• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mega Man Legends 2 OT - Return of the Blue Bomber

Manu

Fun fact: Go visit the Flutter and go in the P-Room. You can read up on how the professor found Mega Man. When reading the second part of it, you learn that Roll named Mega Man after the video game character. You know, this guy :).

latest

Legends Mega Man is the ultimate coss-player XD!

Not quite.

Unlike the other Mega Mans, The Mega Man from Legends has a name: Rock Volnutt. "Mega Man Trigger" is his Title, as we learn at the end of 1.

The translators got lazy and just replaced every instance of "Rock" with "Mega Man" during localization. So technically, the name Roll took from the TV is "Rock" and not Rockman/Mega Man.

Capcom lazy translations strike again.

RK128

Not quite.

Unlike the other Mega Mans, The Mega Man from Legends has a name: Rock Volnutt. "Mega Man Trigger" is his Title, as we learn at the end of 1.

The translators got lazy and just replaced every instance of "Rock" with "Mega Man" during localization. So technically, the name Roll took from the TV is "Rock" and not Rockman/Mega Man.

Capcom lazy translations strike again.

Ah, okay :). Always call Mega Man, well, Mega Man XD! So sorry for my mistake guys :).

Edit: Also going to update the OP with links to various tracks from the OST, as its really damn good! I liked Legends 1 soundtrack, but Legends 2's themes are so catchy :).

The tried and true strafe shot is still just the way to beat everything. Works even better with the lock-on improvements in this game. Loving this so far. Might just marathon the whole thing in one day.

MML and MML2 are easily two of my favorite games. There was a stretch where I would replay them back to back every summer. Hope PS4 becomes able to play them at some point. It's been a long time.

Zekes!

Man I'm so happy this is finally available. Mega Man Legends 2 has been my grail video game since I was a teenager. I always liked MML since I first played the N64 version, but this game was always just outta reach because it goes for so much on eBay.

Been playing it for the last 45 minutes and I already appreciate the dual stick controls.

Mega Man: "Roll.....um, are you sure you're warm enough?"
Roll: "Of course Mega Man! I got my jacket on."
Mega Man: "That's not.....never mind."

Fun fact: Go visit the Flutter and go in the P-Room. You can read up on how the professor found Mega Man. When reading the second part of it, you learn that Roll named Mega Man after the video game character. You know, this guy :).

latest

Legends Mega Man is the ultimate coss-player XD!

Another fun tip, try picking Roll up while she accompanies you to the first Ruin for a fun surprise :)

Don't actually do it, she slaps the living fuck out of you and writes about what a jerk you are in her journal, especially if you accidentally shoot her. Not to mention the dark karma it earns you.

Which by the way, this game had a really robust subtle Karma system unlike anything I'd ever seen at the time.

Zekes!

Another fun tip, try picking Roll up while she accompanies you to the first Ruin for a fun surprise :)

Don't actually do it, she slaps the living fuck out of you and writes about what a jerk you are in her journal, especially if you accidentally shoot her. Not to mention the dark karma it earns you.

Which by the way, this game had a really robust subtle Karma system unlike anything I'd ever seen at the time.

Well shit. I accidentally shot Roll on the way to the ruins. Twice. Maybe three times

Weiss

Banned
Ah, okay :). Always call Mega Man, well, Mega Man XD! So sorry for my mistake guys :).

Edit: Also going to update the OP with links to various tracks from the OST, as its really damn good! I liked Legends 1 soundtrack, but Legends 2's themes are so catchy :).

To clarify, The Mega Man in MML is, canonically, called Rock Volnutt. This was translated as Mega Man Volnutt in the west and explained in MML2 as him being named by Roll after one of her favourite video game characters, and with revelations in the first and second game
it's revealed that his "official" title is Mega Man Trigger.

CupONoodos

Neo Member
The feels are overflowing me! Been playing for an hour on Vita and everything seems perfect with no slowdown encountered as of yet unlike MML1 where there was drops in the market. So happy to finally have this on my Vita where it belongs! Hope everyone who is starting the game is having a good time. This game was my childhood like many others posting here and for good reason!

Also for first time players; when you get to the first town, look for the toy duck that's randomly on the ground and jump on it. Start kicking and you can use that as a skateboard. No real purpose for it other than YOU'RE RIDING A RUBBER DUCKY LIKE A SKATEBOARD!

You know, the regular control scheme for the Vita works very well for me. I don't think I'll need to remap buttons unless I want a more robust lock-on button.

RK128

On my PS3 save, I shot her and she said Mega Man was dangerous :l. So, on Vita, I only shot her once by accident and was careful with my shots when she followed me around. Then I read her journal and both sets of text were different!

Really nice touch I must say :D!

RK128

You know, the regular control scheme for the Vita works very well for me. I don't think I'll need to remap buttons unless I want a more robust lock-on button.

The normal controls feel great to me (have my Vita in the PDP 1000 grip), so no need to change them around either (unlike Legends 1, where I had a lot mapped on the right stick: Left/Right strafing, Down Jumping, Up Lock-On/Aiming).

Well you do need full dark karma to get one of the weapon parts in the game, but I guess that can be better gotten from kicking pigs.

The normal controls feel great to me (have my Vita in the PDP 1000 grip), so no need to change them around either (unlike Legends 1, where I had a lot mapped on the right stick: Left/Right strafing, Down Jumping, Up Lock-On/Aiming).

Indeed, they feel so much better on the Vita than Legends 1 did.

The biggest surprise is that cutscenes aren't wonky like in Legends. Especially the gargantuan one in the beginning of Legends 2. I wonder if it's an ISO thing now.

I swear the MML series has nearly the MGS equivalent of little hidden easter eggs and small details buried around the world. I always discover a new one on subsequent replays.
On my PS3 save, I shot her and she said Mega Man was dangerous :l. So, on Vita, I only shot her once by accident and was careful with my shots when she followed me around. Then I read her journal and both sets of text were different!

Really nice touch I must say :D!

Whoa, really?

The day I found out I could shoot her, I had a morbid curiosity and kept shooting her until
she finally fell to her knees. She wouldn't move until I ran up to her and helped her back up. I wonder if it's the same journal entry for that one too. I felt super bad about it though....

Well you do need full dark karma to get one of the weapon parts in the game, but I guess that can be better gotten from kicking pigs.

Yeah I always used the kick-the-pig-in-a-corner trick to rack up the bad karma. Thank goodness for the church so I can pay the evil away!

Well shit. I accidentally shot Roll on the way to the ruins. Twice. Maybe three times

Better check that journal!

Buy her a stuffed animal to make her feel better <3

CupONoodos

Neo Member

I bought the L2/R2 grip from Japan and they work flawlessly on this like I was using a regular controller. Really glad I pre-ordered them the moment pre-orders opened.

RK128

I bought the L2/R2 grip from Japan and they work flawlessly on this like I was using a regular controller. Really glad I pre-ordered them the moment pre-orders opened.

The grips are amazing and while mine doesn't have the L2/R2 buttons, using the rear touch pad feels great with a grip :).

Its been a treat playing this for the first time and its amazing that so many can finally play this classic for the first time :D!

Edit: Also updated the OP with new control configurations for those playing the game on PSP. You really need to play around with the controls for that version, so I hope my control-set up helps you guys :D!

RK128

Thread starts off weird after downloading and playing on Vita beforehand :p

I'm sorry XD! People was upset over lack of Vita support and now everyone is happy again :D!

We can all celebrate this release and have fun now :).

Going to make a Retrospective of Legends 2 once I am done with my Sonic Retrospective, so I hope you look forward to that :).

RK128

One thing I took note of right away was the long intro cut-scene. The game sets up its story in a nice, neat fashion and instantly sucks you in :).

Then we get to the core gameplay, which is Legends 1 but far more refined. Mega Man has a lock on that works closer to say.....a Hyrule Warrior, being able to move left & right as he fire's his Mega Buster.

Mega Man also has his high-jump ability from Legends 1 too, with other iconic abilities like his rocket skates, drill arm and so on returning when you gather enough items.

So, the core gameplay mirrors Legends 1, with one interesting thing to take note; a exploit in the combat system. If you press Up while shooting rapidly (Locked On or not), you can fire far faster bullets compared to normal. Very, very useful for fights XD!

Anyway the presentation of the game is very impressive, with detailed character models, strong texture work and a soundtrack that really took me by surprise! I posted a few tracks in the OP if you guys want to hear them. But very good stuff, mixing the atmospheric tunes from the original game alongside really strong melody's.

Dungeons are designed more like Zelda Temples compared to the labyrinths in Legends 1, with a full on map system, map item and boss key item. They are also themed like in Zelda too, making them have more personality.

Overall, really love my time with Legends 2 and I can't wait to play more!

Regarding how each version runs, I can comment with the following:
-PS3: Runs great with a smooth frame rate and tight control system.
-PS Vita: Runs great and a big improvement over Legends 1 on Vita (no more slowdown, issues with cut-scenes and the like). Controls work great with no re-mapping outside of maybe the Lock-On being pushed to one of the trigger buttons

RockmanBN

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

......After Clement's walkthrough of Legends 2, staying FAR away from that X(.

Never realized that it raised the difficulty. I've always got the license immediately. I always wondered why I got less Zenny.

Vlaphor

I just bought it online, but it's only giving me the option to download it to my PS3. Do I need to download it to there, then copy it to the Vita, or is something else up? I've bought a bunch of stuff on the sony website and downloaded it directly to my Vita.

SMK

I just bought it online, but it's only giving me the option to download it to my PS3. Do I need to download it to there, then copy it to the Vita, or is something else up? I've bought a bunch of stuff on the sony website and downloaded it directly to my Vita.

Search for Mega Man on the Vita store and download it from there.

RK128

Will explain how it goes down.

- It will appear in your Vita download list
- You can transfer it to your Vita via PS3 too Vita transfer
- Its on the native Vita store (type in Mega Man in the search box; it should be under Mega Man Legends)

Sony didn't update the game's listing yet, so it still 'thinks' its a PS3 game, when it really is a normal PS1 Classic in terms of functionality.

Edgeward

So glad it works on vita. Weird how they bungled the webstore page of it saying only ps3 but whatever. Now to play it later tonight.

Never realized that it raised the difficulty. I've always got the license immediately. I always wondered why I got less Zenny.

In my physical copy/memory card, I had the difficulty set to A-license and to send the game off, I had a last boss battle on that disc, and Sera kicked my ass lol by continually spamming the yellow bolts. I can't imagine S-difficulty with the increased damage and HP bar. Though, it's not that hard, just a bit more tedious.

But I'll be damned if I don't try it on the PSN version.

RK128

Updated the OP quite a bit covering the following:
-First Impressions
-Music to Listen too
-How to get the game on your Vita
-Various Images/Gifs

If I'm missing anything, let me know guys :)

RockmanBN

I never found the game tough unless when I was a child. The boss fights just took longer especially the one at
the Forbidden Island
. Zenny grinding sucked for thr late game weapons. Luckily the Manda Island spot was easy to rinse and repeat.

RK128

Also added a 10$ US PSN Code Play Asia link for EU gamers interested in getting Legends 2 but have only a EU account :). Hope it helps :D!

dlauv

I am thinking on either getting this or Amplitude right now, and the other tomorrow. I'll let gaf decide
if gaf cares

RK128

I am thinking on either getting this or Amplitude right now, and the other tomorrow. I'll let gaf decide
if gaf cares

Mega Man Legends 2 - Long Adventure game with lots to see and do.

Amplitude - Music game that while great, only has 20 or so tracks and could get old after a while.

I think you will be happy with both honestly but I recommend Legends 2 more :).

This is incorrect. Raising the difficulty gives you MORE zenny and access to more dungeons and parts as compensation for the harder enemies and bosses (allowing you to mitigate some of the harder difficulty with better gear).

S-Rank isn't really that hard once you learn that you deal with most of the enemies by simply picking them up and throwing them at other enemies... It's absolutely a must to get A-rank as soon as possible to get them fat lewts and extra cash early. I can't say I ever beat the game sub-S rank... the moment I learned I could get a higher difficulty/rank I tried for hoooours till I got it the first time. Spent at least one day, maybe two on it.

I lost a lot of boss fights after that till I cashed in on the extra gear and honed my boss fighting talents... but the bosses were nothing compared to the difficulty of actually beating S-rank to begin with.

Redd

My favorite part to this series are the interactions between Tron Bonne and Mega Man and also going into dungeons to get parts to upgrade.

Really wish Capcom didn't cancel MML3.

My favorite part to this series are the interactions between Tron Bonne and Mega Man and also going into dungeons to get parts to upgrade.

Really wish Capcom didn't cancel MML3.

They handled the whole situation super poorly. Promising us the fate of the game would rely on sales of the demo (a demo with a proper developer options built in to just play around and do whatever we want with was an amazingly cool concept)... then canceling the demo for no reason.

RockmanBN

This is incorrect. Raising the difficulty gives you MORE zenny and access to more dungeons and parts as compensation for the harder enemies and bosses (allowing you to mitigate some of the harder difficulty with better gear).

S-Rank isn't really that hard once you learn that you deal with most of the enemies by simply picking them up and throwing them at other enemies... It's absolutely a must to get A-rank as soon as possible to get them fat lewts and extra cash early. I can't say I ever beat the game sub-S rank... the moment I learned I could get a higher difficulty/rank I tried for hoooours till I got it the first time. Spent at least one day, maybe two on it.

I lost a lot of boss fights after that till I cashed in on the extra gear and honed my boss fighting talents... but the bosses were nothing compared to the difficulty of actually beating S-rank to begin with.

Oops. Was thinking about the SS license that you only get on Very Hard.

CupONoodos

Neo Member
They handled the whole situation super poorly. Promising us the fate of the game would rely on sales of the demo (a demo with a proper developer options built in to just play around and do whatever we want with was an amazingly cool concept)... then canceling the demo for no reason.

Don't forget also blaming the community for now showing enough "interest" in the game even though there were many people contributing ideas and concepts for the game in the dev room forum. Also didn't help the fact that the only one pushing for the game to be made was Inafune so the moment he left you can be sure Capcom was happy enough to end development and put that money on Resident Evil 6's budget and look how that turned out. Though I'm just making shit up about what they were trying to do with no evidence, it does make sense for Capcom at the time.

Manu

I had forgotten what a great place to farm Zenny the first Pokte Island is.

Those green frogs just give so much money.

The emulation is so well done compared to Legends 1, I'm amazed. I was expecting Forbidden Island and Yosyonke to have issues, but it played exactly like the original hardware.

Was Legends 1 just bad then?

The emulation is so well done compared to Legends 1, I'm amazed. I was expecting Forbidden Island and Yosyonke to have issues, but it played exactly like the original hardware.

Was Legends 1 just bad then?

Something didn't agree with the emulator somewhere... I can't remember it ever stressing anything I've ever tried playing the game on off the top of my head, at least not more than the sequel and Tron did...

I still think a large part of the delay between MML1 and 2 on PSN was likely them working on optimizing the emulator more.

Tizoc

Legends 2 works on vita now?
Well thete you go
Like i kept saying
Just
Wait

You kids are weird sometimes
I miss the old days of making fun or psn delays.....

Something didn't agree with the emulator somewhere... I can't remember it ever stressing anything I've ever tried playing the game on off the top of my head, at least not more than the sequel and Tron did...

I still think a large part of the delay between MML1 and 2 on PSN was likely them working on optimizing the emulator more.

I know cutscenes are a result of desync issues, but gameplay elements are strange. There's slowdown when models are rendered in Apple Market and the Flutter area before entering Kattelox Island. Things that never existed in the original hardware. However, on a PS3, they run fine. So I wonder if it's a power issue rather than something limited to the emulator? I guess there's also the issue of areas being much larger in Legends 1 than Legends 2.

Are PSOne classics emulation tailor-made for the game? I thought they were pretty much ISOs injected into Sony's official emulator.

Top Bottom