• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max orders "Harry Potter" series - all 7 books will be adapted over a period of 10 years.

I'm not a fan of Harry Potter and I don't even particularly care for the movies, but I don't see this succeeding. Anytime someone thinks of Harry Potter, they think of those actors from the movies.

Like I said, I'm not a fan but even I realize that those characters are iconic and how they are portrayed in the movies. Rebooting this as a television show, I don't see it working and the cast is going to be constantly compared to the original cast.

All in all, I think it's unnecessary and I think it would be better for JK Rowling and Warner Brothers to just go and make a new Wizarding World story that's not Harry Potter or Fantastic Beasts.

Well, actually you could do a Harry Potter movie where they're all adults and maybe training a new set of students or whatever at Hogwarts.

That's kind of what Cursed Child is.
Instead of rebooting with a huge amount of effort, they should have just went and expanded the universe.

I mean 10 years is a long goal and I just don't see them going through with this all the way. Again, when people think of Harry Potter they think of the movie actors and actresses who played those roles of those characters and I just see a reboot completely unnecessary.

Well, it's real and official now.

Rowling being involved as Executive Producer at least gives me hope feet will be held to fires that the source material will be respected. Hollywood in 2023 cannot be trusted without the actual creator in the room approving changes made, if any. I would demand that no changes be made whatsoever but I know better.

The remake cycle in Hollywood gets shorter and shorter, due to the complete absence of new ideas there besides wokeness. It's literally only been a decade since the movies were finished and they are already back at the well. I didn't think we'd be going back to Hogwarts so soon but let's see how they do I guess. They have a decade of hard work ahead of them, wrangling that many child actors from a young age to adulthood over the next 10 years isn't a job I would wish on anyone I actually liked.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The world JK Rowling created is huge and HBO would have had so many options. They could have done a sequel with cameos from the original cast. A series showing a young Tom Riddle. Something completely different like the first decades of Hogwarts or even another school in a different country, yet they decided to adapt the Harry Potter books again?!

Seems like a waste of time. We know this story from the books and films and although the films weren't a perfect adaptation, I don't see why we need the same story again.

It's a straight pass from me.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I think this is bad because it will fuck up all these young actors for such a commitment as leading roles with a filming schedule like that. Tons more work and set time then filming a movie.

gothmog

Gold Member
The world JK Rowling created is huge and HBO would have had so many options. They could have done a sequel with cameos from the original cast. A series showing a young Tom Riddle. Something completely different like the first decades of Hogwarts or even another school in a different country, yet they decided to adapt the Harry Potter books again?!

Seems like a waste of time. We know this story from the books and films and although the films weren't a perfect adaptation, I don't see why we need the same story again.

Hasn't Star Wars, LOTR, and Game of Thrones showed that making up side stories just kinda sucks? Sure you'll syphon some money off the name, but people are not as excited about prequels and sequels as they were. I think redoing the books in long form is much better than doing the continuing adventures of Harry Potter Jr.

That's what I've been seeing in my previous replies here above.

Plus, it's way too much of a huge task to have new actors play the same roles when the old actors are already very iconic. When people think of Harry Potter today, they think of the actors that portrayed those roles.

Plus you're going to have way too many people comparing the new actors with the old actors. This doesn't seem like a good idea and it's probably not going to work.

Esca

Will be cool to see and understand more of the Wizarding world as they flesh out everything since they'll have the time they need to do it. I loved learning more about the world in hogwarts legacy.
It's going to be interesting to see the cast line up, that's going to be a big factor i think since the movies cast is amazing. I feel for the casting crew lol
In the end I feel like the books don't need to be adapted again yet, it has not been that long since the list movie, that was life 12 years ago? Though the upside of adapting the books fully could really help to set up a much better foundation for a lot of other content in the world as it just came into my mind

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Give me Winky, S.P.E.W, Peeves, and the House of Gaunt.

I honestly can't wait for this. So many things to be fleshed out compared to the movies.

