• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Flash reviews are in

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The review embargo for The Flash has lifted, and while it's been widely praised by everyone from Tom Cruise to your favourite social media personalities, these verdicts mostly tell a very different story

FuklaFUWwAAufA_.jpg:large

What it amounts to is a movie that spends all its time racing from one poorly-thought out story element to another, from one only modestly satisfying nostalgia shout-out to another, and with only questionable results.
How fitting, yet how disappointing: 'The Flash' has the runs. -
The Wrap

It has taken so long for a feature-length 'The Flash' to finally hit theaters, and he’s too late. Barry is barely the lead character of his own movie. [C] - The Playlist

What’s less persuasive is the CGI, an eyesore that’s particularly gaudy when the finale’s ‘secrets’ drop. The tone is similarly choppy, especially in a climactic punchline that clashes with the film’s emotive developments.
With just Aquaman’s return incoming, the result is a movie that suggests this DCEU had promise, even if its directors couldn’t quite focus it. Time to pass the baton... [3/5] -
Total Film

In its best moments, 'The Flash' touches on something new and exciting, but too often, its the past that tugs on, keeping it from speeding ahead. [B-] - IndieWire

[This] is not a movie with any new ideas or dramatic rethinking, and – at the risk of re-opening the DC/Marvel sectarian wound – nothing to compare with the much-lauded animation experiment in the recent Spider-Man films.
The intellect in this intellectual property is draining away. [2/5] -
The Guardian

The Flash ends on a purposefully open note (and a pretty good joke), so that if the film succeeds at the box office, Miller's Barry can run again another day. If it doesn't, the precedent is set for a full continuity reset.
Whatever DC movies await us in the future, let's hope they avoid multiverses. It's well-trod territory at this point, even for a speedster. [C+] -
Entertainment Weekly

While I have a few complaints and there are a couple of head-scratching loose ends, "The Flash" is still a funny, emotional, action-heavy crowd-pleaser that ranks among the best DC movies ever made. [7.5/10] - Slash Film

Whether or not this was all worth the long development saga and the troubles with its star will, of course, be for individual fans to decide, but there is undeniable entertainment value in The Flash.
It’s sometimes buried under layers and layers of storytelling knots that the film never fully untangles, but the fun is there, and when the film is really working, that turns out to be enough. -
The AV Club

The Flash may have an unwieldy third act and indulges in too much unearned fan service, but that doesn't stop it from being an entertaining and earnest DC superhero film. [7/10] - IGN

[If] a film can give you things that are exciting and heartfelt, all while you laugh and smile along, that’s hard to beat. And The Flash is definitely hard to beat in the conversation of the best DC movies of this era. - Gizmodo

[They] never consider that the time travel aspects make absolutely no sense, and only hurts the larger story in the way that it’s handled here. Thankfully, those antics are enjoyable and hard not to get excited about, but unfortunately, this isn’t a story that holds together on a narrative level. Cameos and fan service are fine to have, but the story has to be there to back them up, and it’s not quite there with The Flash. [C+] - Collider

image.png

image.png

Metacritic
Rotten Tomatoes

The film that Gunn called one of the greatest CBMs ever made

Uh Huh Yes GIF

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I thought this was gonna get heavy praise from everything I’ve heard prior. Not a flash fan and can’t stand Miller but hyped to see Keaton

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Keaton Batman is nothing I will ever miss
And this is it. Sorry but I'm not falling for that nostalgia bait.
The movie is probably not really good, but not terrible either but I do think it would've been better with the original script which had Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Thomas Wayne and Lauren Cohan as Martha Wayne/The Joker.

Another big missed opportunity for DC, next fail: Blue Beetle?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It’ll drop once we get past the shill reviewers. I doubt it’ll stay fresh once it gets past a couple of hundred.

Wasn't touching it with a barge pole anyway, but average to poor reviews make it even less appealing.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I watched the Ign review video. It was very positive, but in the end it was a 7, which seemed very strange. The trailers look good and I will watch it soon.

It’ll drop once we get past the shill reviewers. I doubt it’ll stay fresh once it gets past a couple of hundred.

Wasn't touching it with a barge pole anyway, but average to poor reviews make it even less appealing.
Rotten Tomatoes always conflate their scores for average movies. Something considered a 5/6 out of 10 is an automatic 8 on that site. Metacritic on the other hand has idiots on it too, but they're much harsher in their critique.

