• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty confirms Bethesda/Xbox combined E3 conference

CeeJay

Doesn’t change what exclusive means. When you need to type 2 sentences to explain it’s exclusivity it aint that. You don’t need an xbox to play these games when they release. You need a Switch to play the next Zelda and you need a PS to play the next GoW. It’s that simple.
Exclusive to Xbox...

why do it in 2 sentences when you can do it in 3 words, it's that simple...

Deal with it, Xbox is no longer just a console. It's a service available across multiple devices including consoles. Please just update your understanding of what the word means instead of repeating the same thing time after time. You are sounding more and more like an old man "In my day the Xbox was a console under the television not this newfangle thing I can play on my phone or PC".

Starfield

Starfield Trailer this E3 with multiple trailer/info drops throughout the rest of the year leading into E3 2022 where Todd will give his "one demo".
Think of Fallout 3 marketing/reveal. They're going to follow the same type

(note: this is a prediction, not a leak)

FrankWza

Gold Member
Please just update your understanding of what the word means
The word means what it means. Come up with another term or leave it to their marketing department. These games aren’t exclusive to xbox. You don’t need an an xbox to play them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Massive blowback from who? People who wouldn't buy an Xbox if their life depended on it?

FFS.

From existing fans of these established previously multi-platform franchises, who rightfully would feel slighted that they are now being strongarmed into another platform ecosystem to get the latest instalment. Not to mention may already have made their choice of platform of preference and might not feel like spending a load of cash on buying a new system for a single game.

Its not good business, because you will never ever get a 100% user conversion rate, lessening the value of the franchise, and devaluing the purchase.

With something like Starfield - a new IP- this isn't a consideration, and so its a much more likely approach.

Nothing is impossible, obviously, but I'm just taking a pragmatic view. A business-minded view without personal, emotional attachment to the outcome.

Understand why practices like timed-exclusivity are commonplace:

That route gets the marketing focus on the "exclusive" property, and thus the bulk of sales and mindshare uplift to the target platform - without mitigating that value by having to underwrite all monies and brand-value lost by limiting the addressable market.

With GamePass day#1 exclusivity this becomes an even more persuasive strategy because ultimately GamePass engagement and unit sales are entirely different revenue streams. If they get someone to sign up to GP for a year to play the next Elder Scrolls, the job is done. Because ideally they'll want to sell it, and earn from it long after its driver potential for the service has faded to insignificance. By offering it then to the market beyond, they get to increase their return on investment whilst further embedding the value proposition of GamePass as a service.

CeeJay

The word means what it means. Come up with another term or leave it to their marketing department. These games aren’t exclusive to xbox. You don’t need an an xbox to play them.
Like I said, this is a you problem. You are out of touch with what Xbox actually is nowadays.

Xbox - Wikipedia

"Xbox is a video gaming brand created and owned by Microsoft. The brand consists of five video game consoles, as well as applications (games), streaming services, an online service by the name of Xbox network, and the development arm by the name of Xbox Game Studios. The brand was first introduced in the United States in November 2001, with the launch of the original Xbox console."

Riky

$MSFT

I'm sure they already use the term "console exclusive".

GuinGuin

Banned
I don't have to explain shit to you. Use your own brain.

While you do that, count the number of exclusives they released on Playstation that aren't named Minecraft.

Psychonauts 2 hasn't been released yet but it is coming to Playstation three years after Microsoft purchased Doublefine.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
Like I said, this is a you problem. You are out of touch with what Xbox actually is nowadays.

Xbox - Wikipedia

"Xbox is a video gaming brand created and owned by Microsoft. The brand consists of five video game consoles, as well as applications (games), streaming services, an online service by the name of Xbox network, and the development arm by the name of Xbox Game Studios. The brand was first introduced in the United States in November 2001, with the launch of the original Xbox console."
An xbox is a console. You don’t need it to play these games. These services have other names. We still don’t know what everything will be called or if it will be rebranded. When you add the word and, that ends the exclusivity. These games are NOT exclusive to xbox. You can play some PS games on pc, the ones that you cannot you need a PS system to play on. That is an exclusive. Ratchet is exclusive. There’s no explanation disclaimer or added statements. If everything in that Wikipedia description is accurate and xbox has a new definition that includes pc, why can’t you play Microsoft flight simulator on one of your xbox consoles?
I'm sure they already use the term "console exclusive".
Of course. Sony is using it with Deathloop because it’s also available on pc. You don’t need a PS5 to play it. When they change the name it will probably be an xbox services exclusive or gamepass services exclusive or whatever.

