• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_l2jxj40ja71qa4q3po1_500.jpg

I'm really excited about this news, a Daredevil show on the level of Arrow would be awesome!

I really hope Scott Adkins is in talks for either the Iron Fist or Daredevil roles :)

Mafro

Absolutely massive news for Netflix. I was wanting a Daredevil TV series rather than a movie when it was announced Marvel got the rights back. I guess the Jessica Jones show is the one that was turned down by ABC a few years ago. HYPED for the Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows, although it's odd they are separate as surely having them both in a Heroes for Hire show makes more sense?

watershed

Banned
I hope Daredevil is awesome. The movie wasn't bad but I feel like there is so much more to the character than can be shown across an entire series.

Blader

Absolutely massive news for Netflix. I was wanting a Daredevil TV series rather than a movie when it was announced Marvel got the rights back. I guess the Jessica Jones show is the one that was turned down by ABC a few years ago. HYPED for the Luke Cage and Iron Fist shows, although it's odd they are separate as surely having them both in a Heroes for Hire show makes more sense?

Marvel had been writing a script for an Immortal Iron Fist movie, so maybe/hopefully that'll be used as source material for the new Iron Fist tv series? In which case it'd make sense keeping them separate.

Be interesting to see how this goes. They are obviously smart to do Daredevil first since he is the most known character. They better bring that quality if they hope to rope people into the lesser-knowns that will follow.

If the TV shows are the quality of Shield then count me out.

I'm going to guess they are going for something completely different.

Cartman86

Banned
Can't wait for the crazy comic book equivalent of a reading list if these shows ending up being "on" at the same time. The way it's worded it appears like the plan is for them to be one after the other, but if successful we'll see where it goes. I think it would be awesome if it was treated almost like one series. Daredevil comes out in January, Jessica Jones in April etc. every year.

Shinta

Banned
Hope you guys like martial arts.

The history of martial arts in TV shows is not really all that good ... Green Hornet, Vanishing Son? So I hope they can step it up and create really top tier action scenes. Casting will be interesting since they need to be able to act but their only super powers are just martial arts training for the most part ... so that has to be a top consideration too.

Hopefully this isn't some Hercules/Xena level action choreography.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

I can't.

I just can't.

Can't wait for the crazy comic book equivalent of a reading list if these shows ending up being "on" at the same time. The way it's worded it appears like the plan is for them to be one after the other, but if successful we'll see where it goes. I think it would be awesome if it was treated almost like one series. Daredevil comes out in January, Jessica Jones in April etc. every year.
If they are smart Jessica Jones and Luke Cage's shows will have some overlap, either in terms of scheduling or plot. Same with Iron Fist. Daredevil could work as a standalone product, but this shit would shine if their main characters guest starred in each other show's.

Netflix continues to justify my monthly subscription to them.

My thought on SHIELD are this. Yea, SHIELD suck sometimes, but I hope the momentum from this past week continues as it was a good episode for the show (I kinda wish they had Iron Man show up for that one scene though). Also, with the rumored Thor 2 episode I hope it pays off for ABC and shows that the audience wants things like this so they can do some more heavy cinematic universe tie-in stuff instead of "bad guy of the week" episodes

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Heroes for Hire please, Marvel.

Also, I wonder if they'll bring Chris Evans as Cap for the Defenders.

Effect

Marvel just straight clowning DC at this point

Not so fast. This could go in a bad direction in the end. We all thought Shield would be excellent after The Avengers but it's anything but. Meanwhile Arrow is a runaway train of awesomeness. I just hope it doesn't crash. However since this is not going to be on network TV here's hoping they don't hold back where it's appropriate. As long as Luke and Jessica end up together I'm there.

Gambit

Great news!

The Jessica Jones show is the one I am most interested in. One thing worries me, though. If all these characters get their own shows, who will be the supporting characters?

Jessica Jones show should feature Luke Cage for example. Or Luke Cage & Iron Fist.

Now how about a Hawkeye show in the style of the new series?

This sounds fantastic, but only one of those four characters has any Defenders connection. And are they really going to present 2015 Hell's Kitchen as "gritty?"

Blader

Hope you guys like martial arts.

The history of martial arts in TV shows is not really all that good ... Green Hornet, Vanishing Son? So I hope they can step it up and create really top tier action scenes. Casting will be interesting since they need to be able to act but their only super powers are just martial arts training for the most part ... so that has to be a top consideration too.

Hopefully this isn't some Hercules/Xena level action choreography.

I don't watch it, but doesn't Arrow have some pretty good stunt work?

kinda wish the Punisher was there instead of a standalone Iron Fist series (he deserves a movie damn it) but shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Kunan

Holy shit this sounds amazing! And leading to a Defenders mini series? Awesome.

Great to see that there is an outlet for a bigger breadth of Marvel's characters outside of the juggernauts, and the mini series finale suggests they will really be pushing them strongly in their own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom