• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I just want Jund to be great again.

WotC rotates the Modern format via BnR. It's possible our pet decks could be viable again. Maybe.

At least with Fish, Merfolk could get some new cards in Ixalan. It's possible. I'm not sure how Ixalan will fall on the power level scale, but probably weak?

fish are UG again but for the first time it appears for there to be mono green fishes. There's a potential sidegrade to Kira that's a merfolk from the leaks but fish players aren't sure if it's straight up a replacement.

Funnily the biggest impact since harbinger of the tides ended up being Smuggler's Copter which started as an experiment but is pretty commonplace these days in fish lists.
When are we likely to get more elf cards? Dominaria? I wouldn't mind a GB or GBW commander tbh.
the last elfball commander ended up banned. Do you mean tribal elves? The ones in origins where from lorwyn where we're unlikely to return to, another coreset would be the best bet.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I can't decide which Commander 2017 deck to get. Vampire and the Arcane one seem to completely break the game. (Beginner here, so my opinion could be way off base.)

Skred did not perform well for me yesterday at the $1k. Wound up going 2-3, losing round 1 (barely) to Esper Goryo, round 2 to some kind of B/R disruption list, won round 3 against Titan Shift, round 4 opponent was a no-show, then got paired down and lost against Burn.

I don't know if it was just bad luck, or what but man was it disappointing since I had been doing so well with the deck at the weekly events.

I can't decide which Commander 2017 deck to get. Vampire and the Arcane one seem to completely break the game. (Beginner here, so my opinion could be way off base.)

Are you planning on playing the deck as-is or do you have some cards around to tool them up with?

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Are you planning on playing the deck as-is or do you have some cards around to tool them up with?

As-is at first, with modifications as I learn the game. What I am noticing at my local card store, though, is that everyone has older cards in their decks.

As-is at first, with modifications as I learn the game. What I am noticing at my local card store, though, is that everyone has older cards in their decks.

Yeah, there are some very good cards that they couldn't really put in these decks because of their price, most of which are older.

I would sort of recommend against trying to run Wizards as-is. It doesn't come with any real win condition, so without pretty significant retooling it's mostly just a chore to play.

The other three decks are all pretty good straight out of the box, though. Vampires is probably the most consistent with the most win conditions, but Dragons is more fun than being the Timmy Lord has any right to be. Cats is a bit lower on the totem pole than either, and would take the most expenditure to bring up to speed since it honestly wants for some pricier cards, but it's still fun to play.

Yo, so apparently there's a ban announcement tomorrow? What's up with that? I was totally out of the loop on the news.

Smh, it's probably Death's Shadow.

The only format I can see getting anything is Vintage. Standard is finally good again and it rotates momentarily. Modern has been much better off lately and while DS is powerful it's not dominant on a level that calls for addressing via a ban yet. Vintage had already gotten bad and the collective wisdom at this point is probably that they fucked up with their last restriction announcement so I could see them trying to fix things up there.

Santiako

It's a weird announcement date.

Everyone who isn't having to deal with endless hordes of Grixis Shadow and Eldrazi at their PPTQs.

There's always going to be some deck that is the best/most popular. If they ban something from DS or Eldrazi, Valakut and Storm decks become the best ones, then they ban something from those and Affinity and CoCo become the best ones, then they ban something from those...

Modern is in a really good place, there's really no need to touch anything at all right now.

I just want fish to be good again.

I just built fish so I'd love some new toys from Ixalan.

alternade

I got to play and play against both last night.

Making hasted tokens is WAY more valuable than people give it credit for. The deck has too many legendary creatures to take advantage of it though.

I'm taking it apart to build Kess High Tide combo

There's always going to be some deck that is the best/most popular. If they ban something from DS or Eldrazi, Valakut and Storm decks become the best ones, then they ban something from those and Affinity and CoCo become the best ones, then they ban something from those...

Modern is in a really good place, there's really no need to touch anything at all right now.

Valakut and Storm are only appearing to be good now because Eldrazi is actively suppressing decks that would combat them. The current meta is a situation of beat Eldrazi or beat GDS. The only decks that can beat both are the ones that can go over their heads and nothing else is actually viable.

Strangely, it's like a really powered down version of the current Vintage meta that everyone is scrambling for restrictions over, Shops vs Mentor. The only difference is the Vintage meta is much smaller and reaches its conclusion much faster. So nobody has illusions about what's going on.

The real risk here is the 'ban pod but not twin' leading to the remaining thing taking over the format.

It wouldn't bother me to see Eldrazi Temple go. I think the deck would still be strong enough without the occasional turn 2 TKS blowout.

while there might not be anything oppressive that needs to be deleted there are a couple decks that should be taken down a notch. Delve continues to be a terrible mechanic in execution.

Wizards has to start displaying draft picks live on coverage. Don't require your viewers to memorize picks.

Strangely, it's like a really powered down version of the current Vintage meta that everyone is scrambling for restrictions over, Shops vs Mentor.

The Vintage meta is oppressing other options much more thoroughly and as a result seeing the Top 8 meta at decks get more and more strangling. Modern's not anywhere near that.

(It is true that it's a colorless ramp deck vs. a turbo-Xerox deck in the top tier though.)

The real risk here is the 'ban pod but not twin' leading to the remaining thing taking over the format.

The real risk is that you take a meta everyone is happy with and turn it back into garbage because you over-analogized to other formats. There's no reason not to let things play out longer in Modern and step in with bans at a later point where it's actually necessary.

It wouldn't bother me to see Eldrazi Temple go. I think the deck would still be strong enough without the occasional turn 2 TKS blowout.

while there might not be anything oppressive that needs to be deleted there are a couple decks that should be taken down a notch. Delve continues to be a terrible mechanic in execution.

Absolutely nothing good can ever come from WotC micromanaging deck performance in non-degenerate environments via an activist ban list. People hated this about Modern when it started out and that point (where it was a brand-new format that people didn't understand well yet) was the single time it was the most justified.

Joba62x

Neo Member
If they hit Street Wraith what tier will Deaths Shadow be? It won't be a 56 card deck , how good is it as a 60 card deck?

Absolutely nothing good can ever come from WotC micromanaging deck performance in non-degenerate environments via an activist ban list. People hated this about Modern when it started out and that point (where it was a brand-new format that people didn't understand well yet) was the single time it was the most justified.
the decks are old enough to realize the playerbase couldn't come up with an answer either. And GDS is pretty format warping.

I'm supposed to pick up chalices for fish ffs.
sorry but fish is my lense to view modern by

the decks are old enough to realize the playerbase couldn't come up with an answer either.

This is silly. Modern isn't Vintage where the ability of new cards to impact the meta is limited enough that each set only has maybe 1-3 potential playables, and the current Modern meta has been evolving most of the time from January when the last bans hit. It's not like Standard where you can exhaust every potential in one rotation window.

This is silly. Modern isn't Vintage where the ability of new cards to impact the meta is limited enough that each set only has maybe 1-3 potential playables, and the current Modern meta has been evolving most of the time from January when the last bans hit. It's not like Standard where you can exhaust every potential in one rotation window.
1 to 3 sounds about right for modern, when there isn't a new archetype born in the process and/or some power creep going on, ever since Origins. Maybe closer to 2 to 4.

I think a big reason people hated that was a belief that Modern should have began wild-west style with no ban-list and all and sculpted the initial banlist from those results. It was clear from the get-go that they intended to heavily curate Modern via the banlist.

I'll concede that I don't think Modern necessarily needs any bans yet, just that it wouldn't disappoint me much if Eldrazi Tron was cut from it's explosive turn 2 capabilities and forced to play fair in the early game.

An-Det

Bunch of pptqs in the area this weekend. I scrubbed out yesterday, but various friends top 8'ed and one just won one of them. Loving modern right now, it's in a generally good place, though a small change wouldn't surprise me. However, I have to laugh at how Storm once again is one of the best decks. Someday they'll get it right and just ban Grapeshot instead of beating around the bush.

And I just want Jund to be great again.

Now it's Punishing Fire's time to shine!

The Wizard deck looks like it needs a lot of upgrading. Out of the box I really liked the Vampire deck and the Dragon deck. Probably more so the Vampire deck. I've read that the Dragon deck, being five color, needs more mana fixing and/or better lands. But I haven't actually seen it in play yet. I've already bought cards to help out the deck for my son (which hasn't arrived yet).

Yeah, there are some very good cards that they couldn't really put in these decks because of their price, most of which are older.

I would sort of recommend against trying to run Wizards as-is. It doesn't come with any real win condition, so without pretty significant retooling it's mostly just a chore to play.

The other three decks are all pretty good straight out of the box, though. Vampires is probably the most consistent with the most win conditions, but Dragons is more fun than being the Timmy Lord has any right to be. Cats is a bit lower on the totem pole than either, and would take the most expenditure to bring up to speed since it honestly wants for some pricier cards, but it's still fun to play.

Sounds spot on!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
No bans for modern. Only an idiot changes a format people are happy with. They aren't there to try to micromanage the format to some unachievable perfect state.

Ashodin

Standard

No changes

Modern

Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned.

Legacy

No Changes

Commander

Ramos is banned, too fucking good

jk

But SFM being unbanned would be GLORIOUS

G.ZZZ

Vintage

Monastery Mentor is restricted

Legacy

Ancestral Recall is banned
Lotus Petal is banned
Sensei's Divining Top is unbanned
Survival of the fittest is unbanned
Goblin Recruiter is unbanned
Mind Twist is unbanned
Earthcraft is unbanned
Frantic Search is unbanned

No need to pay me wotc.

noquarter

Standard

No changes

Modern

Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned.

Legacy

No Changes

Commander

Ramos is banned, too fucking good

jk

But SFM being unbanned would be GLORIOUS
Dammit, you really had me, scrolling down on mobile and saw SFM.

Thanks for ruining my day, WotC will only disappoint now.

bigkrev

Hell of a top-down design

And hey, they managed to not have DFC get spoiled in the sheet leak!

Also, that really doesn't look like a MTG card. Looks like
The early idea for Masterpiece series cards this block before they decided they weren't doing them this set
DIUl1ZzVoAAUIda.png
DIUl1nYV4AA-uDp.png

Justin

Hell of a top-down design

The early idea for Masterpiece series cards this block before they decided they weren't doing them this set
DIUl1ZzVoAAUIda.png
DIUl1nYV4AA-uDp.png

That is really cool. I though the treasure cove was a token at first and not a flip card. Love the frame on it.

ultron87

The back looks like a Dominion card but yeah that's cool! A new take on Double-Faced cards, instead of the Innistrad "transformation" theme is exciting.

bigkrev

Unban Smuggler's Copter.

That.... isn't the worst idea? There are actually answers to it now. I think people would be pissed though, if they sold off their Copters after they were banned, and suddenly need them again.

I'd unban Emrakul and Reflector Mage and let people have "fun" for a few weeks before they rotate, but WOTC should never listen to me

It's funny to me that I called this from the Grimlock thing despite that not actually turning out to be real evidence. (I don't think we ever had another explanation for the extra-large set size though.)

Also, this is the first time we've seen a land on the back of a DFC, right?

They hired a new designer with the specific mandate to use more varied frame treatments and have been saying for a while that they'll experiment more within normal sets. This could've been a masterpiece concept but they said that they decided to stop doing them every set during Amonkhet selection so I wouldn't be surprised if they never got that far.

The back looks like a Dominion card

Thank you! People on twitter etc. have a lot of dumb comparisons to make as usual, but this one is actually spot-on for a variety of reasons:

treasuremap.jpg

Bandini

I was all for a Street Wraith ban, but that new Hollow One deck is pretty cool and not insanely overpowered. A DS ban is fine for me, Grixis will be fine without it. Tasigur and Angler can be somewhat managed with graveyard hate. DS is just too much value, it's a dumb card especially when the deck can just strip out all your answers to it. Just my two cents but I'm tired of playing against it and I don't think a ban hurts Modern.

Sam Stoddard mentions on Twitter that the weird card face design is because unlike regular DFCs, you don't have "doesn't have a mana cost" as an obvious visual signal that it's a back side with land, so making the card look weird helps reinforce it.

bigkrev

en_TEfbSu9pam.png

Starting with this set, all planeswalkers past, present, and future will have the supertype legendary. They will also be subject to the "legend rule." The "planeswalker uniqueness rule" is going away. What does this mean? In short, everything that's true about legendary creatures will now be true about legendary planeswalkers.

Under the new rules, if a player controls more than one legendary planeswalker with the same name, that player chooses one and puts the other into their owner's graveyard. This means that if you control Jace, Unraveler of Secrets and cast Jace, Cunning Castaway, both Jaces can exist under your control.

Planeswalkers will continue to have planeswalker types (Jace, Nissa, Bolas, and so on). However, those subtypes won't be used by any rule to determine what a player can retain control of. Cards like Jace's Defeat will continue to be able to refer to those subtypes.

Explore is a new mechanic

en_gohG04WiSz.png

Not sure Sphere was the right call. It'd be a bummer if budget-ish Eldrazi decks got taken out in the crossfire.

Now that it's confirmed, not sure I see the point of the Legendary change on PWs either.

bigkrev

Not sure Sphere was the right call. It'd be a bummer if budget-ish Eldrazi decks got taken out in the crossfire.

Now that it's confirmed, not sure I see the point of the Legendary change on PWs either.

It's a step they had to take before they can consider banning Workshop. They are scared to reprint cards worth too much money, they must be terrified of banning a 4x $1000 card

And while it was dumb that you could have Thalia DKA and Thalia EDM in play, but not Jace RTR and Jace SOI, I think the change is dumb as well

Stop printing cards that are good with Atraxa. Either that or go back in time and undo her.
The back looks like a Dominion card but yeah that's cool! A new take on Double-Faced cards, instead of the Innistrad "transformation" theme is exciting.
First thing that came to mind.
They couldn't make him any more naked? At least give him a shirt to wear on a frickin boat. Now he just looks stupid.

Also this rules change is a huge buff to my Narset Superfriends deck. No more choosing which Ajani or Elspeth to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom