• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 was so rushed and unfinished yet no one talks about it?

Papa_Wisdom

I encountered so many bugs, I thought it was a bethesda game. They didn't have time to evolve the gameplay or fix bugs but they had time to inject a shitload of ultra woke NPCs and sidequests though. Did you know that if you're bi and end up in a "hetero-normative" relationship you're contributing to "bi-erasure"? Neither did I until a Spider-man 2 NPC told me.
aUKGJQA.png

ByWatterson

This is the epitome of "I don't like thing" threads. The supposedly unfinished state of Spider-Man 2 is not discussed because very few feel the way that you do. It reviewed in the 90s, got nominated for lots of awards, and sold a ton of copies, and probably pushed even more PS5s in the long run.

So you're not wrong, but few agree with you.

I didn't really notice at the time, but I'll take your word for it.

I think it is getting a 'pass' because it is not talked about really at all anymore. It came out, people played, had fun, beat it and moved on. It didn't leave enough of a lasting impression to want to go back and discuss it much afterwards.

In my experience at least. I've hardly thought about it since the credits rolled.

schaft0620

I didn't have a single issue with the game and the only technical problem I saw on social media were Xbox trolls navigating backward at the opening turioral then sharing the video on Twitter as if the game where broken.

Raonak

Banned
I thought it was a great game. Kraven was really well done. Definitely keen for the venom game now!

Really not sure what you could consider "unfinished" about it?.

Last edited:

tmlDan

Unfinished? i wouldn't say that lol

I loved it, but it suffers from being a sequel and nothing changed dramatically enough for it to be remembered in the same capacity as the first game. I feel the same about 90% of Mario games tbh, nobody talks about them either yet they're universally loved.

Don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, not every game has to be talked about everywhere and all the time.

SkylineRKR

I stopped buying these Sony exclusives long ago.

Spider Man 2 is probably good, but I platted Spiderman 1 and basically had my fill. I played MM for a few hours and dropped it, despite being better than SM1 so far. I dropped Horizon 2 after a few hours too, despite liking it more than H1. Its just that I've seen it all before. They are very samey experiences in a different skin.

In the end I only like Astrobot, Returnal and GT7 out of the lot.

I agree with you, OP. The game should have more stealth missions by Mary Jane and the deaf chick.

I'm looking forward to their full story arcs in the next game.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
the game basically goes into overdrive once the symbiote bonds with Peter, and even more so when it becomes Venom. Feels like Venom was hardly there in the game. Just bad pacing and bad handling of one of Spidey's most iconic villains.
But hey!! At least there is a lengthy stealth sequence in a school and a long buddyfest at an amusement park.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
But hey!! At least there is a lengthy stealth sequence in a school and a long buddyfest at an amusement park.
The contrast in the pacing of the first and second game is baffling. Spider-Man 1 is, for me, perfectly paced. No particular section feels drawn out, no section feels rushed. Character development slopes are consistent. Spider-Man 2, on the other hand, pfaffs about for pretty much the first half of the game. What the fuck was the point of the whole bee catching section, for fuck's sake. Then after Peter gets the symbiote it is as if the game suddenly remembers its main story thread and just sprints to the end.

Topher

Gold Member
Overall, I hate the story of the game and how rushed it is despite there being a fair amount of good, but I find it shocking how the game has a 90+ MC score with many not calling out the state the game released in as well as how many shortcomings it has, no doubt most from being rushed near the end to be released before the 2023 holidays.

On GAF or elsewhere? On GAF there was plenty of discussion on the game's shortcomings (as well as the game's positives). All part of the 32 page OT....

Last edited:
This is the main thing/issue imo. Just look at the graphics topic, people are way too obsessed by it

Most of the graphics comments were between people like me who were pointing out how underwhelming the graphics turned out, and the army of Sony fanboys defending and pretending the graphics of yet another ps5 exclusive that's been released this gen were "next gen".

Spiderman 2 and Last of Us Remake being next gen only games where the devs lied about taking advantage of the ps5's specs and god of war ragnarok too- all barely improved over their ps4 pro prequels that came out on much inferior hardware ..they are easily the most deluded and rabbid group of people on GAF. Sony had been so disappointing this gen...thanks to fanboys like that with low standards

Last edited:
Insomniac has been rushing games since Rift Apart...

Did they rush the game? Yes, but the game was also over budget.

I have no idea how it scored a 90 average. Was one of the most mid-90s experiences I've ever seen and the first game was significantly more fun and interesting. That it didn't win any awards reflects what an average cookie-cutter game it was.

I'm extremely worried about Wolverine and the odds of me being day 1 are down to 50-50 but what is worse is I can't trust even aggregate review scores to get it right now.
yep. as a long time insomniac fan, it's been sad & disappointing watching the wheels come off what once was as consistently dependable a developer as any. between the budget crap, the woke crap, the glitches, &, more than anything else, the overall lack of inspiration since the first spider-man, i'll also no longer be an automatic day 1...

Puscifer

Insomniac has been rushing games since Rift Apart...

Did they rush the game? Yes, but the game was also over budget.

I have no idea how it scored a 90 average. Was one of the most mid-90s experiences I've ever seen and the first game was significantly more fun and interesting. That it didn't win any awards reflects what an average cookie-cutter game it was.

I'm extremely worried about Wolverine and the odds of me being day 1 are down to 50-50 but what is worse is I can't trust even aggregate review scores to get it right now.
It killed me we controlled Spider-Man within 10 seconds after pressing start vs 4 minutes in 2. I feel like that should honestly tell you what their mindset was and it shows.

yep. as a long time insomniac fan, it's been sad & disappointing watching the wheels come off what once was as consistently dependable a developer as any. between the budget crap, the woke crap, the glitches, &, more than anything else, the overall lack of inspiration since the first spider-man, i'll also no longer be an automatic day 1...

You lost me at the "woke crap"

Calm down, but yeah, they're not a guaranteed day 1 buy anymore, but honestly, I haven't bought most of their games day 1. Maybe Spider-Man 1, Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2, Rift Apart, and I think I was day 10 or so for Ratchet and Clank PS4. Before that I'd buy their games when I got around to them, my favorites being Crank in Time.

It killed me we controlled Spider-Man within 10 seconds after pressing start vs 4 minutes in 2. I feel like that should honestly tell you what their mindset was and it shows.

Well to be fair, it's a sequel and they wanted to create a large stage for it, whereas with the first game in a franchise you may want to get the player going right away.

For the sequel we already know how spider-man plays and feels.

StueyDuck

I think for those that actually somehow pushed themselves through that horrific sweet baby fiddlers storyline to the end are so broken and beaten down that we'd rather just never talk about spiderman 2 again. Great gameplay but everything else in it is absolute horse shit and it hurts cause insomniac were a favorite developer of mine for a long long time but the infiltration happened and I just would rather remember the good days.

Member crack in time. I Member

Last edited:

Fredrik

Guessing you haven’t seen the DICE awards…

Note: I haven’t played it yet, waiting for the Steam release, so can’t judge if the criticism is valid or not. I loved Miles Morales though, for now I assume I will like SM2 as well.

Neolombax

Feels rushed sure, but it didn't feel unfinished. Felt it could've been better if they had focused only on 1 main villain. Feels like a half assed Web of Shadows.

It's a lot stranger it hasn't been criticized more for being such a boring, uninspired and mediocre game. You'd think it'd be easy to make a super fun and engaging game about Spider-Man but nope.

Astray

Gold Member
Re: glitches: I barely had any, I think only one crash and 2 soft locks throughout +30 hrs of playing.

The storyline (while overall good) definitely rushes once Venom appears, and the Black Cat scenes are basically dropped there with no real context (except to show that Miles approaches the villain and anti-hero population differently from Peter I guess?).

I don't really care about Mary Jane not being sexy or whatever tho. Culture Wars are dumb as fuck and are best ignored imo.

I think for those that actually somehow pushed themselves through that horrific sweet baby fiddlers storyline to the end are so broken and beaten down that we'd rather just never talk about spiderman 2 again.
People try to put the blame solely on this and the 4 missions with MJ and Miles’ love interest, but those missions were collectively 30 minutes of a 20 hour game. One of the biggest issues I personally had with the story writing was the pacing. When I encountered this scene…

I immediately knew that Insomniac cut out a sizable arc of the game. Peter shouldn’t immediately turn into an asshole, the same way that Harry shouldn’t have rapidly deteriorated the way he did. It felt like a huge timeskip to where we didn’t get to see enough of Peter slowly turning into asshole Peter as the suit corrupted him.

So afterwards when the first big Kraven fight happened I asked myself ‘why the hell is Peter so mad?’ The game should have had more missions where Peter lost or failed to save people due to Kraven’s constant need for a hunt. And when the miles v peter fight happened after that and he apologized, it didn’t feel earned.

There should have been more stakes added and maybe a timed mission where you only get to save one of two people. Then it would have been a slow burn of him constantly trying to do right and be the hero, but the venom suit slowly influencing him that he needs to do more and kill Kraven.

Same goes for Harry and his sudden hatred for Peter. One bad argument shouldn’t make Harry 180. It should be a slow burn. The moment Peter quickly turned asshole was when the rest of the game felt like it was on fast forward in terms of pacing.

It’s a fun game otherwise.

StueyDuck

People try to put the blame solely on this and the 4 missions with MJ and Miles’ love interest, but those missions were collectively 30 minutes of a 20 hour game. One of the biggest issues I personally had with the story writing was the pacing. When I encountered this scene…

I immediately knew that Insomniac cut out a sizable arc of the game. Peter shouldn’t immediately turn into an asshole, the same way that Harry shouldn’t have rapidly deteriorated the way he did. It felt like a huge timeskip to where we didn’t get to see enough of Peter slowly turning into asshole Peter as the suit corrupted him.

So afterwards when the first big Kraven fight happened I asked myself ‘why the hell is Peter so mad?’ The game should have had more missions where Peter lost or failed to save people due to Kraven’s constant need for a hunt. And when the miles v peter fight happened after that and he apologized, it didn’t feel earned.

There should have been more stakes added and maybe a timed mission where you only get to save one of two people. Then it would have been a slow burn of him constantly trying to do right and be the hero, but the venom suit slowly influencing him that he needs to do more and kill Kraven.

Same goes for Harry and his sudden hatred for Peter. One bad argument shouldn’t make Harry 180. It should be a slow burn. The moment Peter quickly turned asshole was when the rest of the game felt like it was on fast forward in terms of pacing.

It’s a fun game otherwise.

I have an issue with the entire story. I've written entire paragraphs on here before and I'm not getting too deep into again here and I also don't feel like finding all those old posts.

But the sweet babies had a huge impact on the overall story and not just the woke missions. It was clear the writers of spiderman 2 weren't the writers of the first game (and they weren't, there were many insert writers as well as those who clearly haven't had the experience to take on a big project)

The whole entire plot and characters were completely at odds and against what they created in the first game.

I mean the entire Peter arc in the second game is that he gets infected, sleeps instead of reads an article (which completely defames him anyway for literally no reason) and then he's sorry and gives up the webs 🤣

Miles went from youthful innocent trying to reach his mentor to bloodlust insane revenge murder, for a character that wasn't even his opposition. Then became the greatest super hero of all time and made Peter a bitch because of... reasons I guess.

The whole kraven story was dumb as shit, without even mentioning the random off screen killings of major villains.

The game was written by people who hated Peter and hate the first game and it shows, especially with how they treated legacy characters. They did absolutely everything in their power to make sure Peter could never be in a sequel, honestly I'm shocked they didn't kill him off but maybe that would have been too obvious what the writers goals were.

The woke shit was just crappy diarrhea icing on the pile of horse Maneur cake that they writers created. And the only explanation is that sweet baby fiddlers had a very very big consulting role for the game, more than they have had for others.

The only redeeming quality of the game is the gameplay itself, but level design, mission design, side quests and so on were all absolutely hot shit because they were designed to be In favor of a terrible mess of a story.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Rushed? What do you mean, I thought playing as deaf black woman, doing qte paintings was extremely relevant to Spider-man! Despite the woke/pandering garbage, I still loved it tho.

I mean the entire Peter arc in the second game is that he gets infected, sleeps instead of reads an article (which completely defames him anyway for literally no reason) and then he's sorry and gives up the webs 🤣

Miles went from youthful innocent trying to reach his mentor to bloodlust insane revenge murder, for a character that wasn't even his opposition. Then became the greatest super hero of all time and made Peter a bitch because of... reasons I guess.

The whole kraven story was dumb as shit, without even mentioning the random off screen killings of major villains.
Your summaries are a bit off, especially for Miles, but I agree about Peter’s arc feeling incomplete/rushed and about the off screen deaths for Kraven’s arc.

Again this felt like quite a large chunk of the story hit the cutting room floor and it really needs a director’s cut to even things out, especially the pacing.

I don’t mind the idea of Miles finally succeeding at one of the key final lessons that Peter instilled onto him about being a hero. The arc of his need for revenge over the man who killed his dad made enough sense to me. I also liked that he could not forgive him in the end. However, Kraven’s involvement with that plot thread did not make enough sense. Thus, Kraven was the problem.

I don’t mind an older Peter wanting a break and feeling the immense amount of pressure of heroics taking over his life to the point where he can’t even hold a stable job, because he’s too busy constantly saving people and feeling like he is the only one that can. That was hinted at multiple times in Spiderman PS4 and Miles Morales’ game and it’s been a consistent theme in the comics and movies.

Being Spiderman slowly ruins his life. It is like a constant within multiple timelines. I have not read every comic (I repeat I have not read every one), but from what I remember the only version of middle aged Peter that felt like he got things right (for a limited time) was the Superior Spiderman, and that technically wasn’t even him. Even the real Peter was shocked and impressed at how much better Superior Spiderman was at managing his life and being efficient for a while.

Also, I don’t get how some of you guys suddenly think apologetic Peter doesn’t represent him all of a sudden and call him a bitch. In every version of Spiderman Peter has cried and/or apologized for his actions, blames himself constantly, and tries to talk people out of doing harm with inspiration and being friendly. Even one of the worst Spiderman movies, Amazing Spiderman 2, got this aspect right when Peter tried to talk down Max and relate to him, to stop him from harming anyone right after he became Electro.

However, from saying all of this, you’re right about the venom stuff and him falling asleep, suddenly being proto-venom quite quickly. Kraven is the problem here too, because there wasn’t enough involvement during this pivotal time to justify such a whiplash of change, when Kraven should have been front and center to spark these changes.

The writing around Kraven and how they utilized him are more of the problem to me than anything else, as he is what the plot depends on to be cohesive. It all breaks apart in the second half because he was underused and absent for a large amount of the game, only to show up whenever a big story moment happens between two main characters and bring more goons for gameplay sake.

StueyDuck

Your summaries are a bit off, especially for Miles, but I agree about Peter’s arc feeling incomplete/rushed and about the off screen deaths for Kraven’s arc.

Again this felt like quite a large chunk of the story hit the cutting room floor and it really needs a director’s cut to even things out, especially the pacing.

I don’t mind the idea of Miles finally succeeding at one of the key final lessons that Peter instilled onto him about being a hero. The arc of his need for revenge over the man who killed his dad made enough sense to me. I also liked that he could not forgive him in the end. However, Kraven’s involvement with that plot thread did not make enough sense. Thus, Kraven was the problem.

I don’t mind an older Peter wanting a break and feeling the immense amount of pressure of heroics taking over his life to the point where he can’t even hold a stable job, because he’s too busy constantly saving people and feeling like he is the only one that can. That was hinted at multiple times in Spiderman PS4 and Miles Morales’ game and it’s been a consistent theme in the comics and movies.

Being Spiderman slowly ruins his life. It is like a constant within multiple timelines. I have not read every comic (I repeat I have not read every one), but from what I remember the only version of middle aged Peter that felt like he got things right (for a limited time) was the Superior Spiderman, and that technically wasn’t even him. Even the real Peter was shocked and impressed at how much better Superior Spiderman was at managing his life and being efficient for a while.

Also, I don’t get how some of you guys suddenly think apologetic Peter doesn’t represent him all of a sudden and call him a bitch. In every version of Spiderman Peter has cried and/or apologized for his actions, blames himself constantly, and tries to talk people out of doing harm with inspiration and being friendly. Even one of the worst Spiderman movies, Amazing Spiderman 2, got this aspect right when Peter tried to talk down Max and relate to him, to stop him from harming anyone right after he became Electro.

However, from saying all of this, you’re right about the venom stuff and him falling asleep, suddenly being proto-venom quite quickly. Kraven is the problem here too, because there wasn’t enough involvement during this pivotal time to justify such a whiplash of change, when Kraven should have been front and center to spark these changes.

The writing around Kraven and how they utilized him are more of the problem to me than anything else, as he is what the plot depends on to be cohesive. It all breaks apart in the second half because he was underused and absent for a large amount of the game, only to show up whenever a big story moment happens between two main characters and bring more goons for gameplay sake.
Again without going too deep into it . The way I can summarize my thoughts into a paragraph would mostly be how the games ended and how I felt afterwards.

Spiderman 1 you lose aunt may and you really feel for Peter in that situation, he chooses the greater good over himself and the doc ock villian was extremely sympathetic while also being so heinous that he was willing to use that sympathy one last time to get one over on Peter.

Miles is introduced as a protégé and we all felt a great duo coming from the two for the sequel and MJ and Peter learnt to put aside the hardships spiderman brings to the relationship because being together was more important. There is more but these are just the simple bullet points.

Spiderman 2 ends with Peter actually choosing the selfish option and hanging up the webs because of his personal life (even if it is ruining his personal life, Spiderman as a hero is always about doing the greater good, ie great power great responsibility).

We have miles who is now the best Spiderman to have ever existed because of one tiny encounter, a split second of growth, while his cast of side characters are either underutilized or just plain boring. Deaf girl is a boring character I'm sorry. Genki was a unique character they should have fleshed out more. We have Spiderman romance in the franchise but we don't have Spiderman best bros and that's where they should have focused, Mrs morales doesn't really have any character other than strong person of color who does things for justice, which is in stark comparison to aunt may who was giving it all away for nothing other than being the best human being, which makes the mom a boring character who let's be honest has plot armor now. And finally MJ gets to be the most selfish of them all, she is allowed to shit all over her SO, shit all over her Job and just gets to do whatever she wants. She has no sacrifice, no growth, overall becomes the shittiest person in the game. Even Jameson has a more going for him then MJ.

The MJ self insert is definitely the most obvious and the biggest example of bad story writing.

And overall the second game ended in a place where I don't care about these characters, I don't want any more from any of them. They are all the worst versions of themselves.

Everyone went from selfless to selfish, why would I want to play any more of these heroes stories

Last edited:

Hoppa

I enjoyed it but it really was more of the same, nothing really stuck with me. Wolverine, despite being a different character/universe looks to be about the same which is a bit daunting considering Insomniac are supposedly locked in to more of these for the foreseeable future. I loved Resistance 1 and 2 (didn't play 3), but did they not do well? baffling they wouldn't try bring that IP back if they were digging so desperately for a live service game.

Well tastes are different. I thought it was great and I had a lot of fun doing all the side quests. I was also not a big fan of the last couple of story beats, but the rest of the game made up for it.

Again without going too deep into it . The way I can summarize my thoughts into a paragraph would mostly be how the games ended and how I felt afterwards.

Spiderman 1 you lose aunt may and you really feel for Peter in that situation, he chooses the greater good over himself and the doc ock villian was extremely sympathetic while also being so heinous that he was willing to use that sympathy one last time to get one over on Peter.

Miles is introduced as a protégé and we all felt a great duo coming from the two for the sequel and MJ and Peter learnt to put aside the hardships spiderman brings to the relationship because being together was more important. There is more but these are just the simple bullet points.

Spiderman 2 ends with Peter actually choosing the selfish option and hanging up the webs because of his personal life (even if it is ruining his personal life, Spiderman as a hero is always about doing the greater good, ie great power great responsibility).

We have miles who is now the best Spiderman to have ever existed because of one tiny encounter, a split second of growth, while his cast of side characters are either underutilized or just plain boring. Deaf girl is a boring character I'm sorry. Genki was a unique character they should have fleshed out more. We have Spiderman romance but we don't have Spiderman best bros and that's where they should have focused, Mrs morales doesn't really have any character than strong person of color who does things for justice, which in stark comparison to may who was giving it all away for nothing other than being the best human being makes the mom a boring character who let's be honest has plot armor now. And finally MJ gets to be the most selfish of them all, she is allowed to shit all over her SO, shit all over her Job and just gets to do whatever she wants. She has no sacrifice, no growth, overall becomes the shittiest person in the game. Even Jameson has a more going for him then MJ.

The MJ self insert is definitely the most obvious and the biggest example of bad story writing.

And overall the second game ended in a place where I don't care about these characters, I don't want any more from any of them. They are all the worst versions of themselves.

Everyone went from selfless to selfish, why would I want to play any more of these heroes stories
You’re kind of counting Spiderman 1’s plot without counting the ending scene of him discovering Miles has powers (thus changing everything) and also him realizing that Miles saved the entire city without him in the Miles Morales game.

Those events literally changed his trajectory. He started to see a way to where he could reasonably work a job and live life and still be on-call as Spiderman, while another Spiderman takes care of smaller issues so that he could work on his life. Remember, Peter said ‘call me if you need me’ to Miles at the end of Spiderman 2.

The only hardships I recall between Peter and MJ in part 2 is when he had on the black suit and started acting like an asshole. Before and after the black suit and one newspaper article, they were fine together.

Miles, narratively, is still far from being the best. He’s good, but he’s still naive at times and makes mistakes. He made a ton of mistakes in his own game. In this one he kept jumping to conclusions. The biggest mistake he made in this game is getting captured twice and almost getting killed twice, all because he couldn’t let go of finding Mr. Negative no matter the cost, because he assumed the worst from Mr. Negative.

Now Miles, gameplay wise? Is too powerful and potentially more powerful than a symbiote, which is why I think people are upset about this, because someone like Venom was always considered the top of the food chain in power. Miles did have the advantage of sound waves in that fight I guess.

Regarding the side characters, once again I agree regarding their lack of character development. Even bigger names were a bit undercooked, including even Harry and of course Kraven. The game just needed 5-10ish more hours of all of this important writing and it would have been better. I would have personally cut some of the Venom nonsense and the ‘protect this bomb’ missions.

Having a true off the chest moment here, I honestly feel like Venom is a curse on the Spiderman franchise. He ruins the story of the games and he ruins the story of the movies too. Once he took over in this game after Kraven it all felt goofy. He is an edgy/extreme creation with a lazy backstory and looks cool because that was what was in during the 90s when Mcfarlane, Spawn, and Joe Mad was what was popular in the comic scene.

I get the idea of a creature bringing out a person’s darker emotions, but it all ends up being a negative to actual character development because then it’s all blamed on some black goop instead of being seriously discussed with potentially great lines and acting.

Beechos

This is what kinda worries me. People expect sony to keep releasing bangers and 90+ games every release like its an automatic thing.

MonkD

You’re kind of counting Spiderman 1’s plot without counting the ending scene of him discovering Miles has powers (thus changing everything) and also him realizing that Miles saved the entire city without him in the Miles Morales game.

Those events literally changed his trajectory. He started to see a way to where he could reasonably work a job and live life and still be on-call as Spiderman, while another Spiderman takes care of smaller issues so that he could work on his life. Remember, Peter said ‘call me if you need me’ to Miles at the end of Spiderman 2.

The only hardships I recall between Peter and MJ in part 2 is when he had on the black suit and started acting like an asshole. Before and after the black suit and one newspaper article, they were fine together.

Miles, narratively, is still far from being the best. He’s good, but he’s still naive at times and makes mistakes. He made a ton of mistakes in his own game. In this one he kept jumping to conclusions. The biggest mistake he made in this game is getting captured twice and almost getting killed twice, all because he couldn’t let go of finding Mr. Negative no matter the cost, because he assumed the worst from Mr. Negative.

Now Miles, gameplay wise? Is too powerful and potentially more powerful than a symbiote, which is why I think people are upset about this, because someone like Venom was always considered the top of the food chain in power. Miles did have the advantage of sound waves in that fight I guess.

Regarding the side characters, once again I agree regarding their lack of character development. Even bigger names were a bit undercooked, including even Harry and of course Kraven. The game just needed 5-10ish more hours of all of this important writing and it would have been better. I would have personally cut some of the Venom nonsense and the ‘protect this bomb’ missions.

Having a true off the chest moment here, I honestly feel like Venom is a curse on the Spiderman franchise. He ruins the story of the games and he ruins the story of the movies too. Once he took over in this game after Kraven it all felt goofy. He is an edgy/extreme creation with a lazy backstory and looks cool because that was what was in during the 90s when Mcfarlane, Spawn, and Joe Mad was what was popular in the comic scene.

I get the idea of a creature bringing out a person’s darker emotions, but it all ends up being a negative to actual character development because then it’s all blamed on some black goop instead of being seriously discussed with potentially great lines and acting.

