• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Hamill defends the Star Wars prequels, angry with about how Jake Lloyd was treat

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sucks that everyone tore him to pieces over that performance. Natalie Portman is a gifted actor and you would never know it if you only saw her in those movies. You can't blame an actor when the script they are reading is obviously bad.

There were lots of talented and intelligent people involved in the prequels that were handed a pile of horseshit and told to sell it to the audience as gold.

I can't even imagine who approved the dialog and writing of those first two movies. Was there no oversight whatsoever?

Hayden Christiansen was truly awful though.

Anytime I see someone take the criticisms of those films beyond what is normal ("I didn't like said film, 3/10") and start shitting on Lucas, Hayden, Lloyd etc, aiming personal insults at them, I know instantly not to bother taking that person seriously as they're almost certainly a childish prick.

mantidor

It sucks that everyone tore him to pieces over that performance. Natalie Portman is a gifted actor and you would never know it if you only saw her in those movies. You can't blame an actor when the script they are reading is obviously bad.

It's the same with Hayden Christensen, and really, any other actor there, Liam Neeson is an incredible actor.

Lucas is just not a good director/writer.

Sapiens

There were lots of talented and intelligent people involved in the prequels that were handed a pile of horseshit and told to sell it to the audience as gold.

I can't even imagine who approved the dialog and writing of those first two movies. Was there no oversight whatsoever?

Hayden Christiansen was truly awful though.

You watch that motherfucker in Shattered Glass and it's fine. Dude looked good on posters too. It was all about the imagery and trailers for Lucas. Dude's set for life, so I don't think he's sweating fans opinions. Also,google his wife to see who he gets pregnant every night.

Meowster

I wish Hayden Christensen had another chance. He took a break from acting because of all the vitriol he received despite being good in other movies (Jumper, Shattered Glass) . At least Natalie Portman started out with Léon and was getting other roles left and right to prove herself. He never really got the chance. But he is rich as hell and has a wonderful girlfriend. Much better than what Lloyd received.

Ivan 3414

You watch that motherfucker in Shattered Glass and it's fine. Dude looked good on posters too. It was all about the imagery and trailers for Lucas. Dude's set for life, so I don't think he's sweating fans opinions. Also,google his wife to see who he gets pregnant every night.

That seems like a much worse fate than being in two Star Wars prequels

Saying TFA isn't creative is weird to me. I think most of SW is creative and having similar plot beats doesn't make it lack creativity IMO. I think they're already setting up Rey and Kylo as a very different hero and villain combo and not everything about the story is the same.

I also think TFA having a similar aesthetic to the OT makes sense as I don't think the galaxy would be that radically different tonally after the Imperial war. I do think the prequels have neat and unique art design but there's also a lot of story beats that are similar there too and while people make fun of the whole it rhymes thing, it's absolutely true.

TPM: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things
ANH: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things
TFA: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things

But they all do their own thing with that concept.

The biggest problem I have is holding the prequels as some sort of higher level of originality when for one they would have benefited from being less original. For example it would have been much better to have Alderaan instead of Naboo. Instead you have both Palpatine and Padme from the planet and yet it completely disappears from the stage. Then you also had tons of references to the OT, like the young versions of every character. Young Obi-Wan, young Darth Vader, young C3PO built by aforementioned young Darth Vader (I think this is the weirdest thing), young Jabba, young emperor, young bail organa sometimes, young boba fett and his dad, young yoda. At least TFA has new characters. TFA was awy less egregious with its "fan service" as well. I mean people complain about Rogue One's Darth Vader scene when the prequels were three movies about Darth Vader. Sure it's supposed to be a tragic tale but it's poorly told so it comes of badly.

Everyone in the prequels performed terribly, with the exception of the Palpatine guy and maybe Christopher Lee (i.e. the hammy evil roles).

Everyone else was terrible, and there are some great actors in there. So I think we can safely say that it's Lucas' fault.

People going after the kid are just terrible people.

A big problem with the prequels was Lucas' writing. Lucas needed someone to polish it. No one speaks the way he writes it's not natural.

Senator Amidala in EP2 : "Perhaps with your mere presence, the mystery surrounding this threat will be revealed".

What? Why would she talk like this?

Safe for Obi-Wan and Palpatine, none of the actors could really handle Lucas' script.

And it shows that strong actors can take flat lines and use their skills to salvage it.

Look at the Opera scene in Ep3. Mcdermid destroys the scene. He has you on the tip of his finger the whole time. Until idiot Christensen says: "Is it possible to learn this power?" His delivery is awful and forced.

Anyways, back to the topic. Jake Lloyd was awful for 2 reasons:
He was terrible child actor, and George Lucas directed him.

A big problem with the prequels was Lucas' writing. Lucas needed someone to polish it. No one speaks the way he writes it's not natural.

Senator Amidala in EP2 : "Perhaps with your mere presence, the mystery surrounding this threat will be revealed".

What? Why would she talk like this?

Safe for Obi-Wan and Palpatine, none of the actors could really handle Lucas' script.

And it shows that strong actors can take flat lines and use their skills to salvage it.

Look at the Opera scene in Ep3. Mcdermid destroys the scene. He has you on the tip of his finger the whole time. Until idiot Christensen says: "Is it possible to learn this power?" His delivery is awful and forced.

Anyways, back to the topic. Jake Lloyd was awful for 2 reasons:
He was terrible child actor, and George Lucas directed him. Although, people ruining his life is petty.

He just said he wouldn't talk shit about Lucas and that Lloyd was treated unfairly. He didn't defend the actual prequel movies themselves because he can't, they're crap. Not "They ruined my childhood" level but they sure aren't any good.

Hunter S.

Most people would defend a 10 year old boy that was only guided by adults. It is outrageous to think people would take their anger out on one so young at the time. People should blame Lucas for the films being mostly below his par.

Everyone in the prequels performed terribly, with the exception of the Palpatine guy and maybe Christopher Lee (i.e. the hammy evil roles).

Everyone else was terrible, and there are some great actors in there. So I think we can safely say that it's Lucas' fault.

People going after the kid are just terrible people.

Even the great Christopher Lee was wasted on those films.
To me, that's the biggest crime of the Prequels.

The prequels deserve the hate they get. Awful , awful movies. But the child actor getting hounded and what not was awful too. The People Vs George Lucas really wasn't anti George it just questioned his position managing the franchise and turning away from filmmaking to a more corporate and profit driven model voided of creative and memorable characters. I mean he wrote scripts from zero to complete in like a couple weeks even though he boasted that he had it all ready to go in his head. Clearly if you watch the making of the prequels he's just totally winging it and often and no one got to offer him any creative feedback as it was always "yes George".

Mark is a solid human being but it's pretty much impossible to defend the prequels as anything other than a below mediocre set of poorly conceived movies. Again I feel bad for Jake , child actors often end up with shit lives after such fame is pushed upon them.

I had no idea people actually went after the kid. I mean he's a terrible actor in everything I've seen him in but so are 99.9% of the child actors out there. That's just how it is.

But people blamed him for how bad the prequels were? He was bad in them but sadly he was the least of those movies' problems.

There's a lot of otherwise very competent actors who were made to look like wooden sticks by the shitty dialogue that Lucas came up with. The only actors who seemed able to overcome it were Ewan Mcgregor and Ian McDarmiad who gloriously hammed up his role as Palpatine/Emperor. So yes, Jake Lloyd absolutely took too much shit for his performance.

Agreed the prequels are really good imho even if they have problems

Its always easy to trash movies but a lot of the things i love about starwars are frok the prequels.

I think most of the bad things that happened to Jake Lloyd were in person, sure the internet didn't help, but he was basically bulled all through middle and high school. Unfortunately, he ended up being really socially different and it has effected him to the point of being really troubled. I don't blame him for "ruining my childhood", he was just a kid and did what the movie and director called for. I do blame him for his current actions.

Surfinn

Glad there's no one in here saying "no he sucks, he deserves it".. was almost expecting it to come. Poor dude was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I wish Hayden Christensen had another chance.

I don't. He's relatively passable in Shattered Glass but he still suffers from the same problems on display in the PT. He seems like a nice guy, and I wish him well, but let's not pretend like he should reprise his role (I really don't think he's a good actor from what I've seen.. he's generally bad in emotional scenes). He had terrible performances in EP2/3, regardless of who was responsible, and I really don't want to see if he can improve from horrible to mediocre just.. because he might be marginally better without a shitty script.

Let me guess, still mad about them shitting on Rogue One?

Ugh. RLM put out two horrid reviews for the last couple SW films. "Diversity is so forced, needs more sex to fulfill my middle age fantasies". Give me a break.

They're straight up hacks now, when it comes to SW reviews. Has nothing to do with whether or not you thought TFA/R1 were good. Their criticism sucks.

Anth0ny

yup, it was never lloyd or hayden's fault

it's all on george. that dialogue made some great actors and actresses sound cringeworthy

Boem

Let me guess, still mad about them shitting on Rogue One?

This wasn't aimed at me, but I'm fine with them shitting on movies I like and liking movies I don't. They're light comedy banter, and it's often funnier to shit on a movie than to like it.

My problem with Redlettermedia is when they started doing their 'forced diversity to please SJW's' business. When they started showing their true feelings about women and black men leading big popcorn movies I lost interest in them pretty quickly. I gave them the benefit of the doubt first (perhaps it was just a poorly worded argument), but they kept going back to that well.

I don't have time for dickheads like that in my life. Has nothing to do with their stuff - I actually used to really like Best of the Worst for example. But when they keep going on about Mary Sue's, SJW's, Disney giving white male jobs to black guys/women for positive press ('which I'm in favor of, but they're doing it so much! It's getting so obvious!'), that's just crossing a very hard line for me, and not something I expected from those guys. You can disagree with me on a movie all you want and I'll still buy you a drink. Sexist and/or racist? Gone from my life.

My other problem is people online (happens here on Gaf too) endlessly spamming their jokes and gifs instead of using their own arguments/thinking up their own jokes. That's very lame, but technically not RLM's fault.

