• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legends 2 OT - Return of the Blue Bomber

I just died for the first time because I fell into the fire like an idiot and then got touched ONCE by a Reaverbot.

Well, shit.

I nearly died because of that. It was the room with the chicken reaverbots. Annoying as hell because of the missiles they spout out and the limited space you have.

Manu

Okay, I've died like 8 times now trying to do a suicide run to that room to get the items I missed after getting the key.

The fact that the missiles knock you back EVEN WHEN THEY HIT YOUR BACK is so annoying. Ugh.

EDIT: And of course I beat it right after making this post. I'm pissed because up to this point in the game, I hadn't died once.

Calinca Ruins was pretty fun to explore. Sometimes I wish there was an expansion
on the Master and his relation to Mega Man Trigger. After all, the juxtaposition of a being who is living a perfect life as a pure human being vs. wanting to experience the joys of carbon life, however flawed it may be, is pretty damn interesting. Especially when taking the entire Mega Man canon into account.

But the real fun begins when I get up to Elysium. That dungeon is always going to remain in my favourite places to explore. Including having one of my favourite Final Bosses in gaming.

Also, 4 dungeons in and the emulation and cutscenes are still buttery smooth. Still makes me wonder what went wrong with Legends considering Legends 2 was considered to have pushed the PS1 to its limits. Especially considering how much hell the game gives when you play it on a homebrew PSP.

RK128

Calinca Ruins was pretty fun to explore. Sometimes I wish there was an expansion
on the Master and his relation to Mega Man Trigger. After all, the juxtaposition of a being who is living a perfect life as a pure human being vs. wanting to experience the joys of carbon life, however flawed it may be, is pretty damn interesting. Especially when taking the entire Mega Man canon into account.

But the real fun begins when I get up to Elysium. That dungeon is always going to remain in my favourite places to explore. Including having one of my favourite Final Bosses in gaming.

Also, 4 dungeons in and the emulation and cutscenes are still buttery smooth. Still makes me wonder what went wrong with Legends considering Legends 2 was considered to have pushed the PS1 to its limits. Especially considering how much hell the game gives when you play it on a homebrew PSP.

I suppose that the ISO put on PSN is based on an older build of Legends 1? Or maybe something in Legends 1 coding messes with Sony's official PSP emulator (which emulates PS1 content).

SMK

I suppose that the ISO put on PSN is based on an older build of Legends 1? Or maybe something in Legends 1 coding messes with Sony's official PSP emulator (which emulates PS1 content).

It's probably this.

I've always felt that the MML gameplay and world would make for a good rogue-like game

Yeah, I've always dreamed of a game like this. Especially if it had the same art style.

dlauv

3 optional ruins. B, A, and S class. Saul Kada is the water one. You're missing the B-class optional on the first key island. The Gold Phoenix farm.

That final boss was like a few notches higher in difficulty compared to the entirety of the game. Visually amazing tho. When you get the
Residential Area of Elysium
, I was getting PSO flashbacks so hard.

Fun game, intriguing story. Kind of makes me want a Legends 3 now. =[

Manu

Legends 2's story is especially interesting in that it actually affects the entire series.

It's weird to think that the distant future of this game:

latest

is the post-apocalyptic world of Legends.

Love it love it love it. Glad to have it back.

The random Servbots hiding in the Sulphur-Bottom still make me feel so sad with how scared they are.

RK128

Love it love it love it. Glad to have it back.

The random Servbots hiding in the Sulphur-Bottom still make me feel so sad with how scared they are.

Just got to that part in he game when I'm on the Sulpur-Bottom for the first time and I feel bad for the guys :(. They are lost but they don't want to upset anybody.

I'm so conflicted between going all out and maxing out all the special weapons (including the shining laser) vs. finishing up the second half of Elysium and fighting Sera.

Just finished the game.

Man I love the final boss battle, it's up there as some of the best I've ever played. And much much better than the fight against Mega Man Juno.

sn00zer

Controls much better than the first game, but not liking it as much. I think it has more to do with the anime cartoon episodes feel its going for, which has just been done much better since that it just feels outdated.

The series as a whole feels so close to greatness. Would love a modern game with a similar artstyle and tone. Go low poly and just blow it out in number of on screen stuff you can have.

RK128

Controls much better than the first game, but not liking it as much. I think it has more to do with the anime cartoon episodes feel its going for, which has just been done much better since that it just feels outdated.

The series as a whole feels so close to greatness. Would love a modern game with a similar artstyle and tone. Go low poly and just blow it out in number of on screen stuff you can have.

A serious answer to this would be Lost Planet: EX Troopers on PS3 and Nintendo 3DS. That game was built off using technology that was going to power Legends 3 on 3DS, but considering that was scrapped, they re-used a lot of stuff made for Legends 3 and made it into a game using the Lost Planet IP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTN3lt81GzY&nohtml5=False (Gameplay Starts at 6:31).

A serious answer to this would be Lost Planet: EX Troopers on PS3 and Nintendo 3DS. That game was built off using technology that was going to power Legends 3 on 3DS, but considering that was scrapped, they re-used a lot of stuff made for Legends 3 and made it into a game using the Lost Planet IP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTN3lt81GzY&nohtml5=False (Gameplay Starts at 6:31).

'best part' is that undoubtedly MML3 would have sold better than a shitty spinoff that had nothing really to do with Lost Planet...

RK128

'best part' is that undoubtedly MML3 would have sold better than a shitty spinoff that had nothing really to do with Lost Planet...

Yep :(. But Capcom likely wanted to wash their hands of the Mega Man IP after Inafune burned so many bridges with the company.

I personally really think he is the reason for all four Mega Man Projects getting scrapped (MMX shooter, Legends 3, Mega Man Unlimited, Mega Man Online), as due to having so many games in production and the Mega Man games selling less & less (plus a lot of the money issues they are facing right now are because of him, with western takes on Capcom IP not doing well sales wise and it WAS his idea) they had to cut the cord sometime.

So, it lead to ALL four getting scrapped. Logically, I would of salvaged Legends 3 as a multiplatform console game releasing close to the end of the console generation of that time (PS3/360/Wii) and released Unlimited when it was supposed to come out.

SerTapTap

What is the trick to the shield assholes in the S License thing? The lift is HORRIBLE and only works about 1/4th of the time tops, and if they hit you with their poison-thrower thing even once that's basically a loss right there. I Wouldn't mind if the first two were the only ones, but I'm stuck in the later room with 2 of them and lots of explody guys.

The lifter is awful. I can't believe they implemented it and left it with such bad detection. On some enemies it works perfectly (the skirt things), on the shield guys it's almost never. There was even a boss fight you're required to use it in and it doesn't seem to always work

It's also kind of rude how enemies have very long invincibility frames when Mega Man has none in most cases.

RK128

What is the trick to the shield assholes in the S License thing? The lift is HORRIBLE and only works about 1/4th of the time tops, and if they hit you with their poison-thrower thing even once that's basically a loss right there. I Wouldn't mind if the first two were the only ones, but I'm stuck in the later room with 2 of them and lots of explody guys.

The lifter is awful. I can't believe they implemented it and left it with such bad detection. On some enemies it works perfectly (the skirt things), on the shield guys it's almost never. There was even a boss fight you're required to use it in and it doesn't seem to always work

It's also kind of rude how enemies have very long invincibility frames when Mega Man has none in most cases.

They are a pest normally.....have no idea how anyone can deal with them under S-Class X(.

SerTapTap

They are a pest normally.....have no idea how anyone can deal with them under S-Class X(.

Like frankly way too many things, the homing missile deals with them handily, it knocks off the shield. I'm actually disappointed with how effective the homing missile is compared to everything else, I've never had reason to use anything but it. Of course, that's not relevant for S class though.

RK128

Like frankly way too many things, the homing missile deals with them handily, it knocks off the shield. I'm actually disappointed with how effective the homing missile is compared to everything else, I've never had reason to use anything but it. Of course, that's not relevant for S class though.

And you get it quite early in the game too XD!

Got it after hunting around the extra B-Class Dungeon prior to entering the main one :).

Skip to about the 16 minute mark for my final 'winning' run. You can do it even if the run isn't perfect. Heck, near the end I thought for sure I wasn't going to make it in time. Having your weapon disabled doesn't stop you from clearing that last room, you just have to be creative.

As for picking up enemies, are you pressing the button, or are you HOLDING the button? If you hold the button then run into them it should work every time.

This thread is making me super heavy Legends nostalgic... ~_~ More Legends 3 stuff...

http://www.gamesradar.com/exclusive-only-journalist-ever-play-mega-man-legends-3/

SerTapTap

Skip to about the 16 minute mark for my final 'winning' run. You can do it even if the run isn't perfect. Having your weapon disabled doesn't stop you from clearing that last room, you just have to be creative.

As for picking up enemies, are you pressing the button, or are you HOLDING the button? If you hold the button then run into them it should work every time.

This thread is making me super heavy Legends nostalgic... ~_~ More Legends 3 stuff...

http://www.gamesradar.com/exclusive-only-journalist-ever-play-mega-man-legends-3/

Holding the button. It DEFINITELY does not work 100% of the time with the shield guys. I almost always take damage, and then I'm getting hit by the flamethrower by the time my hitstun ends.

I'm tried running straight into them, I've tried making baby steps towards them, I've tried pressing it manually at the minimum safe distance. SImply does not seem to work anything remotely close to reliably.

Holding the button. It DEFINITELY does not work 100% of the time with the shield guys. I almost always take damage, and then I'm getting hit by the flamethrower by the time my hitstun ends.

I'm tried running straight into them, I've tried making baby steps towards them, I've tried pressing it manually at the minimum safe distance. SImply does not seem to work anything remotely close to reliably.

When are you doing it? When their shield is still up?

Shoot them til they have their shields up, get next to them, charge them while holding triangle the moment the shield drops. Check the video above, I never missed a single grab if I got in range. The only times I 'missed' where when they are right next to each other and the further one hits me before I get them picked up.

SerTapTap

When are you doing it? When their shield is still up?

Shoot them til they have their shields up, get next to them, charge them while holding triangle the moment the shield drops. Check the video above, I never missed a single grab if I got in range. The only times I 'missed' where when they are right next to each other and the further one hits me before I get them picked up.

You get hit like EVERY time by the gas like I feared...but it looks like I'm one room from the exit so I'll keep trying.

Also, is there some trick to being able to shoot them without lifting? In the last room with 2 shield guys I literally could NOT hurt them normally. I was ready to scream as I spent over a full minute waiting for their shields to go down, shooting and...blocked. Every time

You get hit like EVERY time by the gas like I feared...but it looks like I'm one room from the exit so I'll keep trying.

Also, is there some trick to being able to shoot them without lifting? In the last room with 2 shield guys I literally could NOT hurt them normally. I was ready to scream as I spent over a full minute waiting for their shields to go down, shooting and...blocked. Every time

You will not make it through if you try to shoot them. Period. This is coming from 15 years of experience playing this game. You can not power down their health fast enough even if you get past their shields, you HAVE to throw them into each other. Their hit-stun is too long, their health too high. You can't waste 30 seconds to kill each one of the... what... 5 in the S-class test.

Yes, I got hit by the gas (of the second one), but the gas does not stop you from passing. You will not get a perfect playthrough, the test is designed to test your ability to use all of the game mechanics to your advantage, and throwing is a huge part of that... especially when your weapon is disabled. Notice too that on several occasions where my weapons were either disabled, or I was in a bad position I triggered those bomb guys to explode with my body then ran out of the way.

sn00zer

Hmmm I like the art, but doesnt look open levelish, but definitely on the right track

The trick is trying to find that frame where they exit from their shield and getting prepared to attack. Though that should never be your most reliable tactic, as sometimes that wastes too much time. You're better off throwing the turtle Reaverbots at them, or grabbing one of them and then throwing it at the other.

That being said, the most reliable way to use the lifter is to hold triangle and then approach the Reaverbots. Once I used it that way, I was able to pick up things without taking damage.

Meffer

Yep :(. But Capcom likely wanted to wash their hands of the Mega Man IP after Inafune burned so many bridges with the company.

I personally really think he is the reason for all four Mega Man Projects getting scrapped (MMX shooter, Legends 3, Mega Man Unlimited, Mega Man Online), as due to having so many games in production and the Mega Man games selling less & less (plus a lot of the money issues they are facing right now are because of him, with western takes on Capcom IP not doing well sales wise and it WAS his idea) they had to cut the cord sometime.

So, it lead to ALL four getting scrapped. Logically, I would of salvaged Legends 3 as a multiplatform console game releasing close to the end of the console generation of that time (PS3/360/Wii) and released Unlimited when it was supposed to come out.
I still feel like Legends 3 can be revived. There's so much potential. It would likely come out before Mighty No. 9.

Manu

Ha, I actually have the opposite feel from it. It feels so ahead of its time that I feel I'm playing a game that did something new instead of something that's outdated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I forgot, but in the license exams they automatically equip you with specific buster parts right?

SerTapTap

Even knowing how to grab the shield guys this is fucking awful. They move like 3 inches when you throw them, way less than the range of their attack. Feels like pure RNG at this point.

dlauv

You don't have to grab the shield guys. In fact, I don't recommend it because they don't stay down long enough and the grab mechanic can be finicky and get you hit. Instead, grab the golden crabs and toss those at the shield guys. The crabs stay on their backs forever, so you'll have plenty of time to deal with the floating mine reaverbots.

The trick to shooting them is just before they attack. Once you hit them, you can hold the shoot button and they'll be stun-locked to death (most of the time).

Other than that, of course, do the rapid fire exploit on any other enemies: hold fire button and mash up on the d-pad or analog stick.

RK128

You don't have to grab the shield guys. In fact, I don't recommend it because they don't stay down long enough and the grab mechanic can be finicky and get you hit. Instead, grab the golden crabs and toss those at the shield guys.

The trick to shooting them is just before they attack. Once you hit them, you can hold the shoot button and they'll be stun-locked to death

This helps a lot, so thank you for sharing this with us :).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Legends 2's story is especially interesting in that it actually affects the entire series.

It's weird to think that the distant future of this game:

latest

is the post-apocalyptic world of Legends.
The ZX games were bridging the gap between the almost grimdark Zero series and Legends in a believable way, I think.

Manu

Yeah, I guess I'm posting my full thoughts on the game.

What can I say? It's still my favorite game. It gets to me in a way that no other game has, even after all these years. Have I played better games since then? Yeah, of course. But Legends 2 has a certain something (or rather, a combination of somethings) that makes me love it in the same way I've loved it since 2000. The gameplay, the art style, the voice acting, everything adds up to a full package so charming that I don't think other game has left an impression on me as this one has. It was amazing for its time and it's still great in 2016.

And it's funny, because as a kid I never finished it, because my faulty PS1 wouldn't read memory cards so playing this game consisted on quasi-marathons where I would play for as long as I could until I died or my parents told me to shut the console off. I only ended up beating it many years later, probably around 2006, thanks to emulators. I think I installed an emulator just so that I could play this game again.

So how does it hold up, sixteen years after release and ten years after finishing it for the first time? Exceedingly well, I think. Other than some stiff controls and slight camera issues the gameplay is terrific, and a massive improvement over the first game. The environment variety also being much better than Legends 1 really gives you the feeling of a worldwide adventure. My biggest problem with the game, if I can even call it that, is that except for one room in the Saul Kada ruins and the final Sera battle, it feels too easy on its standard difficulty. Maybe they didn't expect lock on+strafing to be so broken? I don't know. You just breeze through 90% of the game.

And yet, here I am, 27 years old and tearing up at the ending of the game because those feelings hit me like a truck. I'm still not sure why I love this game so much. I just do. I'm so happy that I had the chance to replay it after so long.

Yeah, I guess I'm posting my full thoughts on the game.

What can I say? It's still my favorite game after all these years. It gets to me in a way that no other game has, after all these years. Have I played better games since then? Yeah, of course. But Legends 2 has a certain something (or rather, a combination of somethings) that makes me love it in the same way I've loved it since 2000. The gameplay, the art style, the voice acting, everything adds up to a full package so charming that I don't think other game has left an impression on me as this one has. It was amazing for its time and it's still great in 2016.

And it's funny, because as a kid I never finished it, because my faulty PS1 wouldn't read memory cards so playing this game consisted on quasi-marathons where I would play for as long as I could until I died or my parents told me to shut the console off. I only ended up beating it many years later, probably around 2006, thanks to emulators. I think I installed an emulator just so that I could play this game again.

So how does it hold up, sixteen years after release and ten years after finishing it for the first time? Exceedingly well, I think. Other than some stiff controls and slight camera issues the gameplay is terrific, and a massive improvement over the first game. The environment variety also being much better than Legends 1 really gives you the feeling of a worldwide adventure. My biggest problem with the game, if I can even call it that, is that except for one room in the Saul Kada ruins and the final Sera battle, it feels too easy on its standard difficulty. Maybe they didn't expect lock on+strafing to be so broken? I don't know. You just breeze through 90% of the game.

And yet, here I am, 27 years old and tearing up at the ending of the game because those feelings hit me like a truck. I'm still not sure why I love this game so much. I just do. I'm so happy that I had the chance to replay it after so long.

You just summed up my thoughts so perfectly. As a kid, I was gifted a modded PS1 from my sister's friend and one of the games he burned for me was Mega Man Legends 2. I kept dying at the very first Abandoned Mines boss because young me didn't grasp the idea about weakpoints or the nuances of combat such as dodge-rolling. My PS1 eventually died, and I had no way to come back into the game until 2014 when I purchased physical copies of Legends and Legends 2 to keep as part of a sentimental collection. I booted up the PS2 and the nostalgia come flowing.

The game just speaks to me in a way that no other game does. Maybe it's the atmospheric dungeons on top of having such great musical pieces, or maybe it's the journey that Mega Man Volnutt is undertaking in getting to know his identity and memories, hell maybe it's the ending scenes where Sera and Volnutt speak before cheerfully saying that Roll will find him. It manages to find it's way into my emotions when it's not really that deep of a game.

Top Bottom