From the House of Gaunt, to Firenze the Centaur, to Peeves, to S.P.E.W, and much more of a focus on house elves, to Neville's parents at St Mungos, to Percy's indoctrination and betrayal of his family, etc.. etc.. etc..
To add to those:
  • All of the memories of Voldemort like applying to be a teacher and getting shut down by Dumbledore
  • Full Department of Mysteries
  • Everything from the moment Harry steps foot back in the castle in book 7, most notably when he feels utter rage at McGonagall being spat on and uses the Crutiatus Curse on a teacher, finally understanding what Bellatrix meant when she said you have to mean it
  • Full Snape dickhead like telling extra goofy Hermione there's no difference with her teeth being giant (which makes me wonder if they will be faithful to that transformation)
  • Dumbledore funeral, not just wand anti-smoke snake LED magic
  • Full Triwizard maze with creatures
That's what I've been seeing in my previous replies here above.

Plus, it's way too much of a huge task to have new actors play the same roles when the old actors are already very iconic. When people think of Harry Potter today, they think of the actors that portrayed those roles.

Plus you're going to have way too many people comparing the new actors with the old actors. This doesn't seem like a good idea and it's probably not going to work.
That will always happen with remakes, it's natural. If the casting is good, people will get over it. People said Joker couldn't be done because Heath Ledger was dead, but Phoenix went and did a great job. The closest comparison to that would be Snape, and if they depart from that and make him as slimey and unlikeable as he should be they willl be fine. It's also a chance at redemption for Ginny, which is a much lower bar.

I think they will be fine if they don't worry about backlash and make something that's fucking good. Hogwarts Legacy showed that the population doesn't really give a shit about internet controversy and the comparison of Rings of Power and House of Dragons showed the potential to do well or fuck it up, and to redeem a franchise that people had previously sworn off for whatever reason.

Make a good product and the people will buy it, simple as that. The only thing stopping the show being great is the studio and creators.

Last edited:

Jadsey

crushed noo GIF
I see they have cast their first Dementor

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Hasn't Star Wars, LOTR, and Game of Thrones showed that making up side stories just kinda sucks? Sure you'll syphon some money off the name, but people are not as excited about prequels and sequels as they were. I think redoing the books in long form is much better than doing the continuing adventures of Harry Potter Jr.

I won't go into how Star Wars, LOTR and A Song of Ice and Fire are not comparable. I'll focus on Harry Potter.

JK Rowling could help create new stories in this universe, so it wouldn't be some fan fiction side story. I've already given some examples, all of which would be far more interesting than rehashing the same story over and over again.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Hopefully they cast age appropriate actors for the adults. Gary Oldman, the dude who played Lupin, and Alan Rickman are all great actors. But their characters are supposed to be in their 30s

GymWolf

I don't have any faith but i'm gonna watch a couple of episode to see how much they fucked up.

It can't be worse than ring of power.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Hopefully they are not gonna do the casting like tlou serial did, i still laugh everytime i see forehead ellie...

Yo director, how different are the actors need to look compared to the source?
The director: YES.

Doesnt matter who they hire tho, it's going to be impossible to replace the OG's in everyones heads, no matter how good it is. They should've focused on something different, this is just more milking. Rowling wont give a shit whos cast as long as her pockets get bigger.

Melon Husk

I wouldn't call this a "remake" because it's a TV show. Whatever you call it, I don't mind. Remakes of the movies would be stupid indeed.

edit: the success of Hogwarts Legacy was probably a factor here
Pretty much. I don't think I need a 10 hour version of Chamber of Secrets.
In the worst case they'll pad it with made up B-plots involving Dumbledore or whatever

Last edited:

mxbison

I like Harry Potter but I think I've had enough for a while, Hogwarts Legacy already bored me pretty quickly.

Like every milked franchise it will eventually go bad.

DKehoe

It's weird that they're using the same music and font as the films. I get that it's still a Warner Bros thing and those are aspects that they have made iconic. But if they're doing a whole new version I'd like it to feel at least somewhat different than what they've already done before. But I guess they want to hit on that nostalgia.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Should simply make an animated series out of it or use deep fake kind of stuff and make them look like the kids in the OG movie.
They are going to fuck irl kids for life if they let them act in this. The hate they are going to face from a mad fanbase is going to be off the charts.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The book literally states what her skin color is, numerous times. Rowling tried to back track and virtue signalling claiming otherwise. She was proven wrong. This is not something that can be debated.
Yeah but it doesn't matter when you're adapting it. They can change whatever they want, really. And her skin colour won't affect the story.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You'll never recapture the sheer magic of films one and two, but a series could do justice to everything onwards. 4, 5, 6-1 and 6-2 were all varying degrees of a bit naff.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I'm not even sure MAX is gonna be here in 10 years... I like the world so let's see what they can achieve.