CeeJay

An xbox is a console. You don’t need it to play these games. These services have other names. We still don’t know what everything will be called or if it will be rebranded. When you add the word and, that ends the exclusivity. These games are NOT exclusive to xbox. You can play some PS games on pc, the ones that you cannot you need a PS system to play on. That is an exclusive. Ratchet is exclusive. There’s no explanation disclaimer or added statements. If everything in that Wikipedia description is accurate and xbox has a new definition that includes pc, why can’t you play Microsoft flight simulator on one of your xbox consoles?

Of course. Sony is using it with Deathloop because it’s also available on pc. You don’t need a PS5 to play it. When they change the name it will probably be an xbox services exclusive or gamepass services exclusive or whatever.
We are going around in circles here. I have provided evidence in the way of the Wikipedia page for Xbox which is the general widely understood meaning for the word today which itself has evidence straight from the Microsoft execs around the term. If you disregard all this 100% factual information as wrong then there is going to be no reasonable discussion.

But I will finish by saying that it is YOU that is wrong on this point and anecdotally the majority of the world would seem to agree.

SLB1904

Banned
That would mean games like Halo and Fable would come to Gamepass on PS5. That won't happen. Otherwise everyone would just buy a PS5 to get all exclusive from Sony as well as the MS first party games. No need for Xbox at that point. That won't happen.
You dont need xbox now.

Papacheeks

Banned
Honestly if you have a capable pc no one is missing anything on Xbox. Specifically Bethesda titles.

Only thing I really want a series x for is my old xb-360 collection.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Gold Member
I have provided evidence in the way of the Wikipedia
This isn’t a source of anything. Wikipedia is not official in any way.
straight from the Microsoft execs around the term.
They can market it however they wish. The word means what it means. There is no exclusive game here. You don’t need an xbox to play it. You can play it on one of many different devices and device types. Even calling it a console exclusive isn’t applicable since there may be cross gen games. When xbox decided they were going to use the pc install base to leverage their big purchase and to subsidize gamepass deals, they lost exclusives. They won’t release on Nintendo or PS consoles, but they aren’t exclusive. It doesn’t work both ways.

GuinGuin

Banned
You have to be trolling at this point. Psychonauts 2 is crowdfunded game and Doublefine promised PS4 version to it's backers years before they were purchased by MS. They HAVE TO release it on PS4.

Did they HAVE TO release Ori on Switch or did they choose to?

GuinGuin

Banned
There will always be exceptions to the rule, it doesn't make it any less the rule.

It makes it not a rule which is why Phil Spencer saying that "There are communities of players. We love those communities and will continue to invest in them. And even in the future there might be things that have either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we will go do." and "Gamepass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC."

So that basically sums it up. Some will be exclusives. Some won't be. Unless Microsoft makes the announcement themselves we won't know which will be and which won't be. There is also the possibility that they later change their minds and port games over later as well.

Last edited:

CeeJay

It makes it not a rule which is why Phil Spencer saying that "There are communities of players. We love those communities and will continue to invest in them. And even in the future there might be things that have either contractual things or legacy on different platforms that we will go do." and "Gamepass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC."

So that basically sums it up. Some will be exclusives. Some won't be. Unless Microsoft makes the announcement themselves we won't know which will be and which won't be. There is also the possibility that they later change their minds and port games over later as well.
I don't know what you want to hear then because a lot of you certainly don't want to hear what is being said. You would rather run around in circles chasing your tails and arguing with reasonable people over the imaginary loop holes that you are studying every official comment and statement to find.

How about every Xbox game is coming to every device and every eco-system including Apple Mac and Linux until they say otherwise on a case by case basis? If you want to go down that route then be prepared for a lot of disappointment to come. Even then you will swear that these games are timed and to give it 6 months, a year, 2 years, 3 ,4 or a generation before these games end up on Playstation. It doesn't matter about the exceptions such as Minecraft or Ori, it's clear that Microsoft are going to put the games when and where they want when it make sense and where it gives them a strategic advantage or conversely when it doesn't move the needle. With this in mind, you can bet that the games that you want the most to come to Playstation will be the ones that will be the least likely. You want it to be black and white when in reality it's more dynamic than that and i'm sure that Microsoft are simply avoiding definitive statements in favour of giving themselves flexibility in an unknown future state.

GuinGuin

Banned
I don't know what you want to hear then because a lot of you certainly don't want to hear what is being said. You would rather run around in circles chasing your tails and arguing with reasonable people over the imaginary loop holes that you are studying every official comment and statement to find.

How about every Xbox game is coming to every device and every eco-system including Apple Mac and Linux until they say otherwise on a case by case basis? If you want to go down that route then be prepared for a lot of disappointment to come. Even then you will swear that these games are timed and to give it 6 months, a year, 2 years, 3 ,4 or a generation before these games end up on Playstation. It doesn't matter about the exceptions such as Minecraft or Ori, it's clear that Microsoft are going to put the games when and where they want when it make sense and where it gives them a strategic advantage or conversely when it doesn't move the needle. With this in mind, you can bet that the games that you want the most to come to Playstation will be the ones that will be the least likely. You want it to be black and white when in reality it's more dynamic than that and i'm sure that Microsoft are simply avoiding definitive statements in favour of giving themselves flexibility in an unknown future state.

You're saying I'm wrong but agreeing with what I said.... I literally just said we won't know which games will be exclusive and which won't until Microsoft makes an announcement. I'm not assuming anything about any games.

CeeJay

You're saying I'm wrong but agreeing with what I said.... I literally just said we won't know which games will be exclusive and which won't until Microsoft makes an announcement. I'm not assuming anything about any games.
I didn't think i needed to put an /s once i'd mentioned Xbox games coming to Apple Mac!

Andodalf

Banned
Starfield Trailer this E3 with multiple trailer/info drops throughout the rest of the year leading into E3 2022 where Todd will give his "one demo".
Think of Fallout 3 marketing/reveal. They're going to follow the same type

(note: this is a prediction, not a leak)

No way, that would make this the first BGS game at 2 E3s

FrankWza

Gold Member
I know it's your preferred way to cope, but you're overplaying it.
So what’s Ratchet on PS5 only? A super exclusive. A super duper exclusive? There’s no other word. The zeni games are xbox console exclusive also available on pc and…
That’s not the same. You see the difference? There you go

Like anyone,
So what’s Ratchet on PS5 only? A super exclusive. A super duper exclusive? There’s no other word. The zeni games are xbox console exclusive also available on pc and…
That’s not the same. You see the difference? There you go

Microsoft and Bethesda want you to play on Xbox, PC and likely other devices via the cloud. Microsoft is making sure you can't play on Playstation. However you want to define what's happening, you will not be able to play the game on any consoles not called Xbox, which is the whole point.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Like anyone,

Microsoft and Bethesda want you to play on Xbox, PC and likely other devices via the cloud. Microsoft is making sure you can't play on Playstation. However you want to define what's happening, you will not be able to play the game on any consoles not called Xbox, which is the whole point.
Right. Or Nintendo. I’m not arguing that. I’ve made this exact point. When you need a paragraph to define something there’s your difference. Ratchet rift apart is a PS5 exclusive. Animal crossing whatever is a switch exclusive. You don’t need to add anything or redefine it. You just can’t do that with the zeni games or halo. That’s part of the fallout of joining forces with another platform install base.

Blond

Banned
E3 is gonna hurt the PS5 owners, all the Bethesda goodness is going to be hard to miss out on.
I just want them to fucking say it flat out so we can stop these damn arguments. All these back and forth claims and now Zenimax publishing apparently “not being touched.” Just adds more to it. I have both so I don’t really give a damn but they keep giving answers that go back and forth.
I refuse to believe that is a real name.
I grew with a first generation Vietnamese guy named Phoc Yu Cai in the 90s and you can guess how well that went over.

Blond

Banned
My fellow Sony Pony’s really need to stop inhaling the copium and either sell their PS5 and buy an Xbox or get both like me because this shit is sad.

Keep thinking that, its positive. However, before you missed out on 5 studios easy right? Now its 23 and their could be more. Still feeling fine? You thought PSO2 was bad you haven't seen bad yet. No Game Pass, no games it's that simple.
I didn't think it was possible to put this much projection into a single comment.

Dude if watching Sony shows for the past 7 years has been this insufferable for you just get a Playstation...

Exclusive to Xbox...

why do it in 2 sentences when you can do it in 3 words, it's that simple...

Deal with it, Xbox is no longer just a console. It's a service available across multiple devices including consoles. Please just update your understanding of what the word means instead of repeating the same thing time after time. You are sounding more and more like an old man "In my day the Xbox was a console under the television not this newfangle thing I can play on my phone or PC".
You're correct, I'm looking forward to when Microsoft stops making consoles, might make Gamepass cheaper too.

GuinGuin

Banned
You're correct, I'm looking forward to when Microsoft stops making consoles, might make Gamepass cheaper too.

While not losing money on every console would be a boon for them obviously the name of the game is to make money so Gamepass is only going up in price.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Right. Or Nintendo. I’m not arguing that. I’ve made this exact point. When you need a paragraph to define something there’s your difference. Ratchet rift apart is a PS5 exclusive. Animal crossing whatever is a switch exclusive. You don’t need to add anything or redefine it. You just can’t do that with the zeni games or halo. That’s part of the fallout of joining forces with another platform install base.

You are right Frank, you can play xbox games on a console or pc. You seem to express a lot of energy telling the world this. Everyone knows that the games are owned by Microsoft and will be available on the xbox and PC under Xbox games.

Anyway, is there a date for the conference yet? I'm starving for some news.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
ok now MS conference will be interesting to watch. no offense but for past few years it is pale compared to its rival. hope bethesda has something to spice up the conference.
What rival are you referring to? Sony hasn't been there since that embarrassing mess featuring 2 lesbians making out, LONG breaks to move the audience around, flute guy, a fake journalist panel, It was the worst conference I've ever seen and the laughingstock E3 2018.

GuinGuin

Banned
What rival are you referring to? Sony hasn't been there since that embarrassing mess featuring 2 lesbians making out, LONG breaks to move the audience around, flute guy, a fake journalist panel, It was the worst conference I've ever seen and the laughingstock E3 2018.
They featured 3 amazing games in an in depth way that went far beyond simply playing a trailer and hoping for applause. I think they realized afterwards that gaming "journalists" weren't necessary to convey their intent to gamers and thus they now hold their own live and virtual events directly addressing their audience.

twilo99

How I see it, Xbox is no longer a console anymore. Microsoft has effectively turned Xbox into an "APP".

Its an app, that is also a console for those who wish to have that.

I have a PC, but I also have an xbox thanks to gamepass, and the whole xbox game bar integration.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
They featured 3 amazing games in an in depth way that went far beyond simply playing a trailer and hoping for applause. I think they realized afterwards that gaming "journalists" weren't necessary to convey their intent to gamers and thus they now hold their own live and virtual events directly addressing their audience.

Wow, I see you've been here 4 whole days and already have almost 100 posts either shilling super hard for Sony or trolling Xbox. Great job soldier.

Blond

Banned
Just buy an Xbox Series S if you're really concerned about not getting the games on playstation, they're only 200 quid
200 quid is apparently too expensive for a lot of these guys but not 2,000 dollar TVs, 7.1 surround systems and those gaming PCs they all claim to have. Maybe they maxed out their credit limit?

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
Wow, I see you've been here 4 whole days and already have almost 100 posts either shilling super hard for Sony or trolling Xbox. Great job soldier.

Huh? Don't call people names, it's rude. If you want to talk embarrassing E3 moments there are faaaaar more embarrassing things than getting artsy with your presentation. Jaime Kennedy showing up drunk and trashing gamers, other wtf celeb appearances like Trump "shilling" for Xbox.

Tal Blevins from IGN getting a boner talking to Morgan Webb.

And let's not forget Ravi Drums

it-looks-like-nintendo-is-working-on-a-wii-music-sequel-140083740693.gif

Top Bottom