• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers reportedly shutting down in 2023

Draugoth

Gold Member
ttps://exputer.com/news/marvels-avengers-imperfect-past-present-future/

Marvels-Avengers.jpg.webp

Sources tell me that Waggoner’s time at Crystal Dynamics will end with Marvel’s Avengers and that the studio was already in preparation to sunset the title in 2023 when the scandal erupted, an ironic final chapter for a game that was once the subject of a collaboration with the Ad Council on their Emmy award-winning “Love Has No Labels” diversity PSA campaign.

anthony2690

Banned
They should've just made it a single player game, it probably would've been much better recieved too then.

I enjoyed my time on the series X going through the main game (even more than Myles Morales and guardians of the galaxy)

But I lost interest quickly when the end game came up.

I know my opinion is probably the minority.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Good. I would want to say that it'll convince more studios to pick the Guardians of the Galaxy game route, but that potential gaas money is hard to pass on.

Literally surprising no one. God what a waste of money... it could've been so good but they squandered it! They didn't make Tomb Raider reboot 3rd game because they were so busy with this dumb game that turned out to be something no one wanted.

Last edited:

FBeeEye

Banned
With the cost of Disney licensing royalties, this game was always only going to stay alive as long as annual revenue > licensing fees.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm legit amazed this hasn't shut down half a year ago. They must be hemorrhaging money at this point.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Did anyone ever play this online? Lol
I mean I played a lot offline when it launched but never online.

What a waste. Could of been something fun and memorable, instead they designed it to be tedious to drag more money from the player beyond the $60 day one entry fee.

Certinty

What a total waste of a game. Each character actually plays well and the game looks nice visually. Shame everything else is just pure bad though, this really could have been something incredible.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m surprised they feel it has been worth it to keep it going thus far, let alone into 2023.

Doom85

They should've just made it a single player game, it probably would've been much better recieved too then.

I enjoyed my time on the series X going through the main game (even more than Myles Morales and guardians of the galaxy)

But I lost interest quickly when the end game came up.

I know my opinion is probably the minority.

Nah, I’m with you, game was decent to me in the main story aspect. Only character of the original six who felt off to me gameplay wise was Black Widow. Cap, Ms. Marvel, and Hulk were my favorites to play. Iron Man and Thor were decent. The sections where Iron Man was flying to rock music were cool.

But there wasn’t much meat after that. Like, IIRC, didn’t getting better gear for you heroes just upscale every single mission‘s enemies to match it? So what’s the point of better loot? All the Borderlands games I’ve played keep the enemies of an area at the same level, so when you get better gear, it makes a difference. Didn’t seem to make a difference in Avengers.

begotten

This game has been getting updated regularly right, is it actually worth checking out at all or is it not much different from how it launched?

The sections where Iron Man was flying to rock music were cool.
Man I couldn't disagree more. Iron Man flying around at what feels like 5 mph is not fun at all and feels totally incongruous with the character.

On the other hand, Iron Man flying around to off-brand AC/DC completely matches the off-brand character designs.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I'm sure they had bigger plans for new content and all that, but the launch was terrible and the matchmaking did more to separate the community than anything else. When will these companies learn that launch is the most critical time to gain long term support?

Top Bottom