• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Hamill defends the Star Wars prequels, angry with about how Jake Lloyd was treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boem

They criticised Disney's selective diversity. You can have a black male and white female, but God forbid that they have a romance like other Star Wars films. Your interpretation of their criticisms is rather off-base.

Nah that's far from the only thing they said about it. They have actually 'called out' Disney (insert Bobby-Lucas pic here) for putting women in the lead of those two movies to please SJW's. Their words. Both in their review segments and their live streams. And they've said stuff like that a number of times.

It's fine to think they're funny at times (I used to), but they do hold some shitty views. It's Rebel Force Radio all over again.

Nah that's far from the only thing they said about it. They have actually 'called out' Disney (insert Bobby-Lucas pic here) for putting women in the lead of those two movies to please SJW's. Their words. Both in their review segments and their live streams. And they've said stuff like that a number of times.

It's fine to think they're funny at times (I used to), but they do hold some shitty views. It's Rebel Force Radio all over again.
Got links?

Boem

Got links?

I honestly don't feel like going through hours of material to find some damning material. Like I said, I don't exactly enjoy watching these guys anymore. Not the kind of homework I'm looking for. The livestreams are all archived I think, so feel free.

Some things of the top of my head: When Joss Whedon criticized Jurassic World for how it used women (I don't remember the movie well enough to remember if I agree with Whedon or not, but that's besides the point for now), RLM started calling him 'Sensitive Joss Whedon', and putting that in the 'brilliant' acronym 'SJW'. They kept going after Whedon as Sensitive JW or SJW for ages after that whenever something with Whedon or someone talking about women's rights in context of movies came up.

For the Star Wars stuff: they repeatedly complained that the female leads wouldn't get into relationships with the male leads in both R1 and TFA, they used the term 'Mary Sue' repeatedly for the both of them, and like I said before, blame Disney for putting minorities/women in the lead purely for good press.

This especially happens in the livestreams, and Rich and Jack are especially shameless in that regard. But a lot of that stuff creeps into the main reviews as well. They basically responded to any criticism by making 'trigger warning' into a running joke. They constantly deflect remarks by simply attributing them to SJW's on social media.

Like I said, I'm not here to tell anyone what to watch and what not to watch. I'm personally just done with them.

Surfinn

Exactly. I don't see the link.

I was responding to someone about RLM, which does have a relation to Jake Lloyd because of their criticism. Sick backseat modding though.

They criticised Disney's selective diversity. You can have a black male and white female, but God forbid that they have a romance like other Star Wars films. Your interpretation of their criticisms is rather off-base.
He wasn't talking about just straight up romance. He complained that there is a lack of sexuality, which is ridiculous as a criticism as including it for the sake of doing so adds nothing to the film. It comes off as "where's my sex?", masquerading as "these characters are sterile". It's shallow, self gratifying bullshit.

The hell is "selective diversity"?

Disney didn't make this film. Lucasfilm did.

Hayden stunk in every role I ever saw him in IMO.

220px-Awakeposter07.jpg

Nah that's far from the only thing they said about it. They have actually 'called out' Disney (insert Bobby-Lucas pic
iLSckQt.jpg

Yeah, it's no real surprise to see the majority of people incorrectly diagnosing the increase in inclusivity with Star Wars are people who also refuse to entertain the notion that Lucasfilm actually has any sort of power with regard to telling Star Wars stories.

Once you start from the notion that the property is being micromanaged to death by faceless executives at Disney, it's easy to proceed from the super-cynical notion that everything is being done as robotically as possible to arrive at the most effeciently-engineered, anti-artistic piece of product possible.

That this cynical worldview tends to overlap with the notion any inclusivity outside of what's (barely) accepted now is pure pandering is also not surprising.

Because once you start from a position that automatically removes any agency by the company actually making the films you don't have to address the notion that the movies are growing more diverse because the company is run by a multicultural collection of mostly female executives and creatives.

Which is why Star Wars is growing more diverse with each movie. Because the people making the fucking movies aren't faceless mouse-eared white men from "DISNEY."

But people don't wanna hear that shit.

Oh yeah, their receipts are all sorts of... interesting.

This shit bubbles and simmers underneath, and once you get a peek at what's cooking down there, it's hard not to smell it all over everything. RLM showed their ass on that TFA review by suggesting little kids dont' give a shit about representation, because they don't give a shit about representation - at least not when it comes to representation of those who aren't middle aged white film nerds from Wisconsin. Rebel Force Radio never really caught pushback for their casual sexism and so it grew and grew and was rewarded and reinforced and now they're just caught out there with their diaper showing.

Cheerilee

I think what happened to Jake Lloyd is terrible, but it's essentially rooted in bullying. Children at school weren't making fun of Jake because the Star Wars Prequels ruined their childhoods (that would be quite a feat), they made fun of him because he was a child-celebrity. He was different. He stood out. Children will bully anyone who stands out. The Phantom Menace was a massive movie, so every kid at school knew that Jake was a celebrity, and even if that didn't cause his head to get shoved in a toilet, it unleashed a tidal wave of less-severe micro-bullying that can really beat a kid down eventually.

I don't think the Star Wars fans on the internet had much of any effect on Jake because he had no reason to interact with them (and honestly, they weren't that bad. The most I ever heard was "That little boy is a bad actor. That other little boy from The Sixth Sense is better"). AFAIK, his first "real" fan interactions were after he grew up and started visiting conventions, and a minority of attendees thought it would be appropriate to yell things at him or even stand in line so they can say terrible things to his face. But a minority of convention attendees are ignorant people who don't know anything about boundaries and think it's fun to sexually harass cosplayers. IMO, they're no different from childhood bullies. "Hey, I know that guy. Isn't he famous for being unpopular? Do you dare me to throw this half-finished drink at him?"

What happened to Jake Lloyd is really unfair, but I wouldn't put that on the people who hated the Star Wars Prequels. Plenty of Prequel haters have pointed out that it's not Jake's fault that he (as a child) was given a bad script and bad direction (which drew terrible performances out of some of the best actors in Hollywood). It was George Lucas who ruined people's childhoods, and that's not even remotely limited to the one movie Jake Lloyd appeared in (sand getting everywhere, Greedo shooting first, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the list is huge and Jake's single bad performance is only tangentially related to it).

Boem

I think what happened to Jake Lloyd is terrible, but it's essentially rooted in bullying. Children at school weren't making fun of Jake because the Star Wars Prequels ruined their childhoods (that would be quite a feat), they made fun of him because he was a child-celebrity. He was different. He stood out. Children will bully anyone who stands out. The Phantom Menace was a massive movie, so every kid at school knew that Jake was a celebrity, and even if that didn't cause his head to get shoved in a toilet, it unleashed a tidal wave of less-severe micro-bullying that can really beat a kid down eventually.

I don't think the Star Wars fans on the internet had much of any effect on Jake because he had no reason to interact with them (and honestly, they weren't that bad. The most I ever heard was "That little boy is a bad actor. That other little boy from The Sixth Sense is better"). AFAIK, his first "real" fan interactions were after he grew up and started visiting conventions, and a minority of attendees thought it would be appropriate to yell things at him or even stand in line so they can say terrible things to his face. But a minority of convention attendees are ignorant people who don't know anything about boundaries and think it's fun to sexually harass cosplayers. IMO, they're no different from childhood bullies. "Hey, I know that guy. Isn't he famous for being unpopular? Do you dare me to throw this half-finished drink at him?"

What happened to Jake Lloyd is really unfair, but I wouldn't put that on the people who hated the Star Wars Prequels. Plenty of Prequel haters have pointed out that it's not Jake's fault that he (as a child) was given a bad script and bad direction (which drew terrible performances out of some of the best actors in Hollywood). It was George Lucas who ruined people's childhoods, and that's not even remotely limited to the one movie Jake Lloyd appeared in (sand getting everywhere, Greedo shooting first, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the list is huge and Jake's single bad performance is only tangentially related to it).

Imagine being that kid, being bullied for that role on the playground, already dealing with the insecurities that come with that, and then growing up while a massive part of the internet filled with people you don't even know is making fun of you and shitting all over something you did when you were 10. Sure, not everybody was doing it, but let's not pretend like nobody was inappropriate.

I would say certain segments of fandom should have taken a little more responsibility in how they talked about a child online. Him being famous doesn't excuse that. The internet can feel like a fake world sometimes, when it's just you staring at a screen in your underpants in a dark room, but it can have an effect when you shittalk people online, especially children.

Jake Lloyd specifically talked about how hurtful the internet was to him at times. I'm taking his word over vague theories. It was a crappy film - fine. But the amount of attention it got for that was insane (and especially Jake), and I think it's only fair to expect some common human decency. George Lucas didn't actively bully that kid, it's all on the people doing the bullying - online or irl.

Also - and I really don't like the prequels - George Lucas didn't ruin anyone's childhood. That's a silly, childish thing to say. They're just a bunch of movies. If 3 bad movies can retroactively ruin your childhood, there's more stuff going on with you that you need to address. If you love the original movies - fine, they're still there. They're still good. Being overly dramatic about it is weird - if anything it's an indication you need to work on your priorities in life.

I don't think the Star Wars fans on the internet had much of any effect on Jake because he had no reason to interact with them (and honestly, they weren't that bad.

Pretty sure Jake Lloyd himself has said differently.

It's not like Jake didn't come of age as the internet was forming into the shape we currently use it in. Those days were not easy. They were pretty rough and mean and largely out of control in a variety of ways.

Star Wars fans on the internet had an effect on that kid. Yes, people who were actually in his physical presence likely had more of an effect, but it's not like those kids weren't also on the internet talking shit, too, yunno?

Boem's right on target here. Trying to say "the internet didn't really play that big a part" doesn't make much sense, especially when Lloyd himself has suggested it definitely did. The Phantom Menace was a very big event not just for movie nerds, but for the internet in general. It's basically the default tool for most interpersonal communication in America right now. It had an effect on him.

horkrux

Saying TFA isn't creative is weird to me. I think most of SW is creative and having similar plot beats doesn't make it lack creativity IMO. I think they're already setting up Rey and Kylo as a very different hero and villain combo and not everything about the story is the same.

I also think TFA having a similar aesthetic to the OT makes sense as I don't think the galaxy would be that radically different tonally after the Imperial war. I do think the prequels have neat and unique art design but there's also a lot of story beats that are similar there too and while people make fun of the whole it rhymes thing, it's absolutely true.

TPM: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things
ANH: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things
TFA: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things

But they all do their own thing with that concept.

They don't really. Phantom Menace differs greatly from ANH, for better or worse, while TFA follows it very closely.

You don't consider copying almost the entire storyline a lack of creativity? Shrinking the amount of space ships to the absolute minimum with mostly nothing but slight redesigns? The funny thing concering the latter was that fucking Rogue One had more interesting vehicles and space ships than the glorified first entry to the new trilogy. This is just shameful. But they wanted to attract the 'Oh hey, I recognize that' crowd way too hard, so you see almost nothing but TIE Fighters and X-Wings. And the Millenium Falcon of course.

They don't really. Phantom Menace differs greatly from ANH, for better or worse, while TFA follows it very closely.

You don't consider copying almost the entire storyline a lack of creativity? Shrinking the amount of space ships to the absolute minimum with mostly nothing but slight redesigns? The funny thing concering the latter was that fucking Rogue One had more interesting vehicles and space ships than the glorified first entry to the new trilogy. This is just shameful. But they wanted to attract the 'Oh hey, I recognize that' crowd way too hard, so you see almost nothing but TIE Fighters and X-Wings. And the Millenium Falcon of course.

Not for nothing, but you don't really seem all that concerned about storytelling at all. Or at least anywhere near as much as you are about toys.

the prequels suck. the first one especially.

no amount of faux ring theory chin-stroking film theory 101 revisionism is going to change that.

Daft_Cat

Does it though? I mean, sure there's a droid with important information - but barring that one, single McGuffin (which, in and of itself, is an obvious, intentional throwback), are there really very many similarities between the specifics of Luke's situation versus Rey's? Luke's stuck in a dull, routine existence, albeit with a loving aunt and uncle. Rey's a scavenger living in complete solitude, abandoned and forgotten. Luke is desperate to leave, Rey is determined to stay. He seeks adventure, she awaits a family that may never return. And how does Finn fit into the equation? Is there a corresponding turn-coat in A New Hope that I've forgotten about? Not to mention the lack of a "mentor" in TFA's desert sections. Rey and Finn are more or less entirely on their own until they meet Han at the beginning of act 2.

I was responding to someone about RLM, which does have a relation to Jake Lloyd because of their criticism. Sick backseat modding though.

He wasn't talking about just straight up romance. He complained that there is a lack of sexuality, which is ridiculous as a criticism as including it for the sake of doing so adds nothing to the film. It comes off as "where's my sex?", masquerading as "these characters are sterile". It's shallow, self gratifying bullshit.

The hell is "selective diversity"?

Disney didn't make this film. Lucasfilm did.
"Selective diversity" is essentially "let's add diverse characters, but let's not go too far and upset certain people by having a white woman and black guy get together". I said as much in the post you quoted, if you'd have bothered to read it.

Lack of sexuality is a valid criticism. The one film where they decide to hold back, in which there's no young, white male protagonist? Yeah, ok. Trying to dismiss it as someone desperate to see sex in the film is lazy as hell.

Honestly, you come across as being overly mad at RLM just because their opinions didn't line up with your own.

Jake Lloyd was quite clearly going through some extremely troubling times. It does appear he has gotten some help though and seems like a happier person overall. If you watch videos of him over the years, you can kind of see the progression of of overall happiness improving.

Old video of Jake Lloyd (not sure what year this is), with the damage that the role caused his life quite evident. Mentally he is a dark place here, and depression is obvious. He channels it through this particular interview via sarcasm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2xgb4TV2_Q

Newer video ish? (2009 - possibly newer or older than the previous one) showing a lot of the same signs, slightly better mood though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtkM2JPcHPo

An interview from 2015, which when you compare it to the first video I linked, seems like a completely different person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul5vrYBt2lU

Do pay attention.

How is that "overly mad?"

Nothing there, or in the larger response to you sounds hostile at all. Looks more like he took something like 5-10 minutes to carefully explain to you his standpoint as clearly as possible so you could understand where he's coming from.

Nothing there sounded "overly mad" unless "mad" became a synonym for "thorough" between yesterday and today.

You asked a question, you got an answer, you didn't like the answer, and then tried to cast the man who gave it to you as emotionally compromised somehow, and then told me "Do pay attention" like a smarmy schoolteacher in a BBC drama.

What significant aspect of this back and forth did I miss, Dick Justice?

Cheerilee

Jake Lloyd specifically talked about how hurtful the internet was to him at times. I'm taking his word over vague theories. It was a crappy film - fine. But the amount of attention it got for that was insane (and especially Jake), and I think it's only fair to expect some common human decency. George Lucas didn't actively bully that kid, it's all on the people doing the bullying - online or irl.
I didn't recall hearing anything about him and the internet, last time the subject came up. It went straight from horribly damaging childhood bullying, to him disappearing from the public eye, to him reemerging and people acting like shitheads at conventions. And I know it's possible to avoid circles (like Star Wars) online, if you have a lack of interest or a specific aversion. And, from my perspective as a Star Wars fan online, the things said about Jake Lloyd weren't that terrible (not saying they weren't negative).

But if you say he said it happened, then I'm sure it happened.

But I would still say that the bulk of the damage came from assholes and from the troubling human tendency towards bullying, not from people who disliked a bad movie. People who blame "prequel haters" (as if forcing yourself to like the movie or to be kinder to the movie in discussions of it would have prevented children at school from seeing Jake Lloyd as an outsider) are missing the target and not doing anyone any favors.

Also - and I really don't like the prequels - George Lucas didn't ruin anyone's childhood. That's a silly, childish thing to say. They're just a bunch of movies. If 3 bad movies can retroactively ruin your childhood, there's more stuff going on with you that you need to address. If you love the original movies - fine, they're still there. They're still good. Being overly dramatic about it is weird - if anything it's an indication you need to work on your priorities in life.
I didn't mean that George Lucas ruined my childhood, nor was I trying to judge the value of that statement, what I was trying to say what that George Lucas was always the one who was said to be ruining people's childhoods, not Jake Lloyd. Googling the phrase with Jake Lloyd's name inserted instead of George Lucas, the only instance I can find of it on the entire internet is someone on NeoGAF once using it clearly in jest.

Surfinn

"Selective diversity" is essentially "let's add diverse characters, but let's not go too far and upset certain people by having a white woman and black guy get together". I said as much in the post you quoted, if you'd have bothered to read it.

Lack of sexuality is a valid criticism. The one film where they decide to hold back, in which there's no young, white male protagonist? Yeah, ok. Trying to dismiss it as someone desperate to see sex in the film is lazy as hell.

Honestly, you come across as being overly mad at RLM just because their opinions didn't line up with your own.
You're assuming they're not going to do anything with these characters in part one of a new trilogy? Come on man. They already hinted at something between them with the boyfriend line and when Finn hugs Rey at Starkiller base, he's got a huge ass smile on his face. Amongst other examples.

What's strange is that you're seemingly pushing for a quick romance, and when it's not there, you're jumping you SEE NO REAL DIVERSITY which feels like incredibly awkward criticism. So, just because they didn't get into a relationship or kiss in the FIRST FILM, is just not gunna happen? Bizarre. There are already hints there anyway.

That's the way it comes off in the review. All he really comments on is how the characters felt "sterile" since his expected sexuality quota wasn't filed. That's how I interpreted it. None of his suggestions here would have improved the film.

And.. No, I'm not mad or upset, I'm just firmly cemented in my opinion here. I feel like RLM causally drops sexist/borderline racist material in their reviews and as a result, I'm done giving them views.

I'm not gunna lose sleep.

Boem

You're assuming they're not going to do anything with these characters in part one of a new trilogy? Come on man. They already hinted at something between them with the boyfriend line and when Finn hugs Rey at Starkiller base, he's got a huge ass smile on his face. Amongst other examples.

What's strange is that you're seemingly pushing for a quick romance, and when it's not there, you're jumping you SEE NO REAL DIVERSITY which feels like incredibly awkward criticism. So, just because they didn't get into a relationship or kiss in the FIRST FILM, is just not gunna happen? Bizarre. There are already hints there anyway.

That's the way it comes off in the review. All he really comments on is how the characters felt "sterile" since his expected sexuality quota wasn't filed. That's how I interpreted it. None of his suggestions here would have improved the film.

And.. No, I'm not mad or upset, I'm just firmly cemented in my opinion here. I feel like RLM causally drops sexist/borderline racist material in their reviews and as a result, I'm done giving them views.

He's also forgetting that Han and Leia didn't get together in New Hope, or that there wasn't a romance in Phantom Menace. Also both first movies. Plus, of course, the entire idea at the base of this that makes everything extra absurd: just because you have a female lead in the movie, does she need a romance to be interesting? That's problematic in itself. After getting it two times, I'm happy we're getting a woman in an important role in these movies that isn't a princess for one of the male leads to fall in love with, with that being pretty much her entire arc.

But yes, let's ignore every other statement RLM made on things like this and let's just say that Lucasfilm (sorry, Disney) is racist for not having a black man and a white woman kiss the first time they meet, regardless of context.

But I get the feeling he's not interested in an argument, given that he ignored more examples of RLM's weird behavior when I gave them after he asked for it, but more interested in Not Being Wrong On The Internet. Also weird how Dick Justice is giving Surfinn shit for agreeing with my opinion while ignoring all my arguments just because they're not convenient for him.

I think I've said everything there is to say on the subject. Too much, actually, especially because this thread wasn't about RLM in the first place. I'll give it a rest. Good night fellas.

child actors usually have a hard time of it anyways, even if it's a little movie. and this wasn't just a little movie, this was the most famous franchise of all time. he was going to get shit even if there were no Star Wars fans. its part of being famous.

fwiw i saw very little hatred aimed at the actor himself. even when RLM went into hours-long discussions on everything wrong w TPM, the kid was like just a tiny, tiny fraction of what was wrong. it sucks if he was picked on at school but that's cos kids can be assholes in general, not because Star Wars fans zeroed in on him.

Mutant

The first movie was... Not the worst thing. I can understand those who like it (young kids.)

The second movie is bad. I can tolerate a child's bad acting (because they're children), but Hayden put on a performance that was "middle school play" tier.

The third movie is pretty alright! I enjoyed it everytime I watched it.

Sanjuro

What about that backseat modding though?

. it sucks if he was picked on at school but that's cos kids can be assholes in general, not because Star Wars fans zeroed in on him.

Maybe if RLM actually read this thread out loud in a video you'd know what was in it before you responded to anything.

Star Wars fans did zero in on him. It's not a hypothetical or a what if. It happened.

Prequels were ok
Episode 1 and 3 are still alright to watch

Episode 2 is still garbage but eh what can you do, it happened. Lol that hug between Obi and that alien
🐐

Sanjuro

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying before. I still don't understand what your first response to me was about though.

It was the redirect of the conversation. It felt like the Jake Lloyd/RLM comparison was happening.

Boem and you were kind of aggressive, but I don't disagree with most of the points. Thet just wasn't much area I could counter where it didn't feel like derailing or disingenuous.

Surfinn

It was the redirect of the conversation. It felt like the Jake Lloyd/RLM comparison was happening.

Boem and you were kind of aggressive, but I don't disagree with most of the points. Thet just wasn't much area I could counter where it didn't feel like derailing or disingenuous.
How is anything we said aggressive? I think people mistake firm opinion for aggressive behavior.

jax

Banned
More people need to watch the fan edit that makes all of the alien speak into subtitled jibberish and removes the cheesiest aspects of the films. Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson killed it.

Sanjuro

More people need to watch the fan edit that makes all of the alien speak into subtitled jibberish and removes the cheesiest aspects of the films. Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson killed it.

Daniel Day Lewis should have had the line, "They jumped into the ventilation shaft."

Dude, stop, lol. If I offended you I apologize.

You didn't offend me. I just don't understand the post. I'm only usually called a backseat mod on Wednesdays.

Surfinn

Killed it.. Is an overstatement. I'd say Ewan is the only one of those two who did anything noteworthy and even then it was pretty minimal. They're both fantastic actors but the script really suppressed their talents.

Hell, even in this very thread there are people talking about knowing others who went to school with Lloyd who can attest to how his life at school pretty much turned in a living hell after he did Star Wars. The guy's had it hard.

yeah yeah, school sucks and kids are cruel. it's a living hell for many people who aren't rich and famous.

Boem

yeah yeah, school sucks and kids are cruel. it's a living hell for many people who aren't rich and famous.

Comments like this suck.

The kid suffered/suffers from schizophrenia. He developed severe mental health issues as a result of bullying. He certainly isn't happy about his fame.

But hey, at least he's got money right?

.JayZii

Banned
More like infamous, and he probably spent most of that Star Wars money on drugs before he was out of high school. Let's not belittle his problems just because he has a bit of celebrity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom