• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Casey Hudson confirms the development of a new episode

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
mass-effect-1-header.jpg

The N7 Day, which allows each year to celebrate the Mass Effect license, allowed BioWare to announce the return of the original trilogy under the name of Mass Effect: Legendary Edition.
However, BioWare boss Casey Hudson had something else up his sleeve. In the article allowing the public to discover the remaster of the first three games of the license, Casey Hudson declares that a team of veterans was starting work on a new opus of Mass Effect.
However, we will have to be very patient, since the project still seems to be in an embryonic state:
Meanwhile, here at BioWare, an experienced team is working tirelessly to bring the next chapter in the Mass Effect saga to life. We're still in the early stages of the project and can't tell you more at this point, but we'll be happy to share our vision with you as soon as possible.

First artwork:
me-blog-image-me-n7-announce.jpg.adapt.crop16x9.1455w.jpg

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Man you have posted this in every thread about mass effect I have been in the last 24 hours. I hope whatever andromeda did to you will allow you to recover some day. I will drink a glass of scotch in your honor and health.
I know right, that's how much damage it cost me, wild think is that I forgot almost everything in past 5 or so years, but still remember Andromeda. Cruel world.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I could not care less about a remaster of the original trilogy having recently replayed it on the X1X. A NEW game with Casey Hudson back at Bioware OTOH, makes me cautiously super excited.

Ascend

I really want to beat Andromeda. Was it that bad?
The recent Steam reviews should give you a pretty unbiased view of the game.

My take? It's an OK game with too much filler. Starts out quite well but then drags on and on and on and ooooon and ooooooooooooooooooooooon and oooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnn and OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
And then it amounts to nothing.

The gameplay is the best in the series though.

AJUMP23

I could not get past the intro to Andromeda. Maybe I will try again when EAPLAY joins gamepass. But I just didn’t care for it. I wonder if my impressions were tainted by all the reviews.

I love ME and I hope a new story in the universe is amazing. I think it has some of the best world building in all of Sci-fi.

I don’t even think it has to be a world ending threat to fight, just a fun adventure to figure out how to stop the bad guy or save a species whose world may explode.
I am worried they will make the bad guy Tronald Drump.

Ascend

I could not get past the intro to Andromeda. Maybe I will try again when EAPLAY joins gamepass. But I just didn’t care for it. I wonder if my impressions were tainted by all the reviews.

I love ME and I hope a new story in the universe is amazing. I think it has some of the best world building in all of Sci-fi.

I don’t even think it has to be a world ending threat to fight, just a fun adventure to figure out how to stop the bad guy or save a species whose world may explode.
I am worried they will make the bad guy Tronald Drump.
It probably was. The first 10 hours were fine to me. It's afterwards that it becomes really dreadful. Although I did think that the intro was unoriginal. It was structurally ME2 with a new code of paint.

Kill it.

ME2 was middling
you shit the bed with ME3
Andromeda is a meme.

Release the remake, then let it die. Put your energy in to DA4, as you have a better track record.

ME5 or whatever, will just be a straight up run and gun, Gears of War style shooter with "RPG" elements, which we all know in todays world means LEEVLING UP!!!1!!!!!1!!! as a trojan horse for MTX.

timmyp53

Andromeda wasn't the disaster that the internet made it out to be. Id give it a 6/10 personally. Good rental.

Looking forward to a new engine.
They need to really land the character models and animations this time though.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Andromeda was the nadir of the franchise.....the game was in glitch heaven, but not only that, re-spawning enemies is a BIG NO-NO for me, literally it was a case of no sooner did you defeat one of those big beasts that run amok trying to attack you, another one literally drops from the sky and you are like wtf? The Rover has no defensive capabilities like the ones that were in the trilogy....(in terms of weaponry) character models looked like they could have been done on PS3, we can only hope lessons have been learnt for Mass Effect 5! Anyway with this news of the the legendary edition, its also made my decision on how soon I purchase the PS5! :messenger_sunglasses:

Moogle11

Banned
Despite all the issues I have enjoyed Andromeda. By the end of the game I really wanted to know more about that universe.

