• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers is being discontinued"

Gambit2483

So much wasted potential with such a massive IP. A shame, but they bungled it so hard. And I'm gonna say it, Gotham Knights ended up being a better version of it in the long run.
Gotham Knights has a more fundamentally sound base. None of that GAAS grind grind grind gameplay BS. It also has better focus on its single player story

reektann

The giant matrix about credits and currency just makes it even more amazing. Looks like a presentation in a "slide deck" from a marketing agency.

UNITS FRAGMENTS POLYCHORON! DNA!

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
That studio must be so relieved to finally be able to put an end to this and move on with something else.

What a colossal waste of time, talent and resources this has been. Amazing mismanagement and a complete misunderstanding of the videogame space.

Aion002

I wonder which servers will end up lasting longer, Anthem, Avengers, Resident Evil Resistance or Metal Gear Survive...

Interested Season 10 GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last edited:

geary

That studio must be so relieved to finally be able to put an end to this and move on with something else.

What a colossal waste of time, talent and resources this has been. Amazing mismanagement and a complete misunderstanding of the videogame space.
If i am not mistaking Crystal Dynamics already works on Perfect Dark with The Initiative and has another Tomb Raider planned. Since they were bought by Embracer and this was a Square Enix game, I think they are relieved to leave behind this game.

Certinty

As others have said, the worst thing this game did was make people think Guardians of the Galaxy was similar which made it flop.

Guardians is still my game of the generation so far. Amazing story, characters, soundtrack, visuals and attention to detail. Gameplay could be better but the rest more than makes up for it.

FeralEcho

I honest to God never got this argument. Everyone and their mother complained the Avengers in the game look nothing like the movie actors, despite the fact that this is what EVERY. SINGLE. MARVEL GAME. has been doing. So why was that such a problem for THIS game in particular?
It's because they acted like their movie counterparts and more importantly they tried to emulate the movie look for some of them which brings in that descussion.

Marvel's Spiderman had a similar effect with the remastered version where they changed the look of Peter Parker and people starter comparing it to Tom Holland's babyface.I still preffer the original PS4 version of Peter in that game.

Last edited:

Superkewl

Gold Member
give credit where credit is due...at least they supported a product which was pretty much dead on arrival for 2 and a half years.

Saber

Gold Member
Lmao, we all see this coming.

See you guys at the next garbage GaaS try out, when it fails again.

Last edited:

Fake

Episode 2 Whatever GIF

Hope this types of games gonna be gone for good.

Sleep with eyes open Suicide Squad.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Pretty cool that all the DLC will be free and and servers will stay up for MP. This is kinda like an MMO going into maintenance mode without a sub. It's pretty generous, honestly.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Hmm i just wanted to replay the story missions. Can i now choose missions that i want to play?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
For a game as maligned as this has been (and it definitely earned its fair shake) the amount of free post launch content and gameplay updates that were put out and should be commended; this is on top of what is actually a very good hero action brawler. The lack of a meaningful endgame and WOEFUL matchmaking (that still exists I think) was the proverbial "fly in the ointment that was already confirmed to have cancer causing minerals (MTX in this analogy)" but I do think the developers deserve some credit for trying to make their game shine given the roadblocks that were no doubt thrown up by SE and DISNEY.

I legit think this game could have been a textbook case on how you design and develop a GaaS game that is fair for all involved, but the corporate folks had to jump in and do their thing - the original model for post-release characters will always be a spectacular example of how corporate fuckery and how the inability to read a room can absolutely fuck a game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Guardians of the galaxy is plenty AAA though...
Great visuals, amazing story telling and dialogue, and despite what many say, I personally found the gameplay really fun. It was a great adventure and I don't see what's not "AAA" about it. The fact that it's a linear story game? But then uncharted isn't AAA either then.

It's janky and unpolished. Maybe it is still AAA, but then I would have to say Spider-Man (and most other Sony stuff) is AAAA. It's just on a different level.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
You can’t expect developers to support games after release yes todays games are different before you release a game and couldn’t make changes.

sachos

I feel bad for the devs and that they missed a chance on what you would think is the biggest opportunity of their life, making a fucking Avengers game. But damn, it feels good seeing GaaS fail.

Last edited:

wvnative

I hope at some point in the future we get a full blow out on everything that happened behind the scenes, this has to be the one of the biggest fuck ups in gaming history holy shit. Like we know some stuff, engine trouble, bad management but I feel there is a much bigger story here yet to be told.

The game is bad because making an Avengers game a looter shooter was the worst possible way to go about it, but who decided to go that route? CD? Square? Marvel? And did no one along the way say "hey maybe this isn't the right path"?

Also, I know that people like Crystal Dynamics, but imo, they always seemed a huge red flag to hire for a live service avengers game, such a game is so wildly out of their wheelhouse, nothing wrong with trying new things but they just jumped from tomb raider, a cinematic single player AAA game, to an online live service looter shooter with several playable characters with different movesets and a much more in depth combat system compared to TR. With never really even having made any multiplayer games before let alone managing a live service.

Mistakes were made.

Also fascinating they are straight up delisting it, would love to know the reason for that.

Is it me, or now is the right time to buy the game? 🤔
It has a campaign that’s worth playing IMO, and it can be fun when you get completely overpowered (mainly as Thor lol). Since it’s getting delisted it‘s kind of a PT situation where you either get it or it’s gone digitally (granted this is way more of a time window), and physical copies might actually end up being actually being worth more than a buck now lol.

In an odd way it’s the probably the best way to play the game from the March date where everything get’s turned free.

If you can find it cheap as hell it’s definitely a decent buy at this point.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
Enjoyed it for what I got out of it on the low sale price. All cosmetics for free. Damn that's a win for me for being patient for once.

Larxia

It's janky and unpolished. Maybe it is still AAA, but then I would have to say Spider-Man (and most other Sony stuff) is AAAA. It's just on a different level.
Janky and unpolished? How so?
I found it way more memorable than spider-man (although spider-man is cool for the free roam, but the campaign of guardians is just wayyy better, and I really don't see what's janky about it, I though it was fantastic).

MAX PAYMENT

Avengers is better than GOTG. yeh i said it. I could only tolerate about 3 hours of GOTG. I have hundreds of hours in Avengers.
The maps, banter, cutscenes and everything in GOTG were cool. But the combat sucked. Every character in Avengers plays better than Star Lord. Heck Star Lord in Ultimate Alliance 3 might be more fun than the one in GOTG. Whoever pitched a GOTG game where u just play as Star Lord is an idiot.

hey....want to play an X-Men game where u can only control Cyclops?
Wtf... GOTG was actually very good.

Pimpbaa

The developer who made the worst of the modern Tomb Raider trilogy makes the better marvel game (GOTG).

Avengers is better than GOTG. yeh i said it. I could only tolerate about 3 hours of GOTG. I have hundreds of hours in Avengers.
The maps, banter, cutscenes and everything in GOTG were cool. But the combat sucked. Every character in Avengers plays better than Star Lord. Heck Star Lord in Ultimate Alliance 3 might be more fun than the one in GOTG. Whoever pitched a GOTG game where u just play as Star Lord is an idiot.

hey....want to play an X-Men game where u can only control Cyclops?
I’m kind of on your side here, but this forum will never believe you. The gameplay in Avengers was the best part of Avengers. Everything felt smooth, and things combined and combo’d amazingly. It had a really good ‘flow’ and good dodge and block mechanics.

What really sucks here is that people will always think otherwise because that golden nugget of great and varied action gameplay was wrapped around a giant turd of monetization, bad mission design, bad enemy design, and bad endgame design.

There will never be another game for a long, long time that will give me the unique amount of fun that I did with throwing Captain America’s shield to combo it into multiple enemies while I launched one in the air for a small air combo, caught the shield, and slammed down as a finisher, then quickly used it to deflect a missile back to an enemy and do the charging star move from MvC afterward.

That just doesn’t exist anywhere else, because Captain America’s combat style and shield with weird comic book physics is unique in itself and doesn’t exist in any other game.

Soodanim

Gold Member
You know how health and safety disasters become case studies for people to learn from in the future? This should be shown in board rooms to show executives what happens when you put out shitty cash grabs instead of making products people want to buy.

It sounds like there was some good in there, but it was all lost behind the money grabbing shit, and that put people off. Shame for the devs who worked hard on it

Last edited:
Top Bottom