• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Luminous Arc - DS SRPG + Mitsuda

jj984jj said:
That won't happen unless we get a Chrono, he said he'd stop doing games remember? For whatever reason he has an attraction to the DS and it's keeping him with video games, but I'm sure if S-E were to make a new Chrono game for PS3 he'd compose for it.

I actually don't recall him saying he wasn't doing games anymore but still if that's true.. that's lame! D:

ethelred

DarknessTear said:
I actually don't recall him saying he wasn't doing games anymore but still if that's true.. that's lame! D:

He was bored with game composition. It was never a big interest of his... he's always had grander designs for himself (film and the like). And now he's a big enough name that he can basically just compose albums of original music unattached to any other media.

ethelred said:
He was bored with game composition. It was never a big interest of his... he's always had grander designs for himself (film and the like). And now he's a big enough name that he can basically just compose albums of original music unattached to any other media.

Yeah well he should remember he started off licking people's boots and then worked up to composing CT. :| Now he makes only half-decent albums like Kirite with bad singers!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DarknessTear said:
Yeah well he should remember he started off licking people's boots and then worked up to composing CT. :| Now he makes only half-decent albums like Kirite with bad singers!
I'm sure he's thankful to S-E and that's why he said he'd do a new Chrono if S-E asked:
N-Sider: Speaking of Chrono, if Square were to approach you to compose a new Chrono game, would you do it now even though you're an independent composer?

Mitsuda: (laughs) Of course, i'm willing to!

jj984jj said:
I'm sure he's thankful to S-E and that's why he said he'd do a new Chrono if S-E asked:

Yeah I've read that review before. I still think he should go back to composing games and not solo albums. ;o Plus he IS doing music for games still, just not completely. He seems to not really like how RPG compositions are going right now, I remember him complaining about battle results music and having to compose it. Or maybe that was Hirota ;o

jarrod

Banned
ethelred said:
When I look at all the console SRPGs we got last gen (FFT, Tactics Ogre, Ogre Battle 64, Ogre Battle Limited Edition, Vandal-Hearts, Kartia, Arc the Lad 2, Dragon Force) and then look at this gen and see a landscape almost entirely dominated by NIS games, it makes me a bit sad. There are multiple types of SRPGs, and this is the one that appeals to me the absolute least.
On the bright side, at least we got Fire Emblem this gen. Outside that thpugh I'd agree, it's been a rather steep decline for the genre... you forgot a few good last gen ones too btw (Shining Force III, Hoshigami, Front Mission 3, etc).

ethelred

jarrod said:
On the bright side, at least we got Fire Emblem this gen. Outside that thpugh I'd agree, it's been a rather steep decline for the genre... you forgot a few good last gen ones too btw (Shining Force III, Hoshigami, Front Mission 3, etc).

I wasn't trying to give an exhaustive list of the quality RPGs last gen, but yeah, I really should've included Shining Force and Front Mission since they were two of the best. I'd also add Brigandine, Saiyuki, and Vanguard Bandits onto the list of quality ones.

SRPGs this gen have basically been saved by Fire Emblem, Dragon Quarter, and to a lesser extent the Growlanser games. But it just really can't compare to the PSX/N64/Saturn era at all.

Top Bottom