• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lifetime Nintendo Switch sales surpass PlayStation 4 in the U.S.

DaGwaphics

Yup.

I'm not a Ninty gamer and havent been since SNES, but got to respect the huge number of gamers who enjoy Nintendo first party games and handheld functionality.

Sony and MS dont come close to having insane first party software sales. Sony and others have tried their luck at handheld over the decades and they all dont come close, and all bail ship on portable gaming too.

Every portable maker going up against Gameboy or DS never understands that doing great in portable is simply good games on the go at a good price. Every competitor goes ape shit on features, specs at $100 more assuming a specs race in handhelds will do well. Most of the time it doesnt. And Ninty just steamrolls the competition with lower spec/lower price portable.

That's so true. Nintendo always wins on battery life and pickup and go software. Whether it's Sega, Atari, or Sony everyone else in the portable space either creates something that is dead in 30 minutes or that is trying to play console/pc games on a screen that is too small for the huds, etc.

blacktout

I love the switch but I still wish it was more ergonomic… hopefully they focus on that on their next hardware!
Strongly agree. I loved the joycons at launch and they're an incredible proof of concept, but between drift and the lack of analog triggers and the hand cramping they've become the weakest link in what is otherwise my favorite system of all time.

COVID really helped them the last couple years.

Eh, we'll never know for sure, but it seems like COVID has been both a blessing and a curse to the Switch. It definitely helped drive Animal Crossing mania and Nintendo's absolutely obscene 2020 sales, but the chip shortages and supply chain issues of this and last year that have cost the Switch sales are a consequence of COVID. Not to mention software delays resulting from the pandemic.

kyliethicc

YMh3HFY.gif

Banned
inb4 all the people from the PS1 thread come in and start telling us that this doesn't count because the Switch and the Switch Lite are not the same system 🤣

Varteras

Gold Member
Nintendo did an outstanding turnaround from the Wii U. Merging their console and handheld business together was a genius move. It has allowed them to occupy a perfect space in the market that sees them exist just outside the strongest bounds of competition from console and mobile gaming. Right between both of them. They offer a mobile gaming experience that smartphones can't match. Their first-party, where previously divided between two different markets, is brought fully to bear on one device. The device has been compelling enough to entice enough third-parties to put their games on it, even when normally they would have avoided the platform. Now the question is; will Nintendo risk this success by trying to heavily innovate yet again or will they play it safe and release what is ultimately just a more powerful Switch? If I were them, I would focus on the latter and make your next big push be improving your online infrastructure to something much closer to what Sony and Microsoft have been doing for several generations now.

Javthusiast

Banned
All they need next is a more powerful Switch 2. Fixed joy con drift, improved online, backwards compatibility and that will already be enough. Don't try crazy things to innovate, ride the success further.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Congratulations to Nintendo on the milestone.
Shame it didn't manage it while MS & Sony was still in the 8th generation.
Still, A milestone is a milestone 👍

Last edited:

Rivet

It has a shot at replacing Nintendo DS as the best selling handheld console ever. It seems launch aligned sales track pretty close.

Last edited:

Isa

Gold Member
I'm doing my part!

wQNS8k2.jpg
dRSoV73.jpg
FK52hnT.jpg
Nice setup and colors, plus the shelves and collection look nice. Watching TC IRL I see, noice.

Nice to see Nintendo turn it around after the Wii U(which I own). I like the variety on offer in Nintendo's output, lots of quality amongst them too. Then plenty of other third party stuff I'm partial too, plus the VN scene on Switch is quite robust with a good import side as well for physical with English subtitles. I'd love for a more powerful system, but I actually like what they manage to do with less, I find less realistic games more appealing. Especially with a strong art style. For me Switch has the games I'm anticipating most this year. Can't wait to see what they do next. I wish more companies would do their own thing and stick to their guns.

Baki

Pandemic demand boost will make switch one of the best selling systems of all time.

Sony could’ve sold more PS4s if they didn’t essentially turn off production of the PS4s during the greatest market for game consoles in history.

Baki

Strongly agree. I loved the joycons at launch and they're an incredible proof of concept, but between drift and the lack of analog triggers and the hand cramping they've become the weakest link in what is otherwise my favorite system of all time.

Eh, we'll never know for sure, but it seems like COVID has been both a blessing and a curse to the Switch. It definitely helped drive Animal Crossing mania and Nintendo's absolutely obscene 2020 sales, but the chip shortages and supply chain issues of this and last year that have cost the Switch sales are a consequence of COVID. Not to mention software delays resulting from the pandemic.
COVID inflated demand for game consoles. That’s why all consoles makers were selling out

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I still remember the countless morons criticizing Nintendo's strategy during its initial reveal.

"What no 4K? Even my old phone can do 4K resolution nowadays LOL it gonna fail"
"LOL weak kickstand what is this?"

LBI0JO.gif

And many more.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Switch is just an amazing console. But I loved the wii u so I guess I'm Nintendo crazy.

Totally deserved, consistently make the best games ever. GG.

Wohc

Banned
inb4 all the people from the PS1 thread come in and start telling us that this doesn't count because the Switch and the Switch Lite are not the same system 🤣
Did someone seriously say that? My ignore list is full of fanboys and warriors, but that would be the daddy of them all.

Andyliini

Did someone seriously say that? My ignore list is full of fanboys and warriors, but that would be the daddy of them all.
It was a while ago, but yes, there was atl east one user who argued that Switch and Switch Lite are different devices and sales of those should not be combined.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
LOL. I faintly remember that shit too. I forget who it was. But wouldnt be surprised if there were more than one person. Switch classified as a console and Switch Lite is a portable.

Celine

Eh, end of life Switch will be ahead of the PS4 by 10-15 million units in US...
Worldwide the difference will be much wider.

TLZ

Banned
I still remember the countless morons criticizing Nintendo's strategy during its initial reveal.

"What no 4K? Even my old phone can do 4K resolution nowadays LOL it gonna fail"
"LOL weak kickstand what is this?"

LBI0JO.gif

And many more.
The kickstand is weak and shit. Nintendo changed it in the OLED. It's much better now.

Tangerine

People are tribalistic by nature. Removes objectivity, obviously. Safety in numbers among a myriad of other benefits in our evolutionary past is difficult to change/stamp out.

But still...fuck them! Our tribe is better ;)

I'm still waiting for the Switch to go on sale... I've resigned myself to the fact that the Switch probably won't ever see a price drop until the next iteration comes out.

Top Bottom