• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Spider-Man 2 Review went up earlier: Praises The Game

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Spider-Man 2 will drive right to game if the year awards
Jedi GIF by Star Wars

ReBurn

Gold Member
How does this sound to you?
When you consider the drop off in cinema attendance and lack of recovery since Covid lockdowns, I'm not sure your edit has the impact you intended. There are a lot more people now waiting to watch movies at home for a few dollar rental fee on a streaming service and fewer paying $18 in the cinema. People don't want 5 hour movies to get the most movie per hour value for $18, but they also don't want to pay $18 to see a two hour movie one time.

When you consider the drop off in cinema attendance and lack of recovery since Covid lockdowns, I'm not sure your edit has the impact you intended. There are a lot more people now waiting to watch movies at home for a few dollar rental fee on a streaming service and fewer paying $18 in the cinema. People don't want 5 hour movies to get the most movie per hour value for $18, but they also don't want to pay $18 to see a two hour movie one time.
You're focused on the wrong thing here. Replace movies with books, and a book that is 400 pages costs the same as a book with 800 pages. Does that automatically make the 800 page book better?

It just sucks that when it comes to video games, people can't move on from this ridiculous means of quality by the means quantity ratio, yet with other forms of media they are perfectly fine in not using it as a form of quality measurement.

The collective whining of the PS3/360 gen 8-12 hour experiences lead us all to the PS4/XBO gen of bloated games. Games that could have been 8s, 9s, or 10s were instead 6s or 7s due to being filled with garbage just so that '40-60 hour experience' could be used as a marketing gimmick, with narratives and storytelling stretched as paper thin as possible over that long period of time.

All this happened because somewhere down the road, people suddenly had the bright idea that the correct qualifier for price is time, not quality. And publishers actually listened to this and took it seriously.

ProtoByte

This is exactly what the Arkham Batman games were doing back then, and I love them for it. Gives the combat some depth.

On the other hand, the spider-man games will become even more clones of the Arkham games in terms of combat system
I wouldn't call it depth. It simplifies the options down to 1, actually. At that point, it's just waiting for the meter to fill.

Enemies that can be effectively hit by most of everything but can also respond worse or better depending on how they're designed is the best. It makes it feel more like you're fighting a real person/thing. By Knight, Arkham could devolve into learning some really jacked button combos for the sake of beating that one heavy with the shield or some shit.

You're focused on the wrong thing here. Replace movies with books, and a book that is 400 pages costs the same as a book with 800 pages. Does that automatically make the 800 page book better?

It just sucks that when it comes to video games, people can't move on from this ridiculous means of quality by the means quantity ratio, yet with other forms of media they are perfectly fine in not using it as a form of quality measurement.

The collective whining of the PS3/360 gen 8-12 hour experiences lead us all to the PS4/XBO gen of bloated games. Games that could have been 8s, 9s, or 10s were instead 6s or 7s due to being filled with garbage just so that '40-60 hour experience' could be used as a marketing gimmick, with narratives and storytelling stretched as paper thin as possible over that long period of time.

All this happened because somewhere down the road, people suddenly had the bright idea that the correct qualifier for price is time, not quality. And publishers actually listened to this and took it seriously.
There is a middle ground. I don't like the idea of spending 70$ on a game that will only occupy 10 hours of my time. Unless a game is doing something truly revolutionary, I am not buying it at that price. I don't need AC Valhalla either. Which is a game that purposefully becomes a grindfest so players buy their microtransactions after 60 hours. 25-35hrs is perfect for the vast majority of AAA games, and that is where most are. I can only think of a few games that are truly weakened by having too much content

I'll easily will get 30hrs of time out of SM2, so I have no issues with it. I'm sure Sony will sell a couple DLC's 6 months from now for 10-15$ a piece that will add 10hrs

Fredrik

It's because I choose to watch it. These things are hardly going to destroy my perception of the game, so it doesn't bother me.

OMG my eyes will burn if I see leaks prior to release. must go dark. MUST GO DARK NOW!
Lol yeah, I want to see everything. It’s Spider-Man. What are they going to show that is going to spoil anything for me? It’s not like they’re going to kill Spider-Man 5 minutes in and let us play with Venom instead. I just want to see if it’s a day 1 drop everything else purchase.

Eotheod

Interesting on the point of bosses requiring specific gadgets to defeat. I personally feel that as limiting the creativity and making it more "cinematic" for the experience. That can be both good and bad for the player, depending on their playstyle.

Fredrik

Naughty Dog:
Look At That Season 4 GIF by Paramount+

Edit: For those raising concerns; TLOU2 is one of my favourite games of last gen
Lol I haven’t played TLOU2 yet but had all the story beats spoiled long ago, ND have balls no doubt and deserve some praise for that but for me as a TLOU1 Joel Edition gamer they missed the only mark they couldn’t miss. I have it on the shelf though, will try some day.

Insomniac don’t try to rewrite the rules but what they do they do better than most.

Interesting on the point of bosses requiring specific gadgets to defeat. I personally feel that as limiting the creativity and making it more "cinematic" for the experience. That can be both good and bad for the player, depending on their playstyle.
Bosses don't require specific gadgets to defeat them. But certain gadgets work better or worse depending on the boss. That is good game design. It entices gamers to engage with the full combat system

MarkMe2525

30-40h is where it should be. Inso taking the lazy route. SMH.

Will get it when it hits 20$ or something.

😝😝
I don't know about this. The first entry was great, but ran out of ideas that led to some repetitive gameplay. Nothing wrong with cutting back play time of the campaign to ensure a player doesn't get burnt out. There is always NG+ for people who want more.

As always, to each their own.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
I don't know about this. The first entry was great, but ran out of ideas that led to some repetitive gameplay. Nothing wrong with cutting back play time of the campaign to ensure a player doesn't get burnt out. There is always NG+ for people who want more.

As always, to each their own.

Nothing wrong with repetitive gameplay as long as lt’s fun imo.

Nah i rarely do NG+, it’s basically playing the whole game again, it’s even worse than repetitive gameplay for most games. Only games i’ve done it for are Sekiro and BB. But both those games have one of the best gameplay loops in the biz.

But like you said to each their own.

Last edited:

Trilobit

360_F_158967704_MG9cvGqim2iSDSTQu5v1SV1O1Ih0mTcy.jpg

Peter: "I used this eraser in high school when I met MJ. Aahh, the memories."

cardboard-tortilla-wrap-packaging.jpeg

Peter: "This is the tortilla wrap trash I held in my hand when Aunt May had a stroke. Aahh the memories."

Shoelaces_20050719_001.jpg

Miles: "This is the shoelace mi papi had on his shoes when he ran a maratón. Aahh the memorias."

Please, no more of these kinds of stupid collect-a-thons. I started rolling my eyes at the stupid crap I found saved around the city.

Pedro Motta

Lol I haven’t played TLOU2 yet but had all the story beats spoiled long ago, ND have balls no doubt and deserve some praise for that but for me as a TLOU1 Joel Edition gamer they missed the only mark they couldn’t miss. I have it on the shelf though, will try some day.

Insomniac don’t try to rewrite the rules but what they do they do better than most.
You’re missing one of the best games of all time.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I haven't finished Miles Morales yet, is that going to be "required" you think?

I wouldnt necessarily say "required" but I wouldnt be surprised if stuff that happened in MM is referenced. If you really wanna be all caught up with whats going on you could probably knock it out in a weekend.

Or just look a compilation of all the cutscenes and beats on YT.

poodaddy

I haven't finished Miles Morales yet, is that going to be "required" you think?
The writing and scenario in the game is terrible, pandering stuff. However, the gameplay is a pretty big upswing from the original game, which I'm sure will translate to the next game. In my opinion, it's very skippable if you're all in on the sequel.

Top Bottom