• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers is being discontinued"

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Janky and unpolished? How so?
I found it way more memorable than spider-man (although spider-man is cool for the free roam, but the campaign of guardians is just wayyy better, and I really don't see what's janky about it, I though it was fantastic).

How is it janky? It just is, there are small glitches everywhere and it just doesn't feel as polished and smooth as what you get in Sony games. Kinda like Jedi Fallen Order, another really good but unpolished game.

geary

Do you know if you still be able to play it offline? Or it's over, you never will be able to play this again?

Skifi28

Hey, just a reminder that the game is getting delisted in a few days (September 30). It seems to be on sale right now just about everywhere and can be had for the price of coffee (got it on steam for 4 euros and I believe it's 5 on PSN). It might not be the best game ever, but for that price and after all the MTX was removed it might be worth adding it to your library before it's lost forever (at least digitally).

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Hey, just a reminder that the game is getting delisted in a few days. It seems to be on sale right now just about everywhere and can be had for the price of coffee (got it on steam for 4 euros and I believe it's 5 on PSN). It might not be the best game ever, but for that price and after all the MTX was removed it might be worth adding it to your library before it's lost forever (at least digitally).

I already bought it.

Larxia

Hey, just a reminder that the game is getting delisted in a few days (September 30). It seems to be on sale right now just about everywhere and can be had for the price of coffee (got it on steam for 4 euros and I believe it's 5 on PSN). It might not be the best game ever, but for that price and after all the MTX was removed it might be worth adding it to your library before it's lost forever (at least digitally).
I bought it and played it a few weeks ago during a previous sale on steam this summer. Like you said, it was very cheap and even with all the negative feedback from everyone, I decided to buy it so I wouldn't regret it later when it's not available, I did hear the campaign was actually decent.

After playing it, I can say that I don't regret my purchase or my time spent on the game at all.
It's definitely not the best game ever, and I don't understand how Square Enix could believe this had enough content to be a service game, but the campaign was honestly totally decent / enjoyable. I don't know if it's that much of a compliment, but as a comparison and example, I think that Avengers in its current state is a better game than Gotham Knights for example.

The gameplay is really quite good, combats are fun, the different heroes offer some good variety, I think the game is definitely worth it just for the campaign.

The end game content is where it sucks. It's incredibly repetitive, it's always the same maps, the same objective, it's not really interesting, even in coop, so I would only recommend to do the main story and if you want more, the additional "dlc" campaigns, even if they are a lot more generic than the initial story (to be honest all missions that can be played in multiplayer share the exact same structure, you recognize them instantly, it's a shame, the best missions in the main story are the ones that are single player only).

Also something really important because it's way too rare, I think what Square Enix / Crystal Dynamics did to end this game is actually really good. When a game fail, most publishers would just decide to close the servers and that's it, making the game either uncomplete or even unplayable at all. Here they decided to remove ALL the microtransactions, everything is included, you get the full complete experience, and on top of that, I don't know how it is on console but on PC the game's online uses Steam directly, meaning it will still be playable online even after being delisted. We get a complete package with a still functionning online, that's really great for preservation and I wish more publishers would do this when they decide to close a game.

It's also worth noting that I say all of this as someone who hates grind, so if you're like me and just want some fun without going into heavy grind, it's still worth it.

My favorite character was Kate Bishop, I had a lot of fun playing as her and I didn't expect to enjoy it this much :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Larxia

Is that the definitive edition that is currently discounted on the PSN store? Might pick it up myself if that is the case.
Yes the definitive edition includes all the costumes, and it's really a lot, I dont' know how many there are in total but some characters have literally hundreds of outfits (obviously there's some color swap here and there, but it's still huge). It even includes a lot of outfits from the MCU movies if you want something that looks more like the movies.

Stitch

Gold Member
btw don't select "Start Game" because for some reason this starts a mode AFTER the campaign

A warning to new players: SELECT "OPERATIONS" TO START THE MAIN CAMPAIGN!

Main menu gives you two options, 'Start Game' which describes the "Earth's mightiest heroes have assembled to defeat AIM...". The middle option is 'Operations' which has the description "Reunite the Avengers in the Reassemble campaign...". If you select 'Start Game' you will see a story spoiling recap.

How is anyone meant to know the option NOT called 'Start Game' which uses words like "reunite" and "reassemble" is the FIRST campaign you're meant to start with?

Are all the costumes etc...free until the 30th and then they are gone?

So, in other words, log in and grab them before then?
I have the same question here as I have the disc version and haven't played it since it received the PS5 upgrade 2 years ago. I'd prefer not to miss on the free swag/costumes if I can help so I'd like to know if I should install it or not before Sept 30.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I bought this on release thinking that, after Spider-Man and with a company like Crystal Dynamics as the developer, this was a surefire hit.

There have only been a few games that I was disappointed with quite as much as I was with this one and I don't regret seeing it go away forever.

I have the same question here as I have the disc version and haven't played it since it received the PS5 upgrade 2 years ago. I'd prefer not to miss on the free swag/costumes if I can help so I'd like to know if I should install it or not before Sept 30.
Probably, better to just install and check.

I've got it already installed so I might just take 5 minutes to look later on.

Larxia

Are all the costumes etc...free until the 30th and then they are gone?

So, in other words, log in and grab them before then?
No you get it all forever. They did a really good job with the closure of this game, making sure all players would have access to ALL the content forever, while also making sure the multiplayer would stay available even after being closed (at least on PC, not sure about consoles). The game might not be the best, but it's a great example of what to do for preservation when you decide to close a game, you get a complete package that you own, can be played offline etc.

Skifi28

btw don't select "Start Game" because for some reason this starts a mode AFTER the campaign
I wish I had seen this before starting the game as I was confused. Here's a question though, I believe the game originally started with an introduction mission where you played as multiple avengers. The first campaign in operations seems to start with Kamala's DLC, has the order of story missions changed or do I remember things wrong? Seems a bit of a mess.

Last edited:

Larxia

I wish I had seen this before starting the game as I was confused. Here's a question though, I believe the game originally started with an introduction mission where you played as multiple avengers. The first campaign in operations seems to start with Kamala's DLC, has the order of story missions changed or do I remember things wrong? Seems a bit of a mess.
What do you mean by Kamala's DLC? The first mission in the story is the mission as kid Kamala during the Avengers Day festival. It's not dlc, this was always the start of the game, if that's what you are talking about.

But YES, do not select this "start game" thing, although if you do take the time to read the description, it does say that it's to start the game with everything already unlocked, which render the game kind of... pointless, only the grind remains. If you want the regular experience with the story mode in order, unlocking things progressively etc, you have to select the "operations" menu.

The start now option is kind of like when Destiny 2 new light released, they made you start with a character already at lvl 20 and everything, with no progression, it's for people who just want the end game grind and don't want to go through a story.

It's much better to play it in the original way it was designed, with the progression, you will see your base evolving etc, it's a more natural experience.

Last edited:

Skifi28

What do you mean by Kamala's DLC? The first mission in the story is the mission as kid Kamala during the Avengers Day festival. It's not dlc, this was always the start of the game, if that's what you are talking about.
Ok, my bad then. I played a trial of the game years ago and didn't recall that part. I didn't continue now as I wasn't sure if I was playing the actual campaign or it was a dlc campaign. Glad we cleared that up.

Larxia

Ok, my bad then. I played a trial of the game years ago and didn't recall that part. I didn't continue now as I wasn't sure if I was playing the actual campaign or it was a dlc campaign. Glad we cleared that up.
If you haven't played a lot yet, I'd recommend looking if you can't just delete your save and start fresh without picking this "start now" option, it would make your whole playthrough more enjoyable and less confusing.

Skifi28

If you haven't played a lot yet, I'd recommend looking if you can't just delete your save and start fresh without picking this "start now" option, it would make your whole playthrough more enjoyable and less confusing.
Yeah, first thing I'm doing. Thanks!