BossLackey

Gold Member
No, they don’t. They can easily make it work. Hell, in terms of a connected universe outside of the comics, they beat Marvel to the punch well before them.

K8akWqG.jpg

In the comics, I completely agree. I prefer DC by and large. But it's obviously not working in the movies.

Hugare

Chris Stuckman really enjoyed it

Lets be honest: it cant be worse than other CBMs being released lately.

73% RT is way better than I was antecipating

ManaByte

Gold Member

71% critic score is bad? You guys really want this to fail huh because of Ezra. Stop smoking. I think it's scoring great. Guy is a major douche but Im gonna go see the movie. Keaton Batman is not something I want to miss.
This thread wasn’t made because of Ezra. There’s a certain group of people on campaign to trash the movie on social media and forums because it reboots DC instead of restoring a different version of the universe.

Toots

Gold Member
I hate Ezra as much as the next person, but this film looks fun. Going to see it when it comes out.
I'd go even further : i despise Ezra Miller as a person, but i think he is a good and charismatic actor.
Between him and Jonathan Majors, i must have a thing for toxic dudes :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I'd go even further : i despise Ezra Miller as a person, but i think he is a good and charismatic actor.
Between him and Jonathan Majors, i must have a thing for toxic dudes :messenger_grinning_sweat:
I mean, Robert Downey Jr wasnt exactly church material either, as he did some bad shit, but still ended up cleanin after himself and became a super hero symbol. Not saying, flash actor will end up the same, but yeah..

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Mid at best it seems. Typical for DC. Better than your average dc movie is still pretty crap.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I was 100% going to see this in a movie theater, but this was a bit disappointing. Might wait for streaming.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This thread wasn’t made because of Ezra. There’s a certain group of people on campaign to trash the movie on social media and forums because it reboots DC instead of restoring a different version of the universe.

Bizarrely, there's probably just as many people who hated the DCEU, and aren't interested in this movie because it's still the DCEU.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Seems like an extra 25% Metacritic score is due solely to Keaton being Batman in it.

And it also seems all of the trans supporters praising this movie and Ezra are conveniently brushing off his past and his standing as a shitty human.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Rent free in your mind, and I love to see it.
Keep crying Manabyte.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
They are making a HUGE mistake not doing a full reboot of all the franchises etc. DC seems to have this problem, they want to restart but wont really pull off the bandaid. They did the exact same thing with the New52 comic relaunch. Either reboot the universe or dont, dont hire a new head, announce all these new projects and then claim that somehow you will integrate Flash and Aquaman but apparently not Superman? It is ill conceived and it will come back to bite them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They are making a HUGE mistake not doing a full reboot of all the franchises etc. DC seems to have this problem, they want to restart but wont really pull off the bandaid. They did the exact same thing with the New52 comic relaunch. Either reboot the universe or dont, dont hire a new head, announce all these new projects and then claim that somehow you will integrate Flash and Aquaman but apparently not Superman? It is ill conceived and it will come back to bite them.
Momoa is done as Aquaman after Aquaman 2. He’ll be playing a different character in the reboot, probably Lobo.

nkarafo

No, they don’t. They can easily make it work. Hell, in terms of a connected universe outside of the comics, they beat Marvel to the punch well before them.

K8akWqG.jpg

Nah, it's nonsensical. The difference in power levels between those characters is too immense. Supe would be able to turn everyone in this pic into mush in a few seconds. Batman isn't even a super. He is just a strong guy with gadgets.

They need to be in their separate stories. They completely lost me with all that "universe" crap.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nah, it's nonsensical. The difference in power levels between those characters is too immense. Supe would be able to turn everyone in this pic into mush in a few seconds. Batman isn't even a super. He is just a strong guy with gadgets.

They need to be in their separate stories. They completely lost me with all that "universe" crap.

Spoken like someone who hasnt watched the series. It worked perfectly well for the MCU, worked perfectly fine for the JL movie, the snyder cut. Sit down.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

You can be good at your job and still be a complete scumbag of a person.

Just like you can be bad at your job and be the nicest bloke of all time (Keanu Reeves).

Spoken like someone who hasnt watched the series. It worked perfectly well for the MCU, worked perfectly fine for the JL movie, the snyder cut. Sit down.
For me it's not so much the gap in power, but the blandly uniform tone the series must take on to accommodate all these very different characters. They feel far less special than when they're in their own worlds.

Top Bottom