• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostrunner: a dope cyberninja game canned by an ass last level

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Currently playing Ghostrunner and for 90% of its time it's an amazing game, which I highly recommend. Challenging, cool mechanics and approach in tackling each level and boss. It's a Super Hot meets Mirrors Edge, with a dope soundtrack...it works pretty damn well.

That is until you reach the last level, which has to be one of the highest difficult spikes levels I played in recent years and feels completely garbage.

What were the devs thinking? One thing is the game being challenging, which I'm fine with, the other one is the game coming up with ways to fuck up your skill. The wall sections in the last level are a gigantic pile o shit.

I'm sitting here trying to complete the game, and while super good at it I'm not bad either... and I must have 500+ deaths in the last level. Did a Google search and quite a chunck of people complained about the last level... In 2020.

Fast forward 3 years and the level performs exactly the same. Did they even try the level on consoles? Its fucking insanity.

I like the game a lot, but I'm just one click away of uninstalling it because the team behind the game decided to fuck around with the players on the very last level.

the office rage GIF

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Didn't really felt it.

Git gud?
Honestly don't feel like this is a git gud case.

That's for the likes of soulsborne games, which I've played and got good during them.

Like I said I had no issues at all with 90% of Ghostrunner. I like it a lot, but the wall jumping sections on the last level feel completely broken in comparison to the rest of the game... just to make it more difficult.

It's legit bullshit.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Seems like they've completely revamped the controls in the sequel, at least based on the demo that was just released. After trying the demo, I remember that I "owned" the original via PSN+ and gave it a whirl which was an awkward experience. At any rate, both games seem way too trial-and-error for my liking. And before anyone says it, I don't want to "get good".

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Seems like they've completely revamped the controls in the sequel, at least based on the demo that was just released. After trying the demo, I remember that I "owned" the original via PSN+ and gave it a whirl which was an awkward experience. At any rate, both games seem way too trial-and-error for my liking. And before anyone says it, I don't want to "get good".
Tried the demo and it's way more snappier and responsive. That block and parry mechanic are godsend.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Honestly don't feel like this is a git gud case.

That's for the likes of soulsborne games, which I've played and got good during them.

Like I said I had no issues at all with 90% of Ghostrunner. I like it a lot, but the wall jumping sections on the last level feel completely broken in comparison to the rest of the game... just to make it more difficult.

It's legit bullshit.
Again, didn't felt it. It was bit hard sure but nothing extraordinary after playing through the game. Have you tried adjusting power ups to something that might help? Like more boosts and such.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Again, didn't felt it. It was bit hard sure but nothing extraordinary after playing through the game. Have you tried adjusting power ups to something that might help? Like more boosts and such.
Eventually managed to clear it, but I still think it's a garbage level.

551 deaths on last level 😂.

Guilty_AI

Eventually managed to clear it, but I still think it's a garbage level.

551 deaths on last level 😂.
My only complaint is that those cyberspace segments always looked dullish, so i didn't like having one as the last level.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Ztb2Wrk.jpg

To be fair, it's one of the hardest plats to get on console. Only 0.7% has platinum.

Back buttons really helped me a lot and didn't have that much trouble getting it.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I saw a video of the end stage, and I wasn’t even going to bother. I know my tolerance for bullshit lol.

Hah! Now, I gotta see this. Will edit after...

Edit: Well, now, I spoiled myself. Now, I want to buy this shit. LOL. That final level is fucking cool! If you feel that this level is a difficulty spike, then, I feel that the rest of this game might be piss poor easy, but, I am not sure about difficulty options. I'm not stealth bragging, or anything like that, I am just calling it how *I* see it. I won't tell you to git gud or whatever, either. I know this type of shit is not for everyone. I tape out on shit I can't stand, and I have in my fair share of games. For sure.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Fuck this BS and stupid level design and levels like that in general in modern games. How does it even make sense? I mean, I get that it's a video game, but it's not early 2000s anymore with BS platforming, stupid balls you need to avoid and endless bottomless pits.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Fuck this BS and stupid level design and levels like that in general in modern games. How does it even make sense? I mean, I get that it's a video game, but it's not early 2000s anymore with BS platforming, stupid balls you need to avoid and endless bottomless pits.

Jesus, listen to that soundtrack! Daniel Deluxe went so hard.

Some of the best platforming in modern gaming. Can't wait for Ghostrunner 2

Drizzlehell

Banned
I thought that the first boss was the only truly maddening part but everything else after that was pretty much a breeze.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Doesnt look too hard

Top Bottom