I haven't touched this since Black Panther released. God, that was painful raid before people found out what needed to be done. And even then the platforming was shit.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I haven't touched this since Black Panther released. God, that was painful raid before people found out what needed to be done. And even then the platforming was shit.

Can you spoiler tag what this means? Is it like some kind of fucked up story thing or just bad gameplay?

DaGwaphics

Went ahead and grabbed it even though I wasn't super thrilled with the campaign. I'll jump back into it at some point and it was only $4.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Went ahead and grabbed it even though I wasn't super thrilled with the campaign. I'll jump back into it at some point and it was only $4.
$4 seems like the right price for the campaign.

I got it for $60 when it launched and resold it as soon as I had finished the story.

Can you spoiler tag what this means? Is it like some kind of fucked up story thing or just bad gameplay?
Not really much of a spoiler. Raids in Avengers needs 4 people. Getting 4 together for endgame content in a dead game is not easy. Prior to the Wakanda raid, the game requires very little in term of coordination. The first raid against AIM can practically be solo'd if it wasn't for a section where a person needs to defend a point while others did the objective. The Wakanda raid has puzzles where you need to coordinate all 4 people on who should be where. In a game with no built in text chat and most people don't use a mic. If a single person quits mid-raid, then the entire run is wasted cause you need all 4. Unlike games with proper raids, there are no rewards for each stage, the rewards only comes at the end. It was a gigantic waste of time unless you run with a coordinated group.

Mods should give me a tag: Patron Saint of Shit Games
Also yes, I pre-ordered. Actually I pre-ordered for both PS4 and Steam. Though since I last played 2021 then maybe I'm disqualified. I'm kind of tempted to gift it to a bunch of people I know but I know they won't touch this crap even if I'm the one paying.

wHjHtNf.jpg

Laieon

I bought it and played it a few weeks ago during a previous sale on steam this summer. Like you said, it was very cheap and even with all the negative feedback from everyone, I decided to buy it so I wouldn't regret it later when it's not available, I did hear the campaign was actually decent.

After playing it, I can say that I don't regret my purchase or my time spent on the game at all.
It's definitely not the best game ever, and I don't understand how Square Enix could believe this had enough content to be a service game, but the campaign was honestly totally decent / enjoyable. I don't know if it's that much of a compliment, but as a comparison and example, I think that Avengers in its current state is a better game than Gotham Knights for example.

The gameplay is really quite good, combats are fun, the different heroes offer some good variety, I think the game is definitely worth it just for the campaign.

I played it at launch (and wasn't interested in the MTX stuff so didn't touch it since), but this is ultimately how I felt about it too. To me, it almost felt like two entirely different development teams that worked on it, some of the levels were very clearly trying to push MTX on you, while others (usually more linear, story focused ones), were quite fun, like that part where you first run into Hulk and he's chasing you around the ship. It's a short, enjoyable B-tier game.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bought the game for $3.99, although I had already played it when it came to PS Now.

But the kids in my family would love playing as Iron Man and Captain America -- because those idiots do not yet know what a GaaS is.

Larxia

I played it at launch (and wasn't interested in the MTX stuff so didn't touch it since), but this is ultimately how I felt about it too. To me, it almost felt like two entirely different development teams that worked on it, some of the levels were very clearly trying to push MTX on you, while others (usually more linear, story focused ones), were quite fun, like that part where you first run into Hulk and he's chasing you around the ship. It's a short, enjoyable B-tier game.
Yes exactly. When I started the story, I was really surprised by how it felt like a... "real" game? And not just a multiplayer service game. You have some enjoyable story missions that feel like a real single player game. I also remember when during the campaign I started a mission that for the first time was multiplayer compatible, and it was suuuch a different design. All the missions that can be played online have a very basic structure, it's usually larger maps, with objective such as "capture all 5 zones" "protect this door for 5 minutes" etc... Completely different game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Bought it just now for like $4. It'll be interesting to play it now and compare to Guardians which.... don't actually have great combat gameplay unfortunately, but everything else is exceptional and mind-blowing.

Holammer

Mods should give me a tag: Patron Saint of Shit Games
Also yes, I pre-ordered. Actually I pre-ordered for both PS4 and Steam. Though since I last played 2021 then maybe I'm disqualified. I'm kind of tempted to gift it to a bunch of people I know but I know they won't touch this crap even if I'm the one paying.

wHjHtNf.jpg
The pain of gifting good games and the unwashed brutes never play them.
Gifted lots of copies of Terraria & Undertale myself.

No you get it all forever. They did a really good job with the closure of this game, making sure all players would have access to ALL the content forever, while also making sure the multiplayer would stay available even after being closed (at least on PC, not sure about consoles). The game might not be the best, but it's a great example of what to do for preservation when you decide to close a game, you get a complete package that you own, can be played offline etc.
That's great then.

I'd assumed they were shutting servers down on the 30th so if you didn't grab it by then you wouldn't be able to grab it all.

Bought it just now for like $4. It'll be interesting to play it now and compare to Guardians which.... don't actually have great combat gameplay unfortunately, but everything else is exceptional and mind-blowing.
Expect the opposite of this with Avengers. Good combat mechanics with mediocre storytelling, level design, and world building.

PSYGN

The end game content is where it sucks. It's incredibly repetitive, it's always the same maps, the same objective, it's not really interesting, even in coop, so I would only recommend to do the main story and if you want more, the additional "dlc" campaigns, even if they are a lot more generic than the initial story (to be honest all missions that can be played in multiplayer share the exact same structure, you recognize them instantly, it's a shame, the best missions in the main story are the ones that are single player only).

Also something really important because it's way too rare, I think what Square Enix / Crystal Dynamics did to end this game is actually really good. When a game fail, most publishers would just decide to close the servers and that's it, making the game either uncomplete or even unplayable at all. Here they decided to remove ALL the microtransactions, everything is included, you get the full complete experience, and on top of that, I don't know how it is on console but on PC the game's online uses Steam directly, meaning it will still be playable online even after being delisted. We get a complete package with a still functionning online, that's really great for preservation and I wish more publishers would do this when they decide to close a game.

It's also worth noting that I say all of this as someone who hates grind, so if you're like me and just want some fun without going into heavy grind, it's still worth it.

My favorite character was Kate Bishop, I had a lot of fun playing as her and I didn't expect to enjoy it this much :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Hmm the game looks fun just from that short video. I never played it before

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Good combat mechanics
even this is a no go when you get to higher levels, because of incessant stunlocking, vision obscuring, shields and off screen ranged attacks; it completely ruins whatever good core they had.
The game is genuinely a good time when you are working on your first character, and going through the story, but anything afterwards is just an insane repetitive grind fighting the same robots over and over again.

even this is a no go when you get to higher levels, because of incessant stunlocking, vision obscuring, shields and off screen ranged attacks; it completely ruins whatever good core they had. The game is genuinely a good time when you are working on your first character, and going through the story, but anything afterwards is just an insane repetitive grind fighting the same robots over and over again.

They fixed some of this(just some) with the final patch, along with unlocking all of the MTX suits. They always had the capability to do it but they wanted people to keep grinding like it was Destiny 🤷‍♂️

I'll always stand by the fact that aside from enemy balancing, this game is the most fun I've ever had playing characters like Captain America, Black Widow, Black Panther, Hawkeye, Kate, Iron Man, Ms. Marvel, and Thor. Spiderman and Hulk could have used more work, but at least they have great solo games to make up for this negative.

That Captain America gameplay was so good and well developed though that it stood above and beyond the others. They could have easily used it alone to spin-off into a CA solo game.

poodaddy

Is this on sale on PS5? I generally get most third parties on Series X, but I wouldn't wanna miss Spiderman, which I believe is still exclusive to PS right? How is he as a character? I played a bit of this on Series X when it was on Gamepass and I got bored quick, but I kinda wanna grab it just so I can return to it should I ever feel the need.

Top Bottom