• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Twin Peaks Season 2+Fire walk with me (Spoilers abound)

Tizoc

Please put any Season 3 stuff in spoiler tags

So I enjoyed the first 1/3 of Season 2, and man did it start off with the kind of weirdness that I can enjoy.
The first 1/3 of the Season is indeed as good as people say but sadly once I got in the 2nd part of the Season...I got bored. So bored I ended up just skipping straight to Ep. 22. I see they wrapped up various side plots such as Super Nadine recovering her memory, Donna learning her true biological father, and the Andrew and Thomas subplot got cleared up? What happened to Cahterine and Josie did they die?

Cooper finds an entrance to the red room world/realm and then things go topsy turvy ending with Bob possessing Cooper or such.

I just finished watching fire walk with me, which shows Laura's decent and death at the hands of Bob.

This brings up even more questions, esp. about the 'group' which the short man belongs to, which I assume gets explored in the 3rd season?

Reading up online I see that there is a 5 hour edit of Twin Peaks, does this one cover stuff from Season 2 after the first 1/3 to make events flow faster in order to reach Ep. 22? There is also a fan edit that combines Missing Pieces with Fire walk with me. I see missing pieces as being a collection of scenes that weren't in Fire walk with me, meant to expand further on it.

At any rate, all the David Lynch weirdness has been good but I think I'll take a short break before going into Season 3.

I'm curious what Lynch originally had planned or intended for Season 2 to be; did he only plan for the it last about a dozen or so episodes before going further into the Red Room realm?

SilentRob

You absolutely should (some would argue need to) watch the Missing Pieces of Fire Walk With Me in regards to understanding some of the events of Season 3. I can also vouch for the quality of the Fan Edit that inserted all of these deleted scenes back into the movie, was a great way to rewatch the movie.

You didn't miss much with skipping the bad Fanfic-Episodes of Twin Peaks. Although: Josie is a doorknob now. That's cool.

Strap in for Season 3. You're in for an adventure.

liquidtmd

Banned
...I got bored. So bored I ended up just skipping straight to Ep. 22. I see they wrapped up various side plots

Aww man, you should have stuck with it.

I appreciate the sentiment that post S2 episode 9 there is a 'lull', but if you're going to survive Season 3 you're going to have to really appreciate the 'journey' rather than the destination.

Season 3 is very much more FWWM and Lynch filmography influenced than S1 and S2 influenced.

Josie became a doorknob.

I'm curious what Lynch originally had planned or intended for Season 2 to be; did he only plan for the it last about a dozen or so episodes before going further into the Red Room realm?

All suggestions state he never wanted to solve the who 'killed' Laura. Whilst I don't agree with the network forcing his hand or whatever, I did actually like the overall way S2 was structured. I just feel episode 10 - 20 needed a much higher focus and tightening. The Wyndham Earl plot had much better potential, along with Cooper's ex.

Season 3 plays like a Lynch show with zero network involvement. I very much enjoyed it, however I do feel it shares pacing issues that aren't unlike S2

hoserx

Before someone posts that outrageously overused picture of what episodes suck, let it be known that many people enjoy the middle episodes of S2. There are important things happening in some of them. Plus it's Twin Peaks....... so it's just fun to be there.

The stuff in between the Leland Palmer case and episode 22 builds up and establishes the Black Lodge subplot which becomes the dominant story for the rest of the series, you shouldn't really skip the shitty episodes to be honest.

Tizoc

Before someone posts that outrageously overused picture of what episodes suck, let it be known that many people enjoy the middle episodes of S2. There are important things happening in some of them. Plus it's Twin Peaks....... so it's just fun to be there.

Mind you I said I got bored but I did like a few stuff in it like Thorne's mental state, the whole Civil War he set up was hilarious. I did feel bad for Josie and Catherine being an alpha bitch irritated me.
The Windom Earle being the new antagonist was an interesting approach but I feel if the show was faster paced during these vents that went on I may have liked it more.
Oh and I did feel bad about Super Nadine, esp. when she got back her memory.
I fanything I don't think they're bad, just that they could've been better. I at least skipped any scenes featuring James since it was more his own story than anything and I didn't care about it.

liquidtmd

Banned
The stuff in between the Leland Palmer case and episode 22 builds up and establishes the Black Lodge subplot which becomes the dominant story for the rest of the series, you shouldn't really skip the shitty episodes to be honest.

Right.

And some of the...weaker S2 episodes have good, important stuff with Major Briggs

Javier23

Banned
You skipped the episodes with some of the most important info-dumps of the show (black and white lodges, blue book, Briggs, dugpas, ,owl symbol, etc), so congrats I guess.

Yeah, the stretch can be a chore, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Especially now that Season 3 exist.

Even in the worst episode there is important information that is given. The season finale is built up to with tidbits from Hawk, Briggs, etc. You should go back and power through. Especially if you want to learn about the lodges and what happened to Cooper. (Dweller on the threshold)

If you really need to, skip around a bit within the episodes. The scenes involving James, Billy Zane, Dick Tremaine, and some others aren't important.

Tizoc

Bleh fine I'll go back and watch from Ep. 17 (I stopped at 15 :V) and try to catch on the Lodges and what comes up regarding the 'group'.

hoserx

Mind you I said I got bored but I did like a few stuff in it like Thorne's mental state, the whole Civil War he set up was hilarious. I did feel bad for Josie and Catherine being an alpha bitch irritated me.
The Windom Earle being the new antagonist was an interesting approach but I feel if the show was faster paced during these vents that went on I may have liked it more.
Oh and I did feel bad about Super Nadine, esp. when she got back her memory.
I fanything I don't think they're bad, just that they could've been better. I at least skipped any scenes featuring James since it was more his own story than anything and I didn't care about it.

You have to watch the James stuff so you can understand the memes. That's why you watch Twin Peaks. haha.

oon

Banned
Does that mean you missed out on Denise? Briggs lore?? Gordon Cole antics!? Go back and watch those Denise, Briggs and Cole scenes!

Twin Peaks: The Return is very much a show ABOUT Twin Peaks. It's maybe best enjoyed if you experienced all the highs and lows of the original - but I'll admit it's non-essential. In terms of narrative, you're probably good to go. Emotional beats might not all land, though.

Kazuhira

My only gripe with S2 is how Audrey and Cooper's relationship went poof! all of a sudden there's barely any scene between them,like wtf happened?
I'm so pissed about that,Audrey should've been the one inside the black lodge and not Annie.

liquidtmd

Banned
Does that mean you missed out on Denise? Briggs lore?? Gordon Cole antics!? Go back and watch those Denise, Briggs and Cole scenes!

Twin Peaks: The Return is very much a show ABOUT Twin Peaks. It's maybe best enjoyed if you experienced all the highs and lows of the original - but I'll admit it's non-essential. In terms of narrative, you're probably good to go. Emotional beats might not all land, though.

And some of S2 may be absurd....The civil war re-enactment stuff, the Nadine plot, the absolutely fucking bonkers James plot about him shacking up with a woman from a bar and then being setup to be framed for her husband's murder - all mental and descending from parody of soap opera elements to full on soap

However some of the best times I've had with Twin Peaks is its celebration of absurd.

ExInferus

I thought that episodes 10-14 were mostly solid, except for the super nadine and James nonsense. It gradually becomes worse after that though and picks up in quality again during the last few eps.

I pretty much skipped all of nadine's,James' and Ben's meltdown scenes and had a fairly good time because of it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I caught my girlfriend up with a rewatch before the new season and when we got past the Leland reveal, I started to skip around and only show her the scenes that were important to setting up the climax, or were at least bad enough to be entertaining. The worst thing about the sag for me is how goddamn boring it is.

Camwi

At any rate, all the David Lynch weirdness has been good but I think I'll take a short break before going into Season 3.

You say you like Lynch weirdness, eh? Get ready for a wild fucking ride with season 3, which is one of the greatest seasons of television of all-time.

Tizoc

OK I went back and rewatched the eps. in between
The parts related to the Lodges etc. were pretty small short scenes in a 40 minute episode about a beauty pageant story arc @_@
Somebody please give me the quick run down on the events from Season 2 about them please.

Top Bottom