• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Got some serious Final Fantasy VII vibes from this episode.
Overall, I liked it. Some shitty editting when Mando splits off from Carl Weathers and the girl. But overall, fun stuff

Weiji

Banned
Agreed with Kadayi Kadayi , this one was a little weak with the incompetent stormtroopers dropping like flies. Inconsistent, too, since Super Heavyweight Gina and Carl get pinned down by two stormtroopers for no apparent reason right after casually mowing down 50 of them.

Some interesting setup for the rest of the season at least.

Yeah I feel like the stormtrooper shootouts are the weakest thing in The show. Zero tension. It works in the movies because it’s quick and the focus is on characters interacting instead.

But these shootouts feel like Michael Bay low stakes action without consequences. They need more moments like the old man not making it back to the ship at the end of season 1, or have people actually get injured sometimes.

This was another flat episode for me. There is no tension, because the Empire troops are not a threat at all. I wish they'd kill Karl Weathers, Fish man or the butch chick, just to demonstrate that they can actually do something. I dont care which one. Im indifferent to them all.
A liiiittle bit more violence on screen wouldnt hurt the show either. I just want to see scorch marks and smoke on Stormtrooper armor after they get hit with laser fire, or a distant shot of that one Stormtrooper splashing into the lava etc. I dont think its too much to ask.
The best part of this weeks episode was baby Yoda stealing the space-cookies.

Kadayi

Banned
Glad to see I'm not alone. I don't necessarily want to see any of the characters die but there has to be some sense of stakes versus just throwing dozens and dozens of paper tigers at them to just casually knockdown every episode.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Gold Member
As if C3PO wasn't emasculated enough they gave that model a woman's voice to indoctrinate the kids early

Anyways I watched 11 and 12 back to back and because 11 was so good it made this episode a difficult follow-up and definitely not as good.

Last edited:
I love love love the Mandalorian.
Watched the new episode with one of my oldest friends who watched RotJ with me at the cinema in 1983, and we both agreed that this is the real deal after so many years of shit we had to endure.

Sometimes you just have to wait to get good things..

This was another flat episode for me. There is no tension, because the Empire troops are not a threat at all. I wish they'd kill Karl Weathers, Fish man or the butch chick, just to demonstrate that they can actually do something. I dont care which one. Im indifferent to them all.
I think that would go against that 80ies series feeling they are going for.
In Knight Rider, Devon Miles or Bonny didn't get killed as well just for the sake of stakes. Same with Dominic Santini or Archangel in Airwolf.

This is "Mandalorian and his little buddy having space adventures each week".
And I love it.

JimiNutz

Banned
Glad to see I'm not alone. I don't necessarily want to see any of the characters die but there has to be some sense of stakes versus just throwing dozens and dozens of paper tigers at them to just casually knockdown every episode.

I definitely understand what you mean.
Even though pathetic Stormtroopers fit in with the lore/history of the franchise it can be a bit mundane to see shootouts against wave after wave of them.

Hopefully, they seem to be directly addressing that based on the ending though.

GreyHorace

I think that would go against that 80ies series feeling they are going for.
In Knight Rider, Devon Miles or Bonny didn't get killed as well just for the sake of stakes. Same with Dominic Santini or Archangel in Airwolf.

This is "Mandalorian and his little buddy having space adventures each week".
And I love it.

Exactly. Not everything has to have deathly stakes for the characters in a TV show. I think people have been spoiled by Game of Thrones in that sense. I like the fact that The Mandalorian is harkening back to a much simpler time of television where there was actual escapism whenever you tuned in. The 80's tv show comparison is pretty apt.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Pouring out a 40 for UFC Gina...

GuChLQa.jpg

I need repairs / Just passing through / I’m looking for this guy

We need your help / Could use your help / Only if you help us

It’s no place for a kid / Can I leave him with you? / You can’t take a kid there!

Here’s the plan / Here’s the backstory / Here’s the deal

Don’t eat that / Don’t touch that / Don’t play with that

We go in this way / We do this thing / We try this

It didn’t work / It’s a trap! / They set us up!

Kaboom / Blammo! / Ker-rash!

We did it! / Hurrah! / Success!

Thanks Mando / Thank you Mando / I’ll get you Mando

I mean there's some cool shit happening here and there but sweet Jesus they need to switch the formula up from such banalities before they lose me. Fucking Clone Wars feels like was written by Aaron Sorkin in comparison.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

It’s no place for a kid / Can I leave him with you? / You can’t take a kid there!

I mean there's some cool shit happening here and there but sweet Jesus they need to switch the formula up from such banalities before they lose me. Fucking Clone Wars feels like was written by Aaron Sorkin in comparison.
I was tired of the style but I’ve come to enjoy it for what it is. It’s simple old school 90s style show. Not very deep at all and very video gamey but it’s just super fun for me. I was expecting a lot more deeper show with a lot more moving forward plot points but it’s totally different. This is the best way to explore the Star Wars universe and get a better look at all the background stuff IMO. Fleshes out the universe while the movies can stay pot heavy.

Calcium

Banned
My wife and I caught up today by watching episodes 3 and 4. Still enjoying the series, but we were both mortified that they brought back the blue fish dude. Fuck me running that guy is annoying.

Genuinely curious if the show loses The Child when Ahsoka shows up. I'd prefer to steer clear of Jedi shit, make a spin-off show for that or something.

Except for the kid that's the template for every 80ies show I have ever seen...
Isn't it great? :D

Always smiling at that depiction of the world's globe, and them going from somewhere in the northern hemisphere to somewhere on the south on a speederbike or land speeder in what feels like a half a day ride.

These must be VERY SMALL planets they are on.

Romulus

It's like someone had all these great ideas, they picked a badass character, lots of fan service moments, cool visual style. But then when it came to filling in the blanks it kinda falls apart. Though I'm enjoying it for what it is.

GeorgPrime

Banned
A liiiittle bit more violence on screen wouldnt hurt the show either. I just want to see scorch marks and smoke on Stormtrooper armor after they get hit with laser fire, or a distant shot of that one Stormtrooper splashing into the lava etc. I dont think its too much to ask.
The best part of this weeks episode was baby Yoda stealing the space-cookies.

I like it how it is. Iam not a fan of constant violance just for enjoyment. The tension is building up slowly because we know that he is tracked by the bad guy now.

It was great episode. Some good humour again (like him throwing the stormtrooper from the sky to open the door xD)

RPS37

I really liked the last couple episodes.
Not a huge SW fan, but I feel like if I were, I’d be hyped for the stuff that happened.

nyr88nyg

Banned
Yeah I feel like the stormtrooper shootouts are the weakest thing in The show. Zero tension. It works in the movies because it’s quick and the focus is on characters interacting instead.

But these shootouts feel like Michael Bay low stakes action without consequences. They need more moments like the old man not making it back to the ship at the end of season 1, or have people actually get injured sometimes.
I’m fine with the amount, but they should raise the stakes and make the storm troopers more accurate.

desertdroog

The Red Wire Blue Wire with the baby was funny. I could relate because explaining a mundane task like that gets too technical when trying to explain it out loud.

Ever been in a meeting with another group who wants something explained that isn't in their wheelhouse? It's kind of like that.

Sybrix

I've never seen the Clone Wars or any of the animated Star Wars tv shows, ive only seen the Star Wars movies so im not familiar with the wider universe stuff.

As i understand it Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano were all in the Clone Wars Show which is pre Episode 3.

The Mandalorain is after ROTJ some 35+ years later after the Clone Wars right?

So are Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano 20 years old in Clone Wars and 50+ years old in The Mandalorain?

I might have this all wrong but clarification would be appreciated

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I've never seen the Clone Wars or any of the animated Star Wars tv shows, ive only seen the Star Wars movies so im not familiar with the wider universe stuff.

As i understand it Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano were all in the Clone Wars Show which is pre Episode 3.

The Mandalorain is after ROTJ some 35+ years later after the Clone Wars right?

So are Bo Katan and Ahsoka Tano 20 years old in Clone Wars and 50+ years old in The Mandalorain?

I might have this all wrong but clarification would be appreciated

I think Ashoka was a young teen at the start of the Clone Wars and maybe 17/18 by the end of the war so she will be early 50s in the Mandalorian.

I think Bo Katan was even older during the clone wars, maybe early 20s, so she's probably mid 50s in the Mandalorian.

Sybrix

I think Ashoka was a young teen at the start of the Clone Wars and maybe 17/18 by the end of the war so she will be early 50s in the Mandalorian.

I think Bo Katan was even older during the clone wars, maybe early 20s, so she's probably mid 50s in the Mandalorian.

Thanks.

When i was watching the episode with Bo Katan i was thinking she looks to be in her 30s but then i remembered she was in the Clone Wars which was 30+ years before The Mandalorain so i was confused with the timelines.

I suppose she has just aged really really well....

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Thanks.

When i was watching the episode with Bo Katan i was thinking she looks to be in her 30s but then i remember she is in the Clone Wars which was 30+ years before The Mandalorain so i was confused with the timelines.

I suppose she has just aged really really well....

Yeah they maybe should have aged up the actress a little bit to make her look slightly older. The actress is 40 years old but agree that she looked mid/late 30s.

Not gonna lie. I've found myself asking "Why the fuck is Mando doing this?" several times while watching this show.

What would have been easier? Risk his life to kill the Kyrat dragon for a bunch of nobodies in the middle of nowhere? Or just shoot the mother fucker wearing Boba's armor?

Kenpachii

Watched it was decent. not much special. Just felt like they needed a reason to shoehorn the old actors in there again.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I enjoy the show overall, it's up there with Rogue One as my favorites of the Disney offerings... definitely better than Episodes 7-9.

But I agree the stormtroopers feel more useless than normal and its kinda eye rolling. In the last couple episodes both there were multiple scenes in a row where 15 stormtroopers would run on camera and get immediately mowed down. Next shot 15 more storm troopers turn a corner at once and get immediately mowed down. Next shot a door opens and 15 stormtroopers run out and immediately all fall down.

I know even in the OG trilogy stormtroopers were just good guy fodder but it always felt like part of a more cohesive battle. This just feels super canned like they just lined up 20 extras and told them "Ok run forward 5 steps then everyone fall over!" and just keep doing it over and over.

I also don't like how Mando is getting his life saved all the time. Lol i feel like in every other episode from season 1 he would have gotten straight up murdered if not for the intervention of another character. Just doesn't feel super heroic, I'm never expecting him to save the day. Im almost expecting him to fail and someone else swoops in and saves the day. Lol I mean the goddamn Jawas had him electrocuted and frozen up in S1 they could have smoked him right there if they had given enough of a shit to.

I just wish he'd be a little bit more of a badass if hes this rogue gunslinger mandalorian.

Despite that griping yeah it does look fuckin cool and it does feel like Star Wars, and I do like it overall. The Bounty Hunter and Baby Yoda dynamic is very cool.

-Arcadia-

Banned
One of the few things going right with the world, is that we have a new Star Wars every week. Can you imagine how mind-blowing that would have been when we were kids?

I mean, I know it’s not quite the same, but each episode provides that same sort of fun and magic.

Another really fun episode, with a ton of great action scenes. I can’t even imagine what their budget is at this point, because this season has been doing stuff (particularly vehicles and dogfights) every week, that feels like it’d be right at home in a new (good) blockbuster Star Wars movie.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Very well done episode. Hopefully the real life bullshit surrounding the show hasn't jeopardized it's future. I really want this show to keep going because of how great it's been.

Real-life bullshit?

To give this post more content, here starts the petition to rename Carl Weathers’ character to Carl Weathers, because nobody remembers or uses the damn name anyway.

GreyHorace

Real-life bullshit?

To give this post more content, here starts the petition to rename Carl Weathers’ character to Carl Weathers, because nobody remembers or uses the damn name anyway.

Makes me yearn for a time when actors only spoke on tv or in magazines. I miss those days.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Makes me yearn for a time when actors only spoke on tv or in magazines. I miss those days.

Oh, that. I was thinking there were serious production problems.

Idk. I see the funniest news story of the year (people offended by Baby Yoda), a talented retard that doesn’t speak for the actual character I like, and someone so based I want to DM and ask if we can be friends. Lol.

I think it will all blow over. Jon Favreau doesn’t strike me as an idiot who will alter/destroy his show based on dumb whims.

GreyHorace

Oh, that. I was thinking there were serious production problems.

Idk. I see the funniest news story of the year (people offended by Baby Yoda), a talented retard that doesn’t speak for the actual character I like, and someone so based I want to DM and ask if we can be friends. Lol.

I think it will all blow over. Jon Favreau doesn’t strike me as an idiot who will alter/destroy his show based on dumb whims.

Thankfully it seems Favreau is keeping his head down and has not said or done anything that could rile up the woke fascists on Twitter. Though there were some rumors that he and Pedro Pascal had a little feud over the latter's desire to remove the helmet. Largely unconfirmed rumors though.

I just hope the season ends on a high note and there's room for another one. Star Wars under Disney is already in a precarious position as it is with all the woke shit they tried to force into it. The Mandalorian is one of the few bright spots.

GV82

Thankfully it seems Favreau is keeping his head down and has not said or done anything that could rile up the woke fascists on Twitter.

urghh The woke Twitter mob are all over this

they are crying over the child eating the eggs and in the article “committing genocide” yes that’s an actual article!
He wasn’t

trying to cancel Gina Carano because she’s an anti masker a trump supporter they say she’s a trans phobe Because she didn’t put her pronouns in her Twitter bio and told them to basically mind their own business (then I stopped following that

and now angry because they have been trying to cancel Rosari Dawson for allegedly beating up a transman who worked as a handyman for Rosario though I don’t know if that case is ongoing.

So yeah it never ends with them.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
trying to cancel Gina Carano because she’s an anti masker a trump supporter they say she’s a trans phobe Because she didn’t put her pronouns in her Twitter bio and told them to basically mind their own business (then I stopped following that

Funny enough a lot of that died down for a little bit. But then she urged people to follow her on Parler and that set them off all over again.

Top Bottom