It's easy to forget that Venom hasn't been a villain for the last 30 years. The way he is presented in the game is very out of character from his mainstream portrayals. I'm all for trying something new, but you have to stay true to the character and earn the deviations/changes. The game payed a lot of homage to the King in Black story line, but only superficially. Having Venom be the villain of a story line where he is supposed to be the protagonist wasn't clever at all, and even Web of Shadows knew that Venom shouldn't be the one behind something like this.

I get the impression that the writers where not familiar with the source material/characters at all. You'd get a better grasp on Venom just from reading his Wikipedia article. Real shame since the first game was one of the best adaptations of Spider-Man we've had.

Toots

Gold Member
Did you know that if you're bi and end up in a "hetero-normative" relationship you're contributing to "bi-erasure"? Neither did I until a Spider-man 2 NPC told me.
Following the same logic, ending up in a homo-normative relationship contributes to bi-erasure as well.
The only way to truly be a parangon of virtue (signaling) is to be in both a hetero-normative and homo-normative relationship at the same time...
Cannot believe the ends people go sometimes to rationalize their egotistical deviances...

Hunnybun

My main problem was the story. The first game had a really nice, simple but compelling narrative.

The second game basically centres around 2 characters I couldn't give a shit about: Kraven and Harry. Harry is (like all the main characters, tbh) a goody-two-shoes little shmuck, and Kraven's motivations just didn't resonate with me. I just didn't care.

I tend to agree that it felt rushed, though. The last few hours of the game is basically just a succession of overlong boss fights. And I couldn't believe how sparse the open world content was.

ByWatterson

Its a PS5 exclusive, which means on GAF it can do no wrong and universally loved by all. Same with FF16, not even an RPG in the longest running RPG series of all time, yet GAF gushed over it even though its a reskinned DMC.

LOL, GAF hated FF16 and they're wrong and I've had to say that countless times.

Hunnybun

I encountered so many bugs, I thought it was a bethesda game. They didn't have time to evolve the gameplay or fix bugs but they had time to inject a shitload of ultra woke NPCs and sidequests though. Did you know that if you're bi and end up in a "hetero-normative" relationship you're contributing to "bi-erasure"? Neither did I until a Spider-man 2 NPC told me.

LOL the wokeness in Miles Morales annoyed me; here it was so blatant it was really more funny than anything else.

I saw a bit of the spoilercast from Moriarty and his crew, and it was pathetic how he was pussy-footing around it: 'now, do you think, all things considered - not complaining about SJWs or anything god forbid - but do you think that maybe just slightly some people might just possibly in some ways might be persuaded to at least partly consider that in some respects but not all but definitely - perhaps - SOME respects the game might possibly be seen as just a TINY bit "pandering"?'

Errrr, YES!!!! Fucking OBVIOUSLY. The game is the single most politically correct piece of media I've EVER encountered. It's truly a glory of propaganda.

Astray

Gold Member
It's not blamed on the goop tho, it's been months since i finished the game, but those a lot of those doubts and negative feelings existed in Peter and MJ prior to the symbiotes being a thing, they just got let out by the symbiotes being what they are. The story is actually surprisingly deep when you start to examine the character work between Peter MJ and Miles.

Harry's issues were a little undercooked imo, but once he got put on the verge of death AND Emily-May got destroyed because of what is, to him, purely Symbiote Peter's bullshit, it all came to the fore. I wish we had more of him terrorizing Peter and Miles and less Symbiote NY stuff, but it is what it is.

Its a PS5 exclusive, which means on GAF it can do no wrong and universally loved by all. Same with FF16, not even an RPG in the longest running RPG series of all time, yet GAF gushed over it even though its a reskinned DMC.
Spider-Man 2 had countless topics on people criticizing it for multiple reasons...FFXVI is even worse. What are you talking about?

S0ULZB0URNE

Weird that they left in blm propaganda too,given the whole thing has been proven to be a massive scam at this point.....that alone is reason enough for me to question ever buying another game from Insomniac......granted these devs are just sheeple who virtue signal whatever the current thing is,but that's not a good enough excuse to get my money I'm afraid.
They have all types of woke shit in the game.

Because despite how buggy it was it was still better than most games I’ve played on PC this year. I think only avatar and ff16 are more polished in terms of bugs but they have their own issues with performance modes whereas Spider-Man 2 was rock solid in every mode.

It definitely needs to be called out though.
What games have you played on PC that were worse?

Top Bottom