• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy is the biggest Harry Potter game launch of all time | UK Boxed Charts

GIF by VPRO

Oh where did he go?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Lol i was joking with you.

It's because of that Wired review that started off with "Yikes Y'all" and the review was done by someone (a male to female transgender) who had only reviewed sex toys before so it was almost like they got to do the job just because of being trans.

I won't like to the article but here is the thread

Oh so that's the full story. I don't blame the reviewer then. That 1 out of 10 is WIRED magazines's fault. They should have never allowed her to review it in the first place.

damidu

what are even the other harry potter games? lol
meaningless statistic to put to title.
%80 over elden ring opening is much more impressive feat.

Last edited:

sachos

Those are nice physical sales numbers. Its a shame the disc build seems to be a bad one with this one, you need a mandatory patch to make it work so the disc is useless from a preservation pov.

kiryani

I’m not surprised at the PS5/Series X disparity.

I have both consoles, and usually exclusively go Xbox for multiplat games, but the extra content just made it a total no brainer.

Think you've got it backwards. No one's ignoring digital sales on PS, but multiple users, including yourself, are certainly doing it the other way around.

The article itself says it expects the gap to lessen with digital sales in the very next line.

There is also a larger install base of PlayStation users than Xbox here in the UK.

Last edited:
I already said if this game was good (and it turned out to be) it will probably be the best selling game of the year. I'm looking for Elden Ring first week sales but I can only find how well it did in comparison to other games, no actual numbers. All I can easily find is that ER sold 12 million total copies worldwide by March 15th 2022 (so after 2 weeks and 4 days).

I'm not sure how they figure first week sales either. Elden Ring launched on a Friday. So are they comparing it to only 3 days of ER vs 6 days of HL sales? I don't know.

Regardless Hogwarts Legacy is very clearly going to be a sales monster.

Edit: And the Playstation vs Xbox sales are normal for physical. Elden Ring for example was 80 Playstation vs 17 Xbox.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
This just shows how weird it is that, until Hogwarts Legacy, no one has made a big budget HP game at all. All the HP games we‘ve gotten until now were crappy movie tie-ins or Lego games. The very first HP game came out on PS1 in late 2001, when the PS2 was already in full swing. It was your typical subpar license game, yet still ended up being one of the best selling PS1 games of all time. But despite that, no one drew the conclusion that a high-effort game with a proper budget in that universe would be something worth trying. I mean, there’ve been tons of good Star Wars games in all kinds of genres, but for HP all we got were these lame movie games. Imagine if we had gotten a game like Hogwarts Legacy on the Wii, with motion controls to guide our wand movements? Would’ve sold absolute gangbusters.

They're gonna have a bad year. Hogwarts is a serious contender for GOTY. It'll be tough up against TOTK and Starfield but the game has no right being this good! I'm a huge HP fan and didn't expect it to be this good lol.
no games media are voting for this as GotY, they'd be too scared.

Valedix

Everybody knows, but you guys are beating a dead horse at this point.

Don't get me wrong, rubbing it in their face is deserved, but doesn't mean people need to bring it up every chance they get.
Seem to recall they are still attacking streamers, voice actors, developers and spoiling the game. You don't need to look far to know they're going to keep doing it too.

kiphalfton

This just shows how weird it is that, until Hogwarts Legacy, no one has made a big budget HP game at all. All the HP games we‘ve gotten until now were crappy movie tie-ins or Lego games. The very first HP game came out on PS1 in late 2001, when the PS2 was already in full swing. It was your typical subpar license game, yet still ended up being one of the best selling PS1 games of all time. But despite that, no one drew the conclusion that a high-effort game with a proper budget in that universe would be something worth trying. I mean, there’ve been tons of good Star Wars games in all kinds of genres, but for HP all we got were these lame movie games. Imagine if we had gotten a game like Hogwarts Legacy on the Wii, with motion controls to guide our wand movements? Would’ve sold absolute gangbusters.
Bro GTFO, you sound just like the retard era morons spouting nonsense when I bet you didn't even play the first Harry Potter game. Reason I say that is the first and second console ports were really good, and the GBC ports were even better.

Fake

I see Linneman still feels the need to be a little bitch about it

Maybe he was forced to do so. He never get so angry about a game, not even the bad ones. He just need to get out of Twitter sometimes.

Buts is OK to don't like a game. Even better will be not him to analyze. Probably Tom or Oliver.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe he was forced to do so. He never get so angry about a game, not even the bad ones. He just need to get out of Twitter sometimes.

Buts is OK to don't like a game. Even better will be not him to analyze. Probably Tom or Oliver.
If he hates HP so much (as well as Manabyte saying EG didn't have any HP coverage on their site since March 2022), a HP review by Linneman is already on shaky territory.

That would be like me being asked to review a JRPG or RTS game which I dont like the genre.

Is it that hard to ask someone else at EG or DF to review the game? Odd.

Elysion

Banned
Bro GTFO, you sound just like the retard era morons spouting nonsense when I bet you didn't even play the first Harry Potter game. Reason I say that is the first and second console ports were really good, and the GBC ports were even better.

The two PS1 games were little more than going from one mini-game to the next, with some limited exploration of Hogwarts inbetween. The number of spells was laughable, NPCs were almost non-existent, combat was extremely basic, and there was little content in general. Playing them as a kid back then was a different story of course; I really liked exploring the castle, limited as it was, and discovering all the secret rooms and passages behind the movable bookshelves and finding all the wizard’s cards was cool. But even as a kid back then I recognized that these games were missing something. It was probably the first time that I recognized a game as ‘average’.

The games for the second and third movies on PS2/XBox/GC were a bit better; though it was still only possible to explore a small part of the castle, and combat was still pretty basic. I didn’t play any of the later games, but they all had middling reviews at best, especially since they turned the later ones into crappy 3rd person shooters (they even had cover systems, if I remember correctly lol).

I can’t speak for the handheld games, since I haven’t played any of those, but the console games prior to Hogwarts Legacy were indeed very forgettable.

Saber

Gold Member

I think he needs to think twice before storming out like that. No way I believed they would not cover the game, but it was unnecessary to rage like that. If its pressure or annoying people just take a time off twitter. Honestly I dunno why he is still have an account there if he clearly has issues, but if he is remaining there because of clicks and revenue then he have to deal with it.

Either way I'm looking foward to the video.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I think he needs to think twice before storming out like that. No way I believed they would not cover the game, but it was unnecessary to rage like that. If its pressure or annoying people just take a time off twitter. Honestly I dunno why he is still have an account there if he clearly has issues, but if he is remaining there because of clicks and revenue then he have to deal with it.

Sounds reasonable. But easier said than done. Media people always need to be in the spotlight for exposure for sake of career and making sure the public doesn't forget about them (out of sight, out of mind).

If any media whores had a choice between airing out a messy divorce online for clicks, or keeping it confidential and lose out on exposure during their divorce battle, they'd probably take the former.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
You could basically say the same thing about Lord of Rings, which has never really got it's big game. Just like for HP this has always been very puzzling to me. Hopefully this gen someone will come around and make a decent LoTR game.

yazenov

Those cheap asses couldn't buy their own code to cover the game?
Yes, it's embarrassing. Also, they are now forced to cover this game now that it's impossible for them to ignore as it's leaving money off the table for any media outlet that doesn't cover this game. It's getting a lot of attention and hype from fans and consumers.

It seems being woke doesn't pay the bills.

YCoCg

The whole thing has been a terrible look for them. It's embarrassing.
Those cheap asses couldn't buy their own code to cover the game?
Yes, it's embarrassing. Also, they are now forced to cover this game now that it's impossible for them to ignore as it's leaving money off the table for any media outlet that doesn't cover this game. It's getting a lot of attention and hype from fans and consumers.

It seems being woke doesn't pay the bills.

FFS you lot are as bad as the other side at times, John has always said he's not into Harry Potter, only finding the Lego ones tolerable, and he was responding to a tweet that was threatening him for not covering the game (the tweet was deleted leaving John's reply out there with no context).

Plus he's had to deal with Reee sending shit to him and threatening him if he DOES cover the game. From the perspective of a person that doesn't even like the franchise of course he's going to lash out at getting shit for a game he's not even covering.

As for paying for the game, why? They usually get keys for big games, in fact it's only the indie stuff that they sometimes pay for and again that's John who does so to show people games like Ion Fury, etc.

yazenov

FFS you lot are as bad as the other side at times, John has always said he's not into Harry Potter, only finding the Lego ones tolerable, and he was responding to a tweet that was threatening him for not covering the game (the tweet was deleted leaving John's reply out there with no context).

Plus he's had to deal with Reee sending shit to him and threatening him if he DOES cover the game. From the perspective of a person that doesn't even like the franchise of course he's going to lash out at getting shit for a game he's not even covering.

As for paying for the game, why? They usually get keys for big games, in fact it's only the indie stuff that they sometimes pay for and again that's John who does so to show people games like Ion Fury, etc.

It's understandable that people have different tastes in gaming. But not loving this game and not covering it sound like an excuse to be honest for being pressured by the crazies not to cover this game. Look, I hate my job and most people do not like to work, but that doesn't stop me from not working. It's called being an adult and sucking it up to get paid. I won't cry over Twitter for how much I hate working.

It's their right not to want to cover their game, but it's also our right to not want to support such cowardly behaviors. We got opinions too and do not lump us with other crazy people on the other forum as most of us here are being civil about it.

Also, regarding paying for the game; nobody is entitled to get a free copy of the game. It's your job and you are getting income for covering games, not to forget the support they are getting from Patreon to cover games, especially the 800-pound gorilla in the room which is Harry Potter, one of the most popular games of 2023. Like I said, leaving money on the table by being woke and catering to the vocal minority on Twitter, and doing a disservice to the majority of your loyal audience to cater to the few.

Last edited:
Top Bottom