• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Hamill defends the Star Wars prequels, angry with about how Jake Lloyd was treat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobbs

Banned
The prequels were meant to show an age of innocence before the empire took over. As horrible as Jar Jar was, his goofiness was absolutely essential to the series.

The point about the movies being bad doesn't pertain to whether they had comical characters. The point about the movies being bad is that they're fucking horrible.

You can like them, sure. I have no problem with people liking bad things. Terrible things. Sometimes I do as well.

But they're fucking terrible.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
All the people in this thread surprised at the amount of hate those actors(especially Lloyd) received need to realize that this was the internet from 2001-2006. People were much harsher in opinion back then, probably even on Neogaf as well.

Lucas didn't ruin those fanboys' childhoods with the prequel trilogy, they did that to themselves by deifying a series of children's movies to the point of emotional instability.

I shudder to think of all the unsolicited opinions of his work Jake Lloyd has had to withstand from "fans."

He is right. I would never get my kids into show business. There's a 1% chance anyone will make it and there's a 1% once in that what was made was good.

I retroactively appreciate Phantom Menace after watching Force Awakens.

At least the Phantom Menace actually tried doing something somewhat different instead of reshashing every single plotpoint from the original starwars for some cheap nostalgia bait.
TFA was a good movie, but damn, did it feel super safe in the plot department.

It was trying to do something...

Like turning Star Wars into a drag race movie where the Force was a parasite and a child accidentally takes down an entire fleet after hiding in a cockpit.

SpaceWolf

Banned
All the people in this thread surprised at the amount of hate those actors(especially Lloyd) received need to realize that this was the internet from 2001-2006. People were much harsher in opinion back then, probably even on Neogaf as well.

Odd sentiment.

Surfinn

I don't think there's much of an argument there. People become more critical by each passing day, given the ease of use/availability of technology.

I'd say there's far more criticism in 2017, in general, and I seriously doubt it's gotten any less harsh.

That's silly talk. I'd love the fucking original cut of the damn original trilogy! Besides that, whatever..

You'd think that wouldn't be too much to ask.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's odd but true. I'm glad that people and fandom has lightened up to what it is now because what it used to be was much worse.

I have no idea what kind of military grade hallucinogen you have to be on to consider that fan discourse or even basic interaction on the internet has "lightened up" over the years. It's gotten much worse!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe. Hard to remember and compare. There certainly are a lot of place on the internet much harsher than here.

I do remember personally being way harsher in opinion back then, mostly because I was a dumb ass kid. And sounds like other kids were the problem for Jade Lloyd.

Really sucks. I feel for him.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there's much of an argument there. People become more critical by the passing day, given the ease of use/availability of technology.

I'd say there's far more criticism in 2017, in general, and I seriously doubt it's gotten any less harsh.

There might be more criticism now but there is less bullying around said criticism. There is less 'spit in your face and call you excrement' type of messaging when it comes to criticism. It definitely has gotten less harsh in certain ways more than others.

I have absolutely no idea what kind of military grade hallucinogen you have to be on to consider that fan discourse or even basic interaction on the internet has "lightened up" over the years. It's gotten much worse.

If this were true Neogaf and other online communities would all be equivalent to 4chan's /b/. Even though it's not a major shift, there has been improvement.

I retroactively appreciate Phantom Menace after watching Force Awakens.

At least the Phantom Menace actually tried doing something somewhat different instead of reshashing every single plotpoint from the original starwars for some cheap nostalgia bait.
TFA was a good movie, but damn, did it feel super safe in the plot department.

The originality of the prequels is overstated and leads to some of its biggest flaws. TFA was executed much better than the prequels and it makes for a much better movie than any of the prequels. Jerking off over the originality of the prequels while most of the movie takes place on Tatooine and they have kid Darth Vader literally building C3PO while also being a jesus virgin birth. Give me a break.

Not that I hate the prequels. I just think people's arguments against TFA are very poor and come more from projecting what they think they should feel and what people told them they should feel onto the movie rather than what's actually on the screen.

Raptor

You can make a compelling argument that TFA has more "callbacks", but not that TPM doesn't have nearly the exact same story beats of ANH. Which is what I had originally highlighted in your post. You can apply the exact same surface criticisms to both TFA and TPM in that regard.

But people are unwilling to recognize this fact because George Lucas was in charge of virtually all major creative decisions in regard to the PT. And naturally.. since he created SW, he couldn't have copied any of his previous films/done something unoriginal.. right?

Can you honestly tell me that TPM feels like ANH remake? because thats how TFA feels.

I dont agree with that notion, could have story beats but doesnt feel structurally almost step by step the same as ANH imo.

The pandering, the damn pandering and movie esctructure insults me honestly, and it makes me mad because I like all the characters of the movie, I love them just not the movie they are in lol.

SpaceWolf

Banned
If this were true Neogaf and other online communities would all be equivalent to 4chan's /b/. Even though it's not a major shift, there has been improvement.

I guess it's mostly a subjective topic and revolves a lot around personal experience.

I respect your opinion, however.

Surfinn

There might be more criticism now but there is less bullying around said criticism. There is less 'spit in your face and call you excrement' type of messaging when it comes to criticism. It definitely has gotten less harsh in certain ways more than others.

I've worked in a education for about 12 years now and let me tell you.. this couldn't be further from the truth.

Bullying is as bad as it has ever been, in person or not. Kids get beat up and physically assaulted everyday.

I'm kinda thinking things turn out similarly for Lloyd even if the movie had been great.

Didn't Drew Barrymore have a similar experience too? She had a pretty rough go with fame, but I recall that these days she often speaks of her experience on E.T. with much fondness. It's possible that time might heal his bitterness stemming from his involvement in Ep1. Maybe the pendulum will swing the other way for Mr. Lloyd, and he will come to embrace his place in the prequels the way that Carrie Fisher came to terms with her place in pop culture. I know that the cast from Troll 2 have an upbeat attitude in regards to their involvement in what is often coined as the worst movie ever made.

And on kind of a related note, can anyone opine on who got it worse, Jake Lloyd or Star Wars Kid?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I've worked in a education for about 12 years now and let me tell you.. this couldn't be further from the truth.

Bullying is as bad as it has ever been, in person or not. Kids get beat up and physically assaulted everyday.

But that's in a scholastic environment. I'm talking about from a critical point of view.

The originality of the prequels is overstated and leads to some of its biggest flaws. TFA was executed much better than the prequels and it makes for a much better movie than any of the prequels. Jerking off over the originality of the prequels while most of the movie takes place on Tatooine and they have kid Darth Vader literally building C3PO while also being a jesus virgin birth. Give me a break.

Not that I hate the prequels. I just think people's arguments against TFA are very poor and come more from projecting what they think they should feel and what people told them they should feel onto the movie rather than what's actually on the screen.

Saying TFA isn't creative is weird to me. I think most of SW is creative and having similar plot beats doesn't make it lack creativity IMO. I think they're already setting up Rey and Kylo as a very different hero and villain combo and not everything about the story is the same.

I also think TFA having a similar aesthetic to the OT makes sense as I don't think the galaxy would be that radically different tonally after the Imperial war. I do think the prequels have neat and unique art design but there's also a lot of story beats that are similar there too and while people make fun of the whole it rhymes thing, it's absolutely true.

TPM: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things
ANH: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things
TFA: young person on desert planet destined for bigger things

But they all do their own thing with that concept.

Toxi

Banned
Meanwhile, Hamill also revealed that he turned down the chance to take part in the anti-George Lucas documentary The People vs George Lucas.
That's a very sensible decision.

Ivan 3414

While true, it's certainly not a justification

Surfinn

Can you honestly tell me that TPM feels like ANH remake? because thats how TFA feels.

I dont agree with that notion, could have story beats but doesnt feel structurally almost step by step the same as ANH imo.

The pandering, the damn pandering and movie esctructure insults me honestly, and it makes me mad because I like all the characters of the movie, I love them just not the movie they are in lol.

Pandering is different than copying story beats.

Like I said, if we're looking at "omg TFA is the same story as ANH", you can just as easily apply the same dumb criticism for TPM (ie boy comes from desert planet, learns about the force, gets a mentor, female leader is captive, boy blows up military structure, saber battle, mentor is killed, ending celebration). On the flip side of that, you can point out a VAST amount of things that are quite different from ANH, for both films.

I would argue that you can just as easy recognize the same story beats from both TFA and TPM in regard to ANH.

It's just really fucking dumb to do because there are so many differences that define and help identify each film.

Whompa02

I didn't particularly enjoy the prequels but he's right about a lot of things. The way they treated Jake Lloyd was really awful

mrkgoo

Jake isn't a great kid actor, but hat never bothered me. I liked episode I and I still trying Jingle All the Way as one of the great kids Christmas flicks. I find it pretty hilarious.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Usenet was a lot more eloquent overall than the social media vibe of today, but it was pretty cargo cult-y. Imagine if everybody on 4chan could write a complete sentence and had a degree in computer science, and there you go.

People aren't even afraid to put their real names and selfies next to the horrible shit they post on Facebook these days, and sometimes it doesn't even take all of a day for a viral and ill-conceived social media bandwagon to ruin someone's life.

I'm having a hard time understanding why people think that's better now.

I didn't particularly enjoy the prequels but he's right about a lot of things. The way they treated Jake Lloyd was really awful

So who got the mother load of all the criticism and hatred? Jake, Natalie Portman, Ahmed Best, or George Lucas? When TPM was released, it seemed like Ahmed Best got the worst of it. And from AotC on, it was George and Hayden that ended up feeling the hate.

Also, is Jake Lloyd still under psychiatric care after his high speed chase with the police?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
His story is pretty tragic. He apparently required treatment for mental illness too, so I hope he can come to terms with everything.

It's funny though, I swear Lucas chose him specifically because he passed as a little kid version of Leonardo DiCaprio, who he obviously was hoping to get for II.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
WTF did people say/do to him? I shat on the prequels but never took issue with the kid. He did an acting job as best he could.

Yeah, I mean he's terrible, but anyone would have been given that role and that writing. And, in all likelihood, that lack of useful direction, which is a problem throughout the prequels and Lucas' most notorious shortcoming going all the way back to the original film. Hayden Christensen is a perfectly capable actor and he couldn't do anything with the character as written in the other two, either. People who blamed Lloyd for it, especially to the point of harassing the kid, are just deranged.

Ratrat

If you've never seen her in anything else, Portman would look like the worst actress in the world.
Now she has her third Oscar nom.

Loxley

An ex-girlfriend of mine went to high school with him in Indiana, she wasn't good friends with him or anything, but she said he was a nice guy and pretty quiet. She confirmed that he got made fun of and teased constantly.

High school is hard enough, I can't imagine having to deal with that kind of relentless bullying on top of it.

Meowster

If yall are interested, here's his steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jakelloyd/

Guy's a big RPG gamer. Props to him, seems cool!
Almost 450 hours with Fallout: New Vegas? The man has taste.

And I agree with Mark, even though I was a kid back then and largely enjoyed the prequels. I didn't know the full extent of that ridiculous "raped my childhood" nonsense and how awful fans treated Jake Lloyd for doing a good job in a role written for a little boy. Sad stuff.

FoxSpirit

While I dislike the prequels, holy hell. People taking kit out on the poor actors? And a kid to boot.
The hardcore fans just be just shameful. And I bet they believe they are better than hardcore Trump supporters.

ElRenoRaven

Yea the way that kid was treated was atrocious. So many pieces of shit should be ashamed of themselves. It's a prime example of how goddamn negative the net has become. It's only getting worse sadly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom