• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Harry Potter’, ‘Fantastic Beasts’ Dead as Wizarding World Franchise Reportedly Ends

Yoboman

Their biggest mistake was hiring David Yates as director. The quality of the HP movies crashed quick and hard with him at the direction, only Deathly Hallows part 1 was somewhat enjoyable. Keeping him for FB doomed the project from the get go, never mind the dull casting for the first movie and Eddie Redmayne going for a very quirky take on the main character. Nothing in the first FB is remotely memorable, everyone looks and acts like they’re drugged to the ears. The second movie is absolutely incomprehensible if you aren’t more than versed in the HP lore. The people who saw it at the theater with me didn’t understand a fucking thing about the story. I didn’t see the third movie, I don’t need to watch it to know it can’t be better.
I think the best David Yates movies was Order of the Phoenix. The first Fantastic Beasts was solid too but nothing mind blowing

He seems to so better when the movies are a bit less serious. Once it veers into more serious areas he falls apart

I'm not sure how he's managed to keep the directors chair for so long. Must be insanely lucrative and he has never done amazing work there. The franchise needed a new vision years ago

dr_octagon

Banned
Fantastic Beets and Where to Farm them
Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

Xenon

I own the 1st 2 movies and I haven't even bothered to watch them.

Dumbledore was never really that interesting of a character to me

Esca

All I cared about was the beasts and not the other crap. They should have focused on the beasts and saving them etc. Make it Jari Wizarding world peeking Pokémon for all I care. Would of been better than what we got

Saber

Gold Member
I own the 1st 2 movies and I haven't even bothered to watch them.

Dumbledore was never really that interesting of a character to me

In my case is the opposite. Dumbledore is an interesting character, but only when he is reserved about his story.
People when watch the movies aways "knew" Dumbledore, but only from what they saw about him(just like Harry).
Nobody knows about his family drama, brother, relationship, etc because they aren't supposed to knew. He never wanted to share his past, and thats why I feel like it's interesting.
When FB tried to push Dumbledore I knew the film was in a terrible spot, because these films are like focused about this stupid care of creatures(I think this is the worst aspect of Hogwarts).

Last edited:

Patriots7

I don't get how they get to the assumption that Wizarding World is dead. The sourced Variety article highlights that Warner Bros CEO wants to do something with the Wizarding World franchise, specifically calling it out in the earnings call.

Nothing is in active development, sure. But similarly, nothing is in active development for Lord of the Rings films and that was also cited as another franchise they want to revisit.

They need to do a prequel based on The Marauders. This enables them to tie in many of the things that people love about Harry Potter, exploring familiar characters and the entertaining dynamics of Hogwarts students.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
"the once sparkling Harry Potter enterprise has lost support from millions worldwide due to the continued controversy surrounding Rowling"

Oh fuck right off.. millions?? Millions lol a couple of thousand at most got their gender neutral fucking knickers in a twist, everyone else just thought the movies where shite (personally I didn't mind them) and where the fuck was all that controversy when Hogwarts Legacy became such a massive runaway hit?? God I hate these deliberate clickbate shite

Last edited:
The fantastic beasts movies were dogshit. I'm happy they scrapped them. I'll pretend those movies don't exist right along with Cursed Child.

I'm hyped for a TV show adaptation aslong it doesn't try to appease the woke folx! I mean I ain't against changes to things but as long as it stays faithful to the book. If Hermione's actress is not white then I wouldn't give a fuck. I don't see why a black actress couldn't do the role of Hermione. Same for Harry himself. The fucking colour of your skin shouldn't matter. If the actors/actresses have the talent to portray that character then hire them regardless of their race. What I don't like to making changes for no reason other than to score points or try win over people who don't give a fuck about Harry Potter. If the makers of this show try to satisfy the likes of the crowd over at Ree/Twitter then it's doomed. Hogwarts Legacy shows that we should not give in to them. Appeal to the actual fans of the books and not people who will hate it no matter what they do.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
Just make good movies and people will pay to watch them... Jesus.. It's not rocket science.
Its this. Just look at the video game (yes, slightly different, but shows the continued popularity of the IP when done right).

They just need to reboot Wizarding World. Not mess with a prequel. (I don't think I have ever enjoyed a prequel....ever). Push forward with new characters...a new threat.....and go from there.

Top Bottom