• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just watched Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Also watched missing pieces.

I have watched Twin Peaks S1 and 2. Both were good. Haven't watched The Return yet.

Fire Walk with Me was excellent. I was having a hard time getting into it at first. Chet Desmond and his investigation is like a shittier Cooper. Kiefer Sutherland was cool though. Once the action switched to Twin Peaks though, the movie became fantastic.

The actress who played Laura was fantastic here and she basically carried the movie. It is basically her descent into madness as she resists becoming a bad person.

What was the ring?

tsumake

Also watched missing pieces.

I have watched Twin Peaks S1 and 2. Both were good. Haven't watched The Return yet.

Fire Walk with Me was excellent. I was having a hard time getting into it at first. Chet Desmond and his investigation is like a shittier Cooper. Kiefer Sutherland was cool though. Once the action switched to Twin Peaks though, the movie became fantastic.

The actress who played Laura was fantastic here and she basically carried the movie. It is basically her descent into madness as she resists becoming a bad person.

What was the ring?

Season 3 is pure Lynch. You have been warned.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I remember hearing a lot of bad things about it (including on GAF) over the years. When I did a full viewing of Twin Peaks recently for the first time, though, I thought it was brilliant. Guessing that people who liked the pared-down, soapy elements of the TV series weren't necessarily ready for the full Lynch experience back then. And it didn't resolve the big cliffhanger. Not doing so gave us an eventual Season 3, so I think it all worked out.

Winter John

Gold Member
When I was a kid I went to a double at the local movie place. It was Betty Blue and Blue Velvet. The place was packed out and Betty was on first. It was a cool fuckin film. A lonely guy hooks up with a hot French goth who's way out of his league. Eventually he figures out she's a nutjob. Like nobody could see that coming. Still, it was a good movie.

So Blue Velvet is up and here comes Dennis Hopper. The place was still packed out at that point. He does his rapey thing with the mask and I start hearing noise behind me. I turn round and women are literally dragging their guys out their seats. I never saw anything like it. I get it though, it was a shocking scene. 10 minutes later the place was almost empty. There was me and maybe 8 other people left still watching it. Now it's considered a classic. No doubt it's one of Lynch's best, but it's definitely not a date movie.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I just finished Season 3 myself. Watched Season 1 and 2 and Fire Walk with me earlier this year.

I also was impressed with Fire Walk with me (and the missing pieces). Very serious not a whimsy/funny as the stuff in Season 1 and 2, probably because Mark Frost wasnt involved.

I think Season 3 ties the show and the movie all together in a great way. Its Lynch so of course Season 3 doesnt give you all the answers but it harmonizes the first seasons and the movie properly I think.

DKehoe

I just finished Season 3 myself. Watched Season 1 and 2 and Fire Walk with me earlier this year.

I also was impressed with Fire Walk with me (and the missing pieces). Very serious not a whimsy/funny as the stuff in Season 1 and 2, probably because Mark Frost wasnt involved.

I think Season 3 ties the show and the movie all together in a great way. Its Lynch so of course Season 3 doesnt give you all the answers but it harmonizes the first seasons and the movie properly I think.
The thing about Fire Walk With Me being more horror focused is it strips away the TV sheen of the soap opera stuff to remind the audience that at its core the story is about the fallout of
a father raping his daughter.
The film opening with a TV being destroyed is Lynch's way of letting the audience know we're in a different medium now.

Last edited:

fatmarco

I was genuinely surprised by Fire Walk With Me for two reasons. One, that it was excellent despite years of people claiming it was bad, and two, just how dark and "R" rated it got.

Last edited:
I liked the tits.
I guess most of the individual elements are fine in isolation but it never comes together. Instead of feeling like a different take on Twin Peaks, it ended up feeling like Lynch was out to prove he was better than his TV audience. He was too self-aware. The director's statement overwhelmed whatever else was going on.

tsumake

I liked the tits.
I guess most of the individual elements are fine in isolation but it never comes together. Instead of feeling like a different take on Twin Peaks, it ended up feeling like Lynch was out to prove he was better than his TV audience. He was too self-aware. The director's statement overwhelmed whatever else was going on.

Do you have examples of that supposed sentiment from Lynch?

For bigtime fans I recommend that Q2 fanedit which re-inserted many of the Missing Pieces material to match the shooting script. It's quite an experience when viewed that way and I definitely encourage it.

Do you have examples of that supposed sentiment from Lynch?
Well it opens with Lynch screaming at his secretary to get him agent whoever in North Dakota, then staring at the camera/audience. That entire first act feels designed to bamboozle fans. That woman with the hand signals was 100% making fun of fans looking for clues, it's all about discount agent Cooper investigating a store-brand Laura Palmer case etc. Weird, unsatisfying shit that's unsatisfying because it's not engaging, not because it's not what I wanted, and that might have been the point but I'm not going to like it just because it's the point. At least we got Harry Dean Stanton out of that trainwreck.

tsumake

Well it opens with Lynch screaming at his secretary to get him agent whoever in North Dakota, then staring at the camera/audience. That entire first act feels designed to bamboozle fans. That woman with the hand signals was 100% making fun of fans looking for clues, it's all about discount agent Cooper investigating a store-brand Laura Palmer case etc. Weird, unsatisfying shit that's unsatisfying because it's not engaging, not because it's not what I wanted, and that might have been the point but I'm not going to like it just because it's the point. At least we got Harry Dean Stanton out of that trainwreck.

Well, Lynch’s intention was to never solve the mystery of Laura Palmer’s murder. The mystery IS the experience. What you mentioned fits in to that intention. 🤷

pel1300

I hate The Return so much. Talk about wasted potential.

I was always weary about David Lynch directing every episode. The guy is great in small doses but needs to be reigned in.

Blond

Banned
I remember hearing a lot of bad things about it (including on GAF) over the years. When I did a full viewing of Twin Peaks recently for the first time, though, I thought it was brilliant. Guessing that people who liked the pared-down, soapy elements of the TV series weren't necessarily ready for the full Lynch experience back then. And it didn't resolve the big cliffhanger. Not doing so gave us an eventual Season 3, so I think it all worked out.

KoU2Wxi.jpg

MacReady13

I remember reading ow this got booed at Cannes. I was setting myself up for the worst. I decided to watch the TV show 1st, and watched the 1st 2 seasons. Brilliant. Show right to the top of my fav shows list right next to The X Files.
Then I watch FWWM. I was in love. How did this film get booed? What were the audience thinking? This is Lynch at his weird best! I'm a big Chris Isaak fan so seeing him here was a bonus. The fact he is so good in his short time on screen was an added bonus! And just when you think it gets weird, it goes even further! And I loved it! To this day it's still my fav Lynch film and one of my fav films of all time. I put it alongside a film like The Shining in that, no matter how many times you watch, it gets creepier and weirder and scarier!

Then I saw season 3 on it's original run and fell in love with Twin Peaks all over again. Pure genius from start to end. I'd consider Twin Peaks to be one of my fav fictional places in all media! I'm hoping 1 day David Lynch decides to do a part 4, but part 3 ended so weirdly perfect I'm happy for it to just stay the way it is!

Nico_D

I hate The Return so much. Talk about wasted potential.

I was always weary about David Lynch directing every episode. The guy is great in small doses but needs to be reigned in.

I didn't HATE it but... yeah. It is quite far up its own ass, too aware of itself. The original was honest and had heart.

For me Twin Peaks end in season 2. It is one of the best open ended finales ever. Haunting.

Last edited:

tsumake

Shill detected.

The Return was a let down. Never bothered to rewatch the borefest. I say this as a huge fan of Mulholland Drive and Twin Peaks s1.

How am I a shill? You assume to have a higher aesthetic insight than Lynch so I’m curious.

If my language is too complicated for you, let me know. I understand that being at the lower end of the bell curve has its challenges.

pel1300

How am I a shill? You assume to have a higher aesthetic insight than Lynch so I’m curious.

If my language is too complicated for you, let me know. I understand that being at the lower end of the bell curve has its challenges.
Damn I must have hit a nerve.

The Return sucked.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I loved twin peaks and the movie, but I stopped watching the new series after that entire episode of how evil came into the world or whatever. An hour of avante garde film festival stuff is too much for me.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Question: favorite Lynch film?

Mine is “Lost Highway,” which apparently takes place in the same universe as Twin Peaks.

SOQfg4L.gif

I remember Blue Velvet the most. So not a definite pick but a pick nonetheless.

Regarding FWWM; can't remember shit except for the scary Bob (the long haired fella) scene.

I distinctly remember (funny how memory works ey) watching the opening scene of Twin Peaks S1 E1 with my parents in the livingroom and being intrigued by it very much. It was around the time The X-Files was already airing if I remember correctly. Anyways it took some years before indulging into S1+2, FWWM and other works from Lynch like the before mentioned Blue Velvet, Lost Highway and Eraserhead. Haven't seen S3 yet. One day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom