• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTT has built a PC that outperforms PS5 at the same price point

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Is buying a PS5 or Xbox really a better bang for your buck? Or, with a little creativity, can you build a gaming PC for the same price, and put shame to the Sony name?

Chapters:
0:00 Intro
1:30 The CPU
2:30 The Motherboard
4:30 Storage
5:03 Storm Trooper
6:05 PSU and GPU
7:40 Doom Eternal
10:00 The Problem with HDR
11:50 Death Stranding
13:30 Ratchet and Clank
14:30 God of War
15:45: Buyer Protection
17:25 The Last of Us
19:00 The Final Comparison
20:35 Outro

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
tl;dr couple more years yet before they can pull it off.

mrcroket

It seems that the console business is changing, PS5 has not dropped in price since launch in 2020, while the PC market has returned to normalized pricing after the crypto crash.

Right now is much more profitable a PC to play, not only you can get one for the price of practically a console, but you have free online, much cheaper games, mods, community patches, free games without subscriptions (epic games), access to all xbox day 1 exclusives, access to almost all playstation exclusives, the entire PC catalog, gamepass, emulation, freedom to use any type of controller, multiple screens or ultrawide....

So my question is what is the excuse now for console gamers?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well, if IGN can decide PSVR2 is dead and folks believe it then Linus can decide to kill the PS5, same difference :messenger_halo:

It's just a clickbait title to show off some cheap but solid PC components performing at console baseline settings, chill folks. It doesn't do as good in all the scenarios (and you don't have to go that low, which is pretty ludicrously low for PC components, you can spend a bit more for better results).

Last edited:

RavageX

It seems that the console business is changing, PS5 has not dropped in price since launch in 2020, while the PC market has returned to normalized pricing after the crypto crash.

Right now is much more profitable a PC to play, not only you can get one for the price of practically a console, but you have free online, much cheaper games, mods, community patches, free games without subscriptions (epic games), access to all xbox day 1 exclusives, access to almost all playstation exclusives, the entire PC catalog, gamepass, emulation, freedom to use any type of controller, multiple screens or ultrawide....

Some people don't want to mess with a pc. That's the same reason it has always been.

sendit

Primarily a PC gamer. Excuse currently, I can't play Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth on PC. Rise of Ronin coming next month will also be a PS5 exclusive for some time. If day 1 exclusives go away on the PS5, I will sell it.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Not a totally fair comparison because if you are talking second hand you can find a digital PS5 for under $300. Then again you can do the whole business PC + second hand GPU for even cheaper then the video as well. But who really cares? Very few gamers are going to be deciding between PC or PS gaming based on a few hundred dollars of second hand goods. Seriously, neither is exactly expensive to get into.

it should be 400 (or 450 going by the slim) since its digital only

Skifi28

If you're not interested in bragging but playing all the latest games, building a PC with similar specs to a console is generally a bad idea in the long run. Yoy always gotta go with something quite a bit more powerful to account for ports not being stellar. I'm not even talking about bad ports, just the average game really. Even with a much more powerful machine I often have issues especially with stuttering (not even shader related) that consoles generally avoid. An entry level CPU for games plus windows is a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
My question is, "Did you actually watch the video?"

I've been watching the video and I'm kind of dumbfounded. So Linus is literally scrounging for parts here, buying them used on ebay and somehow claiming folks can just find a beat up case lying around for free. This is Verge level cringe, imo.

Edit:

Ok.....to be fair, Linus pulled back quite a bit in the end on the bullshit and laid out the negatives of this "PC" they created and pretty much admitted the video title was clickbait. But still this is bullshit as earlier in the video they were claiming this to be a "guide" to build a PS5 equivalent PC.

Linus used to be better than this.

Last edited:

mrcroket

Did you actually watch the video..? They didn't do what the title says, they say so at the end.
Yep, look at the last sentence, "it can be done today"

Does that include a Dualsense controller and quality first party games?
Why would you want a controller when you have a superior keyboard and mouse for less? And yes, on pc you have all the xbox exclusives plus the playstation ones.

Last edited:

Bojji

lFO5Pb1.jpg

Spot on PS5 performance so in bad ports it will perform worse. Plus in older games thanks to Intel drivers and no native dx11 support (maybe that changed since launch IDK).

Roufianos

If you're so price conscious then surely you'd buy your games physically and resell them? Not an option on PC.

Top Bottom