• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Level Scaling in games is bullshit

adamosmaki

Its a s***t mechanic. When i m levelling up i expect enemies i had trouble defeating to be easier and the game if its really well design it will give me a challenge by introducing new and better enemies

Phase

When you were powered up, you kicked the shit out of low level MF runs. Like it should be.

Otherwise, what's the point?
Right, but what specifics did they implement to make this a reality? That's what I'm asking because it's been ages since I've played it.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

It's really the only way you can play with friends while leveling because someone undoubtedly is going to have more time to play and be further along.

Nydius

It's really the only way you can play with friends while leveling because someone undoubtedly is going to have more time to play and be further along.

Precisely. I understand why people dislike it and even agree with them in many, if not most, cases. But for games like Diablo 4 scaling is, unfortunately, a necessary evil. Without scaling, it hamstrings the ability to play with others.

cormack12

Gold Member
The NPCs scale to your level though, not your gear/augments/skills.

So you can feel yourself getting more powerful by being able to have encounters with more enemies, more variance.

However it is always fun to go back and fuck up low level areas like what KoA did. I think a good balance would be to have clusters of low level enemies but an equal number of level equivalent. It was a pain in the ass in some areas of D2 looking for elites/named elites when farming.

I'm playing Diablo 4 rn, and while the game is amazing, I think level scaling is horse shit especially in games like this.
You're never really overpowered, each time you level up the enemies lvl with you, I wanna wreck their shit up with ease, isn't this the point of leveling up? To become god like being after been stuck in enemy, that's part of why the souls game feel so rewarding.
Now that I think about it, i don't think I ever liked level scaling in any game before
I see where you're coming from, but what's funny is every point your brought up is opposite for me. Witcher 3 is a great example. without level scaling you just sneeze on targets and they die. i want to enjoy the combat the whole way through and it not become trivial. Your skill, abilities, and gear grow and you're still much more powerful than lower level content but you still have to think while engaging. I've beat most souls games, and other than farming souls I don't think I enjoy the idea of being that much stronger since theirs no level scaling. that's one reason I like it as an option. in assassins creed and witcher you can turn it on or off. best of both worlds. people like you can and enjoy the same game that people like me enjoy.

Dr_Ifto

I used to think that level scaling sucked, but realisticly, the enemies should be near your level at all times. So you dont have that why are the easiest enemies near the camp all the time. Plus it allows for all mobs to drop better loot, xp, and whatnot.

There may be times I like to turn it off, but i usually leave it on. Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Odyssey, and a few others recently were better experiences with it on.

Nico_D

I don't have D4 and reading these I'm in no hurry getting it. I think level scaling shouldn't follow the player level fully but trail behind around 70-80%: give a small challenge but still not take away the feeling of getting stronger.

But all in all, it is pretty stupid system.

Is a lazy way devs found to 'increase' difficult.

I remember playing God of War day one and many people like me complain about level scaling turning foes into sponge.
I still remember the hilarity of watching my man split fucking boulders and red forest trees and when the game finally gives me control over an actual fight, each one of the trash mob grunts took like four massive combo chains to finish off.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

(PS: I know this is off-topic, my bad, just needed to hate on it)

I used to think that level scaling sucked, but realisticly, the enemies should be near your level at all times. So you dont have that why are the easiest enemies near the camp all the time. Plus it allows for all mobs to drop better loot, xp, and whatnot.

There may be times I like to turn it off, but i usually leave it on. Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Odyssey, and a few others recently were better experiences with it on.
If the enemy is always your level then you shouldn't have levels. Zelda games almost never have levels and it worked.

The complaint isn't inability to get stronger, it is the fact that leveling itself is being treated like fake-progression. Almost like the studio want to use it to give dopamine but don't actually want it to affect the game.

Much like how Anthem has fake damage numbers to make you think your character is killing monsters faster, when in fact you are taking longer to kill enemies than you were before. The fakeness is just dishonest. Just take the whole leveling thing away if you hate it so much.

Dr_Ifto

If the enemy is always your level then you shouldn't have levels. Zelda games almost never have levels and it worked.

The complaint isn't inability to get stronger, it is the fact that leveling itself is being treated like fake-progression. Almost like the studio want to use it to give dopamine but don't actually want it to affect the game.

Much like how Anthem has fake damage numbers to make you think your character is killing monsters faster, when in fact you are taking longer to kill enemies than you were before. The fakeness is just dishonest. Just take the whole leveling thing away if you hate it so much.
The game gets easier with skills. I just recently played Tactics Ogre Reborn, and it had scaling. But as you leveled up and got skills, the game got easier and easier, and you could face bosses, which were always x levels above you easily cause skills are where you get the most improvement.

However, yes, scaling negates some need of scaling, but with the right balance it can work. Games should offer the ability to turn off scaling.

I hate that the most. I love when I enter a zone in an RPG just to see enemies with skulls or red lvl numbers beside their health bars saying "YOU CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD!" and I do jack shit to them and get destroyed in a few hits or one-shot. Then later I come back and wreck everything up. That's power progression. You become a God amongst men! That's the beauty of RPGs to me.

That's not to say I'm totally against lvl scaling but it is mostly done wrong if enemies of early areas don't get melted by my endgame gear.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Level scaling is the only reason why I hesitate every time I want to start FF8. I’m legitimately scared. I mean just recently finished Stick of Truth and it has level scaling but I still had no issues even with a high level and it is an easy RPG overall. Now FF8 the stories of how horrible the level scaling is scares me.

Level scaling is the only reason why I hesitate every time I want to start FF8. I’m legitimately scared. I mean just recently finished Stick of Truth and it has level scaling but I still had no issues even with a high level and it is an easy RPG overall. Now FF8 the stories of how horrible the level scaling is scares me.
FF8 is the case where leveling is BAD. As in if you do things right the easiest game is one where your level is as low as possible, because leveling is a detriment.

I mean it isn't as bad as Oblivion where the strongest character is an insomniac who is stuck at level 2. But FF8 is basically a game revolving around magic draws. The leveling is a trap and you should refuse to do it entirely.

That is another reason to hate level scaling; when it gets so bad that level up becomes a punishment.

Last edited:

Comandr

Level scaling mostly sucks. On one hand it’s an easy way to ensure there is always content for players to engage in, but on the other hand you never feel truly powerful.

In regards to Diablo 4, at the very least, one really good item can completely change the game though. I got some unique gloves last night that essentially made the game hold A to win.

I will never forget my frustration in FF14 killing various primals and ancient weapons and then going to a new region and some dipshit is like “help bugs are eating my crops :(

And then the bugs are level 70 and I’m having to throw my biggest spells at them and it’s like a 2 minute fight. Like what the fuck? I’m the warrior of light and these bees are hitting me harder than ultima weapon? Lame.

0 issues and it serves it's purpose.
D4 wants you to find good build synergies and gear to rolfstomp enemies. As it should be. And also makes it way more rewarding.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
FF8 is the case where leveling is BAD. As in if you do things right the easiest game is one where your level is as low as possible, because leveling is a detriment.

I mean it isn't as bad as Oblivion where the strongest character is an insomniac who is stuck at level 2. But FF8 is basically a game revolving around magic draws. The leveling is a trap and you should refuse to do it entirely.

That is another reason to hate level scaling; when it gets so bad that level up becomes a punishment.
Yeah i’ve spent a lot of time reading about the game and the issue with level scaling in FF8 and the junction system etc. The more I read the more confused I get. I mean how did SE screwed up the game so bad that you need to actively avoid leveling up in an RPG?

It's fine, just enjoy it. It's a good game despite problems such as the scaling.

saintjules

When I finished Chrono Trigger for the first time, I started new game+ and was surprised to see the enemies were still weak. I would have preferred level scaling in something like that.

raduque

dig it, diablo 3 stopped being fun to me once i was able to kill everything on screen with one button press.
Melting everything in one hit as a god-level, super powerful character is how it should work. I hate it when what should be a low level mob swipes me for 70% of my giant HP pool, and it takes me 19 hits to kill it back

The same goes to cinematic linear experience "If they want a game to be linear and cinematic then it defeats the entire purpose of playing videogames", lol (Nothing personal).
Video games can be different things, and a linear cinematic game is just a different experience from a super competitive arena shooter. Don't gatekeep.

Last edited:

twinspectre

Melting everything in one hit as a god-level, super powerful character is how it should work. I hate it when what should be a low level mob swipes me for 70% of my giant HP pool, and it takes me 19 hits to kill it back

Video games can be different things, and a linear cinematic game is just a different experience from a super competitive arena shooter. Don't gatekeep.
It is not gatekeeping, it is just the fact that we already have movies why should a medium that is far bigger "bend" over for Hollywood?

MiguelItUp

I didn't realize so many people disliked it. It's never really bothered me at all, because in the cases I've experienced it's clear that the scaling works the way it does for a specific reason/specific reasons. Nothing that I've ever played has ever felt like it was "just because", if that makes any sense. As long as I can "feel" the growth of my character in one way or another, I'm fine. Sure, sometimes the idea of flicking weak enemies with my finger only to have them explode sounds great, but it all depends on what the game is, how it plays, etc.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I didn't realize so many people disliked it. It's never really bothered me at all, because in the cases I've experienced it's clear that the scaling works the way it does for a specific reason/specific reasons. Nothing that I've ever played has ever felt like it was "just because", if that makes any sense. As long as I can "feel" the growth of my character in one way or another, I'm fine. Sure, sometimes the idea of flicking weak enemies with my finger only to have them explode sounds great, but it a;; depends on what the game is, how it plays, etc.
Diablo 4 also has difficulty levels, so you can just go down a difficulty level if you want things to explode...

Justin9mm

There needs to be balance, in general, levelling up should open you up to have more freedom with skills and abilities and make you feel more powerful but without being too overpowered and taking the challenge out completely unless the game is designed that way. I haven't played the Diablo games, very interested to try this one, but if it is as you described then the levelling to me seems to be broken / badly implemented.

raduque

It is not gatekeeping, it is just the fact that we already have movies why should a medium that is far bigger "bend" over for Hollywood?
Yes, it is. It's interactive and you're far more immersed into the world that you can be with a movie (unless I suppose one of those weird VR movies). It's the same type of logic as "phone games aren't game" or "game without combat (such as Gone Home or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter) aren't games" and it's just wrong.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
in d4 i know when i level up 10+ above lvl 50 i need to ditch my loot, that kinda sucks.
it feel weaker every time i level up.. better start to enter WT4 so i can get better loot pools

Last edited:

Bond007

FFXI did it right.
Level up- lower level mobs barely scratch you. Keep pushing end game content... eff around and find out how hard they wreck you. The game kept you on your toes while also recognizing your accomplishments both in rank and in loot.

twinspectre

Yes, it is. It's interactive and you're far more immersed into the world that you can be with a movie (unless I suppose one of those weird VR movies). It's the same type of logic as "phone games aren't game" or "game without combat (such as Gone Home or The Vanishing of Ethan Carter) aren't games" and it's just wrong.
Yes, exactly, the only immersion these "movie" like experience offers is the same as you being at the theater watching a movie.

Seriously. If this game didn’t scale a huge portion of content would immediately become pointless
I thought that was part of the point with changeable difficulty levels, that levels your enemies when you want and increases rewards.

danklord

Gold Member
For multiplayer, it's great. I was playing last night with two people who are at different points of the game. It's cool that we all can be effective and progress together with as little friction as possible.

For single player it is a bit frustrating if the game experience is the same but more all the time. Everything kind of feels like a tutorial until endgame.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s immersion breaking and fun breaking. Pulling off some stupid feat with your own ingenuity even though you’re underleveled, or because the devs didn’t account for your solution always feels rewarding. Invisible walls/artificial barriers always feel cheap.

If I wander into a cave in the first five minutes that has some lvl99 troll that one hits me, fine. If I can figure out a way to kill him anyway, even better. Don’t put up artificial barriers

Nightmare dungeons still seem to work this way.
But why can't the entire game? If I level up enough, early areas should be cakewalks on the normal difficulty. But, I should also be able to scale the enemies higher and increase rewards.

At least, that's how I prefer these types of RPGs. But, seeing enemies level up every time I level up, kind of makes everything feel pointless.

raduque

Yes, exactly, the only immersion these "movie" like experience offers is the same as you being at the theater watching a movie.
No, you missed my point. The interactivity of those types of games is FAR HIGHER than you get from a movie. Movies are passive experiences, games are not.

Schmendrick

D4 does it the worst by far. after putting in some time I see there is no CURVE to it. everything seems to be equal to your level at all times.
The curve is your gear. If your power curve is flat your gear or your build sucks.
It`s a looter, how come people expect levels to do anything but unlock better gear......

Calverz

I'm playing Diablo 4 rn, and while the game is amazing, I think level scaling is horse shit especially in games like this.
You're never really overpowered, each time you level up the enemies lvl with you, I wanna wreck their shit up with ease, isn't this the point of leveling up? To become god like being after been stuck in enemy, that's part of why the souls game feel so rewarding.
Now that I think about it, i don't think I ever liked level scaling in any game before
Right there with you op. It feels like the fun hs been sucked right out of Diablo if I’m honest. You never have those moments where you are destroying waves of enemies. It’s a shame because there are aspects of the game I really like.

I like the sense of progression of being able to go back to earlier areas and be godlike and overpowered for a bit, Diablo 4 literally just feels like your on a treadmill due to shitty level scaling, the Edge 7/10 was on the mark.

Top Bottom