• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's remember when IGN was fkn AMZING

Ezquimacore

Banned
We talk a lot of shit about ign these days, but there's a reason people consider IGN the biggest gaming media outlet, because back then they really were.

1. Fuck Final Fantasy

2. Project Milo

3. The Legend of Zelda Movie

4 Mass Effect Dance Party

5. The First 10/10
eYZz8fo.png

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Jeremy Dunham was the man, IGN was good when he was in charge.

Lotta good editors as well. I was always a big fan of Craig Harris and Levi Buchanan.

At the end of the day outlets don't write articles, editors do. They've had plenty of good and bad editors at different times.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It was good up until the did the big layout change where there were more ads than article in a page.

Otre

Banned
IGN was never amazing. It was only convenient since it was a hub to everything videogame related and those were scarce at the time. Now that theres been a load of them over the years just shows how mediocre at best IGN was.

Novacain

I was there when IGN was founded as a brand new website and it is what it has always been - a trash vector for videogame marketing.

They were never good, don't kid yourself.

Romulus

That Zelda trailer is the direction we're headed if it keeps devolving. Thanks, smartphone generation. Can't even create anything without looking at tictok every 30 seconds.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Isnt this the site that had that game review who plagiarized all this reviews?

After the whole 720p 1080p cirucs with the same clown begging Phil Spencer for a job on twitter.. no thanks.
Also the same site during the resolution wars who posted a 1080p pic of COD saying it looks so much better than 900p. It didn't seem so to me. But gamers seemed to agree. I guess my eyes arent that great.

Then they updated the article and said the 1080p image they uploaded was wrong and really was a 720p or 900p pic.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
You mean the gamecube days since the Nintendo side of that site was way more popular then the rest.

They had Matt C, Fran, Cory, Craig and Peer.
If it weren’t for Matt and Peer back in the N64.com days, we never would’ve never had the Smash Bros franchise in the US. NOA wasn’t going to localize it, they thought it wouldn’t sell. Peer and Matt convinced them to bring it over.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Isnt this the site that had that game review who plagiarized all this reviews?

Also the same site during the resolution wars who posted a 1080p pic of COD saying it looks so much better than 900p. It didn't seem so to me. But gamers seemed to agree. I guess my eyes arent that great.

Then they updated the article and said the 1080p image they uploaded was wrong and really was a 720p or 900p pic.
The horror!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They sure have lots of memorable articles.

Such as this article fresh after DS handling the PSP a sound defeat and Vita getting announced with a lackluster lineup.

LwAKQjl.png

Last edited:

Trunx81

Gold Member
Jessica Chobot was the best. Also a great person. Had the chance to meet her on GamesConvention. She even redid the PSP licking.

man i loved all the IGN podcasts. Fireteam chat with Fran and Sean Finnegan. Podcast Beyond used to be my fave. It became intolerable the last couple years. I can't stomach it. with that terrible Max and the new host.

Greg Miller back before he became completely insufferable. Alanah was good and Chobot. and that one boozehound dude that they thanos snapped and u never saw again. Vince Ingenito was good before that Amber heard like chick got him thanos snapped too

the only value IGN has is Ryan Mcaffrey and maybe NVC

Zannegan

Gold Member
I used to look forward to NVC every week, and Gamescoop was usually entertaining.

GAF is my source of rumors and speculation now though, and I'm good with that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
NHL 07 = 8.7 review.

Game was shit. Sloppy frame rate at 25-30 fps (NHL 08 reached 60 fps), bad gameplay, passes went in weird directions, bad physics where the goalies had pucks bouncing off their back. What you'd do is just toss any shot on net at any angle and there was a chance the goalie would let it trickle of his back for a goal. Or you ram him (no goalie interference) and you might ram in the puck yourself.

I get it that it was their first next gen game and skill stick was a new thing, but c'mon. It was crap.

Guy still gave it an 8.7.

The best part of the game was the new slick UI. It was that new EA Sports look with a black background with white fonts. Looked good and was fast.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
IGN was cool to look at for new media online waaaaaay back in the day, but that was really it IMO. At least that was the only time I visited them. Their reviews and everything were always so absurd though. I remember when I discovered GameTrailers, I frequented there more than anything else. At least until Destructoid came to exist.

Top Bottom