• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lifetime Nintendo Switch sales surpass PlayStation 4 in the U.S.

ManaByte

Nintendo Switch’s sales momentum in the United States has pushed it past its most significant rival. The hybrid home/handheld’s lifetime sales have now surpassed the PlayStation 4, according to industry-tracking firm The NPD Group.

“Lifetime unit sales of Nintendo Switch have now surpassed those of PlayStation 4, making it the 4th highest unit-selling console in U.S. history, and the 6th highest unit-selling video game hardware platform overall.”

its probably the biggest success story in the gaming industry going from the Wii U to this.

Ezquimacore

Banned
Love to see it, people keep calling it the "underpowered" system, but they don't seem to understand Nintendo developed the next evolution in handheld gaming more than 5 years ago. Why? It's either the switch/switch lite with the amazing library, your overpowered phone that has to stream games because even after 10 years developers don't use that power for real games, or the steamdeck that you can't even buy at stores.

Funny thing is this is the most pirated Nintendo console ever, even on phones already but the sales are there even with that. Switch 2 is going to be the actual menace.

Just traded in the launch Switch for a Switch OLED. My daughter was freeking out because of 'island' copy syndrome. Animal Crossing really is really protective of their saves system I guess.
Nintendo needs to fix that mess right quick. I'm not going through that drama again if I get her her own switch.
I don't know why they have such convoluted save games that are game specific. Why can't I just move everything to the sd card and simply move the card to the new switch?
Anyway the new OLED Switch is working out pretty nice otherwise, Traded in the old switch for some games.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
excited pelvic thrust GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Love to see it, people keep calling it the "underpowered" system, but they don't seem to understand Nintendo developed the next evolution in handheld gaming more than 5 years ago. Why? It's either the switch/switch lite with the amazing library, your overpowered phone that has to stream games because even after 10 years developers don't use that power for real games, or the steamdeck that you can't even buy at stores.

Funny thing is this is the most pirated Nintendo console ever, even on phones already but the sales are there even with that. Switch 2 is going to be the actual menace.
Yup.

I'm not a Ninty gamer and havent been since SNES, but got to respect the huge number of gamers who enjoy Nintendo first party games and handheld functionality.

Sony and MS dont come close to having insane first party software sales. Sony and others have tried their luck at handheld over the decades and they all dont come close, and all bail ship on portable gaming too.

Every portable maker going up against Gameboy or DS never understands that doing great in portable is simply good games on the go at a good price. Every competitor goes ape shit on features, specs at $100 more assuming a specs race in handhelds will do well. Most of the time it doesnt. And Ninty just steamrolls the competition with lower spec/lower price portable.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Just traded in the launch Switch for a Switch OLED. My daughter was freeking out because of 'island' copy syndrome. Animal Crossing really is really protective of their saves system I guess.
Nintendo needs to fix that mess right quick. I'm not going through that drama again if I get her her own switch.
I don't know why they have such convoluted save games that are game specific. Why can't I just move everything to the sd card and simply move the card to the new switch?
Anyway the new OLED Switch is working out pretty nice otherwise, Traded in the old switch for some games.

Can you not transfer the saves?

How to Transfer Animal Crossing: New Horizons Save Data​

Applies to: Nintendo Switch Family, Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Lite, Nintendo Switch - OLED Model

In this article, you'll learn how to transfer save data for Animal Crossing: New Horizons to a new Nintendo Switch system.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons allows you and up to 7 others on your Nintendo Switch system to live on one shared island. The save data for the island or for the individual residents of the island can be transferred to a new Nintendo Switch system after updating the game software to the latest version. The island save data can also be backed up in case you lose access to your Nintendo Switch system and can be restored on a replacement system.

Source:

Last edited:

Sybrix

Nintendo showing that to make great games and sell consoles you dont need to 4k @ 60fps tag line bullshit.

BOTW is one of the greatest games ever made, won countless GOTY awards yet you'd be lucky to get consistent 30fps on Switch, doesnt make it less of a game.

Sony and Microsoft can learn alot from Nintendo and vice versa, Nintendo's Online capabilities are woeful, however their 1st party line up is second to none.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Switch is killing it. Amazing library of games and the hybrid format is awesome. Probably gonna crush PS2 lifetime sales. Watch the fanboys erupt in flames tripping over themselves claiming "Switch is not a real console" or "Switch lite sales doesn't count, that's a different SKU".

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
gg ps4

A console that sells that much, without call of duty and other big games is huge.
Props to Nintendo.
yeah cause pokemon, mario, zelda, smash, animal crossing etc aren't big games.

iu

mario kart 8 deluxe - 53.8m sales
new horizons - 38.6m
botw - 28.2m sales
smash - 28.1m sales
odyssey - 23.5m sales

there are only 5 CoD games in the top #50 best selling games of all time.

Last edited:

leo-j

Switch is killing it. Amazing library of games and the hybrid format is awesome. Probably gonna crush PS2 lifetime sales. Watch the fanboys erupt in flames tripping over themselves claiming "Switch is not a real console" or "Switch lite sales doesn't count, that's a different SKU".
Nah, switch is falling behind DS numbers almost significantly world wide. Ds stopped selling well before getting to ps2 numbers. Nintendo is trying tho with 3 different switch SKU’s.

leo-j

Yup.

I'm not a Ninty gamer and havent been since SNES, but got to respect the huge number of gamers who enjoy Nintendo first party games and handheld functionality.

Sony and MS dont come close to having insane first party software sales. Sony and others have tried their luck at handheld over the decades and they all dont come close, and all bail ship on portable gaming too.

Every portable maker going up against Gameboy or DS never understands that doing great in portable is simply good games on the go at a good price. Every competitor goes ape shit on features, specs at $100 more assuming a specs race in handhelds will do well. Most of the time it doesnt. And Ninty just steamrolls the competition with lower spec/lower price portable.
Sony left because of the mobile gaming market eating into handheld sales:

DS + PSP = 240 + million
3DS + VITA= 90 + million

Switch is a console / handheld and it’s racing past 110 million soon. We shall see but the handheld market has fallen off a cliff due to the options of tablets.

Hezekiah

Banned
😄

kingfey

Banned
gg ps4

yeah cause pokemon, mario, zelda, smash, animal crossing etc aren't big games.

iu

mario kart 8 deluxe - 53.8m sales
new horizons - 38.6m
botw - 28.2m sales
smash - 28.1m sales
odyssey - 23.5m sales

there are only 5 CoD games in the top #50 best selling games of all time.
No one is talking about their games.

Zeroing

Banned
It is indeed a great comeback coming from the Wii U.
I love the switch but I still wish it was more ergonomic… hopefully they focus on that on their next hardware!

TidusYuna

Hopefully this convinces Sony to revisit the handheld market. Wouldn't mind a vita 2 with ps2/psp/vita carts. They can focus first party on ps5

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
And Nintendo carried the system itself with its own software for the most part. They do not give a fuck about what the rest of the industry is doing and still pull in these crazy numbers. Gotta respect it. Now give me a Switch Pro, will ya?

During the Wii U era I was worried Nintendo might cease to exist. Glad that's not the case. Even if I don't personally like the direction they took.

I still wish they would also offer high a tech version of their console and better services like online and achievements and so on.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
No one is talking about their games.
you made it out that it's impressive Nintendo can sell so many consoles without "Big" games and yet Nintendo has some of the best selling games of all time. it's not a surprise that Switch is selling well. Nintendo consoles generally sell well. they have the #2, #3, #5, #7, #10, #12, #13, and #15 best selling consoles of all time. that would make them more successful than Sony or Microsoft.

For me currently Switch is the one delivering on the games I enjoy.
same. it feels weird not to have a new Sony/MS console after almost 2 years into a generation but i really don't give a shit. my PC + PS4 are enough for now it seems. no real need to get a PS5 or Series X. Switch has real exclusives that I can't play anywhere else. It's easily my favourite console of the last 5-9 years.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
you made it out that it's impressive Nintendo can sell so many consoles without "Big" games and yet Nintendo has some of the best selling games of all time. it's not a surprise that Switch is selling well. Nintendo consoles generally sell well. they have the #2, #3, #5, #7, #10, #12, #13, and #15 best selling consoles of all time. that would make them more successful than Sony or Microsoft.
My point was that, Nintendo managed to hit those numbers, without needing those games.
Meaning people care about their games more than anything.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Nintendo is a beast and always has been even during dips in their home console popularity. The Switch simplified their offering into 1 hybrid machine but they always were overall dominant in gaming due to Gameboy sales.

Will pass it worldwide soon. The Switch was actually selling a similar amount each year as PS4 launch aligned until Switch's FY 20-21 and then it went into overdrive, that year (blue) the Switch outsold PS4's comparative year by 9.82 million and this past year (purple) it outsold PS4's comparative year by 5.26 million. Certain circumstances might have had an impact.

D6UU53s.png

h9QcNQo.png

Last edited:
I never doubted the Switch, all Nintendo games combined in a single portable console that can get docked on a TV is just an unbeatable idea. The results are beyond impressive.

I think the Switch 2 will be even bigger if Nintendo is able to just refine the idea instead of coming up with something crazy.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Played my Switch more than PS4 and PC combined up until the last year or so. Great execution by Nintendo on the promise of the seamless console/handheld hybrid. Besides Metroid it’s kinda sat idle for a while though, usually only when my kid bugs me to play Mario is when I turn it on lately.

Surf Ninja

I never doubted the Switch, all Nintendo games combined in a single portable console that can get docked on a TV is just an unbeatable idea. The results are beyond impressive.

I think the Switch 2 will be even bigger if Nintendo is able to just refine the idea instead of coming up with something crazy.
Yeah. I think they just need to make another Switch, but with more Switchiness.

Top Bottom