• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magic: the Gathering |OT13| Ixalan - We already know all the cards, no need to visit the thread

oh wait that might not get as many clicks as we'd like

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
Bought a few packs of HoD and my first foil is! A Forest lol

And I've bought a booster pack for the players kind enough to walk me through my first few games, and their packs have been fucking awesome, mine? Not so much....

Crocodile

PAX is next weekend? Is there a coming out party for Ixalan? I guess official Ixalan spoilers are coming way sooner than I thought. I hope WOTC accounted in their preview plans that like a third of the set leaked. You can't publicly acknowledge the spoilers but they must know that the most invested of Magic players, those who pay attention to spoiler season the most, are aware of those leaks. It was a WHILE ago so hopefully that should be enough lead time to adjust.

Wulfric

I think they're having the Ixalan worldbuilding panel at PAX. Probably the same structure as last year's events. But yeah, the leaks will certainly take the wind out of their sails for the hardcore demographic.

Justin

PAX is next weekend? Is there a coming out party for Ixalan? I guess official Ixalan spoilers are coming way sooner than I thought. I hope WOTC accounted in their preview plans that like a third of the set leaked. You can't publicly acknowledge the spoilers but they must know that the most invested of Magic players, those who pay attention to spoiler season the most, are aware of those leaks. It was a WHILE ago so hopefully that should be enough lead time to adjust.

That WPN article that they posted earlier in the week in error was dated for Friday so sometime before next Friday they planed on spoiling atleast the promo cards.

I wonder if, in the face of significant leaks, they could change their approach for previews. For example, those "behind the scenes" articles they do after a set is out where they show you some / all the dev comments on the card and tell a story about it. Maybe leaked cards (where interesting) could come with that level of detail. Or something, maybe that still isnt interesting? Obviously more work, though.

I wonder if, in the face of significant leaks, they could change their approach for previews. For example, those "behind the scenes" articles they do after a set is out where they show you some / all the dev comments on the card and tell a story about it. Maybe leaked cards (where interesting) could come with that level of detail. Or something, maybe that still isnt interesting? Obviously more work, though.
One major issue is that in the past few years, they've been using card previews as a reward for fan sites, driving more traffic to them. Those sites took advantage of this by providing their own commentary on the cards, which would hopefully lead more readers to the rest of their articles. You can't really do that with design stories. And even if they did provide that, the cards are what drove new readers to those sites. Relatively few players actually care about behind the scenes stuff.

They'll almost certainly do card previews like normal, since there really isn't much else they can do.

Play Design article on how they test Limited, which I thought was interesting.

LGS is hosting a $1K prize Modern tournament. Here's where I'm at with my 75.
21 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Scrying Sheets

2 Eternal Scourge
1 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Pia and Kiran Nalaar
1 Spitebellows
3 Stormbreath Dragon

2 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
4 Koth of the Hammer

2 Anger of the Gods
4 Blood Moom
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Mind Stone
1 Ratchet Bomb
4 Relic of Progenitus
4 Skred

Sideboard
3 Dragon's Claw
2 Ensnaring Bridge
2 Goblin Rabblemaster
4 Molten Rain
2 Pithing Needle
2 Shattering Spree
Still making tweaks here and there. Debating on if I need to make room for a Batterskull, Magma Jet, more Ratchet Bombs, or some number of Crumble to Dust. Eldrazi Tron and Titan Shift have been my worst matchups thus far.

red13th

Magic is so unexciting right now, been a while since I felt this way. Ixalan is going to be such a lukewarm spoiler season too due to the leaks. zzzz

I'm having a ton of fun with the new Commander decks. I've always enjoyed dumb Tribal EDH builds (I basically had the Vampire and Dragon decks built already, along with Angels and Theros Gods), and now everyone wants to durdle along with me in the land of creature-heavy decks that just want to brawl forever.

I'm sure the magic will wear off in a month or two, though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
LGS is hosting a $1K prize Modern tournament. Here's where I'm at with my 75.
Still making tweaks here and there. Debating on if I need to make room for a Batterskull, Magma Jet, more Ratchet Bombs, or some number of Crumble to Dust. Eldrazi Tron and Titan Shift have been my worst matchups thus far.
Surprised you don't have Rabblemaster in the main. I thought that was the fastest win con in the deck but maybe that's only in legacy prison decks

Justin

I hope Explore is a cool mechanic because if the format is slow enough I want an Explore + Winding Constrictor + Panharmonicon ramp/counters deck.

Edit: meh, explore puts the land in your hand, not onto the battlefield

I think Constrictor/Counters is probably dead without Nissa, anyway.

Bae was so much value, without her its kind of durdly "wait for Gearhulk" deck, and Control just does that better.

Ashodin

Badass cats

wImf8Pw.png

Surprised you don't have Rabblemaster in the main. I thought that was the fastest win con in the deck but maybe that's only in legacy prison decks
I go back and forth between that and Scourge in the main. I'm not as up on Legacy's meta, but it's my understanding that those decks tend to run less removal than Modern, which Scourge is great against.

If anyone is looking for the Cat deck or the Wizard deck, I have a copy of each I'd be willing to trade. Well, they are in transit, I do not physically have them in hand yet.

My daughter wanted Vampires and my son Dragons. Awesome choices as far as this Dad is concerned!

I've even been using my prize credit at CFB to get cards to upgrade their decks.

Even myself would love to built a Vampire deck using Edgar Markov. Such a strong card!

edgarmarkov.jpg

Another really strong Commander is in the Dragon deck: Ramos.

ramos-dragon-engine-61358-medium.jpg

All that mana! All those +1 counters!

Anyone read Next Level Magic and/or Next Level Deckbuilding by Chapin? Recommend?

I read the deckbuilding book as a pdf 5 years ago and found it to be excellent. A lot of the content is historical, a fact which I loved but may make it less useful to others who are looking for more modern analysis. All of the concepts are still relevant.

Later picked up the NLM pdf. It was dreadful. Much of the content is about building a playtesting team of non-flakey individuals and properly hydrating on tourney days. Serious bullshit. I think the latter half or third was actual in-game decision-making. If memory serves, that portion was fine, but not close to worth the $30 investment or whatever it had cost.

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
I read the deckbuilding book as a pdf 5 years ago and found it to be excellent. A lot of the content is historical, a fact which I loved but may make it less useful to others who are looking for more modern analysis. All of the concepts are still relevant.

Later picked up the NLM pdf. It was dreadful. Much of the content is about building a playtesting team of non-flakey individuals and properly hydrating on tourney days. Serious bullshit. I think the latter half or third was actual in-game decision-making. If memory serves, that portion was fine, but not close to worth the $30 investment or whatever it had cost.

Thanks for the impressions. I'll stick with the deckbuilding book then.

Ashodin

We did 4-player commander tonight with everyone who bought a precon. Some of the most fun magic I've ever had.

I, of course, won by switching my commander to Nazahn, because Equipment rules.

Got a Renegade Rallier for my troubles.

Did y'all know Balan was a gal? The joys of no boob plate.
Duh she has no lion's mane

Also these descriptions make it sound like Inalla is from Dominaria
INALLA, ARCHMAGE RITUALIST
Inalla is a masterful wizard whose quest for power led her to probe the depths of the darkest sorcery. She concealed her arcane practice from the elders of her conclave, impressing them with her talent and working her way up to the position of archmage.

MAIRSIL, THE PRETENDER
As a member of the Conclave of Mages on Dominaria, Mairsil used forbidden magic to betray the archmage, Lord Ith, by imprisoning him in an enchanted cage. Mairsil installed himself as the First Among the Equals and imbued his life force into a magical ring.

Sealed GP being streamed DansGame

Wulfric

Yo, so apparently there's a ban announcement tomorrow? What's up with that? I was totally out of the loop on the news.

Smh, it's probably Death's Shadow.

Repgnar

What are your guys' thoughts on Majestic Myriach? With half of the standards sets rotating out i've been looking around at brewing some stuff before Ixalan comes out since the 'meta' here is pretty relaxed for the most part. Interested in making Marionette Master work and possibly Majestic Myriach.

I just want fish to be good again.

And I just want Jund to be great again.

WotC rotates the Modern format via BnR. It's possible our pet decks could be viable again. Maybe.

At least with Fish, Merfolk could get some new cards in Ixalan. It's possible. I'm not sure how Ixalan will fall on the power level scale, but probably weak?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom