• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light Reviews Thread | Update DLC for $5

Man...I had no idea they were doing this to Metro :[ First one was so distinct compared to all other fps games in the market right now. Pretty bummed. I'll get it once its 10 bucks on steam or something I guess. Hope the audience that they're looking for now actually buys the game.

Dead Space and Metro down. What is left ; ;

KorrZ

I ain't even mad - the first game didn't exactly review amazingly...probably for the opposite reasons (not hand-holdy AAA enough).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Man...I had no idea they were doing this to Metro :[ First one was so distinct compared to all other fps games in the market right now. Pretty bummed. I'll get it once its 10 bucks on steam or something I guess. Hope the audience that they're looking for now actually buys the game.

Dead Space and Metro down. What is left ; ;

I think people are taking this wayyyy too far. The game is a very good game, nowhere near the bailout Dead Space 3 or even RE6 provided. Maybe it lost a bit of character by broadening the scope, but it's still one hell of a ride.

AHA-Lambda

Just finished reading the eurogamer review

Metro: Last Light is not a bad game, but nor is it a good one in quite the same sense as its predecessor. Metro 2033 was flawed but trying to do its own thing. If anything, Last Light feels like a regression. Similarities abound, but this is a more conservative FPS, one looking at the competition rather than itself, and one with some terrible missteps. So go in with low expectations, and you might be pleasantly surprised. Not the highest praise, is it?

Also from the vg247 impressions piece

http://www.vg247.com/2013/05/13/metro-last-light-doesnt-treat-you-like-a-moron/

Alongside BioShock: Infinite, this – to me personally – deserves a place as one of the best-written shooters of the generation. The streamlined core gameplay is, sadly, cause for another debate entirely. But then again I’m yet to finish the game, so maybe this is something worth returning to once I’ve beaten it?

Deadbeat

Banned
Metro: Last Light is not a bad game, but nor is it a good one in quite the same sense as its predecessor. Metro 2033 was flawed but trying to do its own thing. If anything, Last Light feels like a regression. Similarities abound, but this is a more conservative FPS, one looking at the competition rather than itself, and one with some terrible missteps. So go in with low expectations, and you might be pleasantly surprised. Not the highest praise, is it?
This is why I dont preorder anymore.

sixghost

That Eurogamer review is scathing.

I eventually beat
Big Momma
when she got stuck in an AI loop next to a wall and stopped attacking, at which point I fearlessly approached and stabbed her in the face about 200 times. It was probably 10 minutes, but it felt like three hours, and of course as she collapsed I was rewarded with an achievement. At this point, Metro: Last Light joined a very exclusive club of games that have made me think about what I'm doing with my life.

I think people are taking this wayyyy too far. The game is a very good game, nowhere near the bailout Dead Space 3 or even RE6 provided. Maybe it lost a bit of character by broadening the scope, but it's still one hell of a ride.

I'm sure it is. I love the world the game takes place in and the story of the original but I also rented RE5 and just played through the story and gave it back in just because I enjoy the RE universe. No way I was buying that game. I'll buy it for sure once its cheaper but I kinda don't feel like supporting the game for what it has changed. I'm sure it doesn't have that same atmospheric feel as the original. And that was my favorite thing about the first game.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Got most of the reviews posted so far, big thanks to LiquidMetal14 and iNvid02 for helping me catch most of the ones I didn't copy over from the previous topic.

If someone wants to be a doll, if you speak the native language of a non-english review I would really love it if you could give me a more natural translation of their wrap-ups than what the google machine spews out at me.

Totalbiscuit didn't do a review so much as a first impressions video. He seems to be loving it so far. He rails against a few things early on but at the end, he said it's his favorite shooter so far this year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWimz-duun8

So that's worth a watch if you value his opinion at all (I know a lot of people don't).

FGMPR

Banned
This would of likely have been STALKER 2's fate also. I have a bad feeling that STALKER SoC+CoP, Metro 2033 and Cryostasis were gems in a mini golden age of Russian/Ukrainian first-person shooters that we may never see again. It's depressing seeing classic FPS after classic FPS become tainted in this manner.

Still, I'll try and hold out hope that Ranger Mode does its job and significantly improves the experience when I get to play tomorrow.

I agree.

It doesn't look anywhere near as lame as those two.

I'll stick pick this up definitely.

Phawx

Nah, 1 would be CoD. Last Light at least has some bigger rooms and environments that allow you to circle the enemies and devise a combat solution (or do stealth).

I'm not going to disagree with you because I feel the same way. To my defense I was taking the linearity from a vertical standpoint with very few diverging paths.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So... the way to make the game good is through buying a DLC? Wtf :\

No, the game is fantastic without ranger mode. The way to make the game harder is through acquiring a first run copy or the DLC (which I agree is dumb). Should it have been in the game? Yes, 100%. Is the game bad without ranger mode? Not in the slightest.

Kallor

So... the way to make the game good is through buying a DLC? Wtf :\

If you buy the game 3 months from now when it will be selling for $10-$20, yeah, you might have to buy ranger mode. And you'll probably get that for less than a dollar by then.

This would of likely have been STALKER 2's fate also. I have a bad feeling that STALKER SoC+CoP, Metro 2033 and Cryostasis were gems in a mini golden age of Russian/Ukrainian first-person shooters that we may never see again. It's depressing seeing classic FPS after classic FPS become tainted in this manner.

Still, I'll try and hold out hope that Ranger Mode does its job and significantly improves the experience when I get to play tomorrow.

STALKER 2! Now with recharging health, huge scripted sequences, explosion fests, and much more!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, I thought that was for the console versions. Guess I won't be buying this game at any point, then.

It ought to be free, really, though I suppose it having a price attached should come as no surprise considering it's an LE item... but even so, $5 for what's essentially a difficulty level is a bit rich.

scitek

It ought to be free, really, though I suppose it having a price attached should come as no surprise considering it's an LE item... but even so, $5 for what's essentially a difficulty level is a bit rich.

That, and if I ever bought the game, it'd likely be around $5, and the DLC would literally cost as much.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also

5-10-2013_01.jpg

PJFJosh

Thanks, sounds good!
Is there any replay value?
Chapter select?

;)

Chapter select, yes

There are a few points in the game where you make a decision one way or the other. Not sure how that factors into the later game or ending because I had very little time to get through it before the embargo lifted.

I do want to go back and try to get through with stealth and as little killing as possible so yeah, I think there's replay value there.

Eusis

I like eurogamer's review (that's a new one).

Guess it got triple A'd into the ground.
I do wonder how much it is that most game journalists are becoming a very specific niche that they can reliably hit on and do well with, it'd explain why the 7/10s are going "meh, this is a typical shooter" whereas the 9/10s seem to be praising it as a cinematic shooter.

scitek

I do wonder how much it is that most game journalists are becoming a very specific niche that they can reliably hit on and do well with, it'd explain why the 7/10s are going "meh, this is a typical shooter" whereas the 9/10s seem to be praising it as a cinematic shooter.

The lower scores seem in line with how I've always thought. I've thought these types of shooters were 7s and 8s at best since they were introduced, which is fine, but they're generally pretty forgettable.

Eusis

The lower scores seem in line with how I've always thought. I've thought these types of shooters were 7s and 8s at best since they were introduced, which is fine, but they're generally pretty forgettable.
Yeah, but I guess they hit the right notes for ENOUGH game journalists so they end up being listened to and focused on, when really it's probably a bad idea, even the biggest cinematic shooter is more renown for its multiplayer.

Not sure if I'm worried or not, still feel that at times Metro 2033 could be a very cinematic shooter and I'm wondering if people are confusing its quieter moments as the whole. Plus Ranger mode was something that came out as dlc(the key being free dlc on pc, only charged on 360 because Microsoft let them) and wasn't how the game felt originally.

The site I stream for has a review, but in a fit of unbelievably bad timing the server went down shortly after publishing. Will link it upon the site returning.

Top Bottom