• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Martha is dead to be censored/edited on PlayStation platforms, PC and Xbox unaffected.

Topher

Gold Member
They censored Devil May Cry even lol.

Kill Me Smh GIF

Fake

I agree. Sony is overreaching. The industry has established effective self-governance for content. If the ESRB gives it a M rating then that should be all Sony should care about.

And open gates for what can or not be consider 'bad'.

I mean, I live in Brazil, do you know Counter Strike is banned here? Wonder why? Because only single custom map made by a brazillian make the entire game been forbidden.
Meanwhile the 'remember, no russian' CoD works here just fine.

Last edited:

Sensei

The developer should've just refused to publish the censored version and opt-out of the platform. But I guess every penny counts for an indie/small studio so I get why they obliged, even though I don't know how much they could make out of it now.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I agree. Sony is overreaching. The industry has established effective self-governance for content. If the ESRB gives it a M rating then that should be all Sony should cares about.

Respectfully, no. They are two separate entities with their own code of standards and distinct governance. A movie can be rated PG, but if I deem it's content inappropriate for my child, I don't defer to the MPAA's judgement.

A.Romero

Fuck that, it's stupid to censor games. At least they didn't deny certification but nothing legal should be off-limits to games. If movies can do it, games should too.

From everything Sony has changed over the years, this kind of shit is what disgusts me the most. Luckily the game is available on other platforms so I guess is Sony's loss. Too bad for people that would like to play the uncut version and don't have access to other platforms.

Topher

Gold Member
Have you people never seen a surgery?

No, and I never want to.

Respectfully, no. They are two separate entities with their own code of standards and distinct governance. A movie can be rated PG, but if I deem it's content inappropriate for my child, I don't defer to the MPAA's judgement.

That's fine, but you are making judgements for you and your child. Here, Sony is making that judgement for you. Not the same.

And I have no knowledge of Sony's "code of standards" beyond them just forcing changes when they see fit to do so. If they want to be open about this then make it clear what those standards are. Right now, it seems like some in the censorship department is just making calls based on "cause I say so".

Last edited:

Aenima

Its a sick and disturbing scene, but i guess that was the developers intentions for that scene. How can videogames grow as a media if we keep censoring anything that we are not confortable with?

Thers a age and content rating system for the games for a reason.

If i was the developer i would just not bothered editing the game just to please the snowflakes at sony that are in charge of this decisions. And if they refused to sell it on they store i would be ok with that.

As a player i refuse to buy any censored game.

Boglin

Don't know why that scene is considered too graphic for Sony considering a lot of other shit in games, including ones they've developed.
Maybe I've just grown thick skin from watching super hardcore movies like "Face/Off".

17oVOcC.jpg

Jyh7gYd.jpg

mortal

Gold Member
This is fucking dumb. Either enforce it in every single game with depictions of gruesome, visceral violence or don't enforce it at all.

The Last of Us Part II is full of brutality.
Grand Theft Auto games are literally criminal simulators that you can murder innocent bystander NPCs in droves.
Resident Evil games are full of grotesques and macabre violence & gore.

The notion that video games, as a medium, are not allowed to push the edge in terms of violence or mature themes is absurd.
If playing or watching those sections made you feel something, then good, the point is to make you feel something.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
And have the weird unnecessary sex scene with abbey's boobs flapping away into the camera.

I loved the game but that shit was weird. Can you imagine the weird looks Druckmann was getting from the women in his studio after seeing that?

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Here, Sony is making that judgement for you

No, Sony is making a judgement for it's product offering and perhaps its brand. You (the proverbial you) have chosen to be a member/consumer of their ecosystem and disagree with them not providing that particular product. Thankfully, there are other platforms that are offering what you desire, as the tweet indicates.

If they want to be open about this then make it clear what those standards are. Right now, it seems like some in the censorship department is just making calls based on "cause I say so".

Fair points but all companies are flexible in how they choose to apply their standards because different situations have different context.

Edit: I was wrong.

Last edited:

Reallink

I think they meant "baby sister" which is a weird way to say younger sister, not actually a baby.

Assuming the YT video is the scene in question, they very clearly "meant" to be disingenuous and intentionally misrepresent the content to engender support for Sony's censorship and outrage at the developers. Which works, as you see even Alt Right FreedomGAF took at 180 to overwhelming approval for Sony when game was supposedly about leatherfacing an infant. Which even if it was, I'd be fine with as I can distinguish shock horror and a polygonal mesh from reality--just as any functional adult should be able to.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
From the ESRB Website:

This a horror adventure game in which players assume the role of a woman (Guilia) trying to solve the mystery of her twin sister's murder. From a first-person perspective, players explore an Italian countryside in 1944, interact with characters, solve puzzles and gather clues to the murder. As the narrative progresses, the game depicts surreal, nightmare sequences of intense violence: Guilia cutting the face off a corpse and wearing its flesh; Guilia cutting a corpse's stomach open and pulling out a dead fetus; a character slitting her wrist open. One sequence depicts a character shooting a bound woman off-screen, then burying the dismembered corpse. The game contains dialogue that references sexual material (e.g., “…[Y]ou're just a useless little slut”; “I'm pregnant with [his] baby. We had sex…”; “…the raping being committed by invading soldiers”). During the course of the game, a corpse is depicted with exposed breasts, and tarot cards include small drawings of nude women. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” are heard in the game.

Honestly, I feel like ESRB messed up with the rating. To me that's definitely an AO rating.

Maogp

To whom "I agree with Sony this time" gtfo and go play with crayons please. There are adults who want to cut a fucking face off and use it as a mask.

It's like Samsung is blocking the Cannibal Holocaust blu ray for use in their br player or LG mp3 player that allows you to play that Marylin Manson album but not the track number 3 because "is disgusting"

Wtf?

Last edited:
Oh No, An Actual Really Disturbing Horror Game!! Lets Censor The Compelling Bits Of Horror And Release Trash Horror Films With Scenes Far Worse Than This!!

Also, One Variant Of This Story (Lady In The Lake) Rectifies This By Allowing You To Save Your Sister After Wearing Her Face And Navigating With Her Vision To Save Her Like It Never Happened!!

Seriously Though, The Horror Gaming Genre While Their Are Still Some Gems Out There Isn't Nearly As Revered As It Used To Be When The Market Was Basically Flooded With Horror Shooters!! And Much Of This Censorship Is Likely Why!! You Can't Take Gaming Seriously As A Meaningful Story Telling Medium If You Continue Censoring It, Might As Well Do The Same With Books And Films Sony!!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
No, Sony is making a judgement for it's product offering and perhaps its brand. You (the proverbial you) have chosen to be a member/consumer of their ecosystem and disagree with them not providing that particular product. Thankfully, there are other platforms that are offering what you desire, as the tweet indicates.

Right.....and that's what I'm doing. Disagreeing.

Top Bottom