• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty: "We are in a unique position to spend Sony out of business"

GHG

Can't deny it is unorthodox and shady as hell that these agencies are shilling so hard for Sony. Corrupt as hell.

Serious The Four GIF by Diddy

Forget to switch accounts?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Yeah. I just feel like if we were looking at all of Sony’s internal emails we’d all be surprised at what we saw, too. So we’re really just putting Msoft under the microscope because we’re being shown all these emails written multiple years ago.

We got a taste in the Apple vs Epic lawsuit and it was juicy. They REALLY didn’t want crossplay to become popular.

Dane

You clearly don't understand how this works.

There is nothing against saying you're going to push the competition out by outperforming them.

Pushing them out by buying them out? That's when regulators get involved.

I mean, I'm sure you understand the difference and you're being purposefully obtuse...
Difference of what? That's what can do with the extra money they have, big entertainment companies like Disney, Paramount and Warner got a massive fast growth on their subscription services because of their money and IP arsenal + removing content from Netflix in a blink of an eye. Its nothing new in the industry

Last edited:
Difference of what? That's what can do with the extra money they have, big entertainment companies like Disney, Paramount and Warner got a massive fast growth on their subscription services because of their money and IP arsenal + removing content from Netflix in a blink of an eye. Its nothing new in the industry

LOL, that's literally the purpose of antitrust regulation.

They owned their content, they didn't buy significant content to remove from Netflix. The biggest purchase they let through was Disney buying Fox and even that faced regulators and criticism.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Ooof.. caught with the hand in the cookie jar.

Outspend yet still get outsold. Doesn't that say more about the power of Sony, that despite Microsoft having more money they have the industry weight of being bigger in ratio to gain better deals?
Of course not. The only results you have from Bethesda's acquisition are HiFi Rush and Redfall which are small fry. You can only infer the results of that acquisition when they get Starfield, Doom and Wolfenstein out for xbox and not playstation.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The same email again... from 2019 (neither Bethesda nor Zenimax were an option) Anyone who stops to read it can see that it is only describing the business opportunity in the face of the competition... Goggle was lagging behind, Amazon showed no intention of entering the market and it highlights how Sony is the great competition...

That the CMA and the IP judge herself already knew about it and did not take it into account should say everything.
Because they believed making games exclusive wouldn't hurt Sony..

THey did in fact say Microsoft could make xcloud games exclusive which would hurt competition.

ToadMan

Yeah. I just feel like if we were looking at all of Sony’s internal emails we’d all be surprised at what we saw, too. So we’re really just putting Msoft under the microscope because we’re being shown all these emails written multiple years ago.

MS is the one trying to buy ABK and doing it against the wishes of regulators in their two major markets for xbox.

They could have just backed out and avoided this PR disaster - they chose to press on all the way to court.

We all have a right to know what the court process produces.

Dane

LOL, that's literally the purpose of antitrust regulation.

They owned their content, they didn't buy significant content to remove from Netflix. The biggest purchase they let through was Disney buying Fox and even that faced regulators and criticism.
99% of what Disney had to disinvest was stuff they didn't want in the first place and had to "own" because News Corp didn't find a buyer at the time or didn't want to be bothered with that, and the entire thing was towards TV channels because that's a regulated media by FCC.

K2D

Banned
This is going to end in a settlement at best, isn't it..?

I'm honestly more surprised that the EU didn't manage to find a reason to block this deal.

Nydius

DUDE.

How is anyone still cheering on this company? Is it not a red flag to anyone that era is constantly up ms' butt? You know? The forum that thinks amber heard should have won?

What I’ve never understood about their support of this is they have a not-insignificant number of members who proudly describe themselves as pro-labor anti-capitalists.

So why the hell would they be in favor of THIS, a mega merger, one of the biggest kinds of capitalist moves that almost always ends up harming labor down the line?!?

Last edited:

nowhat

I'm honestly more surprised that the EU didn't manage to find a reason to block this deal.
Not commenting on this deal in particular, but when it comes to the EU, it seems that it can either be very proactive when it comes to deals like the ABK merger. Or just ignore them altogether.

(And this is not about non-EU companies vs. EU companies, both can get hit with similar scrutiny. And sometimes they don't. I'm not saying it's bribery, may be just the bureaucrats sorting through all this shit, the human factor and all that.)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And people were laughing and giving JIM Ryan shit for trying his hardest to get this deal stopped. Acting like him and Sony should just lay down and let it go through without putting up a fight. I hope you realize how dumb that sounded now.

This whole "MS are the good guys" "Play everything, everywhere" Kumbaya nonsense is nothing but fluff.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

I think you're assuming she didn't take it into account in the people's case against microsoft means that she won't take it into account in the FTC's case against Microsoft.

I think you're jumping to conclusions

Zodiac Virgo GIF by Hope
Of course, and the people who are saying that this email (which I remember is from 2019) is sufficient proof for the judge to decide against MS-ABK is not jumping to conclusions.... 🤣

This is going to end in a settlement at best, isn't it..?

The EU doesn't block deals like this because they like to fine US tech companies for billions of dollars every violation. For EU, it's a revenue stream. They aren't going to jeopardize this valuable revenue stream by blocking future violations like this acquisition.

And that, right there, is exactly why I’m against this merger and why everyone who can think critically should be as well.

Straight from the horse’s mouth: It’s never been about expanding gaming, it’s never been about better experiences for gamers, it’s ALWAYS been about Microsoft leveraging their vast finances to SHUT DOWN competitors.

Which is the absolute reason anti-trust laws exist.

images

And people were laughing and giving JIM Ryan shit for trying his hardest to get this deal stopped. Acting like him and Sony should just lay down and let it go through without putting up a fight. I hope you realize how dumb that sounded now.

This whole "MS are the good guys" "Play everything, everywhere" Kumbaya nonsense is nothing but fluff.

Gamers who have access to Xbox First party games: Anybody with an Xbox, PC, or device with a web browser

Gamers who have access to Playstation First party games: Anybody with a Playstation, and some games at a later date on PC

Of all the things to bitch about you picked the category where Xbox is clearly the good guys.

You’re right that all corporations are scum and shouldn’t be regarded as our friends. But this is under the microscope because Microsoft is trying to make good on their plans of buying up the industry and regulators are looking into it, as they should.

As others have pointed out, the critical difference is Microsoft has more cash on hand than Sony’s entire company is worth. Or, put another way, Sony is worth 0.12T, Microsoft is worth $2.6T (or was the last report $2.8T?).

This email isn’t just scummy, it proves they’re leveraging that massive difference to stifle competition.
I've seen people talking about how is morally correct for Ms to buy as many studios as they want because they can't compete against Sony in the "high end consoles market"
Like it was some sort of David vs Goliath situation
Sony's market value is just 4,62% of Ms market value ffs

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yikes. The optic is bad. Really bad. Before I was thinking the email was more hyperbolic in nature. But no, the email is very detailed and methodical. And that word "spend" is the real stinger. Forget about the gaming industry, this type of language should've been banned decades ago under Microsoft's internal corporate policies, considering their history with regulators. Regardless of whether you're for or against the merger, there is no logical defense or reasoning for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom