• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Spider-Man 2 was so rushed and unfinished yet no one talks about it?

Certinty

I loved most of the game, the traversal especially which is as good as it gets, but a lot of the game is severely lacking and even Insomniac themselves admitted it was somewhat rushed.

The last 'act' of the story is shockingly bad. After the Venom Times Square fight, the game goes into overload with the rushing and pacing. It takes what should have been half the game and makes it into a two hour finale full of poor missions, not great story telling and bad character development. Huge disparity from the rest of the game where missions are far more in depth and better in quality.

Game launched with countless bugs. The game freezing for people, the audio muting, spider-cube just to name a few issues which were very prevalent. By far Insomniac's buggiest title I can ever recall. I had far more bugs in 25 hours of SM2 than I had with hundreds of SM1, MM, R&C, SO combined.

Game was somewhat unfinished. There were suits for example which had placeholders put in and were updated a few times after launch to get them in the state of where they should have been to begin. Even now a few months on, the game post-story is broken with the same few random crimes appearing.

The side content was overall maybe even worse than the first game. In SM1 one of the biggest complaints was how poor and repetitive the side content was. In this one they fixed a few of these issues with good side-story arcs such as the Flame missions, but the rest was worse. No Taskmaster challenges (just the repetitive combat Mysterio ones), the drones were copy and paste filler, the random side-missions were uninteresting and what not. Let alone there's zero replay value in any of this content (unlike the first game).

Then of course Miles Morales launched with NG+ and the option to pick time of day and weather post-story. This was promised as an update in 2023 for the game but later got delayed to 2024 and now further back to March 2024. Which is made even worse given the game has literally zero post-story content so fans have been left with nothing to do in the open world for months.

Overall, I hate the story of the game and how rushed it is despite there being a fair amount of good, but I find it shocking how the game has a 90+ MC score with many not calling out the state the game released in as well as how many shortcomings it has, no doubt most from being rushed near the end to be released before the 2023 holidays.

Insomniac has been rushing games since Rift Apart...

Did they rush the game? Yes, but the game was also over budget.

I have no idea how it scored a 90 average. Was one of the most mid-90s experiences I've ever seen and the first game was significantly more fun and interesting. That it didn't win any awards reflects what an average cookie-cutter game it was.

I'm extremely worried about Wolverine and the odds of me being day 1 are down to 50-50 but what is worse is I can't trust even aggregate review scores to get it right now.

I know there's clearly an audience for the game, but I couldn't bring myself to finish it. I got about 4 hours in and just turned it off. I think it's a combination of it being Marvel, which has been done to death in all forms of media and also because it doesn't offer enough different to me from the first game.

Not knocking anyone for enjoying it, I just know it definitely wasn't for me. I also have absolutely no excitement for Wolverine based on the above too.

RickSanchez

Gold Member
I'm not sure about GAF but this point has been discussed to death on the r/spidermanps4 subreddit. Lots of people overall liked the game but thought that the game basically goes into overdrive once the symbiote bonds with Peter, and even more so when it becomes Venom. Feels like Venom was hardly there in the game. Just bad pacing and bad handling of one of Spidey's most iconic villains.

Popular belief is that this was caused by Sony rushing Insomniac to release it in 2023 and them cutting much of the Venom content to put it in the standalone Venom expansion game coming out some time in the future.

The opencritic score can be explained to some extent by critics generally having a bias towards Sony's usual cinematic experiences.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I'm extremely worried about Wolverine and the odds of me being day 1 are down to 50-50 but what is worse is I can't trust even aggregate review scores to get it right now.
Marvel fatigue. It is true that the game can leave some of us dissapointed, but it is a great game, with content while not being bloated like a Ubisoft open world IMHO. I loved Spiderman on PS4, but did not care about miles morales and only took it because of a lack of good games when I got my PS5. I loved it, and made Spiderman 2 a 100% day one game for me. I think that Wolverine will be the same. IF you play it, you will like it, but if you don't, no loss unlike a Elden Ring or a GTA 6 would be. And Sony needs those kind of "fast food" games as long as they are really good, and Spiderman 2 is really good. Just no GOTY like other games are.

I'm not sure about GAF but this point has been discussed to death on the r/spidermanps4 subreddit. Lots of people overall liked the game but thought that the game basically goes into overdrive once the symbiote bonds with Peter, and even more so when it becomes Venom. Feels like Venom was hardly there in the game. Just bad pacing and bad handling of one of Spidey's most iconic villains.

Popular belief is that this was caused by Sony rushing Insomniac to release it in 2023 and them cutting much of the Venom content to put it in the standalone Venom expansion game coming out some time in the future.

The opencritic score can be explained to some extent by critics generally having a bias towards Sony's usual cinematic experiences.

I think it makes sense. I think they realized that they couldn't hit their date but that it would be a disaster for the company if they missed, so they ramped up production to try to get back on target. I think if the Sony pipeline had been better, this game probably gets delayed until Spring-Summer 24, but they didn't have anything else to carry the year.

Not sure if you want to blame Sony or Insomniac for that. I think the blame can be shared by a lot of parties. I think it is part of the reason why Connie Booth was fired (pure speculation), but I think the ball may have been dropped on maintaining the production pipeline, but I also think production has still been better so far into the PS5s life than any PlayStation consoles before it, I think they've just had to continously rush games.

I think God of War was rushed. I haven't played Horizon yet, but based on what I've seen maybe it was somewhat rushed as well. Rift Apart was definitely rushed.

I just think the pandemic and remote work has really caused a lot of issues for Sony and delays and going over budget alone isn't helping them.

I think they basically cleared their slate for nearly 2 years, so I think we'll see what that does for their production pipeline. They've pushed for 3rd party games to fill in that pipeline.

For example, I think they initially wanted Wolverine for 2024, which is why they showed it so early, but they probably had to dedicate more resources to Spider-Man 2. I think you're right that a lot of the Venom stuff has probably been removed in line with what Tony Todd said and saved for a DLC.

Connie was head of internal production and I'm not sure where her job began and ended in relation to Hermen Hulst who is also an SVP and global studio head. But I'm sure the rising budgets and delayed games ultimately fell on her, whether that was fair or not.

I get the sense that Connie was more of a global producer and Hermen was more of the technical and creative side.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Eh, there are some bugs they still need to fix, but I am only at the “oh Harry is hurt…” part of the storyline and I am already almost maxed out in suits, tools, and skills. I am enjoying swinging in New York a lot :). What can I say :)?

mdkirby

honestly I disagree about a lot of this take. The pacing and flow of the game was generally much much better I the second half....the pacing in the first half was terrible. All the best bits of the game were in the back half.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'll never trust the scores again for Sony 1st party after Ragnarok. I watched all the trailers for that game, and I'd post super mild - but critical, observations. "I don't see much new in the gameplay," etc. Wasn't going to get it. Then it literally got a 94 MC, like it was some Breath of the Wild tier masterpiece, so I bought it day one for $70. Didn't last 10 hours before dropping it. I don't think it's trash, it's obviously a polished game, but it sure didn't seem like a 94. One of the most extreme examples of review overhype in my lifetime.

I knew that was going to be the case again when I saw the scores for Spider Man 2.

Last edited:

tommib

The last game of this type I’ll ever buy from Sony. Completely generic crap with millions thrown at it is so not my thing.

I was skipping all end game cutscenes and lowered the difficulty to the easiest mode to get it done asap. I’ll buy the Returnals and Helldivers. The rest of their Marvel and AAAA IPs, they can keep them.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Available info suggests that Insomniac's "B-team" and new hires were the main force on SM2, with significant resources going to Wolverine. I think it shows. The game is much less polished and high tech relative to the first when it released in 2018. Even the new animations (particularly on the finishers) seem like less clean work than either Miles or SM1, and some of the effects seem to lack fullness

Between the reused assets and design base, the 3 years gap between it and Miles Morales, there's no excuse for the technical state of the game. Even with fixes, it's a disappointing first full PS5 SIE production.

Creatively, it's not fleshed out either. Which is shocking considering how complete the first game felt on that front, and how many lessons have been learned from Spider-Man media over the decades. There is no reason that the symbiote invasion should've been less epic than Web of Shadows. Where on earth was Shield? The Avengers? National guard? The street heroes populating NY that we now know actually come with the Spider-Man license?

And that's just part of the plot beats; the tone of it is just way too clean and inoffensive. These are videogames, goddammit. You shouldn't even think about being more PG-friendly than 2004 Hollywood productions.

I'm not particularly concerned about Wolverine by the leaks (I didn't spoil myself on the plot), but I am shocked that Insomniac left potential on the table for Spider-Man. I really don't think they're setting themselves up for a good conclusion to this Marvel run if this is the mentality they've got going forward.

God knows the X-Men do not need anymore neutering.

Last edited:
I'll never trust the scores again for Sony 1st party after Ragnarok. I watched all the trailers for that game, and I'd post super mild - but critical, observations. "I don't see much new in the gameplay," etc. Wasn't going to get it. Then it literally got a 94 MC, like it was some Breath of the Wild tier masterpiece, so I bought it day one for $70. Didn't last 10 hours before dropping it. I don't think it's trash, it's obviously a polished game, but it sure didn't seem like a 94. One of the most extreme examples of review overhype in my lifetime.

I knew that was going to be the case again when I saw the scores for Spider Man 2.

I thought the spear alone made Ragnarok worth it, but it's a major step down in story telling from 2018 and it left a lot to be desired. Definitely not a 94 for me.

I finished it and I'm glad it did. Wasn't a bad game or experience, just not a great one, which seems to be in line with almost every Sony first party game this generation for me. I don't know if it is because they were cross-gen or what, but they haven't had that appeal. Spider-Man 2 wasn't cross gen but might as well have been.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Then it literally got a 94 MC, like it was some Breath of the Wild tier masterpiece, so I bought it day one for $70. Didn't last 10 hours before dropping it.

And there's your issue, in the same way you think an Ubisoft game with 70% of the content removed is a masterpiece, many people believe that the new God Of War was. Different strokes for different folks.

I had much more fun with Metriod Dread and Pikimin 4 than either of those titles, just how it is.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

I loved Ragnarok, but I 100% understand your opinion. The wasted potential was huge. I would advise you to try the DLC. Pure gameplay so if you like it it will somewhat make up part of your loss. I don't think that the score was inflated, just that close to 100 the scores don't make a lot of sense. The game was polished, with good gameplay and cinematics, but the story could have been better.

tommib

sony formula has run its course and people are done with it
I think the hardcore maybe, but the 10 million sales say otherwise. The mainstream audiences eat this as popcorn. They’ll never get tired of it.

Which is why Sony has been so disappointing this generation to me. I’m honestly thankful for Hi-Fi Rush And Pentiment coming to PSN. Microsoft Studios have actually artistic intents. I fear Returnal was the last kind of a type of game Sony will never do again.

Available info suggests that Insomniac's "B-team" and new hires were the main force on SM2, with significant resources going to Wolverine. I think it shows. The game is much less polished and high tech relative to the first when it released in 2018. Even the new animations (particularly on the finishers) seem like less clean work than either Miles or SM1, and some of the effects seem to lack fullness

Between the reused assets and design base, the 3 years gap between it and Miles Morales, there's no excuse for the technical state of the game. Even with fixes, it's a disappointing first full PS5 SIE production.

Creatively, it's not fleshed out either. Which is shocking considering how complete the first game felt on that front, and how many lessons have been learned from Spider-Man media over the decades. There is no reason that the symbiote invasion should've been less epic than Web of Shadows. Where on earth was Shield? The Avengers? National guard? The street heroes populating NY that we now know actually come with the Spider-Man license?

And that's just part of the plot beats; the tone of it is just way too clean and inoffensive. These are videogames, goddammit. You shouldn't even think about being more PG-friendly than 2004 Hollywood productions.

I'm not particularly concerned about Wolverine by the leaks (I didn't spoil myself on the plot), but I am shocked that Insomniac left potential on the table for Spider-Man. I really don't think they're setting themselves up for a good conclusion to this Marvel run if this is the mentality they've got going forward.

God knows the X-Men do not need anymore neutering.

I think they did a lot of damage to their brand. Even Black Cat wasn't utilized very well. Ironically, she would have been better with the stealth sections than Mary Jane... because you know... checks notes....she is a thief.

I can't imagine ever going back to Spider-Man 2. Maybe on PS5 Pro I'll give it a second look, but I doubt it.

Where have you seen the B Team was on it? That doesn't really add up given the amount of staff that was dedicated to the game.

Sony should probably re-evaluate having Insomniac go all in on Marvel, but it's probably too late to turn around now. They seem locked in.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Overall I liked the game, Henry, Kraven, Venom and MJ plus the second spiderman gives you variety.

Angry Spider-Man GIF by PlayStation

Papa_Wisdom

sony formula has run its course and people are done with it
I was just going to post this myself. I’m seeing slot of discourse over Sony’s 1st party offerings. Wonder if people are finally tiring of these types of experiences.

I miss the gravity rush,ico, shadow of collosus, the last guardian Sony.

The fact that stellar blade is the best thing I’ve seen from them this generation ( and it’s not even 1st party) says it all from my perspective.

I never even got the hype about TLOU, horizon was horrible, god of war was just ok (much preferred the og gameplay), Spider-Man was boring. Ghost of tushima was ok but got stale fast.

Wolverine from all we’ve seen looks exactly the same from what’s gone previous.

None of these are worth the day one asking price for a once and done experience, I’d rather wait and pick them up when there half price or less.

Ronin_7

Banned
I think they did a lot of damage to their brand. Even Black Cat wasn't utilized very well. Ironically, she would have been better with the stealth sections than Mary Jane... because you know... checks notes....she is a thief.

I can't imagine ever going back to Spider-Man 2. Maybe on PS5 Pro I'll give it a second look, but I doubt it.

Where have you seen the B Team was on it? That doesn't really add up given the amount of staff that was dedicated to the game.

Sony should probably re-evaluate having Insomniac go all in on Marvel, but it's probably too late to turn around now. They seem locked in.
They did so much damage that 10 million bought it and has a 90 Metacritic on both users and reviewers 😂

You guys are delusional beyond belief.

I was just going to post this myself. I’m seeing slot of discourse over Sony’s 1st party offerings. Wonder if people are finally tiring of these types of experiences.

The fact that stellar blade is the best thing I’ve seen from them this generation ( and it’s not even 1st party) says it all from my perspective.

I never even got the hype about TLOU, horizon was horrible, god of war was just ok (much preferred the og gameplay), Spider-Man was boring. Ghost of tushima was ok but got stale fast.

None of these are worth the day one asking price for a once and done experience, I’d rather wait and pick them up when there half price or less.

I think you have an eastern bias because Stellar blade looks like absolute trash. I'm expecting high 70s low 80s for the game and maybe you'll love that because it goes to an anti western media agenda or something.

They did so much damage that 10 million bought it and has a 90 Metacritic on both users and reviewers 😂

You guys are delusional beyond belief.

I bought Spider-Man 2 day 1.

I may not buy Wolverine Day 1, probably won't buy Venom for more than 30-40 dollars, and who knows if I'll play a Spider-Man 3 focused on Miles Morales, unless they swap him out with the Spider-Verse Miles.

I'd say that's damage.

Senua

I couldn't even finish the first Dad of War, was excited when it came to PC but it just didn't grab me at all. Too many set pieces, dull puzzles and characters. Decent gameplay though. I only played like 5 hours but...meh. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.

Zheph

Those games are simply not tailored for "hardcore gamers" imo. Personally I had a decent time with Ragnarok and the DLC is a very good surprise but Spiderman? No thanks. All my casual friends keeps berating me because I haven't play the second and they think its a masterpiece somehow.

I fear Returnal was the last kind of a type of game Sony will never do again.
I don't think that's true but we will see

Papa_Wisdom

I think you have an eastern bias because Stellar blade looks like absolute trash. I'm expecting high 70s low 80s for the game and maybe you'll love that because it goes to an anti western media agenda or something.
I have a bias on what I consider to be fun to play. Stellar blade looks fun ( I haven’t played it so could be wrong)

Can’t say I had much fun playing anything I mentioned, as I said gow and got were ok.

Senua

I think the hardcore maybe, but the 10 million sales say otherwise. The mainstream audiences eat this as popcorn. They’ll never get tired of it.

Which is why Sony has been so disappointing this generation to me. I’m honestly thankful for Hi-Fi Rush And Pentiment coming to PSN. Microsoft Studios have actually artistic intents. I fear Returnal was the last kind of a type of game Sony will never do again.
Agreed but even here in enthusiast circles people seem to adore the popcorn games from Sony. Always found that interesting. They're decent but they get treated like masterpieces. Slick presentation goes a long way I guess

Last edited:

digdug2

I got lucky that my copy of the game came with a PS5 as a download code. I haven't played much, but it doesn't really seem like it's that much different than Spider-Man from 2018 or Miles Morales from 2020. Sure, you can tread water and swim, but that doesn't really impress me because the gameplay loop is pretty much the same. It IS Spider-Man though, so I wasn't really expecting all too much originality.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I couldn't even finish the first Dad of War, was excited when it came to PC but it just didn't grab me at all. Too many set pieces, dull puzzles and characters. Decent gameplay though. I only played like 5 hours but...meh. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.
I'm a bit of a mixed bag on these games. I loved the first Spider Man and God of War actually. Instantly bailed on the sequels. I'm not someone that will claim that all cinematic action games are horrible no matter what. I like them sometimes.

Sony most definitely gets a pass on stuff like this compared to other publishers. In their defense, it could just be that their games are usually good compared to others.

Helldivers is a current example of this. Server issues aside, the game was clearly not tested before launch because there are loads of technical issues. If other pubs put out broken, untested games loaded with day one microtransactions and a battle pass and a store, they’d be getting slaughtered. Not a peep on Helldivers. If I were still a teenage fanboy (though I was a massive PlayStation fanboy then) I’d be irate. Now?

Happy Adam Scott GIF by Sky

I’m also part of the problem because I bought HD2 four times.

The side content was overall maybe even worse than the first game. In SM1 one of the biggest complaints was how poor and repetitive the side content was. In this one they fixed a few of these issues with good side-story arcs such as the Flame missions, but the rest was worse. No Taskmaster challenges (just the repetitive combat Mysterio ones), the drones were copy and paste filler, the random side-missions were uninteresting and what not. Let alone there's zero replay value in any of this content (unlike the first game).

That’s pretty shocking to hear, because the side content in the first one was laughably bad. I have the second one installed for my youngest kid but I myself haven’t touched it, this makes me not want to.

The content for this game was so underwhelming.

Outside the main campaignq there was shit else to do.

Side content should include things like racing the Human Torch around NYC and playing out familiar story beats that pay homage to the comics.

Collectathons are not content.

A superhero game should release with no less than the amount of content in remastered version of Spiderman 1 (Main + DLC). That game felt massive.

Ronin_7

Banned
I bought Spider-Man 2 day 1.

I may not buy Wolverine Day 1, probably won't buy Venom for more than 30-40 dollars, and who knows if I'll play a Spider-Man 3 focused on Miles Morales, unless they swap him out with the Spider-Verse Miles.

I'd say that's damage.
They don't care about you, users on Gaf or Era aren't what Sony is after my friend.

Get a dose of reality, you can sell your Ps5 today for all it matters, please do.

FeastYoEyes

I did not enjoy my time with it.

There's a lot of bloat around the edges and I am kind of done with the Arkham style combat arenas that are littered through the game. The mini games are less interesting than the first. And the Venom storyline takes way too long to get going.

Bond007

Game was great to me, zero bugs encountered at lunch.
Guess I just focused on having fun....

Last edited:

scydrex

That means don't get a sony console. Should have been hard for you since ps4? Or maybe ps3. Your best choice would be an xbox or a pc gaming.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Game was great to me, zero bugs encounter at lunch.
Guess I just focused on having fun....
Same?

There’s a fair amount to critique for the game, but I had 0 issues on launch. My son has played through the game like 7 times? PS5 shows 139 hours clocked and 30 of that is me lmao. He’s a speed runner in the making.

Last edited:
They don't care about you, users on Gaf or Era aren't what Sony is after my friend.

Get a dose of reality, you can sell your Ps5 today for all it matters, please do.

LOL, not sure what's with that over the top response, but they absolutely care. I'm not alone in this.

There is a reason why Spider-Man 2 resonated with no one for the game awards.

There is a reason why my nephew who LOVES spider-man, has played all of 30 minutes of this game since December. He has seen Across the Spider-Verse like 6 times in the theater and Miles Morales was one of his favorite games. You think he isn't the target audience for this game?

You think Sony can put 250+ million towards Spider-Man 3 and have it sell 50% or 75% of Spider-Man 2.

It's very similar to the situation Rocksteady found themselves with the Arkham games.

Insomniac is quickly running out of goodwill and if you think that isn't the case, I'm not sure what to tell you, your hyperbole and super dramatic response not withstanding, they absolutely damaged their reputation with this game that is largely hollow and extremely glitchy.

Top Bottom