• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel’s “Eternals” Reviews Are In; if you like Thor : The Dark World then you’ll love this!

bitbydeath

The first critics reviews for Marvel Studios’ “Eternals” are now out and with 39 reviews counted on Rotten Tomatoes, the film sits at 72% and 6.3/10.
That puts it as the third-worst of the MCU films to date, behind “Iron Man 2” (72% & 6.5/10), but ahead of both “The Incredible Hulk” (67% & 6.2/10) and “Thor: The Dark World” (66% & 6.2/10).
Reviews are divisive, but even the positive ones seem to have many caveats.
Here’s a sampling of quotes:
“Zhao seamlessly uses expert filmmaking skills weaned on a smaller scale to great effect on this HUGE canvas.” – Pete Hammond, Deadline

“You walk out in the depressing realization that you’ve just seen one of the more interesting movies Marvel will ever make, and hopefully the least interesting one Chloé Zhao will ever make.” – Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

“With characters and concepts this strong, Zhao’s quite right to take her time.” – Charlotte O’Sullivan, London Evening Standard

“A convoluted cosmic misfire and one of Marvel’s dullest efforts in years.” – Rodrigo Perez, The Playlist

“It’s constantly engaged in a kind of grit-toothed authenticity theatre, going out of its way to show you it’s doing all the things proper cinema does, even though none of them bring any discernible benefit whatsoever to the film at hand.” – Robbie Collin, Daily Telegraph

“Can’t these movies do anything else? Is it too much to ask the most dominant kind of cinema on the planet to shake things up and challenge itself in a more significant way?” – David Ehrlich, indieWire

“It’s not exactly boring – there’s always something new to behold – but nor it is particularly exciting, and it lacks the breezy wit of Marvel’s best movies.” – Steve Rose, The Guardian

“While not without messiness and over-plotting that bogs down and overcomplicates the narrative, Eternals succeeds as a vast and unrepentantly serious bit of world-building with a moral quandary at its center.” – Esther Zuckerman, Thrillist

“The depth of feeling helps counter the choppy storytelling in this new tangent in the MCU narrative.” – David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter

“After so many Marvel movies that give lip service to the thornier ramifications of its hero narratives, there’s an earnestness to the operatic stakes in “Eternals” that somehow helps fuse what’s physically spectacular and philosophical about it.” – Robert Abele, TheWrap

“Eternals may not be the worst of Marvel’s movies, but it’s undoubtedly the most disappointing.” – Nicholas Barber, BBC.com

“Director Chlo Zhao’s entry into the superhero world is assured, ambitious and told on a dizzyingly cosmic scale- but even it can’t escape the cliches of superhero storytelling.” – John Nugent, Empire Magazine

RCU005

The trailers couldn't have been more boring.

This whole Marvel phase feels so incredibly trite.
I think the biggest issue with phase 4 is that it has been delayed so much, and have been delayed yet again. I believe Marvel scheduled 3 movies per year to keep it moving fast so that people remained hooked, but with all these delays, it has been going against them.

I bet the Eternals, even if it's not a great movie, it would start something about future movies, but now, those movies will come much later and the wait will be much longer, making it more susceptible for people to not care. Also, remember that this movie was going to come out before every phase 4 tv show and movie that has released (and delayed) so far. This is probably more of a setup movie than anything else.

The same thing happened with Black Widow. It's an average movie, but had ir released on its original date, many people would've been excited coming from Endgame hype, and that hype would've continued all the way through many phase 4 movies. Wandavision kept the hype, but made Black Widow irrelevant because people were more interested in what's coming, and Loki made it even worse for the movie.

Eternals might be in the same exact position.

nush

Gold Member
It's worth noting that's the scores with the super diverse cast and openly gay character bonus points.

Actual user scores are going to be brutal.

It's also got Thanos's brother in it, that's probably adding a %.

Last edited by a moderator:

nush

Gold Member
Just remember it won't be a bomba because it will be the biggest movie released on:-
bcHMgFh.png

...during a pandemic.

Alx

Why is Iron Man 2 so low ? It may have been a disappointment after the expectations created by the first one, but it has Black Widow at her sexiest plus Tony Stark building a cyclotron in his basement with a wrench and a hammer !

nush

Gold Member
Why is Iron Man 2 so low ? It may have been a disappointment after the expectations created by the first one, but it has Black Widow at her sexiest plus Tony Stark building a cyclotron in his basement with a wrench and a hammer !

Studio interference basically, it's not the movie it was planned to be.

sol_bad

I don't get the Iron Man 2 hate or Iron Man 3, they are both good films. The only thing I didn't like in IM2 was the whole creating a new element sub story. I wish they came up with something else to cure the palladium poisoning.

Wildebeest

The MCU has the advantages that you either have some idea who the characters are going in or that they are funny or memey in some way. The "eternals" seem to have neither of those qualities.

iorek21

Whilst the tv shows have been very solid, Phase 4 films seem to be in for a very slow start.

Hopefully things get more exciting now with Spidey, Strange and Thor.

Fbh

Normally I'd say if critics don't universally love it, it might actually be a good sign.

But when it scores badly even with all the bonus woke points (diverse cast, gay characters, minority female director) it's not a good sign.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I am a fan of the MCU and comics. I never got into The Eternals back when Kirby was doing it and I am not at all interested in this. I don't think anyone can relate to these people like other Earth-based shows like Spider-Man, Avengers or Iron Man. I'll watch it later when it's streaming but not going to the theater to see it.

I am a fan of the MCU and comics. I never got into The Eternals back when Kirby was doing it and I am not at all interested in this. I don't think anyone can relate to these people like other Earth-based shows like Spider-Man, Avengers or Iron Man. I'll watch it later when it's streaming but not going to the theater to see it.
Exactly, there are so many other lesser known Marvel heroes that people care about or at least can relate to. Hell, they could have made a west coast avengers which would have been preferable to this.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I wonder if in 25 years, we'll look back and say "yep, Covid killed the MCU". Films like this are fine when it felt like we were moving foward in time, but everything feels like its ground to a hault. In terms of canon timeline the plot is stilll basically at "immediately after End Game" and hasnt felt like we've moved into anything more than an epilogue sense then.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Far From Home was the epilogue.
and do you feel we've moved anywhere past that in the last 2 years? Everything except the very end of ten rings feels like its taken place within that same time frame.

Last edited:
and do you feel we've moved anywhere past that in the last 2 years? Everything except the very end of ten rings feels like its taken place within that same time frame.
I think they're just following the same setup they did in phase 1. Do a bunch of small, and isolated stories to introduce the new characters. Then have it slowly build up to a grander battle (Avengers 1). Then after that, the isolated movies are basically unofficial team movies.

Slow and boring, but works better than the DC formula where they cram all the team building into one rushed movie.

It's honestly not that different to me than previous Marvel stuff. I only really enjoyed a handful of Marvel movies: Guardians 1, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Thor Ragnarok. I think that's it. Most of them are kind of going nowhere and don't change a lot of the plot much.

I'm looking forward to Dr. Strange 2 and Thor 4. That's about it. I usually just watch the filler movies when they're $4 rentals, or just skip it.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Exactly, there are so many other lesser known Marvel heroes that people care about or at least can relate to. Hell, they could have made a west coast avengers which would have been preferable to this.
I know they are making a Moon Knight Disney+ show but I want a full-fledged movie (especially since the show is only 6 episodes...I believe). Or how about a REAL Defenders movie (not that CW bullshit).

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
“With characters and concepts this strong, Zhao’s quite right to take her time.” – Charlotte O’Sullivan, London Evening Standard
Ah yes, the deep characters of a comic book universe:

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

The trailer did nothing for me, bunch of people in shiny costumes fighting generic monsters. Honest question why was this even made? No one outside of comics knows or cares about the Eternals. Hard pass for me.

Since when people outside of comics care about comics? Eternals is niche within a niche, and now they even require you to watch all the other 20 movies just to get the 'plot' right.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You know the movie is polarizing when Brandon Davis from comicbook.com (not a great website) gives it a 6/10. The guy eats this stuff for breakfast.

Still, as a fan of the MCU, I’m interested in anything that pushes them out of their comfort zone. I love a good half of their movies but I’ve never been sold on the notion that each Marvel film is it’s own unique type of film - I.e. political thriller, dysfunctional family drama, etc.
nah, they’re all clearly siblings and you can see the resemblance perfectly.

keep pushing the boundaries of what an MCU movie can be and I’ll be there.

cr0w

Old Member
Nothing about this looks compelling to me at all. I gave up on where they wanted to take the MCU after the horrendous bullshit that was Civil War and only saw Endgame under duress. Black Widow, Shang Chi, this, whatever the hell is next in Phase 4...it looks even worse and they're having to scrape the bottom of the character barrel to continue. People who said Iron Man/Cap/Thor were "D-tier" characters before the MCU existed are seeing actual D-tier characters being given movies now. I'd rather see Darkhawk or Quasar get films.

Ah yes, the deep characters of a comic book universe:

Looking Let Me Think GIF by TipsyElves.com

Since when people outside of comics care about comics? Eternals is niche within a niche, and now they even require you to watch all the other 20 movies just to get the 'plot' right.
Agreed about a niche within a niche but many people that don't read comics are fans of Supes, Batman, Spider-Man etc.

tkscz

The dedicated MCU fan will continue watching the movies just because it exist in the universe. Whether it's bad or middling they'll continue to support these movies.

Reminds me of the comics in that way. A lot of those left buying comics are those who still just hold on because they've invested so much time into the universe. I stopped reading them because they writing just isn't that good anymore (IMO). I feel a lot of people will do the same with the movies. Average Joe and Jane will see them as "super hero movies" and not watch while the MCU fan will see every movie because it's MCU.

Nothing about this looks compelling to me at all. I gave up on where they wanted to take the MCU after the horrendous bullshit that was Civil War and only saw Endgame under duress. Black Widow, Shang Chi, this, whatever the hell is next in Phase 4...it looks even worse and they're having to scrape the bottom of the character barrel to continue. People who said Iron Man/Cap/Thor were "D-tier" characters before the MCU existed are seeing actual D-tier characters being given movies now. I'd rather see Darkhawk or Quasar get films.

And here I was thinking I was the only one who thought Civil War was a bad movie built up purely on spectacle.

Last edited:
I knew nothing about Shang Chi before watching it, but I really enjoyed it. Just an avg Joe you can relate to you know?

cr0w

Old Member
The dedicated MCU fan will continue watching the movies just because it exist in the universe. Whether it's bad or middling they'll continue to support these movies.

Reminds me of the comics in that way. A lot of those left buying comics are those who still just hold on because they've invested so much time into the universe. I stopped reading them because they writing just isn't that good anymore (IMO). I feel a lot of people will do the same with the movies. Average Joe and Jane will see them as "super hero movies" and not watch while the MCU fan will see every movie because it's MCU.

I fell out of comics once everything became a multi-part/multi-series event that took a year or more to complete. I was there for Maximum Carnage, Knightfall/Knightquest/Knightsend, The Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen, Fatal Attractions, and Age of Apocalypse. It became exhausting and expensive to keep up with. That's what's keeping me out of the MCU for the most part...I just don't have the time to invest in something that isn't going to pay off until a decade down the line. Give me self-contained stories, damn it.

Top Bottom