• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 Years later and *I* still can't build a PC more powerful than the Xbox One X at the same price. (Step-by-Step Deconstruction)

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since everyone is cherry picking lowest prices, and some reason ignores the hassle of building a PC yourself, it should really be a comparison like this.

Fall 2017 pricing
Xbox X $500 (don't think there were any deals)
Comes with a controller

PC pricing at that time for similar specs = ?

Spring 2019
Xbox X = Cherry pick the best deal
Comes with a controller

PC pricing now for similar specs = ?

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

The Issue is a Nvidia 1070 GPU and 8GB of DDR5 is $974
XOJNZaz.jpg

Despite this being a troll thread I *do* see the cost of Windows 10 quoted at more than $100.

You can get LEGIT Windows 10 keys on ebay for about $5

That's more than 3000 product ratings while maintaining a perfect 5 star rating. It's legit.

Aside from that, many people don't realize that Windows 10 is essentially FREE.

In previous versions of Windows, if it detected that it wasn't "genuine software" or you didn't have a key, it would severely limit it's functionality. Not true for Windows 10.

Do you know what happens if you install Windows 10 today with NO KEY? What limitations will you experience? Almost nothing.

Basically a FREE copy of Windows 10 today with NO KEY will work perfectly. The only limitation is that it will TRY to stop you from setting your own custom desktop wallpaper... which you can still easily do anyway. That's it.

Varteras

Gold Member
Pretty sure it's been proven at least a few times now that the idea you need an expensive PC to match what the Xbox One X can do is objectively false.

This guy built a PC that can match or exceed the Xbox One X in visual quality and framerate at 4K resolutions for $450 over a year ago. The only two things to take note is that the PC did not have a Blu-Ray drive, which isn't needed for gaming, and its HDD was only 320 GB. Though you can get a 1 TB HDD today for $40 brand new and that was just a quick search. Hell, if you already had parts from a previous rig like a case, HDD, and power supply you could get the CPU, RAM, GPU, and motherboard this guy did for around $350 today. You may even be able to squeeze in 16 GB of DDR3 depending on what you buy. Again, that was just doing a quick search. Not an exhaustive one.

The Xbox One X is definitely worth the price, if you don't mind a significant lack of exclusive experiences and are just trying to get the best third-party experience you can on a console. However, this myth that consoles are magic boxes that can do what a PC can do for half or even a quarter of the price needs to die already.

Elcid

Banned
While his prices are waayyyy off he's still not wrong and I haven't seen anyone disprove him completely. Someone do a pcpartpicker with a PC list that has EVERYTHING including Windows 10 minus the bluray and let's compare it to the XBX. Keep in mind, I don't have a XBX because I have a great PC I built for ~2500 but for console exclusive people I can see how the XBX is a steal, especially if they can get it at 300.

Csr

I am all for a troll thread once in a while as long as op at least tries to respond to people countering his ridiculous statements, otherwise this thread is just garbage taking spots from better threads from the frontpage. Please consider locking.

Airbus Jr

Banned
3 years latter ?

Math isnt your strongest area?

One X came out in Fall 2017

This is 2019

Its not even two years old yet

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's been proven at least a few times now that the idea you need an expensive PC to match what the Xbox One X can do is objectively false.

This guy built a PC that can match or exceed the Xbox One X in visual quality and framerate at 4K resolutions for $450 over a year ago. The only two things to take note is that the PC did not have a Blu-Ray drive, which isn't needed for gaming, and its HDD was only 320 GB. Though you can get a 1 TB HDD today for $40 brand new and that was just a quick search. Hell, if you already had parts from a previous rig like a case, HDD, and power supply you could get the CPU, RAM, GPU, and motherboard this guy did for around $350 today. You may even be able to squeeze in 16 GB of DDR3 depending on what you buy. Again, that was just doing a quick search. Not an exhaustive one.

The Xbox One X is definitely worth the price, if you don't mind a significant lack of exclusive experiences and are just trying to get the best third-party experience you can on a console. However, this myth that consoles are magic boxes that can do what a PC can do for half or even a quarter of the price needs to die already.

But this can not be!

THE XBOX1X is on par with GTX 1070 and due to console super optimizations it can compete with 1080 Ti or so I was told.

demigod

Despite this being a troll thread I *do* see the cost of Windows 10 quoted at more than $100.

That's more than 3000 product ratings while maintaining a perfect 5 star rating. It's legit.

In previous versions of Windows, if it detected that it wasn't "genuine software" or you didn't have a key, it would severely limit it's functionality. Not true for Windows 10.

Do you know what happens if you install Windows 10 today with NO KEY? What limitations will you experience? Almost nothing.

Basically a FREE copy of Windows 10 today with NO KEY will work perfectly. The only limitation is that it will TRY to stop you from setting your own custom desktop wallpaper... which you can still easily do anyway. That's it.

You better run fast if mattyp sees this. He will bicker with you nonstop about how its not free.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Xbox One X is actually much cheaper now and its way lower than 500 USD. People on YouTube tried to match Xbox One X specs by buying parts from eBay and comparing that with initial market price of Xbox One X.

keraj37

It's good to know that. I am planing to have another PC and now I won't need to buy Windows 10 at full price.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am all for a troll thread once in a while as long as op at least tries to respond to people countering his ridiculous statements, otherwise this thread is just garbage taking spots from better threads from the frontpage. Please consider locking.
Should happen anyway because of the pile. It also does not help that some of the meta-commentary is of better quality than OP. (Like below, and i stole it from Discord like a good meme stealer does.)

Thus its best to consider this thread another creation of

GNmHvWr.gif

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Can't believe he forgot a proper HDMI cable. That shit costs at least $ 200.00.

Pfft $200?! That some low end shit, you need at least the Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI to HDMI Cable to even come close the amazing visual/sound fidelity produced from a Xbox One X with a $5 HDMI lead.

wireworld_platstarlighthdmi_square01.jpg

With its 24-conductor DNA Helix design, Composilex 2 insulation and carbon fiber plugs it's a steal starting at the low, low price of $1,000 per meter.

I thought it was already established that an Xbox One X was at a fantastic price and would not be able to build a PC to match the price?

Top Bottom