Surfinn

This wasn't aimed at me, but I'm fine with them shitting on movies I like and liking movies I don't. They're light comedy banter, and it's often funnier to shit on a movie than to like it.

My problem with Redlettermedia is when they started doing their 'forced diversity to please SJW's' business. When they started showing their true feelings about women and black men leading big popcorn movies I lost interest in them pretty quickly. I gave them the benefit of the doubt first (perhaps it was just a poorly worded argument), but they kept going back to that well.

I don't have time for dickheads like that in my life. Has nothing to do with their stuff - I actually used to really like Best of the Worst for example.

My other problem is people online (happens here on Gaf too) endlessly spamming their jokes and gifs instead of using their own arguments/thinking up their own jokes. That's very lame, but technically not RLM's fault.

Yup.

"white guy reveals true feelings when fantasies go unfulfilled"

Got it. Done with RLM. Shit is fucking garbage.

Fuchsdh

I wish Hayden Christensen had another chance. He took a break from acting because of all the vitriol he received despite being good in other movies (Jumper, Shattered Glass) . At least Natalie Portman started out with Léon and was getting other roles left and right to prove herself. He never really got the chance. But he is rich as hell and has a wonderful girlfriend. Much better than what Lloyd received.

Yeah I don't really feel bad for Christensen. But he got savaged for his performance when he was old enough that it wasn't going to shatter the guy, and he didn't have to deal with classmates making his life hell. Unless he had mental issues beforehand he was always going to be able to handle it a lot better.

Kids just can't handle a lot of stuff thrown at them, and that's why child actors in general bother me—especially when you're wringing something like trauma or rape scenes out of kids it seems like you should re-evaluate how important your movie is versus the wellbeing of those involved.

They're almost universally bad, as well, which isn't really their fault.

Boem

I did, and it doesn't.

What?

Okay, I have nothing better to do, I'll spell it out for you. Here's the sequence of comments:

1) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229540012#post229540012
2) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229570819#post229570819
3) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229579655#post229579655
4) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229579789#post229579789

And that's where you come in.

I don't really understand where your confusion comes from. It's a conversation. They happen on message boards. People react to each other.

Fjordson

I mean the prequels are as bad as everyone says they are, sorry Mark.

I agree about the stuff about Jake Lloyd and George Lucas, though. Some fans have been way too nasty and personal over the years.

Sanjuro

What?

Okay, I have nothing better to do, I'll spell it out for you. Here's the sequence of comments:

1) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229540012#post229540012
2) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229570819#post229570819
3) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229579655#post229579655
4) http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=229579789#post229579789

And that's where you come in.

I don't really understand where your confusion comes from. It's a conversation. They happen on message boards. People react to each other.

Sure, but not sure how it relates to Jake Lloyd.

Joei

I actually really like Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. /shrugs

Though, yes, the writing leaves a lot to be desired.

Boem

Sure, but not sure how it relates to Jake Lloyd.

...Okay...

First comment in that series:

Can't wait for the Red Letter Media video responding to Hamill's comments by shitting on Jake Lloyd for the whole video for daring to stand up for George Lucas.

Good on Mark for standing up for the kid. Disliking the movies or the acting doesn't give carte blanche to wish the people involved were dead or any of the other hyperbolic shittiness that Star Wars fans have said about people like Lloyd and Lucas.

Which was based on the type of content RLM has been making recently. Someone asked about the RLM-part of that quote and where that low opinion of RLM came from, I reacted to his question, and the fourth guy (the one you quoted) reacted to my post.

Really, it's very simple. It's basically what this places was designed for you know, people sharing thoughts and responding to each other.

Sanjuro

...Okay...

First comment in that series:

Which was based on the type of content RLM has been making recently. Someone asked about the RLM-part of that quote and where that low opinion of RLM came from, I reacted to his question, and the fourth guy (the one you quoted) reacted to my post.

Really, it's very simple. It's basically what this places was designed for you know, people sharing thoughts and responding to each other.

What a world we live in!

Thanks.

Glad there's no one in here saying "no he sucks, he deserves it".. was almost expecting it to come. Poor dude was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't. He's relatively passable in Shattered Glass but he still suffers from the same problems on display in the PT. He seems like a nice guy, and I wish him well, but let's not pretend like he should reprise his role (I really don't think he's a good actor from what I've seen.. he's generally bad in emotional scenes). He had terrible performances in EP2/3, regardless of who was responsible, and I really don't want to see if he can improve from horrible to mediocre just.. because he might be marginally better without a shitty script.

Ugh. RLM put out two horrid reviews for the last couple SW films. "Diversity is so forced, needs more sex to fulfill my middle age fantasies". Give me a break.

They're straight up hacks now, when it comes to SW reviews. Has nothing to do with whether or not you thought TFA/R1 were good. Their criticism sucks.
They criticised Disney's selective diversity. You can have a black male and white female, but God forbid that they have a romance like other Star Wars films. Your interpretation of their criticisms is rather off-base.

Hayden stunk in every role I ever saw him in IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom