• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light Reviews Thread | Update DLC for $5

Dennis

Banned
Really good reviews.

Color me surprised.

Usually smaller European games like this don't get a fair break so this must be a super game!

Really good reviews.

Color me surprised.

Usually smaller European games like this don't get a fair break so this must be a super game!

Did you like the first game a lot Dennis? I forget...

I was a really huge fan of the first game... and really could care less how this game plays when played on normal or hard (so a lot of the reviews do not have a large baring on my opinion). Ranger is the only way.

I can imagine they made this game much easier on the normal setting to capture the nubs,

Is it weird id be less worried about this games quality if it was getting worse reviews?
It just seems weird to me now that a post apocalyptic shooter from Ukraine should be getting above a 6. Almsot makes me worry its going to be too mainstream and lose some of the jankiness that gave stalker and metro part of their charm :lol

scitek

My internet went out in the middle of me posting that last post, so I apologize for the DP.

I'm interested in trying this game, but I think I may actually rent it on the PS3 instead of buying the PC version just because charging for Ranger Mode on PC really rubs me the wrong way.

Dennis

Banned
Did you like the first game a lot Dennis? I forget...

I was a really huge fan of the first game... and really could care less how this game plays when played on normal or hard (so a lot of the reviews do not have a large baring on my opinion). Ranger is the only way.

I can imagine they made this game much easier on the normal setting to capture the nubs,

I liked the graphics, atmosphere and the fights against some of the human opponents rank among the best in any FPS I have ever played.

I was not fond of the monster combat and the game as a whole was hit and miss.

And they I got super pissed off when halfway through they released the Ranger mode which was way superior and should have been included at release.

I am going to play Last Light in Ranger mode or not at all.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Reviews fully caught up, let me know if you spot any that I haven't added to the OP yet. If you're one of the guys who wrote for these smaller sites let me know if you want credit and I'll be sure to update the OP with a pointer.

Cool reviews!

For consoles, did they refine the slowdown or choppy animation issues in the first one when you fought outdoors?

I know PC version is great though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
well very nice scores, I still need impressions from fans of the game

the PC version really is not appealing at me right now with all of it's problems so yeah I guess I'm waiting for fans/gaffers impressions before I do anything.

Thoraxes

But if you also want tits, QTEs and hand-holding companions, then congratulations - you're part of the wider audience this game is looking for.

QNdvLGw.gif

Ice cold.

The host of our servers featured a rather poorly timed botattack but it seems the site is back up

Awesomeoutof10

4A Games has taken quite the risk with Metro: Last Light. It should be commended by fulfilling its promise to provide a more polished, stable experience (I encountered a grand total of two bugs, and no crashes), but the drastic shift from survival to action will certainly upset some fans of the original. That challenging experience still exists within the Ranger Mode, but this is only available to those who preordered or purchased the special edition version of the game, thus I won’t judge it based on that. Instead, I experienced the game as most people will, on normal difficulty, and it’s something of a breeze, to be honest.

Still, it’s a high calibre first-person shooter, and I enjoyed my time in the metro just a tiny bit more this time around. Would I have preferred more risk and desperation? Of course. And will I be replaying it with Ranger Mode? Inevitably. But, for now, I’m more than content with my journey through Moscow’s underground. Like its older sibling, it stands out from other examples of the genre, and I think there’s something to be said for its avoidance of the familiar and 4A’s attempt to craft something new, again.
Claustrophobic/10

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
"Tense střelba a inteligentní svět struktura zklamaly matoucí pohlaví mini-hry a nečekané Ellen DeGeneres Show svázat palce. 9.001/10"
- EatChildren.cz

I was expecting a poor set of reviews. I braced myself for the worst wishing for the best. I'm really glad the game was well received. Just over an hour to play :D

Woah, I didn't write the A/10 review. It was just published at the site I stream for and have acted as part of the community for several years. Thanks for putting it up though :D

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Woah, I didn't write the A/10 review. It was just published at the site I stream for and have acted as part of the community for several years. Thanks for putting it up though :D

My bad, was playing a game when I saw it get put up so I was half distracted while I was entering it into the OP. Names changed to protect the innocent.

Wow.. I usually like Rev3Games' Youtube stuff but I'm shocked by their Last Light review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...F579F5E074F&src_vid=KboXEbGcENU&v=sH1iykYukNg

Why is she defending the game so much and talking about it in such exhalted ways? It just looks like a hot scripted mess. :( I'm not trying to troll, was honestly excited about this game because of the subject matter and Stalker legacy.. but I just can't get over how on-rails it feels.

I'll watch the Giant Bomb's quicklook for a better idea.

x-Lundz-x

Rev 3 Games review - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH1iykYukNg

Astounding level of detail
Highly immersive atmosphere
Top-notch visuals and production

DISLIKES:
Enemy AI can be too forgiving
A few bugs and glitches

SCORE: 4 out of 5

Tara also mentioned disliking that the Ranger mode was $5 dlc

I love rev3, best site out there for reviews. I know they all can't be as good as the Sess, but I wish Tara's reviews didn't sound so....scripted. It just seems like she is reading a script off a piece of paper rather than sharing her thoughts on the game. However, great review and I can't wait to play this this week!

Bring on Ranger mode!

Speaking of that how come the press could not play ranger mode. Press copies did not have this??

Despite the reviews, I'm not at all impressed from the videos I've been seeing. I think I'll wait on this until some people post impressions.

I love rev3, best site out there for reviews. I know they all can't be as good as the Sess, but I wish Tara's reviews didn't sound so....scripted. It just seems like she is reading a script off a piece of paper rather than sharing her thoughts on the game. However, great review and I can't wait to play this this week!

Bring on Ranger mode!

Speaking of that how come the press could not play ranger mode. Press copies did not have this??

From what I understand, and what the writer of the review for A/10 did, was they didn't play on Ranger/Ranger Hardcore for the review given it was dlc. Only played on the difficulties included for everyone which seems respectable enough. Dtoid also specifically mentioned this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
\Why is she defending the game so much and talking about it in such exhalted ways? It just looks like a hot scripted mess. :( I'm not trying to troll, was honestly excited about this game because of the subject matter and Stalker legacy.. but I just can't get over how on-rails it feels.

Did you play Metro 2033? Because it really wasn't anything like STALKER. The quasi-open world emergent gameplay was nowhere to be found. It was very linear, and had plenty of scripted moments. I've always found it funny when people moan about how modern Call of Duty succumbs to follow/wait-for-NPC game design, when Metro 2033 had a ton of moments just like that.

x-Lundz-x

Ahh I gotcha, she made it sound like she did not have access to it but that makes sense since technically it's considered DLC. Still glad that the game is getting mostly solid reviews, I hope it sells well.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for rounding up the reviews, CheesecakeRecipe. I'll read through them once I've beaten the game.

Did you play Metro 2033? Because it really wasn't anything like STALKER. The quasi-open world emergent gameplay was nowhere to be found. It was very linear, and had plenty of scripted moments. I've always found it funny when people moan about how modern Call of Duty succumbs to follow/wait-for-NPC game design, when Metro 2033 had a ton of moments just like that.

Yeah I have Metro 2033 on Steam, to be honest I knew Last Light was going to go in the same direction, but I'm constantly surprised by how badly I react to game design like this. I tried to give it a chance which is why I was curious for the reviews and playthroughs.. but just like Bioshock Infinite, it seems like I have a huge disconnect with the hype and reception for these games, and my own enjoyment of them.

I am tremendously inspired by the setting and art of this game, but it just isn't for me. :/

Eusis

Yeah I have Metro 2033 on Steam, to be honest I knew Last Light was going to go in the same direction, but I'm constantly surprised by how badly I react to game design like this. I tried to give it a chance which is why I was curious for the reviews and playthroughs.. but just like Bioshock Infinite, it seems like I have a huge disconnect with the hype and reception for these games, and my own enjoyment of them.

I am tremendously inspired by the setting and art of this game, but it just isn't for me. :/
So it's safe to assume Metro 2033's less Bioshock in that regard and more Bioshock Infinite then? Not surprising, but kinda disappointing for if I ever bothered to seriously play it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I just put this in...it seems a lot brighter than the first game. Like it's brighter period, but things seem cleaner and stuff. Just find that surprising.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just put this in...it seems a lot brighter than the first game. Like it's brighter period, but things seem cleaner and stuff. Just find that surprising.

I put my brightness slider a tad bit lower than normal to compensate but yeah, it isn't as darkly lit as 2033 was. Still some pretty great soft light though.

Man, i'm surprised we still have no Wot I Think from RPS yet.

Vagabundo

The first one was claustrophobically linear. I just couldn't stick it past the 2 hour mark.

I usually love post apocalyptic settings. I think the narrator put me off. Let me explore the place and interact.

I'm not sure if they've fixed all that.

Top Bottom