• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matt Booty confirms Bethesda/Xbox combined E3 conference

Bergoglio

“Microsoft doesn't want its studios to create games based on what might work best on Game Pass. A priori, Xbox should therefore not follow the path of Netflix and the advanced analysis of viewing data.”

But Ginbo said that only A/AA/indie games on pass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the show will be longer? Or same time slot.

If it’s the same time slot it might be good news and they can get rid of filler.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Agreed with the possibility that new Ratchet and Clank is going to be on PC anything goes…
Nah I'm talking about ms going multiplat in the past few years. And judging by the epic trial is not on playstation because sony dont want

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
HOLY FUCKING SHIT
Phill literally said himself that Bethesda games will be available only "on platforms where GamePass is available".
It's time to accept that Bethesda games will not be available on PS5.

I've got nothing to "accept" because I don't have a dog in this fight.

I don't have a PS5 and do not, and have literally never, bought a Bethesda product. The outcome is completely irrelevant to me, personally, and I'm just judging based on the messaging and my years of experience in the business.

I'm not going to be upset in the slightest whichever way it goes, and I'm not dealing in prophecy here. I'm just reading into what's been said, and more importantly, what hasn't been said.

As per usual "only" isn't necessarily a permanent state. Look back at past marketing from either Sony or MS and you'll see typically that when exclusivity is timed, they talk around the fact in order to help drive sales up in the short-term.

Honestly, hasn't the whole "we believe in generations"/"we don't believe in generations" thing not convinced you that taking PR statements as written-in-stone absolutes isn't a smart idea?

CeeJay

As per usual "only" isn't necessarily a permanent state. Look back at past marketing from either Sony or MS and you'll see typically that when exclusivity is timed, they talk around the fact in order to help drive sales up in the short-term.
When has first party exclusivity EVER been in question though?

Both Xbox and Bethesda have tried to tell you that they are now first party and will not be available elsewhere, I don't know how this message is not believed and people are still looking for the imaginary loophole in what's been said.

kuncol02

Banned

I don't have a PS5 and do not, and have literally never, bought a Bethesda product. The outcome is completely irrelevant to me, personally, and I'm just judging based on the messaging and my years of experience in the business.

I'm not going to be upset in the slightest whichever way it goes, and I'm not dealing in prophecy here. I'm just reading into what's been said, and more importantly, what hasn't been said.

Honestly, hasn't the whole "we believe in generations"/"we don't believe in generations" thing not convinced you that taking PR statements as written-in-stone absolutes isn't a smart idea?
You sound really angry for someone who "don't have a dog in this fight".

let it go GIF

<<Head of Xbox Phil Spencer noted that there are certain contractual obligations for titles to still come to other platforms, undoubtedly referring to Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo, which are timed PS5 console exclusives.

Outside of these contractual exceptions, Spencer offered a statement that seems pretty clear moving ahead."...if you're an Xbox customer, the thing I want you to know is this is about delivering great exclusive games for you that ship on platforms where Game Pass exists, and that's our goal," Spencer said.>>

I have no idea how anyone can have any doubts after that statement.
Because right after that Spencer then says:

Spencer also clarified that Xbox has games on other platforms--such as Minecraft--that continue to be supported. Bethesda games will fall into this similar category, as Spencer noted that the company "loves those communities [of players] and will continue to invest in them."

It's like he puts things clear then smudges the ink all over afterwards. You can't deny it does create confusion since we can't say for *sure* which games in the future will fall into the "continuing to invest in those Non-Game Pass platforms". He also says on the french article that they don't meddle with Bethesda's publishing, that could also mean Bethesda has the final say on which platforms they want to publish on.

kuncol02

Banned
Because right after that Spencer then says:

Spencer also clarified that Xbox has games on other platforms--such as Minecraft--that continue to be supported. Bethesda games will fall into this similar category, as Spencer noted that the company "loves those communities [of players] and will continue to invest in them."

It's like he puts things clear then smudges the ink all over afterwards. You can't deny it does create confusion since we can't say for *sure* which games in the future will fall into the "continuing to invest in those Non-Game Pass platforms". He also says on the french article that they don't meddle with Bethesda's publishing, that could also mean Bethesda has the final say on which platforms they want to publish on.

It's about existing games like Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls Online, or even Doom Eternal.

Face Palm No GIF

At this point your posts sound like praying to hopefully get the outcome you desperately wanted. You literally ignore the direct quote from Phil about delivering exclusives only to platforms where Game Pass exists and use some old out of context quotes from an interview.
He can say deliver exclusive games to platforms where GP exists. But he didn't say "Only" and he didn't say ALL the games would be exclusive. I'm aware this is a stretch, just keep it clean since you and some people add more words to what he actually said. This French article states they leave the publishing decisions to Bethesda, and that creates more confusion.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
He can say deliver exclusive games to platforms where GP exists. But he didn't say "Only" and he didn't say ALL the games would be exclusive. I'm aware this is a stretch, just keep it clean since you and some people add more words to what he actually said. This French article states they leave the publishing decisions to Bethesda, and that creates more confusion.
He first said that he will honor existing contracts(Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo) and keep supporting existing "legacy games" on other platforms(ESO and Fallout 76). Thats why he didn't say "all". There are always outliers like Alpha Dog Games. He can't say "all" with all those variables. Also, calling a game exclusive means it is "only" on their platform, their are no ifs about them being multiplat because they didnt say "only".

NickFire

- Microsoft does not touch Bethesda's "publishing" services (marketing, sales, communication, overseas offices, etc.) and does not want to impose its own teams.
- Priority: leave studios their creative freedom (this applies to all other studio acquisitions by Xbox)
- Microsoft doesn't want its studios to create games based on what might work best on Game Pass. A priori, Xbox should therefore not follow the path of Netflix and the advanced analysis of viewing data.

The implication(s) I take from these claims is impossible for me to believe. Are we really to believe MS won't make any publishing decisions and/or expect the acquisitions to fit their operations into MS top-down primary goal / strategy? I feel like that is being suggested, and in my opinion there's just no way those are both true. Just my opinion of course.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

You're right. Only this time put $7.5 billion dollars in front of Bethesda and it changes things a little bit. Don't you agree? Holy shit, dude!

elliot5

- Microsoft does not touch Bethesda's "publishing" services (marketing, sales, communication, overseas offices, etc.) and does not want to impose its own teams.
- Priority: leave studios their creative freedom (this applies to all other studio acquisitions by Xbox)
- Microsoft doesn't want its studios to create games based on what might work best on Game Pass. A priori, Xbox should therefore not follow the path of Netflix and the advanced analysis of viewing data.

The implication(s) I take from these claims is impossible for me to believe. Are we really to believe MS won't make any publishing decisions and/or expect the acquisitions to fit their operations into MS top-down primary goal / strategy? I feel like that is being suggested, and in my opinion there's just no way those are both true. Just my opinion of course.
why would Microsoft come in and fuck up operations and clean house when they're in place and working well enough as-is. They may have head meetings to align on things, but not micromanage how trailers are made, localization works, etc, which is what I understand their strategy to be.

NickFire

why would Microsoft come in and fuck up operations and clean house when they're in place and working well enough as-is. They may have head meetings to align on things, but not micromanage how trailers are made, localization works, etc, which is what I understand their strategy to be.
I never said they would micro-manage a trailer. I stated what the implications were that I took from the collective statements (as reported in this thread at least, which I guess should have been more clear), and find them impossible to believe.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I never said they would micro-manage a trailer. I stated what the implications were that I took from the collective statements (as reported in this thread at least, which I guess should have been more clear), and find them impossible to believe.
Microsoft in general now tries not to interfere into everything they have bought since Mojang. That seems to be working out really good for them like Github and LinkedIn.

should be an actual awesome show for xbox in a long time! their events have been pretty weak for such a long time. im genuinely excited to see what they show now.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
When has first party exclusivity EVER been in question though?

Minecraft, post Mojang purchase. Discuss.

Even if they left the original game multi-plat, what was the incentive for the spin-offs?

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Jesus, a full page of Booty jokes lol. How old are you gaf?
Going by a bunch of console warring threads here, late 30's, early 40's for the most part.

Edit: I actually made a thread asking this a couple years ago. A lot has changed since then though.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Console war aside, I think most of us can't wait to see what Bethesda have been cooking for all this time!

The day we are going to get the first gameplay trailer and release date, people will go mad.

Each elder scrolls is an event for the video game industry, it redefines the role playing genre and gamers play these game to death for years!

It's a series worth buying whatever console for or PC parts to get it running.

Last edited:
Top Bottom