where it all began, and it is here that Samus eventually finds her nemesis. The land is completely mutated, and upon entering its atmosphere, Samus is corrupted to the point that her own ship does not recognise her. At near full-corruption, Samus must fight against all odds to bring back not only Dark Samus, but also the infected leviathan stolen from the GFS Valhalla. With that, she is able to destroy Phaaze and restore peace to the Galaxy.

The bosses

601.jpg
1015.jpg

488.jpg
223.jpg

059.jpg
751.jpg

1203.jpg
054.jpg

768.jpg
041.jpg

369.jpg
478.jpg

The music

Some of my favourites from the game:

Title Screen/Menu
In The Cockpit
Meta Ridley
Bryyo Cliffside
Rundus' Theme
Bryyo Ice
Skytown
Pirate Homeworld
Gandrayda's Theme
Dark Samus
Credits

Things you may have never noticed in Metroid Prime 3

Metroid Prime is known for its subtle details, and some are so subtle in Corruption that you may have never noticed them. Here's a few:

- The cockpit theme contains the bassline of the Theme of Samus.
- You can see Rundus on a cliff in Bryyo. It's right outside the crashed GF frigate.
- Use the X-Ray Visor on Metroid Hatchers for an insta-kill.
- There is one single room containing one single Geemer, a classic Metroid enemy.
- Several tracks are reused from previous games, including Meta Ridley's theme and the Chozo Ghost theme, which appears at one point when you fight Phazon Metroids. However, the space pirate theme has been different in all three games.
- The Bryyo Ice theme is a subtle remix of the Phendrana Drifts theme.
- When you first get the PED suit, if you shoot at the woman in the room several times, a turret will instantly kill you.
- In the very first room of the GFS Olympus, you can play target practice and earn tokens.
- Scan Samus' ship when you enter Phaaze. it'll say that it no longer recognises Samus due to her corruption.
- Their are corrupted Ing within Phaaze.
- Get 100% and an unknown ship will appear and follow Samus in the ending.
And my favourite:
- You can see the outer shell of Metroid Prime in the last room in the game before you fight dark Samus. Awesome, awesome fanservice.

Thoughts

It's the real enigma of the trilogy, i would say. Metroid Prime brought the series into 3D in a spectacular way. I myself was a huge sceptic of whether Retro could do it, but they did. Damn well too. Echoes for some was a disappointment, but i feel it was an improvement in many ways from the original (and also, in some ways, a step back). Metroid Prime 3, like the other two titles, is unique. I've always believed that all three titles in the trilogy are quite different. Corruption streamlines things, and for the most part this is a positive change. It greatly improves the pacing, eliminating needless backtracking and removing some of the tedious exploration that made Echoes a pain, particularly during its infamous fetch quest.

However, it would be lying if i said that Corruption isn't slightly dumbed down. The puzzles are easier. The battles, whilst a lot more interactive, are easier. Items are much easier to find, and the game is overall quite a bit shorter than the other two games. However, when I look back on it, I firmly believe i had the most fun with Corruption. It's probably the best paced game i have played since Resident Evil 4, and that is a massive thing to say. There's barely ever a dull moment, and it's this essence that reminds me so much of Super Metroid. Whereas at times in Prime and Echoes i felt like i was plodding along, I always felt like i was at the right place at the right time in Corruption. It flows so well that you often do not realise how truly genius the folks at Retro are.

Not to be forgotten are the sublime controls. Wow. Retro really benefited from the extra time they were given to ensure that Corruption proved the Wii can controls well for first-person games, because it controls incredibly well. Though Samus may turn too slow for my liking, it's incredibly smooth and makes exploring even more fun than before. The context-sensitive parts of the game are at the very least sufficient, and in some cases (such as the train controls in the Pirate Homeworld) great fun. The grapple beam controls are also fantastic, though overused as the game wears on.

That's not to say i don't have my fair share of criticisms. Aside from the ones mentioned before, I also have to point out the near-uselessness of too many items. Grapple voltage? Ship missiles? Hyper Grapple? Yeah, there was too much stuff that was used only a couple of items and otherwise completely disregarded. The soundtrack is also a step back in quality from Prime's too, which was a disappointment. That's not to say it wasn't good, as there was a few gems within a pretty solid audio package, but it was definitely outclassed by Nintendo's other major effort in 2007, Super Mario Galaxy.

Furthermore, as good as some of the bosses were (Meta Ridley was amazing. Rundus, Helios and Gandrayda also come to mind), there just wasn't enough variety. There was too much "hit weak spot, stun then, grapple, now shoot, then repeat". That doesn't mean they weren't great fun - they were - but i expected more. And the fact they were often too easy doesn't help.

That said, Corruption truly excels in atmosphere and art direction. Whoo boy. It's not just the visuals (which are mighty fine, might i add, and prove that Wii games can look good if developers know what they're doing), but the ability of Retro to just nail every environment they create. When you're done with Corruption, you can remember nearly every single individual room because of how iconic they were. The geometry and attention to deal puts almost all other developers to shame. Indeed, the only area i can criticise is Skytown, which, whilst being an absolutely stunning and surreal environment, is far too repetitive. But overall, it's the pinnacle in the franchise in terms of art direction. And the atmosphere. Holy shit. Just enter Valhalla and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Is Corruption all that it could have been? No. A lame final boss and ending, some misused and useless upgrades, and some repetitive game mechanics prevent it from being a true classic. But overall, i believe it stands toe to toe with the other Metroid Prime games, and that in itself is one hell of an achievement. It may not be the definitive Prime game, but it certainly is the most fun, and in the end, that's what matters the most.

I highly suggest you give the game a replay. I recently played the game for the second time and it made me realise that when you surf GAF often, negativity can hurt your memories of a game. I was pleasantly assured, upon replaying Corruption, that my love for the game was not unfounded, but completely justified.

But enough of what I think. What about you? Share your thoughts on the game, both positive and negative. Also feel free to post art, music, anything from the game.

Avrum

- Use the X-Ray Visor on Metroid Hatchers for an insta-kill.
- When you first get the PED suit, if you shoot at the woman in the room several times, a turret will instantly kill you.
- You can see the outer shell of Metroid Prime in the last room in the game before you fight dark Samus. Awesome, awesome fanservice.

I did not know this, I heard about the Metroid Prime outer shell thing and even played my save file throughout phaaze but couldn't find it. And holy crap, didn't even notice any corrupted Ing, I definitely need to play through it again and see what I'm missing.

Anyway, I liked MP3 a lot and there aren't many faults I find with it, at least compared to most Metroid purists out there. The only real problem I had is that the worlds felt somewhat disconnected, but I guess that is more a consequence of allowing you to explore different planets. The areas you could explore on each planet itself were connected of course (Save for Bryyo where the jungle wasn't connected at all with the other areas, unless I'm mistaken) but I definitelyu missed the sense of exploration you got with Tallon IV and Aether from the previous two games.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm extremely sorry to say that I never finished this game. I got tired of the
fetch quest at the end.

Loved the game besides that. Really, really great art and great controls and gameplay.

Eric_S

I loved it to bits. Byrro, Sky town, Phaze and the Pirate homeworld, while not as immersive as Torvus bog MP3's enviroments really stirred my imagination in a way that no other Metroid enviroment had done before.

The music was excelent as usual in a Metroid title (<3 <3 <3), and I found the combat to be fun albeit I'd like some meatier boss battles.

The letdown of it was that I'd like some sort of a middle world just before landing on Phaze, where the "mother hen" Aurora units couldn't spoiler everything for you, a world where you really feel isolated from everyone and your free to puzzle solve / explore / secuence break in a more old school metroid fashion (and perhaps they could have fitted one or two of those meatier boss battles here).

But all in all a really fantastic game.

jjasper

Positives:
controls
putting the grappling beam to more use
one hit kills on the hatchers
Fixing the fetch quest that had plagued the series

Negatives:
Pretty much everything else

Duderz

Banned
This game pretty much proved to me that the Metroid franchise not only needs to take a break, but needs to be given to a new team / needs an overhaul. Retro did a fine job with the Metroid Prime games, but this one felt sort of "been there, done that" for me. I wasn't excited for this one hardly at all, and even during the game, I felt that the direction it took in many ways was an annoyance (hunters? dialogue in general?).

Great game, but now let's see if the franchise can be done in a third person mode, or go back to its roots.

[Nintex] said:
Amazing game, where did you find these screenshots? They're alot better than Nintendo's own or IGN's.

IGN Guides.

They're the only pics i could find that can come close to giving the game's visuals some credit, but the game truly looks best when seen first-hand.

I did not know this, I heard about the Metroid Prime outer shell thing and even played my save file throughout phaaze but couldn't find it. And holy crap, didn't even notice any corrupted Ing, I definitely need to play through it again and see what I'm missing.

The ing are actually inglets, but as well know they would have become ing warriors had they been given more time.

The outer shell (husk) is in that room where you shoot at the baby leviathan. It's in a corner and it's best to scan it since that room is pretty dark.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Don't have time to write too much but this was definitely one of my favourite games of this gen. I remember being so immersed in the game that I ended up playing it three times in succession. I can't really think of any significant negatives as the game was just so incredibly polished. First off, the control scheme was perfect (as long as you set it to expert), precise yet immersive (ripping of shields and parts off of enemies was great). Secondly, the art direction was stunning especially in Skytown, and Valhalla (holy cow). The level of detail in everything far exceeds most titles these days.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
_Alkaline_ said:

was? pictures or didn't happen.

tim1138

Absolutely loved this game, it's actually the only Prime game I've completed. I own and have played the first two but the pacing always felt a bit off and bit too slow to me, but like you said, Corruption just nails it--particularly the fetch quest which you can pretty much complete as you normally progress through the game. To date this is one of my favorite games this gen.

Linkhero1

I still haven't finished the game. I think I'm about 70% done with it. I am going to play it this week and try to finish it, but the thing is I don't remember where I was last. :lol

blu

_Alkaline_ said:
I'm speaking of the inglets in Phaaze. I'd have to play through the whole game again if you want pics. :lol
you're not speaking of the hopper metroids by any chance, are you?

Loved it as well, for me it's the best in the series. I was sceptic because the beginning is rather action and dialogue heavy but that makes the later parts even better when you venture further and further.

Controls work like a charm. Gfx are really nice as well, I like the subtle use of bloom and of course the architecture. Haven't finished it in hypermode, I'll definetly do if I ever get through my backlog.

Oozer3993

LOVE this game. Bought it the day it came out and beat a couple days later. I immediately went back into it and started playing it again. The controls are so smooth and the artists out did themselves again. It's the forgotten classic of 2007. With so many great games in one year, one was bound to get lost.

One of my roommates was playing through Metroid Prime 1 at the time, another through the original Metroid and I picked up Metroid: Zero Mission soon after (and beat it twice in 24 hours). It was a very Metroid crazy month at our place.

tim1138 said:
Absolutely loved this game, it's actually the only Prime game I've completed.

Ditto for me. I played through most of Prime 1 but got drawn away by something else and never got around to picking up Echoes.

Blu, in case you were wondering, they're called Phaz-Ing.

The logbook says:

Phaz-Ing bodies are weak to physical stress and can be easily pulled apart.
These morphing blobs of Phazon often prefer to stay in puddle form and will
only shift out to attack. Their ability to move over all types of terrain
allows them to position themselves at a distance before assaulting with bursts
of Phazon energy.

jjasper

_Alkaline_ said:
When you're done with Corruption, you can remember nearly every single individual room because of how iconic they were

I am pretty sure this is because outside of Bryyo every single room on each planet looks the same (esp. Elysia) so you see it so often it is hard to forget.

ivysaur12

Banned
I love this game, and I'm still pissed Nintendo didn't market it.

Beautiful game, played wonderfully, controlled great, and was a really seamless experience.

Being able to know where you needed to do something not only made it the first Metroid Prime I actually beat (I went back and beat them afterwards, I had saves right before the final boss), but the only Prime I beat 100%. It's THAT good.

One thing I really enjoyed about Corruption, although it did contribute to the worst aspect of the game (the end game world hopping fetch quest), was the space travel. It added a sense of scope that no other entry in the series had. For once Samus truely felt like an intergalatic bounty hunter. I think that change was needed because you can only re-create the same experience of exploring one world with so many disparate locations so many times before it becomes cliched and tired. The designs of the sundry worlds and locales, I thought, were pretty bloody amazing. This is the one area where I think Retro has always excelled and they really shone with the worlds they created in this game.

It's probably one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the motion controls, it felt like they added to the experience for the most part and weren't some tacked on gimmick. Those controls probably helped stave off the sensation of deja vu that Echoes kind of evoked.

That said the character interactions, most of the dialogue and the models of people were all horribly clunky or embarassing.

blu

_Alkaline_ said:
Blu, in case you were wondering, they're called Phaz-Ing.

The logbook says:

Phaz-Ing bodies are weak to physical stress and can be easily pulled apart.
These morphing blobs of Phazon often prefer to stay in puddle form and will
only shift out to attack. Their ability to move over all types of terrain
allows them to position themselves at a distance before assaulting with bursts
of Phazon energy.
yes, i remember now. frankly, never occured to me those could have relation to the ing, and apparently i skimmed over the log entry.

yes, they do appear to be a direct derivation from one of the inglet on aether. although, all those inglets were nothing more than possessed indigenous cleatures, so one can argue the outer shape there does not really define an unquestionalbe relation. oh, well, comes to show one can easilly miss a detail despute multiple playthroughs : )

ivysaur12

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
One thing I really enjoyed about Corruption, although it did contribute to the worst aspect of the game (the end game world hopping fetch quest), was the space travel. It added a sense of scope that no other entry in the series had. For once Samus truely felt like an intergalatic bounty hunter. I think that change was needed because you can only re-create the same experience of exploring one world with so many disparate locations so many times before it becomes cliched and tired. The designs of the sundry worlds and locales, I thought, were pretty bloody amazing. This is the one area where I think Retro has always excelled and they really shone with the worlds they created in this game.

It's probably one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the motion controls, it felt like they added to the experience for the most part and weren't some tacked on gimmick. Those controls probably helped stave off the sensation of deja vu that Echoes kind of evoked.

That said the character interactions, most of the dialogue and the models of people were all horribly clunky or embarassing.

Eh, the humans were pretty lame, but I thought the other bounty hunters were done really well. Especially Gandrayda.

Haven't finished yet (don't worry i don't care for spoilers). Never had the motivation, the bosses were bad, I liked the retro thing but they weren't balanced very well.. same for the combat, too easy with hypermode and impossible without at times.

I appreciate the direction they took it, but it didn't feel very cohesive or like an adventure to me.

I already trolled the official thread plenty when I was playing it so I won't go any further into my criticisms.. I might get around to finishing it one day, I just finished the pirate homeworld and the star fleet is getting ready to go into the final boss area.

Christine

blu said:
yes, i remember now. frankly, never occured to me those could have relation to the ing, and apparently i skimmed over the log entry.

yes, they do appear to be a direct derivation from one of the inglet on aether. although, all those inglets were nothing more than possessed indigenous cleatures, so one can argue the outer shape there does not really define an unquestionalbe relation. oh, well, comes to show one can easilly miss a detail despute multiple playthroughs : )

Actually, the inglets were not possessed indigenous creatures - they're an amorphous blob of pure ing-stuff until they extrude a tentacle. My best guess if you want a 'canonical' explanation for the similarity is that the Ing are actually a form of Phazon life - the reason for the drastic differences between the two comes from the Luminoth's attempts to stop or divert the Leviathan meteor striking Aether. Trapped in the alternate space of Dark Aether, the normal course of Phazon biology couldn't occur so it instead expressed itself as the Ing.

Great game. Speaking of it, I really need to start replaying it soon. My only major fault with the game was the bosses were not quite up to standard, compared to the first two.

Another thing, I was largely disappointed that there wasn't a final suit upgrade. Due to the amazing one you had in Echoes, I was expecting something similar.

ksamedi

Definitly the best in the Metroid series. Although Super Metroid and Metroid 2 were kind of amazing for its time as well.

Vinci

Danish
Armitage said:
Loved 1, enjoyed 2, bought 3 but haven't started it yet. I should probably get to it, huh?

Best game in the series, IMO.

Hell, if SMG didn't exist, it'd be the best game on the Wii.

kinosama

Neo Member
Absolutely loved this game. Worthy conclusion to the excellent Phazon trilogy.

I didn't personally feel the game was dumbed down. I agree it felt more streamlined, and the difficulty was not as high as in Echoes, but this is definitely not a game for Mii Artisans. I also remember getting stuck for a couple days on a puzzle near the end of the game (you had to use the ship's grappling hook to lift a generator and drop it on something, I'm not sure).

This also has the best first person controls in any console game. I can't for the life of me figure out why the Wii isn't home to more quality shooters, with controls like these!

mikew3st

I don't want to start a new thread for this, but is it worth it buying Metroid Prime on the Gamecube for 6 dollars?

Vinci

Danish
mikew3st said:
I don't want to start a new thread for this, but is it worth it buying Metroid Prime on the Gamecube for 6 dollars?

That's not a question. OF COURSE, DAMN IT!

jjasper

I actually think the difficult is fine. Although it makes everything outside of hypermode pretty much worthless.

kinosama said:
Worthy conclusion to the excellent Phazon trilogy.

I completely disagree with this. For all the build up to the final show down with Dark Samus the final fight was severely lacking. It is a big part of the reason why I think it is the worst of the Prime games.

mikew3st said:
Yes
jjasper said:
I completely disagree with this. For all the build up to the final show down with Dark Samus the final fight was severely lacking. I think that is a big part of the reason why I think it is the worst of the Prime games.
I won't disagree there. The final fight was quite lacking and anticlimactic.

As a big fan of Prime 2 I was extremely disappointed by the direction taken by Prime 3, up to this day I still have no idea what Retro Studios was aiming to do. The game is lost between Metroid and more conventional linear FPS without succeeding in any categories. And I still don't know what to think about the phazon system.

At least they've made 3 awesome games each with their own personality and seeing how much hate Prime 2 gathered I can understand that they didn't go farther in that direction, but they didn't need to make an insanely linear game, for me the only thing relevant to Metroid in this game is the name.

Even the design disappointed me, I really don't see the appeal of Bryyo or the Space Pirate planet, and WTF were they thinking when they designed the other hunters? I can understand shitty hunter in Metroid Prime Hunters which was made by NSTC, but here it's Retro Studio and the artistic direction of Prime 1 and 2 are phenomenal.

Another thing that really pissed me off was the hint system at the end, I activated a mechanism that revealed all of the upgrade in the map, while it's a pretty nice feature, I would have liked to be warned of such a thing I like to go back to the levels at the end of the game looking for the stuff I missed, especially in this very linear Metroid, and the few exploration I could have had, they took it away :(

The combat was pretty good thanks to the new Wiimote controls, but the lack of different visor and the lack of creativity of the bosses made it really repetitive and lacking. It's not that the fights in Prime 1 and 2 where fantastic, but they were more varied and challenging. Everything is toned down here, even the puzzles and the morphing ball sections have been watered down.

I don't think I've ever been this disappointed with any other game (and I'm a gamer since the NES days), Prime 1 and 2 are some of my favourite game ever, and 3 is a step back in every feature that made me love those games :(

MoxManiac

RockmanWhore said:
As a big fan of Prime 2 I was extremely disappointed by the direction taken by Prime 3, up to this day I still have no idea what Retro Studios was aiming to do. The game is lost between Metroid and more conventional linear FPS without succeeding in any categories. And I still don't know what to think about the phazon system.

At least they've made 3 awesome games each with their own personality and seeing how much hate Prime 2 gathered I can understand that they didn't go farther in that direction, but they didn't need to make an insanely linear game, for me the only thing relevant to Metroid in this game is the name.

Even the design disappointed me, I really don't see the appeal of Bryyo or the Space Pirate planet, and WTF were they thinking when they designed the other hunters? I can understand shitty hunter in Metroid Prime Hunters which was made by NSTC, but here it's Retro Studio and the artistic direction of Prime 1 and 2 are phenomenal.

Another thing that really pissed me off was the hint system at the end, I activated a mechanism that revealed all of the upgrade in the map, while it's a pretty nice feature, I would have liked to be warned of such a thing I like to go back to the levels at the end of the game looking for the stuff I missed, especially in this very linear Metroid, and the few exploration I could have had, they took it away :(

The combat was pretty good thanks to the new Wiimote controls, but the lack of different visor and the lack of creativity of the bosses made it really repetitive and lacking. It's not that the fights in Prime 1 and 2 where fantastic, but they were more varied and challenging. Everything is toned down here, even the puzzles and the morphing ball sections have been watered down.

I don't think I've ever been this disappointed with any other game (and I'm a gamer since the NES days), Prime 1 and 2 are some of my favourite game ever, and 3 is a step back in every feature that made me love those games :(

Wow, complete 100% agreement on every point.

jibblypop

Banned
I love this game! It didn't have the perfect atmosphere that part 1 had but the gameplay definitely felt tighter.
Also I didnt like part 2 that much so I was glad to have one more metroid prime game to enjoy just like I enjoyed the first one.

man, i'm glad i saw this thread. I bought it when it came out and can't beat the boss for The Seed. Lately I've been wanting to pop it back in, i think this thread might've been the inspiration I needed.

Top Bottom