• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Dark Souls 2 - eh, perhaps I should have played this before Bloodborne

myco666

Nah, that is one legit bad change. You can already aim manually if you toggle off the lock-on, if you want to do that. When locked-on an enemy, the proper tracking should work. It's counter-intuitive and annoying, and why I never quickly stopped using the damn ultra greatswords in DS2.

Tbh though I didn't really like the UGS in DS1 either, they're all crap compared to the Dragon Bone Smasher. xD

It was bad? I remember it being good. Played with great club most of the game. Haven't played 2 since the last DLC came out so might have different opinion now.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in The Black Gulch now. This area and the one right before it are the worst so far, although that one area in Demon's Souls that bears a striking resemblance to this area is considerably worse.

Dylan

I'm in The Black Gulch now. This area and the one right before it are the worst so far, although that one area in Demon's Souls that bears a striking resemblance to this area is considerably worse.

The moment just as you reach The Black Gulch and are greeted by the glowing eyes of all those poison statues is one of my favourite moments in video games.

The statues were so infuriating all the way down The Gutter, and when you realize that you've just walked into a cave that is littered with them, it's like "You have to be kidding me."

It's the most Dark Souls thing ever.

Jathaine

I actually thought that The Gutter + Black Gulch were the best renditions of the poisonous swamp level in the series.

I personally prefer Farron Keep if for no reason other than that it's much shorter and pretty painless to go through, especially with the dagger weapon art.

Kinsei

Banned

I actually finished both of those areas during my last play session and really enjoyed them. What didn't you like about them?

lome88

I just got done with the main game with the Scholar of the First Sin edition. Picked it up on the cheap on a black friday sale somewhere because I hadn't touched it since the original release for 360 years ago and heard good things about the SotFS updates.

It is now a much better game than it was - enemy placements feel a lot more challenging, while still being fair. Some of the new item placements really shook up what I was expecting after playing the original version. The surprise invasions, even hollowed, was a welcome addition and those damn pursuers being everywhere. I genuinely loved it and can't wait to finally dive into the DLC areas which I've never touched before.

That being said, this is still my least favorite souls game and now I think I know why: the adaptability state. No matter what build you're running in any of the souls games, you can generally guess based on equip load what your roll is going to be able to do. Now, with that added stat you have to worrry about leveling up just your basic dodge move and it severly limits what you think about for mobility throughout the game. There are a million things I'd fix first, but that damn stat made me so mad this time around.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I would say 5-2 in DeS definitely takes that crown.
I see why people like it, but idk 5-2 felt so barren. And that was the point. Just have you wallow in infinite mud while getting gangbanged by every dude from a mile away. I just prefer the more winding, elaborate ones like Blighttown and those two.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I loved the hell out of Dark Souls 2, but I can see why some would be turned off by the structure. It definitely feels more like a massive level pack than one living, interconnected world like you have in Dark Souls 1. This worked for me personally, gave the whole thing a very dream like atmosphere.

GHG

Is this even worth the asking price in the current steam sale?

I've already purchased DS3 and I'm wondering if I should just skip DS2 entirely or not.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I just beat the Black Gulch monster and the spider boss. I now have all four great Souls. I had already ventured into Drangleic castle before acquiring the last two, so far in fact that I actually saw the queen on her throne before I decided that maybe I should save this area for last.

I guess I'm about done with the game?

DemWalls

Alright I just beat the Black Gulch monster and the spider boss. I now have all four great Souls. I had already ventured into Drangleic castle before acquiring the last two, so far in fact that I actually saw the queen on her throne before I decided that maybe I should save this area for last.

I guess I'm about done with the game?

Not really. It's not like you have 20 hours ahead of you, but there're still quite a few things to be done. Can't say anymore, don't wanna spoil.

RalchAC

I've recently started playing Dark Souls 2 Scholar for the first time. Previously I had only played Demon's Souls. A few months I found the game for 8 euros so I said, why not? The fact that it seems to be worse than the first one actually encouraged me to play it first.

So far I've defeated the Giant and the Dragon Rider. Both are easy fights. I've been exploring the area that's unlocked after defeating the later until the cavern with the bonfire and unlocked both the path that leads to the first boss in the Blue Catedral and the flying Knight in the castle that's really fast.

So far so good. I was surprised when I only had 1 Flask at first (I've played a bit of DkS1 at a friend's home and IIRC you started with 3 or 4?) and needed a bit of time to get used to how the game plays.

I haven't looked up much stuff in Google (mostly stuff like why torches didn't appear in my inventory, stuff like that).

I'm using light armour, a sword and a light shield which I mostly use to block arrows. Most of the time I'm fighting using my sword with both hands.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I've recently started playing Dark Souls 2 Scholar for the first time. Previously I had only played Demon's Souls. A few months I found the game for 8 euros so I said, why not? The fact that it seems to be worse than the first one actually encouraged me to play it first.

So far I've defeated the Giant and the Dragon Rider. Both are easy fights. I've been exploring the area that's unlocked after defeating the later until the cavern with the bonfire and unlocked both the path that leads to the first boss in the Blue Catedral and the flying Knight in the castle that's really fast.

So far so good. I was surprised when I only had 1 Flask at first (I've played a bit of DkS1 at a friend's home and IIRC you started with 3 or 4?) and needed a bit of time to get used to how the game plays.

I haven't looked up much stuff in Google (mostly stuff like why torches didn't appear in my inventory, stuff like that).

I'm using light armour, a sword and a light shield which I mostly use to block arrows. Most of the time I'm fighting using my sword with both hands.

I believe Dragon Rider was the third boss I fought. I had fought both the giant boss and The Pursuer before Dragon Rider. Funny enough, The Pursuer is such an early boss yet it's the only one I had so much difficulty with, barring the one I've yet to finally kill after dying a few times (the dog/rat in Doors of Pharros).

Not really. It's not like you have 20 hours ahead of you, but there're still quite a few things to be done. Can't say anymore, don't wanna spoil.

Oooo interesting. I still haven't come across any NPC to convert these boss souls into weapons. Perhaps I missed him/her?

RalchAC

I believe Dragon Rider was the third boss I fought. I had fought both the giant boss and The Pursuer before Dragon Rider. Funny enough, The Pursuer is such an early boss yet it's the only one I had so much difficulty with, barring the one I've yet to finally kill after dying a few times (the dog/rat in Doors of Pharros).

The first few times I fight a new boss I'm mostly sure I'm going to die. I like to take it slow, see what he does, try to dodge stuff in different different directions...

I didn't try the Pursuer (I'm going to guess he is the flying Knight I posted) much because there is quite a long way from a bonfire to his fight (or at least that was my initial impression) and enemies in the area are harder to dodge compared to the giant armours.

horkrux

Ah, I see.

Did you know that if you beat the original Dark Souls 2 on PS3, the credits still say "Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin"?

It made me wonder if anything was changed in the original game when the remaster came out.

All the new story content was patched into vanilla so that's probably why it says SotFS in the credits.

Never made it past the 1st boss in DS2 on PS4. The game feels so off compared to the rest of the series. There is no weight to the characters, the dodging feels really off and the attacks feel really light, which is a disaster when the game throws all these mob enemies at you. It's the only game in the series where I feel like it's "cheap". The enemy placements are also ridiculous

RalchAC

Has Estus Flasks always taken that long to be used? Honest question. I find it's a bit weird seeing your character taking 5 seconds to enjoy his drink in the middle of a hard fight. I don't remember herbs taking that long.

And, as I start fighting bosses with faster (and longer range) attacks, I have to ask something. How are invincibility frames in this game compared to other games in the series? I probably need to improve my rolling skills anyway (and see if I can reduce the input lag my TV creates).

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Has Estus Flasks always taken that long to be used? Honest question. I find it's a bit weird seeing your character taking 5 seconds to enjoy his drink in the middle of a hard fight. I don't remember herbs taking that long.

And, as I start fighting bosses with faster (and longer range) attacks, I have to ask something. How are invincibility frames in this game compared to other games in the series? I probably need to improve my rolling skills anyway (and see if I can reduce the input lag my TV creates).
Estus flasks do take longer. Use the crystals for faster animation, but slower healing.

Iframes are worse in DS2 than any other Souls game. To increase them (and make your estus drinking faster iirc) level up ADP.

I've already purchased DS3 and I'm wondering if I should just skip DS2 entirely or not.

What's the price? Personally I thinks it's worth it. We likely aren't getting another Dark Souls game for awhile, so if you get the urge to play one give it a shot.

I think DS2 suffered from over hyped expectations when released and now being compared to Bloodborne which has a very vocal core audience here on GAF.

I used to hate on it when it was released, but since then (especially with SOTFS and DLC) I've come to appreciate it more. I really liked DS3, but it's very linear. I like that DS2 is a little more open. It does kind of suck that it doesn't have the map designs of the others where everything connects in a meaningful way, but that doesn't really bother me anymore.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to tackle the smelter demon but that son of a bitch has killed me so many times. So right now I am grinding more and more to increase my dex. My str is at 40. I want to equip that bone scythe I got from trading a boss soul.

I'm trying to tackle the smelter demon but that son of a bitch has killed me so many times. So right now I am grinding more and more to increase my dex. My str is at 40. I want to equip that bone scythe I got from trading a boss soul.

You're making want to play again. Has there been people to summon? I'm curious if the community is still there.

NuKERxyz

I played Bloodborne as my first taste in a souls game, i quit it after 1 hour. After almost a year i picked it again and it is my favorite game on Playstation 4. All alone i was able to finishe the game and the Old Hunter's dlc, of course i died a lot...

Two months after that Dark Souls 3 releases, i played it for 25 hours but always felt that it wasn't that great. I wanted more bloodborne. Today i'm gonna start a fresh game in DS3 and i expect to finisht it this time.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I beat the frog boss in the Shrine map after Drangleic Castle. Now I'm in some very dark place where an NPC is telling me now to bring any light, but I'm going to shove a torch in his face when I light up one of the lamps. I hope it doesn't get me killed.

Sushi Nao

I beat the frog boss in the Shrine map after Drangleic Castle. Now I'm in some very dark place where an NPC is telling me now to bring any light, but I'm going to shove a torch in his face when I light up one of the lamps. I hope it doesn't get me killed.

Maybe buy the things you need off him first

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I completed the game. I don't think I'll ever go back to it. The majority of the game felt like a chore with an even greater majority of the maps being completely boring to traverse or play it. No-Man's Wharf was my favorite area and that was pretty early in the game.

And that story. That god damn story.

butman

Because this is the latest thread. I ask here.

I killed the four ancients and now i have access to the king's castle.
What do I do? Do i start the DLCs or can I advance a little further into the castle before reach the endgame?

Kinsei

Banned

What do I do? Do i start the DLCs or can I advance a little further into the castle before reach the endgame?

There's still quite a lot left to do once you finish the castle. You're not at the endgame yet.

I don't think you should skip it, but you could probably wait for a better deal. It does some things better than ds3, and it seemed like the longest game in the series to me. With the dlc, there are dozens and dozens of hours of content. It's probably my least favorite of the series, but even a lesser souls game is still worth playing imo.

Nose Master

Yea, ds2 is junk. The only defense I ever see for it is "so many weapons!" Which is , neat and all, but 90 short swords with identical movesets and mildly different stats don't count, sorry.

Griss

I completed the game. I don't think I'll ever go back to it. The majority of the game felt like a chore with an even greater majority of the maps being completely boring to traverse or play it. No-Man's Wharf was my favorite area and that was pretty early in the game.

And that story. That god damn story.

I had the same experience as you but stopped at the Undead Crypt without beating it. Considering I've beaten ever other souls game at least twice it takes me quite a lot to quit one of them but I just wasn't enjoying myself.

Noone will ever be able to convince me that the level designs or basic gameplay / controls in this game are up to the standard of the other 4 games in the series. Like you, though, I loved No Man's Wharf.

Novocaine

I recommend finishing everything else before moving on to DLC areas.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yea, ds2 is junk. The only defense I ever see for it is "so many weapons!" Which is , neat and all, but 90 short swords with identical movesets and mildly different stats don't count, sorry.

Except they dont all have identical movesets and thats certainly not the only defense for it. But plz, continue spounting bullshit.

Vanadium

Should have just played 1 and 3 instead. There's really no reason to play 2 unless you are starving for more Souls after you beat the proper games.

The PvP is terrible in the entire series, don't believe their lies.

😂😂😂

PvP is a lie. Seriously though, I hate it. But fight clubs were awesome sauce for awhile. But it still sucks.

Top Bottom