• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max orders "Harry Potter" series - all 7 books will be adapted over a period of 10 years.

Dural

I liked the first Fantastic Beasts quite a bit actually, but once the series decided it wanted to be more about Dumbledore than Newt it crashed hard. I would have more than okay with 2-3 fairly stand-alone movies that just consisted of Newt traveling to parts of the world we didn't see in Harry Potter.

Same, the adventures of Newt traveling around the world was a great premise.

I’m excited but it’s deep in there.
I’m more scared for any agendas that may try to get pushed.
And also praying they get the casting right. Don’t go all PC and make characters change race or genders. And sexuality doesn’t even need to come up. Nobody cares if you’re trans or not, the show doesn’t require it to be said.

JK had a bunch of demands before she agreed to the show, I hope she doesn't let them stray to far from the source material.

I'm a huge HP fan and am excited by this. I don't see the issue with a new cast, how many Spidermans, Batmans, James Bonds, etc... have we had and no one cares? I'm hopeful the casting will be better than the films.

I'm a huge sports fan and loved quidditch in the books and the movies completely gave up on it by Azkaban which is ironic considering quidditch is like half the damn book. Looking forward to quidditch being a big part of the series. I also hope they don't go with the same BS apparating that they had in the movies, they pretty much had the death eaters flying in Order of the Phoenix. There's just so much they did in the movies that was wrong and I look forward to that being fixed in the tv series.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
And tbf adding a young black actress as Hermione would be a great thing and this is coming from a Potter mad household, I don't see any issues with it, Ron is always gonna be a pasty ginger and Potter was always gonna be a whitey so why not switch out Hermione as there's no real reason for her to be white and it wouldn't change a single thing as we really don't get to see much of Hermiones family whereas we spend a great deal of time with the Wesley's and Dursleys and frankly switching either of them out for a black family would be jarring and a massive departure from the books which I wouldn't be a fan off and I'm pretty sure 99% of the fan base no matter your race wouldn't be happy either.

I'm more interested in the adult casting tbf, fantastic gig to get with some iconic boots to fill

Elysion

Banned
And tbf adding a young black actress as Hermione would be a great thing and this is coming from a Potter mad household, I don't see any issues with it, Ron is always gonna be a pasty ginger and Potter was always gonna be a whitey so why not switch out Hermione as there's no real reason for her to be white and it wouldn't change a single thing as we really don't get to see much of Hermiones family whereas we spend a great deal of time with the Wesley's and Dursleys and frankly switching either of them out for a black family would be jarring and a massive departure from the books which I wouldn't be a fan off and I'm pretty sure 99% of the fan base no matter your race wouldn't be happy either.

I'm more interested in the adult casting tbf, fantastic gig to get with some iconic boots to fill

Making the Weasleys all black would be hilarious tbh. Hell, they could even keep their red hair; if House of the Dragon can have silver-haired black people, then HP can have black gingers lol. But Hermione will definitely be black, she‘s the smartest among the main characters and the best student of her year; there‘s no way they can resist casting her as a poc.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I just don't find these stories particularly interesting... maybe if I was a kid.

I dunno, just not my thing watching media that's all about children lol

Elysion

Banned
If they do cast a black actress as Hermione, the initial mudblood insult is going to hit different. Should be interesting to see how the showrunners tackle it.

They could always make the Malfoys black too, since the racial aspect wouldn’t really matter if black!Draco calls black!Hermione a mudblood. Though let‘s be real, Draco and his father will 100% be white.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Making the Weasleys all black would be hilarious tbh. Hell, they could even keep their red hair; if House of the Dragon can have silver-haired black people, then HP can have black gingers lol. But Hermione will definitely be black, she‘s the smartest among the main characters and the best student of her year; there‘s no way they can resist casting her as a poc.
Nah it wouldn't, they'd do it all wrong af and make them stereotypical af, keep them as a quintessentially English country family as per the movies and books, the only one that would work would be Hermione

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yeah they do grow you know and the stories get waaaaay dark af
Well I've seen the movies; I also just think the story is kind of lame regardless... just a basic "chosen one" story where the main character gets away with rule breaking the entire time but of course saves the day.

The later movies were decent I guess, but re-visiting this with a TV show where the time dedication is MUCH higher is a bit rough for me.

Having said that I'm sure my wife will watch this so I'll at least hear it in the background lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
Of all the things the movies fucked up that is the least of my concerns. The final battle in movie 8 was totally goofed up. After all those movies and 10 years they couldn't nail the story climax. but again they went for something more dramatic and exciting. Voldemort was meant to die a very boring death but the movies had to have Harry/Voldemort flying about and blasting shit out their wands at each other. The whole entire fucking point of Voldemort dying was that he was a not immortal but a broken human. He didn't need to vanish into confetti but simply drop to the ground dead like someone who had been shot.
The film went off the rails as soon as they stepped foot in Hogwarts, but that scene was the goofiest shit I've ever seen. "Let's cuddle and fly around together, Tom." I think they missed dramatic and exciting and instead hit boring and disappointing.

That final scene in front of everyone deserved, and still deserves, to be done correctly.
I also hope they don't go with the same BS apparating that they had in the movies, they pretty much had the death eaters flying in Order of the Phoenix. There's just so much they did in the movies that was wrong and I look forward to that being fixed in the tv series.
Books: "He can fly." *Queue shock at this powerful wizard doing things no one else can do

Films: Everyone flies, fuck it

Dural

The film went off the rails as soon as they stepped foot in Hogwarts, but that scene was the goofiest shit I've ever seen. "Let's cuddle and fly around together, Tom." I think they missed dramatic and exciting and instead hit boring and disappointing.

That final scene in front of everyone deserved, and still deserves, to be done correctly.

Books: "He can fly." *Queue shock at this powerful wizard doing things no one else can do

Films: Everyone flies, fuck it

That was exactly my thought the first time I saw it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hasn't Star Wars, LOTR, and Game of Thrones showed that making up side stories just kinda sucks?
Yes and no. Mandalorian was well received, and so was House of the Dragon. Within the Wizarding World IP itself, Fantastic Beasts was a fail, but Hogwart's Legacy was a success.

daTRUballin

To add to those:
  • All of the memories of Voldemort like applying to be a teacher and getting shut down by Dumbledore
  • Full Department of Mysteries
  • Everything from the moment Harry steps foot back in the castle in book 7, most notably when he feels utter rage at McGonagall being spat on and uses the Crutiatus Curse on a teacher, finally understanding what Bellatrix meant when she said you have to mean it
  • Full Snape dickhead like telling extra goofy Hermione there's no difference with her teeth being giant (which makes me wonder if they will be faithful to that transformation)
  • Dumbledore funeral, not just wand anti-smoke snake LED magic
  • Full Triwizard maze with creatures
To add a couple of other omissions from the movies that really bug me:

• Have Dumbledore actually mention the beef that Snape had with Harry's dad to Harry at the end of Sorcerer's Stone. I have no idea why they decided to omit such an important detail about Snape from a movie that is otherwise one of the most faithful ones to the books. Snape doesn't even mention anything about James in the movies until Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Actually show Snape teaching a Defense Against the Dark Arts class in Half-Blood Prince. This really irked me about the 6th movie. Part of the fun of these books and movies was seeing how different each DADA teacher was from each other and we didn't get to see any of Snape's classes
  • Don't butcher the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore at the end of OotP again and have Dumbledore actually explain the prophecy more fully. Why Voldemort went after Harry in the first place, how Neville was almost the chosen one, etc. etc.
I'm someone that actually loves the movies. I watch them all the time. They're like my comfort movies at this point, but even I get frustrated with some of the omissions from them.

I can't imagine other actors playing these characters though. That's the sad part. I'm so used to these movies lol

gothmog

Gold Member
Yes and no. Mandalorian was well received, and so was House of the Dragon. Within the Wizarding World IP itself, Fantastic Beasts was a fail, but Hogwart's Legacy was a success.
From what I hear Mandalorian is a mixed bag. Everything else suffers from a bunch of creators doing their own thing. Sure you get an Andor sometimes, but for the most part you get Obi-Wan or Boba Fett level abomination. House of the Dragon started strong but I heard nothing after the first few episodes.

Hogwarts is a video game so not really in scope for the argument but I agree on that front. Side stories in video games are probably the best way to do it with things like Hogwarts Legacy and Jedi Fallen Order.

I guess my point is with huge franchises like this why risk it when you can just do the source material well. They seem to remake Dune every 10 years so why not HP?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Hasn't Star Wars, LOTR, and Game of Thrones showed that making up side stories just kinda sucks? Sure you'll syphon some money off the name, but people are not as excited about prequels and sequels as they were. I think redoing the books in long form is much better than doing the continuing adventures of Harry Potter Jr.
What? Mandalorian is HUGE and so was House of the Dragon. Also Star Wars has its animated shows that were also wildly popular.

They have showed that these things not only work, but can resurrect the franchise.

Laieon

Make them all blue haired just to piss certain folks off.

What? Mandalorian is HUGE

Season 1 and 2 definitely were, but anecdotally I haven't heard or seen many people (including just random online articles) talking about Season 3. Maybe that's just me though.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I guess my point is with huge franchises like this why risk it when you can just do the source material well. They seem to remake Dune every 10 years so why not HP?
Who says they're risking it? We don't really know any details yet.

edit: Oh I guess you meant in the context of the user you replied to.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Indeed, but perhaps this time they can cast someone who is supposed to be a little more age appropriate. Snape is supposed to be in his early 30s when Harry first arrives.
I get that, but Rickman was just fantastic as Snape. Even if it wasn't book accurate he was one of the highlights of the series.

I'm not on board with black Hermione, not even as a culture war thing, though that certainly doesn't help. I mean, I get annoyed that the Weasely twins tower over Ronald in the movies. Ron's the tall one, the twins are short. I ain't even getting over a height swap let alone a race swap.
RIP to whoever has to play Snape in the Shadow of the legendary Alan Rickman.
FTFY

But I don't know, I liked Jim Dale's audiobook Snape more than Alan Rickman's.

Tams

I'll give it a chance.

But I too worry about what this will do to the young actors, especially if it isn't good.

Spaceman292

Banned
I'm not on board with black Hermione, not even as a culture war thing, though that certainly doesn't help. I mean, I get annoyed that the Weasely twins tower over Ronald in the movies. Ron's the tall one, the twins are short. I ain't even getting over a height swap let alone a race swap.

FTFY

But I don't know, I liked Jim Dale's audiobook Snape more than Alan Rickman's.
All the kids were cast when they were ten years old. You can never really know how tall they're gonna grow. Harry was meant to start short, but grow taller than everyone else. Radcliffe ended up a shorty.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
As long as he's weirdly sexy people will be okay with it
z0SaPxL.jpg

All the kids were cast when they were ten years old. You can never really know how tall they're gonna grow. Harry was meant to start short, but grow taller than everyone else. Radcliffe ended up a shorty.
Not buying it, they absolutely tower over Ronald in the first movie. It didn't diverge in year 4 or something.

Do better HBO. Look at the parents' heights. Then get some DNA analysis from 23 and Me or whatever to mitigate cuck/cheating situations. And make 'em sign over all the rights to their likenesses so you can CGI the kids that OD after being sexually abused by the producers.

Spaceman292

Banned
Not buying it, they absolutely tower over Ronald in the first movie. It didn't diverge in year 4 or something.

Do better HBO. Look at the parents' heights. Then get some DNA analysis from 23 and Me or whatever to mitigate cuck/cheating situations. And make 'em sign over all the rights to their likenesses so you can CGI the kids that OD after being sexually abused by the producers.
I hope they're all black and wear backwards baseball caps instead of wizard hats. And instead of wands they have guns.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A Harry Potter show is ideal if you don’t like fantastic beasts fine but the original Harry Potter films are far from bad.

jason10mm

Gold Member
One good thing is they know where the series is going so they can do proper set up and world building. I drove me NUTS how sloppy Rowling was with each book by inventing stuff with no foreshadowing. She clearly never outlined the world properly to make it feel lived in.

Now a screenwriter can tease the Triwizard Tournament, reference other schools, and integrate the muggle components better.

But I gotta wonder if they will start as young. Can they really keep up an annual release with todays ridonculously high production values? So skewing the kids a bit older lets them future proof their looks a bit, get to the more mature stuff earlier (lets face it, the idea of a girl ghost haunting the boys bathrooms is BEGGING for a PG-13 treatment :p and in general embrace the later books darkness more consistently.

Curious if they will set it in the past as well.

A Harry Potter show is ideal if you don’t like fantastic beasts fine but the original Harry Potter films are far from bad.
i loved the movies and saw them the day they all came out. they mean a lot to me but the books deserve better.

movies 1, 2, 7 were very faithful. 3 and 8 were largely accurate to the books but started leaving stuff out or got things wrong. movies 4, 5, 6 butchered the books.

for movies 1, 2, 7 i can think of a lot of ways the TV show can improve upon the movies. so many scenes were left out from the books. books 4, 5, 6 have so much content (more so 4-5) and would benefit a lot from a 10-12 season of 1 hour episodes.

season 1- 2 = 8x 50 min episodes (400 mins)
season 3 = 9x 60 min episodes (540 mins)
season 4-5 = 12x 70 min episodes (840 mins)
season 6 = 10x 60 min episodes (600 mins)
season 7 = 12x 60 min episodes (720 mins)

they could try stretch it to 8 seasons but it doesn't make sense. plus if if this is a 10 year project it will be hard to put out 8 seasons. 7 would be better. It's more than enough and it would give them more production time.

Last edited:
I think it will be legit hilarious if the entire media decides to pull a Hogwarts Legacy and tries to pretend the TV series doesn't exist and no one reviews it or even acknowledges it and then it becomes HBO Max highest viewed show of all time. Watching the media voluntarily making itself irrelevant is better entertainment than every Marvel movie combined.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Jeff Sneider revealed that Warner Bros. is prioritising diversity with this adaptation, and adds that there's a "concerted effort" to cast "more people of color" in the show.
Behind the scenes, the expectation is that there will also be an increased number of writers who are also POC.

Finally, Sneider would point out there's a strong chance a Black actress will play Hermione, no great surprise when that's often been the case on stage for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway and the West End.

I don't think race should matter. I think whoever is the best choice for the role should get it regardless of their skin colour. By all means be open to hiring a diverse cast but do it because that person is the best choice and not to score points or tick boxes.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
but do it because that person is the best choice and not to score points or tick boxes.
Unfortunately we both know they don't do it for genuine representation. This is just the easy and lazy way.
Also the Harry Potter saga doesn't need race swap, just put a better focus on the Patil family, Cho Chang or Kingsley Shacklebolt for example.

I'll even add that if this is such a problem, put the focus on another school on another country. Now THAT would be awesome: imagine seeing how the magical World is in Asia, or Africa or India? So much potential.
I remember that character in Hogwarts talking about her school in Africa called Uagadou. You want to go diverse? Show me this!

But no, let's make Hermione black 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Jeff Sneider revealed that Warner Bros. is prioritising diversity with this adaptation, and adds that there's a "concerted effort" to cast "more people of color" in the show.
Behind the scenes, the expectation is that there will also be an increased number of writers who are also POC.

Finally, Sneider would point out there's a strong chance a Black actress will play Hermione, no great surprise when that's often been the case on stage for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child on Broadway and the West End.

[/URL]
Can't wait for the adventures of Hay-quan, Ronald King Jr. and Queen Hermistra.

Tams

All this race/gender swapping/substituting nonsense, etc. Urrrrghhh

If they try to make 'more relatable' that way; I won't find it relatable. And I'm not 'represented' in Harry Potter at all (and that's fucking fine).

I hope they stay close to the original stories in almost all ways.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, i hope they stick to the true demographics of england and we see an accurate representation of the diversity of the COUNTRY, not just London.

uBz7QzL.jpg

Should be FAR more asians in brit stuff than we actually see. And, to the shock of no one, 90% of folks are still white.

Just so long as my ginger weasley's can stay.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well, i hope they stick to the true demographics of england and we see an accurate representation of the diversity of the COUNTRY, not just London.

uBz7QzL.jpg

Should be FAR more asians in brit stuff than we actually see. And, to the shock of no one, 90% of folks are still white.

Just so long as my ginger weasley's can stay.
We watch a lot of Antiques roadshow in this house and outside of Landan it's all whitey mcwhitesville

Stitch

Gold Member
Asians in the US would mostly refer to people from Korea, China & Japan while in England it means people from India & Pakistan

BeardGawd

Banned
Great news for Rowling as whoever they pick for the leads becomes the new 'face' of Harry Potter going forward. No more Daniel Radcliffe and others undermining her views.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I haven't read these books but I can't imagine they were so dense that the movie adaptations didn't do them justice. Something like Dune could use a long form sereis to adapt the books properly. Not this YA basic ass shit.

K2D

Banned
It's a non fiction book about withes and wizards, Hermione isn't real so there is no "reality" to be seen. Even if the book does describe her as being white an adaptation changing that really doesn't matter because no part of her character has anything to do with her skin color. The only reality is that even JK Rowling says she couldn't care less what race Hermione is.

What matters about Hermione:
She's loyal
She's smart
She's cunning
In the later books she's a bit cocky (see: Rita Skeeter)

What doesn't matter about Hermione:
Her skin color
Harry Potter cast's skin color doesn't matter as long as they're not white because reparations. ✊🏿

Fbh

I haven't read these books but I can't imagine they were so dense that the movie adaptations didn't do them justice. Something like Dune could use a long form sereis to adapt the books properly. Not this YA basic ass shit.

The movies are mostly good but the HP book are fairly extensive (around 600 pages) so adapting them into 2,5 hours long movies was always going to require some significant trimming.
There's definitely plenty of material for a TV show to expand on.

With that said for me this project is inherently unexciting because the best part of an adaptation is seeing the world of the books translated to the big screen and the movies already did a fantastic job with that

Pagusas

Elden Member
To add a couple of other omissions from the movies that really bug me:

• Have Dumbledore actually mention the beef that Snape had with Harry's dad to Harry at the end of Sorcerer's Stone. I have no idea why they decided to omit such an important detail about Snape from a movie that is otherwise one of the most faithful ones to the books. Snape doesn't even mention anything about James in the movies until Prisoner of Azkaban
  • Actually show Snape teaching a Defense Against the Dark Arts class in Half-Blood Prince. This really irked me about the 6th movie. Part of the fun of these books and movies was seeing how different each DADA teacher was from each other and we didn't get to see any of Snape's classes
  • Don't butcher the conversation between Harry and Dumbledore at the end of OotP again and have Dumbledore actually explain the prophecy more fully. Why Voldemort went after Harry in the first place, how Neville was almost the chosen one, etc. etc.
I'm someone that actually loves the movies. I watch them all the time. They're like my comfort movies at this point, but even I get frustrated with some of the omissions from them.

I can't imagine other actors playing these characters though. That's the sad part. I'm so used to these movies lol
Got to add the biggest and most annoying thing the movies missed: the calling of the order of the phoenix to arms at the end of goblet of fire. The most import and awesome scene in the book, and they didn’t even film it!

Top Bottom