Same. Glitches and boring open world parts aside, I still had a blast with the gameplay/combat and liked the characters. Main plot was just ok, but I really liked most of the character sidequests and some of the story driven other side quests (just hated all the fetch quest, repetitive ones, but those were mostly in one section of the quest log and easy to ignore for the most part.

That said, I've long since accepted I just have pretty low standards when it comes to entertainment. I have a nice balance of disposable income and free time (not having kids helps a ton on both fronts!) and would be bored and out of content if I was too picky since I don't like replaying/rewatchings or endless games like MP things etc. *shrugs*

Anyway, I'm down for another Mass Effect game whether it be a reboot, sequel unrelated to Andromeda or an Andromeda sequel. There's really nothing else that scratches that space opera with good characters and fun combat itch for me.

Cato

Banned
Please no.
Bioware is a talentless shadow of what they were a decade ago. I don;t want them to further soil one of the classic series.

It was shit.

Kill shephard just to immediately respawn him,

even though it was impossible and could only be done once?
The collectors appeared in that game, then were never talked about again

and what was with

The terminator as the last boss?

Not to mention your Psi powers or whatever they were called, couldn't be used on enemies with certain shields, making a non-run and gun character largely pointless.

Oh and adding magazines rather than cool downs on weapons?

The more i type the more comes flooding back and pisses me off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Mass effect 2 was the turning point for 3rd person RPG's. They went from Jade empire, Mass effect and Dragon age (proper rpgs) to faux RPG's that were just run and gun shooters

Last edited:

Senua

It was shit.

Kill shephard just to immediately respawn him,

even though it was impossible and could only be done once?
The collectors appeared in that game, then were never talked about again

and what was with

The terminator as the last boss?

Not to mention your Psi powers or whatever they were called, couldn't be used on enemies with certain shields, making a non-run and gun character largely pointless.

Oh and adding magazines rather than cool downs on weapons?

The more i type the more comes flooding back and pisses me off :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Edit: Mass effect 2 was the turning point for 3rd person RPG's. They went from Jade empire, Mass effect and Dragon age (proper rpgs) to faux RPG's that were just run and gun shooters
Dude i can't even argue with most of this I haven't played it in about 6 years but I remember loving the piss out of it at release, I completely agree it was watered down from ME1 on the RPG side of things which was a huge bummer but they absolutely nailed the RPG lite/action shooter whatever the fuck it was they went for, game was seriously fun and characters were so good

Dude i can't even argue with most of this I haven't played it in about 6 years but I remember loving the piss out of it at release, I completely agree it was watered down from ME1 on the RPG side of things which was a huge bummer but they absolutely nailed the RPG lite/action shooter whatever the fuck it was they went for, game was seriously fun and characters were so good
Can't argue with that. The characters were mint and the story, while non-sensical in the world of ME, was well written.

I was pissed off at ME2 because i couldn't play space mage. I loved throwing enemies about in ME1

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Well, who knows? With them releasing the remaster they may go back to their old strengths and make it like the first one again. One man can dream, no?

Playing Fallen Order right now and although it feels loke it could have used some more polishing, it‘s a decent game. Who‘d have guessed from EA?

renzolama

How could Bioware possibly make a new Mass Effect when they've got all of their developers working feverishly for almost two years now on the update that will completely fix Anthem?

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Take ME2 and modernize a few elements such as no jump and other stuff and it's a perfect RPG. Time to return to form Bioware!
Dragon Age will be an indicator of whether they can come back though.

If EA is dedicated to this investment, they will hire experience creators. Mass Effect will be great if EA wants to make it great.
That has literally never happened for EA. What are you basing your statement on? Give me an actual example. And i am not talking about back when EA was called Electronic Arts, that was a very different kind of company.

Top Bottom