Fuck yeah! Please don't fuck it up like Cursed Child/Fantastic Beasts.

Seen so many people angry over this and I mean "Harry Potter fans". The movies ain't going anywhere so what's the big fucking deal? Go watch them if Daniel is Harry. I love HP so I'm up for it as long as it doesn't end up a woke political mess and of course that the writing/production is high quality and the books are faithfully adapted....UNLIKE THE MOVIES (excluding maybe 1-3, 7, and most of 8).

I take it this will no be happening for a good few years yet. I know i am giving shit to people for being all "no one will every replace Dan as Harry, Alan as Snape, Rupert as Ron, etc" but it will be hard to adjust to seeing some new kid being Harry Potter but it's been over 20 years since the first movie and 10 since the last. Get over it!!!

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I don‘t see how they could possibly stretch the first two books into full seasons, even if they‘re relatively short. The first movie in particular was a pretty faithful adaptation, with only a handful of scenes missing, and that was only 2.5 hours. Putting in the missing scenes and some additional stuff, I could see them maybe stretching the first season to 4 hours, 5 if they stretch it really hard, but not more than that. There simply isn’t enough interesting stuff happening in Harry‘s first year to fill a whole season. Though I guess they could do short 30 minute episodes to get the necessary number of episodes.

Oh, and Hermione will 100% be black. There‘s no way a major series like that gets greenlit these days without at least one poc main character, and the precedent for black!Hermione was already created by the Cursed Child play (with Rowling‘s blessing). Though I guess they could cast a lighter skinned mixed race girl as a compromise, like that chick from Spiderman and Dune (not that actress obviously, but someone who looks like that). That could check the necessary boxes without totally destroying the picture of Hermione that a lot of readers of the books and fans of the movies have in their heads.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Doesnt matter who they hire tho, it's going to be impossible to replace the OG's in everyones heads, no matter how good it is. They should've focused on something different, this is just more milking. Rowling wont give a shit whos cast as long as her pockets get bigger.
Everyone keeps saying this like it's fact. It seems impossible because you can't imagine it, but it's not like it hasn't been done before. Loved roles have been taken over and the world keeps turning.
Yeah but it doesn't matter when you're adapting it. They can change whatever they want, really. And her skin colour won't affect the story.
I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. If they want to make a faithful adaptation of the books in series form, then they have to go with faithful characters. Would race swapped anyone make a difference to the plot? In most cases no, you could have the entire cast be Aborigine but that isn't the point. In the story as told, they are who they are and that should be respected where possible. That doesn't just apply to Hermione, it also applies to Dean and Cho and whoever else.

They only accepted Harry not having Green eyes because they had already cast Daniel Radcliffe and didn't want to recast to find a kid who wasn't allergic to contacts when they liked DR so much.

Spaceman292

Banned
Everyone keeps saying this like it's fact. It seems impossible because you can't imagine it, but it's not like it hasn't been done before. Loved roles have been taken over and the world keeps turning.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong perspective. If they want to make a faithful adaptation of the books in series form, then they have to go with faithful characters. Would race swapped anyone make a difference to the plot? In most cases no, you could have the entire cast be Aborigine but that isn't the point. In the story as told, they are who they are and that should be respected where possible. That doesn't just apply to Hermione, it also applies to Dean and Cho and whoever else.

They only accepted Harry not having Green eyes because they had already cast Daniel Radcliffe and didn't want to recast to find a kid who wasn't allergic to contacts when they liked DR so much.
No one wants them to follow the books down to the letter. May as well just hire an actor to read the book to a camera for 45 hours.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Joker
Even if I didn't have an example, it wouldn't mean a retelling isn't worth it because people like the movies.

Fair but problem is, nowadays retellings, remakes, remasters, prequels, spin-offs for already established franchises are all what we're getting. Originality is dying. Risking is dying.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Fair but problem is, nowadays retellings, remakes, remasters, prequels, spin-offs for already established franchises are all what we're getting. Originality is dying. Risking is dying.
You're not wrong there mate. Are execs really that afraid of finding the next big thing? Everything is so safe, and safe gets old. I wonder when this bubble will burst. Marvel must be seeing the decline in MCU already

I get that the first movie was faithful to the books but people don't underestimate how much stuff was really left out the first book. I get even with a TV adaptation that some things won't work but Philsopher's Stone/Season 1 could EASILY have 8x 1 hour episodes. Nothing crazy about that. The movie was only about 2 and a half hours but the pacing is quite fast compared to the books. A lot is left out. They should take the time in the show to give more backstory to characters and put in as many scenes from the books as possible.

I'd say the first 8 chapters of the book could easily take up 5 episodes. The first book has 17 chapters so a 10 episode season isn't unreasonable.

Never got why people made a big deal of this and not the GoF film giving away the book's twist right at the very start.
It's not really as bad as people make it out to be. It's just a silly meme at this point.

yes he did ask calmly in the books but i get why the movie went the way it did. 1. gambon didn't really give a fuck about the source material (books) 2. dumbledore cared deeply about Harry and it wasn't part of his grand plan to have him be entered in the tournament (because it would risk his plan failing) so you can understand if he was angry that Harry, being a teenager, could have put himself into danger. 3) the movies want to be as dramatic as possible. having everyone including dumbledore angry at Harry being in the tournament (when you almost expect him to be in it as soon as it was announced) adds to the excitement of the movie. 4) only book readers care about it. if you've only seen the movie you wouldn't give a shit about the scene.

Pigenator

That game came out and WB quickly realized that they were sitting on a goldmine, didn't they? It's not that people left Potter because of Rowling, it's that people left Potter because the new movies were crap.
Despite what twitter wants people to think, the vast majority of people do not care about JKRs opinions and they just enjoy the world and characters she created.
Yeah the game is certainly a catalyst for this, seeing how incredibly successful it was.

The only "issue" with re-creating HP as an HBO show, is that people are going to have hard time re-adjusting to new actors. The movies' actors are so deeply associated with their respective characters it's like they are essentially them.
HBO gonna need some really good casting choices to get over that.

DKehoe

It's not really as bad as people make it out to be. It's just a silly meme at this point.

yes he did ask calmly in the books but i get why the movie went the way it did. 1. gambon didn't really give a fuck about the source material (books) 2. dumbledore cared deeply about Harry and it wasn't part of his grand plan to have him be entered in the tournament (because it would risk his plan failing) so you can understand if he was angry that Harry, being a teenager, could have put himself into danger. 3) the movies want to be as dramatic as possible. having everyone including dumbledore angry at Harry being in the tournament (when you almost expect him to be in it as soon as it was announced) adds to the excitement of the movie. 4) only book readers care about it. if you've only seen the movie you wouldn't give a shit about the scene.
Yeh, it's a choice about the delivery and either can work. So I don't really get why it's become the go-to example for things the films got wrong in adapting the books. Although like you said I get that it's more of a meme at this point.

Yeh, it's a choice about the delivery and either can work. So I don't really get why it's become the go-to example for things the films got wrong in adapting the books. Although like you said I get that it's more of a meme at this point.
Of all the things the movies fucked up that is the least of my concerns. The final battle in movie 8 was totally goofed up. After all those movies and 10 years they couldn't nail the story climax. but again they went for something more dramatic and exciting. Voldemort was meant to die a very boring death but the movies had to have Harry/Voldemort flying about and blasting shit out their wands at each other. The whole entire fucking point of Voldemort dying was that he was a not immortal but a broken human. He didn't need to vanish into confetti but simply drop to the ground dead like someone who had been shot.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I missed it but JK said she was never written as white, there were complaints about the casting of a black actress as Hermione in a stage play I never knew about.

She wrote herself as Hermione, I remember from an interview she did. She was just trying to pander to the wokies, which backfired when she decided she was not ok with the concept of woman being erased.

Edit: not getting into an argument, just clarifying.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

More witchcraft and wizardry is welcome. It's a seed for the soil. I finally watched DH2 last year and caught up with those movies, with the thought of watching FB. It seems a little soon, but it'll be for a new generation and might prompt other studios to raise the game with some enticing competition.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I don't have any faith but i'm gonna watch a couple of episode to see how much they fucked up.

It can't be worse than ring of power.
Maybe Rings of Power wouldn't be such a fucking shitshow if JRR was around as executive producer like JKR will be, which will ensure that all decisions will be based on staying true to the books.

Top Bottom